main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A live action and a new animated SW series?? (From the Marketing meeting)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by wstraka5, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amidalak

amidalak Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2003
    i would rather see that than doing any of the books. i want something original, not something i already know. plus, only about 5% of the eu books are worth reading anyway. they fill the void, but they aren't that great in quality.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>i want something original, not something i already know.<<

However, the majority of the audience isn't familar with the book stories, so it'd be original to them. Lord of the Rings being around in book form for a few decades hasn't hurt the film's performance, afterall.

>>plus, only about 5% of the eu books are worth reading anyway. they fill the void, but they aren't that great in quality.<<

That's a matter of personal opinion- I'd say it's more like 85%. I've found most of the EU worth reading and of good quality, with only a few notable exceptions (Crystal Star and Planet of Twilight being most notable).

3. Darth-Presley

Darth-Presley Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2003
    We should accept the fact that while any SWTV may have EU characters (and that's a biiig "may"), we will not be seeing any adaptations of existing EU novels or comics.

Lucasfilm just doesn't work that way - it'd be like Paramount filming Star Trek novels> not gonna happen.

And what would be the point from both a financial and creative point of view? None of those novels or comics would benefit from an adaptation - they are what they were created to be and they were not created to be the basis for future film and TV shows. The water don't flow that way.

Also - we won't be seeing Rebellion or post-Rebellion eras either. All the creative meat of the SW timeline is prequels and earlier. I don't think you could sell a wide appeal TV show that happens after the end of the story.

I still want a Jango Fett is Clint Eastwood meets James Bond in the decaying cities, teeming jungles, and Wild Wests of Outer Space show -

so everybody, say with me STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTER!! That's the show we want!!

4. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    That's a matter of personal opinion- I'd say it's more like 85%.

and that's my point, a live action tv show, to be realistic, needs to grab as much of the star wars community as possible and some casual viewers in order to stay on the air. there is a large group of people in our community who do not like the majority of the eu, and alienating them from a live action tv show decreases the chances of the show being successful. eu characters are not a problem, as long as there are also readily recognizable characters for the casual viewer. but rehashing eu stories, i agree, just isn't going to work.

cartoon's would be a better medium to realize existing eu, it doesn't require as large an audience and would probably be more cost effecive.

and comparing the star wars eu literature to the Lord of the Rings is ridiculous, imho. LOTR is considered by many to be classic fantasy literature, appealing to a far broader audience than star wars literature. star wars literature isn't even in the same league, and really only appeals to those of us who are already star wars nuts.

5. TheJediMonkey

TheJediMonkey Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2003
    My god, this sounds awesome. "Too much like Star Trek?" In what sense? In that it would be an hour long sci-fi drama / adventure show?

There are tons of those that have been done quite successfully...

And frankly, there's a bit of a void right now for TV watchers like myself with regards to sci-fi / fantasy...

Hercules and Xena are gone, but they weren't really the best anyway.

ST:TNG and DS9 are gone, Voyager's gone, but who cares, and my area doesn't get UPN, but ST:Enterprise isn't very good.

Farscape is gone. Buffy is gone.

This really, really, really sucks, frankly. And hell, I say pull Mark Hamill out of Jedi retirement and you're good to go insofar as I'm concerned.

All you do is set it up during a period that the EU hasn't covered yet, simple as that - it's the same thing new novel authors do, why not with a TV show?

Not only that, what would be the harm of a show that didn't completely follow EU continuity?

For example, I read X-Men comic books. I also watched the cartoon show as a kid, but that was completely different continuity-wise, but I still loved it because they saved the important part, the characters and the major themes. Same thing with the movie, and the same thing with the new Ultimate X-Men, a modern-day retelling of the story... all of them are good, only one of them is "real continuity," or "canon."

6. Trevor Vanth

Trevor Vanth Jedi Master

Dec 9, 1999
    Well, since the grapevine is saying that they're talking about both a live-action and animated show, here's my thoughts (just shy of predictions)....

For anything Rebellion-era or after featuring the main characters, the most logical route to go is animation. With Harrison Ford commanding big bucks for the big screen, and some of the actors not physically fitting the mental picture the post-RotJ books paint of them, animation overcomes those hurdles. As for voice casting, Hamill might be willing (given his prolific voice acting resume in the past decade or so), and they could possibly also pursue Perry King, Ann Sachs, and/or any of the other radio drama voice actors. Safe bet that Anthony Daniels would sign up, as well.

For live-action, I'd suggest a Tales of the Jedi/Knights of the Old Republic timeframe. It could allow for the Jedi action that the casual viewer would probably expect and has a larger unexplored window of time to play in. I'd also say that a Rogue Squadron series could work well in live action, but - just as I'd be wary of any filmed project sprung from the Star Trek: New Frontier novels without author Peter David strongly involved - I'd be a bit wary of a Rogue Squadron series without Mike Stackpole involved.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> We should accept the fact that while any SWTV may have EU characters (and that's a biiig "may"), we will not be seeing any adaptations of existing EU novels or comics.<<

I wouldn't count on it- McCallum has hinted at a Shadows of the Empire adaptation of osme kind in the past, and most people would be very satisfied with a live action version of the Thrawn Trilogy.

>>Lucasfilm just doesn't work that way - it'd be like Paramount filming Star Trek novels> not gonna happen.<<

There's a very important and distinct difference though:
    Star Trek novels are not considered part of ST continuity by Paramount and exist seperately from the TV shows.
    SW novels ARE considered part of SW continuity by Lucasfilm and exist alongside the films.

>>And what would be the point from both a financial and creative point of view?<<

There are tons of good stories in the EU, many of which would never be expierienced by people who enjoyed the films because not as many people are willing to pick up a book as they are to pop in a movie. You'd be presenting these good stories to a wider audience and thus providing a greater service to those stories. If you have good stories, those stories deserve to be presented to the widest possible audience.

>>None of those novels or comics would benefit from an adaptation - they are what they were created to be and they were not created to be the basis for future film and TV shows. The water don't flow that way. <<

Actually, since SW crosses multiple media, it DOES flow that way. The novels and comcis weren't created to be made into films or TV shows, but that doesn't prevent them from being adapted into those formats. Multiple books and comics have been adapted into full-cast audio dramas, situations from the novels and comics have made their way into the games, and novels have been adapted into comics.

And the main benefit to the audience is the simple fact that SW is a visual story, and actually watching and hearing a starfighter dogfight or a lightsaber duel is infinitely more enjoyable than reading about one. It would also give form and shape to beings, characters, locations and people never well illustrated or presented and make those elements much more memorable and three-dimensional.

>>and that's my point, a live action tv show, to be realistic, needs to grab as much of the star wars community as possible and some casual viewers in order to stay on the air.<<

You put a live action SW show on the air and you will have a large portion of the community tune in, and an even larger audience of casual viewers will as well- more so than die-hards I'm sure.

>>there is a large group of people in our community who do not like the majority of the eu, and alienating them from a live action tv show decreases the chances of the show being successful.<<

There is a large group of people in our community who do not like the majority of the Prequel Trilogy, also, but that hasn't stopped many of them from going to theaters to watch the new movies, or hurt the general success of the PT financially.

And, the general viewing audience doesn't care overall about such distinctions and would more than compensate for any film purists who choose not to tune in.

>>cartoon's would be a better medium to realize existing eu, it doesn't require as large an audience and would probably be more cost effecive.<<

Adapting EU to a cartoon would be no different than adapting it to a live action series, in terms of concept.

>>and comparing the star wars eu literature to the Lord of the Rings is ridiculous, imho.<<

I'm just using it as an example of something where the storyline was previously known by a wide audience for decades and still managed to be a successful live action (film) series.

>>star wars literature isn't even in the same league, and really only appeals to those of us who are already star wars nuts. <<

You'd be surprised- there are many people who read SW books before they even saw the movies.

However, I grant that spin-off literature will never be as wide a readin

8. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    well, 2ndquest i guess we have a difference in opinion of the quality of the star wars eu. and i don't necessarily agree with most of your arguments, because, like most of mine, they are just opinion. but on a different note, isn't it pretty great that lucasfilm is even considering this and we can hash these ideas out?!

9. Landfarer

Landfarer Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2001
    ...and hey, who said Farscape is gone? Check cinescape.com, there's a press conference coming up with the Jim Henson company to announce more Farscape, so that show is DECIDEDLY not dead yet.

But yes, there is, otherwise, a void in the genre right now. And for the next several years, I'm willing to bet. Whoever's first to fill that might be the king of sci-fi for the next few TV seasons.

Looks like Star Wars in some kind of format on TV might fill the gap just nicely.

Ah well, just my two cents.

10. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    I know how they can do a live TV show and still keep the budget down...

...set the show on modern Earth! It would be just like Galactica 1980. Some Jedi could travel to Earth somehow and the show would be about their wacky adventures.

*ducks*

11. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    I would love to see stories from the EU used in live action or cartoons.

I was six when ROTJ came out and while I enjoyed watching the OT as a child, Star
    Wars never pulled me in. My Star Wars action figures never got the love and attention my GI Joe's and Transformers enjoyed! Then, as a teen, when I read the Thrawn Trilogy, I was amazed at how enthralling the Star Wars Universe actually was. The books passed to my parents, close family, and some friends and we all became born-again fans. I'm 26 now, and like most of you, I'm a Star Wars nut! All thanks to the EU.

That being said, however, I would also like to see new stories just for the fact that I want to see or read as many different Star Wars stories as I can.

On a side note: It's funny how people are complaining about EU, when the fact is that anything created after Episode 3 is going to be EU anyway (whether it's based on existing EU or new material). So you're arguing about using EU material in the EU, hmmm.

12. TheJediMonkey

TheJediMonkey Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2003
    Yeah, 2ndquest, I guess you're right.

But at the same time, I always used to hope and daydream that they'd get Hamill back as Luke Skywalker in some form or fashion in some EU tv show... Perhaps maybe I'd just played a bit too much Wing Commander III at the time, but whatever.

It seems they've flash-forwarded continuity to an almost unrecognizable state 30 years later with Yuuzhan Vong running around and all sorts of crazyness. So maybe that couldn't be done now, and Hamill really isn't aging terribly well. :(

I'd still say it'd be cool to have a TV show set after ROTJ, even if it were an elseworlds, "Infinities-style" storyline.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, there's certainly room for a post-ROTJ series...it just couldn't feature the main characters much (otherwise there'd be too much to explainw ithout adapting the major EU works anyways).

The only way they could get Mark back as Skywalker would be to make an NJO or post-NJO series, where his current age would be appropriate.

Still, I think it'd be a little strange for people to expierience the NJO/post-NJO era without seeing some of the prior events, as the NJO really acts best as the ultimate climax of all the SW adventures that transpired before it- which is why, in my proposed TV show layout, the NJO acts as the final two seasons of a 7-season long series that spans from A New Hope to NJO: The Final Prophecy, which each season being relatively self-contained, except for the dual-season NJO story arc, so that the show could end on a good note should it be cancelled prior to completing 7 seasons. (the prequel and intra-trilogy eras would be covered by a second series of 5 to 7 seasons)

14. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    i still don't agree that lucas won't blow eu continuity out of the water if he wants, but even though i'm not a huge fan of the eu, 2nd quests idea would probably be alright. i still think it would work better as a cartoon, and i would hope that only the better stories in the eu would be used, because i still say 95% of the books are pretty terrible. most are the same story over and over, superweapon built, superweapon destroyed, yippee! i just don't think that most of the stories in the eu are good enough to make a tv series out of.

15. Lavaman

Lavaman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2003
    I remember an interview with Rick McCallum, in Star Wars Insider magazine, about location scouting for Episode III(for Photo Plates). He mentioned a great location in Rumania or somewhere close by, with great Architecture for filming, but that it would not be used for Episode III. Rick said he might use it for a future project maybe he was thinking about the rumored live action TV project. Rick McCallum got his start Producing on The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, it's possible that he might Produce another Series.

16. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    i still like the idea of a young(er?) yoda series, but the cgi would probably make it too expensive.

17. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    the clone wars canon? thread made me think of this, but hasn't george himself said the only thing that is canon is the movies? i think i remember that comment being attributed to him. that could have great bearing on how a star wars tv show is realized.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    the clone wars canon? thread made me think of this, but hasn't george himself said the only thing that is canon is the movies? i think i remember that comment being attributed to him. that could have great bearing on how a star wars tv show is realized.

You're wrong, but we're not going to be debating canon here.

So no more lines of discussion along those lines... :)

19. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    what am i wrong about, that george said that or that it will have bearing on a possible tv show? and why can't we discuss why george saying that would or wouldn't have an effect on the direction of a tv show?

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Because a) you're misquoting (hence, wrong) and b) we're not entertaining canon debates here on this Forum.

21. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    And hell, I say pull Mark Hamill out of Jedi retirement and you're good to go insofar as I'm concerned.

I agree with TheJediMonkey. I don't care if it's a movie, tv show or cartoon. I must see an older Luke Skywalker kicking butt and taking names. I would perfer it be live action but if Hamill is only the voice in a cartoon that would be ok as well.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I agree with TheJediMonkey. I don't care if it's a movie, tv show or cartoon. I must see an older Luke Skywalker kicking butt and taking names. I would perfer it be live action but if Hamill is only the voice in a cartoon that would be ok as well.

If it were Luke Skywalker vs. The Joker -- would he do BOTH voices?!?

[face_shocked]

23. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Yes. Yes he would.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>i still think it would work better as a cartoon<<

While I love animation, SW just screams to be live action, and I have the feeling that the audience for an animated adaptation would reach too limited and audience to achieve anything noteworthy. Case in point- Han and Leia's reaction to the death of one of their sons is one of the most emotionally sad and tear-inducing scenes in the EU. No matter how effective the animation, I just cannot believe the scene would be as effective in animated form as it would be in live action.

>>and i would hope that only the better stories in the eu would be used<<

If you check out my layout, it's basicly composed of stories that are either A) Good or B) important to future good storylines.

>>most are the same story over and over, superweapon built, superweapon destroyed, yippee!<<

One thing I did was group almost all the major superweapon stories (Dark Empire, Dark Empire 2, Jedi Academy Trilogy, Children of the Jedi & Darksaber) into a single season (the 4th season, to be precise), so that instead of becoming a reused plot device throughout the series, it becomes a major theme of that particular season (cleaning up after the superweapon developments of the Empire, set against the training of the new Jedi and final push by a unified Empire).

The only superweapon not accounted for in that season is Centerpoint Station, and that's only if you consider it as being a superweapon, which I do not, personally, as well as the fact that it wasn't an Imperial superweapon, so ot's inclusion would have been against the general theme of the season anyways.

25. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    I'm really trying but I can't possibly imagine a live-action Star Wars series not sucking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.