main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A little steam punk

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Lone_Padawan, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    This was a model I made some time ago in Truespace 3. The textures are fairly basic (I just slapped them on with no UV hence they look wrong in some places) but I'm quite pleased with the overall look. It's probably not as detailed as your Sci-fi models but thinking up detail to add to my models is always a problem for me... I notice coming back to it that some bits could be smoother and there are some clipping errors that need fixing.. so prehaps I will go back to it somewhen.. also it's been pointed out that the physics holding this thing together are kinda... impossible :)

[image=http://www.evanscwmynys.btinternet.co.uk/billabonga.jpg]

and here's a shot I made of it in flight using a photo I took as a background

[image=http://www.evanscwmynys.btinternet.co.uk/engine.jpg]

2. Darksteps

Darksteps Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    cute

would be a bit better on its own with a slightly higher polycount... since it looks like 2 engines strapped onto a really simple fuselage, with that style of steering, I would suggest using a biplane engine references of exterior engine detal... IMO anyway...

if that was done a few years ago, then doing should be farely simple for you now...
    ;)
    Darksteps...

3. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    I don't think there is any way to be politically correct about this. This has got to be one of the silliest images I've ever seen. It looks like a bunch of different "free" 3Dcafe models glued together, what some call kit-bashing. And the real point of the thread was to show the world that you figured out how to use the background image feature on one of the maps that come with the install. I'm sorry but I'm sitting here laughing looking at this thread.

There has been alot of complaining about silly threads lately but to me... personally... this is even below any of those threads. This is below models made with really simple primatives and no details. This is using Elmer's Glue in 3D. Say what you want before this one is closed. I thought I'd leave it up as an example to the rest of you out there. Don't post crap (sub-standard works that are below current SCIFI 3D standards) like this. Otherwise have a good laugh for a change around here. Enjoy....

P.S. Thanks for being honest and admitting that this isn't as good at the other SCIFI stuff.

4. Lone_Padawan

Apr 20, 2001
    Didn't use any free 3d models and I took the background photo myself. Accusing me of stealing others work in such a hurtful way is not good. I stopped downloading sci-fi 3d models a long time ago because I decided I wanted to do original stuff rather than jamming some x-wing in a scene, giving it a space background and then using someone elses models. If I have to fight to prove I didn't kit bash this I will. It may look odd with a ships wheel and large jet engines on wheels, but thats the look I was going for. I swear once again honest to any god you care to choose that I did not kit bash this! If you take my models to be 3d cafe models should I take that as a compliment?

5. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    I didn't accuse you of "stealing" anything. If I'm saying they look like 3Dcafe models is that a compliment? Yea you can take that as a compliment yea. The wheels look nice. All I'm really trying to say is the "standards" of the site and forum are kinda obvious to me... and we're cracking down on posts that are anything below that. Honestly, I don't know if there's anywhere on the net where you could post something like this... honestly. And outside the jokes and smartass stuff... I hope you become a good artist some day and wish you all the luck. We just don't want the forum clogged up with posts like this. Thanks.

6. Lone_Padawan

Apr 20, 2001
    Does nowhere on the web to post this mean it's that bad? Ah well, I try harder. But I honestly didn't just shove some models together.. prehaps I did just shove some of my models together as I went along with no clear design in mind...

I know this post will probably be closed due to lack of quality but some tips on where to add detail in these models would be nice.

[image=http://www.evanscwmynys.btinternet.co.uk/shuttle3.jpg]

[image=http://www.evanscwmynys.btinternet.co.uk/ship.jpg]

7. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    This is 10x times better.

I just want to promote actual good work here. I want to see people with good, and honest questions... and swapping of info, tips, advice, etc. I think stuff like this is just tests on learning how to do basic modelling. It's the kinda thing you should have on your harddrive till one day you get good and have something to actually show off. Or maybe you have a specific problem or complaint about the modelling process on a WIP. But this forum is not meant for people to share images of their learning process... a bio of the history of their skills. Wait till you have something good to show or ask a specific technical question. Otherwise please try to keep an actual documentary of your learning to model on your harddrive. This is all in relation to your original post.

8. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    damn zoo, what crawled up your butt this morning? lol

9. InvidShocktrooper

InvidShocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2003
    George, lately you're starting to sound like the old Tachy of days gone by.

<< I know all about Tachy and you're not even close.>>

10. Cmpfreek7

Cmpfreek7 Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2004
    Lone_Padawan, try http://www.scifi-meshes.com/ for a site that will let anyone in. It is also a site that generally has very high-quality stuff, but it also has a good number of new artists.

<< I agree. I tell people all the time to try SFM for advice and critique. There are alot more people there. >>

11. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    You know what they say, Zoo, if you can't say something nice... Become the SciFi3D Forum Mod. :D

No, but seriously, be quiet already. Your hoity-toity horse-feces is really starting to bother me. You notice how there seem to be fewer and fewer new threads here? Perhaps it's time to consider the possibility that you're scaring people the hell out of here. The model was more than primitives this time, and you know it. It looks like he actually used the Lathe tool, which connotes a lot more skill than most of the newbs whose rectums you've so recently shredded. So how about we climb down from our tower and stop lambasting folks, eh? Thanks.

[face_plain]

I for one liked the original model, even if it was an amalgamation of other prefab models. It was a cute, whimsical concept. Keep them coming.

<< I have noticed that. And I like it. No more junk threads... except for maybe once a week. I think there are a ton of places out there that will accept ANY thread. They may not reply to it but they'll let you post it. Other places might laugh you out of there, which in effect is a way of enforcing their standards. At least people are not flaming other people here... except me right now. But that's ok. I actually admire everybody here for standing up for these kinds of posts and wanting to help. Very admirable. But I think I'm being fair by just honestly telling people what our standards are. I don't know if anybody else would do it anyway. UH... I think if you look at the first picture you'll see there's a big diff. between that one and the second one. If you are honest with yourself.. the first one is laughable at best. Come on? The second is actually good and would have warranted no response from me. Your last comment... doesn't matter if you like it or not. That's irrelevant. The only reason you see what you see on the site now, today, is b/c there was a standard of game quality or better. If it wasn't for that the site would be full of all sorts of crap. And we all know some places do that. SWMA use to take "Everything". So why shouldn't the forum be the same? I think some people want to fight here with their right to post in a forum. And as far as I know there are NO forums anywhere that don't have rules, standards, etc. Better get used to it.>>

12. PapaFett

PapaFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    Christ O'mighty...

I'm out. This member work bashing is out of control and just not worth reading. So it's not a uber "cannon" E9-13 high poly model. It's fun and whimsical and worth looking at. Christ, the second one is better that some of the stuff available from the archive.

Maybe I'll drop in on this forum in a few months when whatever emotional crisis your having George, is over.

Cheers all.

<< Hmm... no. The first image is not high-poly, or even low-poly. It's just ridiculous. It's not the kinda post we want. This is not a "fun and whimsical" forum. It's the SCIFI 3D forum. Come on?? >>

13. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    Dr.Jones can get his password sent to him and speak for himself. Come on, give me a break!! Staff members disagree with things I do all the time. They might not agree with every single decision.. but they agree with getting rid of junk threads and maintaining the standards that we've worked hard for 5 years to create. Everything else is purely your opinion. And we all have them... and more often than not they very different. So it's expected to find people not agree with everything I do or say. But the fact is... and it's really simple... the standards of the site and forum will be maintained. We have to have standards. And I honestly don't think they're that high.

14. Lone_Padawan

Apr 20, 2001
    Yay, Dr Jones understands what I was trying to do....

I'm gonna get munched by Zoo now aren't I?

Anyway I'm only a newbie to sci-fi modeling really... I've been working on archi and object stuff in a couple of pre rendered games for a while and various models of catemerans (Ok.. I can't spell :p ) and other sailing boats (trying tall ships now as well, which are fun) Been working on a model of Minas Tirith as well (Only the upper citadel and a couple of generic houses done to my satisfaction though)
    but when it comes to sci-fi models I find it difficult to work out where to add detail...

anyway I'm probably gonna get munched now.

<< Munched? I'm not gonna do anything to anybody. The only reason I keep going over this over and over is b/c I want you guys to understand. Tachy... he was the kinda person that just said it's this way and I don't want to hear anything about it or I'll delete you. But I have to admit I'm really starting to get tired of the debate. You know.. you probably have a ton of stuff on your harddrive... but you also probably won't post them here. It's common-sense to me. >>

15. TheSithLord89

TheSithLord89 Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2004
    I understand where u are coming from.Dude when I first started modelling I was happy to know how to use the boolean system.LOL.But everyone starts somewhere,you just posted up those first 2 images to show off your work that your proud of.To be honest,your work wasnt great but its a start.But it wasnt a bunch of ******* primitives George.Now what you said was extremely uncalled for man.God,I dont know what the hell is your problem but that was just rude.Now that one thread awhile back that started a big arguement,now that was primitives but it also was a WIP model,so you slammed what he was justn beginning.Now this guy shows off some kitbashed work but you start bitching at him about it.You never did this before with old threads that had simple textures and models.But now, you just talk sh** about anyones model that isnt good enough for you.Now you lost Dr.Jones,who was a fantastic artist and contributor to this website.With out alot of his work,this site just wouldnt be the same.How many poor people are you willing to lose just because of your piss poor attitude.Your losing friends,and many people are going to stop posting stuff up because their going to be afraid that there going to be chewed up by you.I was a little nervous at first to show you my WIP model because of how you been lately I didnt want to listen to your sh**.You need to get a grip on what ever personal problem or family problem your in,because if you do have a problem with something outside of this forum dont come in here and raise hell with everyone because we dont deserve it.And when you do talk your smack to everyone its not positive at all.Your making enemies and your not helping anyone do better.So if you have to,go see a doctor.Go on a vacation,find yourself.Because your not acting like your self,your acting more of an.
    I have no more to say to you George,except I believe that this entire forum deserves an apology from you.

Lone_Padawan...Dont worry about getting munched out by Mr.Grinch.From how it looks right now hes the one thats getting munched at and he deserves it because all this sh** thats going on now is his doing,not yours.He is the one who needs to get it straight.But other then this im not going to bother with this thread know more and I wonder if I should bother at all about posting images of my WIP model also.Well good luck in the future lone_padawan,and dont take any of that bullsh** that George might say to you.

<< How hard is this to understand? We are not interested in posts of peoples "first rendered" images. There's very few people who have stuff that is their first and would be good for this forum. Those people are walking on water. Yea, 1/2 of what I said was a joke. The other 1/2 I think you guys are making a bigger deal of than the author of the thread. So why don't you guys just calm down a bit.

It's got nothing to do with being "good enough for me". The work on SCIFI 3D and other accepted threads here on the forum speak for themselves. It's not my standard.

Lost Dr.Jones? Mmm... ok. Kinda jumping to conclusions that are unfounded a bit don't you think. Dr.Jones does what he wants. It doesn't matter what I do. I'm sure he'll always participate when he has the time.

Good. I think people should be a little more careful and thoughtful about what they post here. In the past I don't think people were thinking about it at all. >>

16. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Uh.. I responded in each reply instead of here. Mmm it was just easier to do that way for some strange reason. The only response I edited was the "I'm speaking for Dr.Jones" post.

17. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    I just copy and pasted his message... the words were his, if he wants to find his password and repost his message oh well; he asked me to do it, so I did...

You are lucky that Jas, Simon(JDR), and Ansel never had to go thru this when they first started out in 3D. I mean if you had been this way toward them when they started out, you could kiss SOTS goodbye... I am suprised tobias hasn't pulled a topa to be honest.

I remember when Bertrand first started coming to this board, his work was very very amateur, and if you had treated him like this back then, you wouldn't have a lot of the stuff on your site that was made by him...

18. InvidShocktrooper

InvidShocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2003
    I think I'm done with this site. The Star Wars community is a somewhat small one and we should bolster one another not weed each other out because we don't meet any one person's standards. I am weary of this elitism and I feel that I can get a better vibe off other scifi boards. I know you don't want this to be a "student" board or a "novice" board but when you subject people to harsh unnecessary criticizm and say it's not good enough to be posted here you alienate members. Not all of us can churn out top quality meshes but when true fans of Star Wars can't get support from a Star Wars fansite then there's something seriously wrong. And I know you know all about Tachy George that's why I said it. This isn't Scifi-3D anymore it's the Scifi_3D_Zoo site. Have a good one though and no need to edit this because I won't read it.

-James

19. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    CRUNCHY: Those people all started off at the bottom like everybody else.. and they may have posted stuff similar to this guys "2nd set of images posted". But they never posted anything like the first. And if they would have they would have got the same response from me or others. You know... just to make everybody look real silly about this whole thing.. I should post this guys first image in the SCIFI 3D gallery. You know.. for 5 years I've had people send me all sorts of stuff. And I spend alot of time writing big emails to nicely and politely tell them basically it's not good enough. Sometimes it's just ridiculous what people send or post here. They just are not paying any attention to where they are sending stuff. No way not just us but anybody would accept something like that. And I've said it a million times before... why is the forum different? Who told some of you guys that the forum belongs to you and you can make the standards and rules as you see fit... so in effect there are dozens of different sets of rules and standards. One set for each one of you.

Anyway... now people are making accusations and rude insinutations. I mean, what does that mean you're surprised Tobias has pulled a Topa? Are you insinuating that Topa left b/c of me or something. These guys all know exactly what I'm doing.. and they agree with it. They may not all agree with everything I say but who would. But the idea I'm proposing is fully supported. And damnit... if I see stuff like that first image... I'm gonna blast you. WHO shouldn't expect that? People better start paying more attention to things before they post.

Bobabert never posting anything like that first image. I don't think he's ever had anything on his harddrive like that. You see the 2nd image? Why even post that first one if you can really model. But if Bobabert did he'd get the same. Remember... we're talking "standards" here. They're not different for anybody. It's all fair.

INVID: Every 2-3 years we go here. Things start getting crazy and a bunch of people leave saying we're elitists. It's a cycle I've become familar with. I don't want anybody to go away mad. But if you don't want to play ball then just go away. The rest of us will adapt, move on, and stop posting stilly threads. It's NOT ABOUT if your work is as good as somebody elses. It's NOT ABOUT if you can churn out top quality meshes as you say. That is IRRELEVANT. How many times do I gotta tell you guys this? You can be the worst artist in the world. You can make crap all day with your friends. You can laugh and play games like who can make the worst image. The "POINT" is... don't post it here. Being a fan is IRRELEVANT too. If you're a fan then talk some fan stuff. What's that got to do with posting crap. Yea yea. All you guys who go away mad come back. Maybe by then you'll have something good to show. I'm not interested in listening to insults and personal attacks. If you don't have some legitimate to say don't reply to any thread.

20. LordPhobos

LordPhobos Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2003
    I think there is a big difference between criticism and constructive criticism - namely that one is good for the community and the other is bad. I think that line needs to be drawn, and never crossed.

I agree that the quality of work submitted to SF3d should be only of the highest degree. I don't really want to see a few boxes slapped together as a "X-Wing", as I'm sure most people don't. But I'm failing to see the harm in people posting their work in the forums just to showcase what they can do, and what they have done that they are proud of. If Lone_Padawan had prefaced his message with something like "Here's the model I'm submitting to SF3d" then I would be one of the first to pipe up and tell him that it's probably not up to par with the other models. However, he didn't. He was just showing his work off, and although it's not high poly or "professional", he's proud of what he's done and was probably just looking for advice on how to improve it. I think the best way to have approached this thread, as well as any others that pop up like it, are to nurture the artist, not tell them that "This has got to be one of the silliest images I've ever seen" and "I'm sorry but I'm sitting here laughing looking at this thread". That's just hurtful. I've had my work showcased here on SF3d, and if someone told me my work was silly or that someone was laughing at it, I too would feel hurt.

I agree that rules need to be in place, but I think they should apply more towards "How do I make a box in Max?" type threads and not to discourage artists from trying their best. If we only allowed Dr. Jones and company to post their models, then this site would be limited to the models they make. I myself came to this site, and these forums, because I really enjoyed the open community of sharing. That's why I chose to make my AT-TE, because I felt a sense of companionship here. I think encouraging, not discouraging, that is the best way to help grow this community. On the path is seems to be headed on, I think the opposite effect is happening - and fast.

21. NickDW

NickDW Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2004

I have to agree with that last sentence you wrote Phobos......because I won't be back. I guess if enough of us leave it'll be Zoo and friends forum which is how he seems to want it to be.

Good luck to everyone and take care.

Nick

22. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    You know.. it's easy to feel sorry for somebody who you think is being picked on. LordPadawan has my sympathy too. I'll make an official apology now I'm past my initial feelings on seeing the first image. I don't mean to hurt any feelings... and I'll be the first one to admit that newbies now are often pros later.

But don't forget the reason for this whole fiasco. The forum was being overrun by silly threads. I make all these stickies to try and help organize and clean it up and I close dozens of threads... and people still post silly stuff. We're talking about a very "objective" thing here. Standards. What does that mean? Obviously something different to everybody.

When Maxer and I first dreamed up SCIFI 3D we thought a good place to set standards is on game quality cinematics or higher. Now even that is open to opinion. Somebody could bring some $9.99 game with horrible "in-game" cinemas (no pre-renders) and say what about that. We can all argue ALL day long. But the fact is you all know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. And some I think really don't seem to understand that this is not some open public forum where you are free to post whatever you want. It's gotta be related to SCIFI 3D and SCIFI 3D standards. If it's good decent attempts at something people have been allowed to post all sorts of things. It's not a forum just for stuff to be submitted. I really don't think we're going overboard on that and just putting a lockdown on you guys. But we have to draw the lines somewhere. I really wish we had a diff. situation with more structured forums. But you know, if I made a NEWBIE sticky people would still post this same exact thread. So I'm not gonna spend hours writing up a new FAQ, or making all sorts of stickies that will just disappear in 12 months and I'll have to make again. People will still do this. And I will still have to step in and enforce the standards. I will promise not to mess around and be silly anymore. I promise. I'm not a whole lot better than LonePadawan and I'll be the first to admit it. But damnit... people wonder where my work is at. I run the site and there's nothing of mine anywhere... modelling texturing -wise. You ever wonder why? Because it would be hypocritical of my to bend the standards for myself. I'm more of an editor than a modeller. I could bend the rules on that and post all sorts of my "own" editing projects... hey hey look at me. That's why you don't see much from me. It's not good enough. So why should other people feel they can post whatever they want just to try and get some notiarity.

To me... the issue here is the same as it's always been since the SWMA days. People just want to see their name on the site. Years and years ago I had the same goal. I just wanted to see my name on something on SWMA. Then after I figured out I wasn't making anything I wanted my name on I gave up. The SAME thing is happening here. What is there to comment on with some of these threads? Alot of times there's nothing even asked. It's like here it is... my first pic. I think people just want to put something in this board b/c they are really impressed with work of people like you LordPhobos. But you know, that's really nice and flattering, but I can't let people do that to the forum.

23. robo_obi

robo_obi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    i completely agree with what ur saying zoo

i remember posting a tennis racket once.......lol....and i don't remember it hanging around long..lol

for those who are just starting out...maybe here is not the place.... you could try somewhere like:

www.cgtalk.com

This is a good place for new guys, they have a very organised system and people work is rarely locked or deleted....everyone is there to help you basically.....

but thats not saying that people here aren't willing to help either.....because i know they are....they've helped me in the past and i'm grateful for that.....i agree that there is a level of quality expected here...and i've seen it in people like Dr Jones, Kackie_Chan_Fan,bobabert and the like.......

which is why, after the tennis racket....i didn't post work for a while....built up my skills...until i thought i was at a level somewhere near these guys (although i still don't think i am), then I posted Grevious and along with Darth_Steven that thread is proof that people help around here.....

ok now my rant is over cos i have a headache

24. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    WHOA WHOA. CGtalk. No, I wouldn't recommend that. I'm still trying to see if we can get just one thing featured there, at least in the forum. Over the years I've worked out with CGtalk/Networks and CGchannel to feature out site once but that's about it. I'd like to see if we can get a CGtalk award now. So that's not a good place for newbies to post stuff. I would recommend... Renderosity.com. They seem to allow people to post their own galleries there.

If you want "help". I still and have always recommended SCIFI-MESHES. Their mission or goal is to offer peer review and support. SCIFI 3D is more about supporting the fan film community. And of course we all have galleries and other things.. but these are not our main goals.

Another thing there... you don't have to be like Jackie, Boba, You, etc. to post here. There's plenty of average or even below-average stuff accepted. There's even such meshes on the site.

People will help yes.. in the community in general. Our 3D Community. If the thread is acceptable people can get help here too... but it's not a place specifically for tutoring... and posting tennis rackets, etc. That's a good example of the kinda thinkg we don't want here. I HONESTLY don't think SCIFI MESHES wants that either though. They have their "content" standards too. We're all more about tv/film/scifi/etc. Go to Renderosity.com and post that.

25. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Yeah, SFM is probably a far better place..

The thing about places like CGTalk (and most of the places with "CG" as part of their name) is that they're packed to the gills with professionals. And the higher the level of work on a forum, the less likely they're going to be to suffer fools.

Bear in mind there's a difference between a "newbie" and a "n00b". A "newbie" is simply someone who's recently gotten into CG, and it trying to learn all they can. They tend to try things themselves and ask for help only when they simply can't do it alone. They tend to ask the more intelligent questions, even if the problem is simple.

A "n00b", on the other hand, recently downloaded the program and wants to make ILM-level CGI for their movie, and they want to do it right now. They ask the world's dumbest questions, and always jump in waaaay over their heads.

Bear in mind that those statements are not in any way pointed to anyone in this thread, it's a general blanket statement to people that might be thinking about going to play with the "big boys" at places like CGTalk. Figure out which category you're in.. if you're a "newbie", have at it.. you'll find more help there than you'll know what to do with. If you're a "n00b", you won't be long for this world if you head there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.