main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A live action and a new animated SW series?? (From the Marketing meeting)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by wstraka5, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    From the TFN article about the SF Marketing meeting which occured on 11/5 (note, there are some Ep. 3 spoilers that you can highlight in that article. I'll just post the relivant part here):

... One little fun fact - seems that they have TWO Star Wars television ideas floating around the ranch...one would be animation and the other - LIVE ACTION. These television projects would be in 2006. Let's hope they're better than the Star Wars Christmas Special, or those Ewok films.

Could the new animated series substantiate the rumored information that Tartakovsky is leaving CN and going to work for LFL that I reported yesterday?? Here

And a live action SW series? What is it going to be? Is this even accurate?

Thoughts?

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I'll take animated Star Wars over live-action TV series anyday.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Depends on what the live-action is... ;)

4. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    The rating would be PG to PG-13, my friend. Not pay-per-view. ;)

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that it has potential... just as long as they get some of the right actors...

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Tsk tsk, dp4... And you're a mod too. :p

7. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I love the Clone Wars animation. NAd would not mind a full time show I also would notmind live action

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Believe it or not, I wasn't actually thinking impure thoughts.

NJO == BAD.
    Rebellion-era == GOOD.

Imagine a SpecForce TV series, a la Mission: Impossible? Page's Commandos?

An X-Wing live-action, similar to Earth: Above and Beyond (or whatever it was called).

A KoTOR-era live-actioner? Lightsabers and Sith ALL THE TIME, because there are literally THOUSANDS of Sith around in the Galaxy?

9. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    The fanbase is divided enough as it is. I fear a live-action TV show would only expand the rifts.

10. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    That's what I feared YodaJeff, but i feel an animation series wouldn't have this effect.

11. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Ditto, Guff. Because an animated series isn't supposed to be completely realistic (to Star Wars standards), we expect it to have a bit of artistic interpretation.

But, with live action, we would expect everything to be the same as the Star Wars films (in terms of scale, effects, epic stories, characters, etc), and we wouldn't that with a live action TV show.

Yeah, after Episode III comes out, as much as I hate saying this, I kind of want Star Wars to just end there... On a high note. :D

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    By 2006 all the sets and ships, droids, vehicles, locations etc will likely be almost 100% CG. Meaning it wouldn't actually particularly hard to replicate the look and feel of the movies.

I think everything would hinge on the plots, scripts and actors...

13. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that it would be difficult to do a live action... it would turn into star trek real fast...

14. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I agree with the blue clone above me.

Star Wars was meant to be seen in the theater, on the big screen. Lucas himself said that prior to the SE release in 1997.

I think something animated would be more appropriate and of a quality that matches the medium.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Star Wars was meant to be seen in the theater, on the big screen. Lucas himself said that prior to the SE release in 1997.

And yet here we are in a Star Wars TV forum. And we all own Star Wars videos and DVDs...

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- I've said all along that a live action SW TV show could easily be done and still maintain the quality of the films.

With proper planning and Lucas's little ILM discount, the FX and stuff would be easy to pull off- I'd be more worried about the scripts, myself.

Afterall, shows like Babylon 5/Crusade, Farscape and SG-1 have pulled off cutting-edge FX in the past, for bugets not much over 1 million an episode.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    B5 == Best. TV. EVER.

18. DexVader_22

DexVader_22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2003
    instead of debating about whether they'll be animated or live action, lets start shelling out possible ideas for these tv shows.

im thinking since the shows are scheduled to get started right after episode three is released then maybe we'll see something about the jedi purge. possibly with boba fett, aurra sing, all the bounty hunters from ESB.

but ABSOLUTELY NO VADER.
    nothing would cheapen his character more than seeing him in a bad TV series.

"its too risky"

19. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    True. I'm glad this animated series wasn't set in a time that would allow for Vader to be seen.

Dunno, just something about it would seem wrong. :)

But I'm very excited about this series as it is! :D

20. Darth_Diesel

Darth_Diesel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2003
    I'd like it to be live action. If shows like Star Trek, Xena, and Fastlane were capable of cranking out weekly shows that feature a good amount of post-production work, I don't see why a quality show for SW can't be made. There are so many books, games, and fanfics that have such excellent material. There'd be enough for many seasons.
    I'd also like it to be edgier than the movies. Dump the wannabe Shakespearean dialogue for something less formal, but don't get in to the "yo homey" slang. Maybe the show can have a theme similar to the Jedi Academy game where it follows young jedis on missions. And, yes (I'll put on my flame retardant suit now), a couple of bullet time effects and flips wouldn't hurt here and there.

Having full seasons to deal with events, things won't be rushed. And we can see nice political involvements as well as jedi action and training as well as space combat. I know I wouldn't be able to get enough.
    I hope this turns out to be true. I've been hoping for a TV show for years.

21. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    well, I started this across in spoilers, but got locked by people more interested in accurate filing than entertaining discussion, so I suppose I'll repeat my points here.......

I've said it before, and I'm about to say it again.......

"Han and Chewie - the early years" would seem like the obvious candidate for live action television treartment.

Between the end of EpIII and ANH, here's a ten to twenty year period in the timeline where we've got
    a) Han in full space cowboy mode
    b) Chewie, pulling amrs out of sockets
    c) The Falcon, smuggling and breaking hyperspace records
    d) the Empire, in its prime
    e) Jabba, in his prime
    f) bounty hunters, loads of 'em
    g) fledgling rebellion stuff too

come on, fanboys, look me in the eye and tell me that the idea of such a TV series doesn't turn your heartbeat up......

If you want more on this notion, check the locked thread here

cheers
    Donk

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    What you describe sounds like it'd be an adaptation of the Han Solo Trilogy and/or Han Solo Adventures. (Which I'm all for- great series).

>>nothing would cheapen his character more than seeing him in a bad TV series.<<

Or a bad holiday special? [face_batting]

>> B5 == Best. TV. EVER.<<

Agreed, I doubt any show will ever surpass the writing quality and sheer scope of B5.

23. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Live action? PU. More animated shows? Yes please. Honestly, unless they got the actual actors and actresses for the live action stuff, it would be an abomination. Almost criminal. But I see that some people here would like a live action show, and if done right, well, that could be good. I've seen miracles happen in the past.

24. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Well, I'm not 100% on the idea of a live-action series. If it isn't done properly I think it'll cheapen SW a lot. :(

I reckon it'd work best with totally new characters, that way there's no "comparing" between the actors (which incidentally would ruin that nice 'canon' thing they've got going on ;) ). If they set it before the PT, they can still have Yoda in there, as I reckon he'd be acceptable as a 'link'.

I like the idea of a 'Jedi Council' series, with various Jedi going on missions each week, but with an overall plotline running in the background. But again, it has to be well done. [face_plain]

I'd hate to see SW 'ruined' for the sake of Lucasfilm making money. (Although it occurs to me that that sentence could sound cynical ;))

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

25. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
    It would have to be either NJO or pre-TPM periods to really hit hard in the ratings, granted people would watch it anyway at least for a while. The prequels have spoiled us for Jedi action. I don't think a little kid would be too thrilled watching a Rogue Squadron TV series. Of course they could do like the Star Wars Tales comic book and kind of make it an anthology program. I could really dig that.

EDIT: And I mean live action of course. I don't think it would turn into a Star Trek, as long as the production values are as high as they were on The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.