main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A live action and a new animated SW series?? (From the Marketing meeting)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by wstraka5, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JibClimmer

JibClimmer Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2003
    Nothing in any of the movies measures up to the quality of the EU books set after ep. VI (all of them together with NJO). They simply rock so much. Except for that one series, uh, Dark something, that just made everything up. true, they have continuity problems, but so do the movies.

2. amidalak

amidalak Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2003
    Your whole argument is based on the notion that the fans who would not watch any adaptation of an EU novel, without even giving it a chance to win them over, is enough to hurt their ratings and influence their choices!

i do believe that's the case, with this modification: adding the people who might try to watch a series adapted from an eu novel initially, and not like it. look at the difference between how ep. 1 did and ep. 2 did. i think that was mostly due to people who saw ep. 1, hated it, and created a backlash to the prequels, and to an extent, star wars in general. a tv show can't afford that kind of backlash, not when people can easily turn the channel to alias, pokemon, friends, reruns of the cosby show, or any other of the hundreds of shows it would compete with. hitting the button on the remote is just too easy. but again, why do something that you know has the potential to alienate a group of the fans when you can do something that will potentially please most of the fans. better put, what is the possibility that fans would reject a star wars show, cartoon or otherwise, that wasn't an adaptation of a piece of eu lit compared to one that was? and i was referring primarily to a live action show, but i think my argument applies to a cartoon as well.

my feelings about this mostly has to do with what we agree on, that the audio visual medium is immensely important. and without getting too much into the idea of canon, a lot of people look at eu lit as seperate from the movies, regardless of what the "official" lucasfilms attitudes are. up till recently the only audio visual display we have had is the movies (excluding the video games), making the audio visual medium the "key", so to speak, to canon in the minds of some. i just think any version of the eu lit put into the audio visual medium runs the risk of alienating fans who have not accepted eu lit as canon. i guess the argument can be made that fans must accept the eu lit as canon, but i just don't think that is necessary, when there are so many other viable possibilities in our star wars universe for cartoons or live action shows.

my opinion's on this aren't based on the idea of depriving anyone of anything, but i do think putting star wars into the audio visual medium of tv and having it be successful depends a great deal on both pleasing and not upsetting as much of the fan base as possible because, unlike movies, there is just too much competition on tv.

i will say this, though, if they did adapt a eu novel to a show of any kind, zahn's are as good as any. admiral thrawn and mara jade are interesting and charismatic characters that probably would translate well to the a/v medium, even if i'm not all that crazy about all of the story elements in the zahn trilogy. just as long as they stay away from the dark empire comics. i think they, out of all the eu books and comics, have the greatest potential to sink an attempt at putting star wars on tv.

Nothing in any of the movies measures up to the quality of the EU books set after ep. VI (all of them together with NJO).

:confused: a differing opinion that made my jaw hit the floor when i read it! to each their own, i guess :)

3. jedizen

jedizen Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2003
    Is there any sort of official word that there may be more cartoons made?

I, for one, would love to see a cartoon focused solely on the arc troopers. This way there would be no spoiling the continuity of the films - the story could be about the training, deployment, and victory of one arc trooper unit in a certain battle.

I don't really see it happening, but hey I can wish, can't I?

4. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Well, I geuss there would be ARC's in them, but I like the format the series is in just now. So we would see ARC's, just not as much as you would like ;)

The arcs (story arcs, not ARC's) should be longer though.

5. Pixel

Pixel Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2003
    the next Star Wars shows should be entirely made in 3D ! like Final Fantasy ..

6. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    You mean CGI ;)

Parts of Clone Wars and most other cartoons are CGI too ;)

Personally, if there is another cartoon series, I hope they stick with Taratkovsky.

7. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    i didn't think i'd like his style, but after seeing CW's, i hope they would stick with him, too, jmg.

8. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    A live-action SW series would wuickly become another ST clone.

However, an animated NJO, not a full series but a miniseries(30 min-1 hour ep for all main stream books and 30 min for e-books) would be something to see.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ya know, I find it funny how many people just naturally assume a live action show would be like Star Trek- when it's really a matter of the stories and production design that will distinguish a show from another.

10. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I would love to see a cartoon series of the mandalorians. I know it's not likely to happen, but I think it would be neat.

11. Trevor Vanth

Trevor Vanth Jedi Master

Dec 9, 1999
    <<What in the prequels affects the X-Wing novels?

corran horn, jedi families, etc.>>

Not necessarily. I seem to recall a line or two remarking that Corellian Jedi were notoriously eccentric and unique in some approaches to the Jedi philosophy and practices.

This could quite easily extend to relationships & marriages. Just as we've seen Ki-Adi Mundi's backstory maintained with a mention of a "special exception" to the Jedi being forbidden to marry due to Cerea's population issues, so too could centuries of Corellian Jedi having extended families have resulted in something of a tradition to which the Council essentially shrugs and says, "Eh...whattaya gonna do?"

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Too bad Anakin wasn't Corellian then :p

Actually, I was 100% sure that would hate the Clone Wars cartoon because of the animation style, but now, even though I've only seen two episodes (1 and 7) I gotta say that I love and I really hope they will stick with it!
    Even though fully CGI would be neat too ;)

The one EU-work I really would love to be made - as a cartoon - is the Thrawn Trilogy (and possibly The Hand of Thrawn Duology aswell). I can picture it - "But... it was so artistically done..."
    MAN, that would be great! Will probably never happen though :(

13. Kyp_Athlon

Kyp_Athlon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2002

Any future television oriented endeavors would or should probably go in an entirely new direction, meaning no Book related EU or Movie tie in possibilities.

I would prefer they go far into the future that way they arent slaves to the history everyone is already overly familair with.

Sort of like they did with Star Trek The next generation. It was Star Trek without being bogged down with continuity issues the way "Enterprise" is now.

14. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Frankly I wouldnt care for either of these series, I've not been impressed totally with the Clone War shorts.
    I mean sure they are fun to watch but I guess my Star Wars fix comes from the movies.

The animated series? That would be Han & Chewie if you asked me.....or even an extended Clone War series ;) Genndy will definitely get this to work on especially as alot of people love the CW shorts.

The live action - steer clear of the movies era and anything to do with the characters from that era.
    I'd suggest going into the past dealing with the creation of the Sith and such.

But I doubt I'd be interest in the live action one, it would be quite lame and just not be star wars to me.
    I'd watch the animated series though.

15. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Live action would be cool if it were like an Imperial show like a TIE fighter group or stormtrooper platoon but cartoon would be better to do and would have less chance of pissing people off. Besides that SW is too cool for TV unlike ST which is so crappy it needs to be on TV cuz no one will pay to see it.

16. JediMasterDylan

JediMasterDylan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 8, 2003
    Just wanted to second that Babylon 5 is the best written sci fi saga on television ever.

I'm not sure how I feel about a live action TV series, never thought they'd do it. But I suppose if B5 can be pulled off so well on a smaller budget (and LFL has infinitely more money anyways) then maybe as long as they're careful and really try to make it work story wise too it could be good. Otherwise this seems like GL going back on his words of "no more SW after Ep 3" for money.

I don't think they should do an adventures of Han and Chewie, seeing another actor in Han's shoes just wouldn't be right and could feel like syndication cheese. A series about Bounty Hunters or more Jedi related would be better IMHO.

17. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Live action would be cool if it were like an Imperial show like a TIE fighter group or stormtrooper platoon but cartoon would be better to do and would have less chance of pissing people off. Besides that SW is too cool for TV unlike ST which is so crappy it needs to be on TV cuz no one will pay to see it.

Dude just because Trekkies are a different sub-species of geeks, doesn't mean you need to bash them. I don't like Star Trek either, but there are lots of people around here who do.

18. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    why are so many people worried about live action. i still love dr who and dont care it hasnt got state of the art cgi.
    red dwarf was low budget but is still one of the best scifi on tv. so with lucas cash live action sw wont be a problem.

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    One issue at hand is the fact that any SW show (not counting clone wars, which was short enough to break this rule) should be made to appeal to a wider audience than just us fans. In my opinion, part of the problem with the prequels is that they seem to be made not out of a genuine desire to tell these stories, but to satisfy the fans' craving for a complete saga.
    In any story, the heart is what fosters universality and enjoyment. The complaint of a SW series being too much like ST has something to do with the fact that ST is much more cerebral, and lacks the heart that made the OT so enjoyable A note: I think that ST:TNG DID have heart, and it is my favorite of the ST shows, but those that followed seemed to be geared TOO much towards the fans, hence the overwhelming technobabble.
    I think the prequels have suffered because, despite the beauty of the effects, they are less like fairy tales, and more like breakdowns of how the setting of the OT came to be. And like the last three STs, they have rested too much on the shoulders of what preceded, instead of beginning a new story in its own right. Granted, there were parts of I and II that I loved, (Obi-wan's detective thread in AOTC, the first part of TPM [you know, until they landed on Naboo and met Jar-Jar]).

At risk of a way-too-long post, here's MY idea for the show, live or animated:
    Do a show about the Jedi Academy, after it becomes somewhat established. Probably the time between the Callista stuff and the NJO (which unlike many, I don't think is a bad idea for TV). Yavin 4 can serve as sort of a launching point for the adventures of the young Jedis-in-training, much like the library in the first few seasons of Buffy.
    Though in truth I think the Rogues or a NJO set would are the best ideas, I wanted to put my own stuff out there.

My main point, however, is that the show(s) should have a broader appeal than just to us fans who happen to already know the names Corran Horn, Kyp Durron, and Bria Tharen. It's a hard balanicng act, but it's what made X-men 2 such a great flick.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>the show(s) should have a broader appeal than just to us fans who happen to already know the names Corran Horn, Kyp Durron, and Bria Tharen.<<

Thus why the original material they appeared in should be adapted into whatever series is made, so that the wider audience can be introduced to them properly ::)

21. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    Thus why the original material they appeared in should be adapted into whatever series is made, so that the wider audience can be introduced to them properly ::)

or why they, and all the rest of the existing eu lit, should not be used, and only original storylines should be used.

(sorry 2nd, just had to, even though i've beaten this horse to death, i just couldn't resist! happy holidays!)

22. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    2nd, my point wasn't that they shouldn't tell EU stories, but rather, the show should not be something like Star Trek that often takes for granted that an audence knows those sort of things.
    I thought X2 was brilliant ina way, because it presented a story that someone who's never read the books (just seen the first movie) could readily understand and enjoy, while working in extra bits for the fans (Hank McCoy, Gambit's name) without making it confusing to those newbies who made up a large portion of the audience.
    Another case in point: I am working on reading Fellowship of the Ring right now. I went into the LOTR movies knowing almost nothing about Middle-Earth, but the movie was so good it made me a fan and made me want to know more. I'm as excited as anyone about ROTK tonight, despite only having fully read The Hobbit.
    TPM, however, did not strat all viewers at an even level. it just assumed that everyone knows who the Jedi are, and what the Force is. Kucas says you'll be able to watch all six in a row, but I disagree because I feel the best setup of the world of SW takes place in ANH. I just think TPM is less the beginning of a saga and more a half-hearted attempt to continue what was once an enjoyable movie franchise.

I think any SW tv show should try first and foremost to be a good show, and secondly to slip things in for the fans. If they have to fudge with the EU continuity in order to make the story more compelling (as Peter Jackson did with LOTR) I'm all for it, as long as it retains the spirit of SW that has been missing in the prequels but now seems to be reviving in the Clone Wars.

23. Brando-Fett

Brando-Fett Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2003
    I want to see a Sergio Leone inspired "Star Wars: Bounty Hunter" live action series.

It'd star Tem Morrison as Jango and Roz the Toydarian with Clancy Brown as Montross, the recurring villain.

It'd take place just before the Phantom Menace era.

It would be cool.

24. Ubigod

Ubigod Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 16, 2003
    If they did an animated series I would hop it would center around the Jedis, have it called Jedi Archives. The eposide(s) would center around a different Jedi. Here is a chance to exlore the minor jedi characters stories. I would love to see different animation styles used, that would correspond to the fighting style of each Jedi. Doubt this would happen due to money issues.
    As for the live action series, I doubt that it would live up the movies. I just don't see the television industry capable of handling a Star Wars tv show.
    Ubigod

25. seekaedigital

seekaedigital Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2003
    Forget previous incarnations of live action ideas (not meaning the movies) A live action series could be done right.

It could be set in any time frame. 1000 years before the movies. or 100 years after them.

It could be based on a jedi or maybe a smuggler..

dont limit your visions to that of the ewok films.. agggggggggghhhhhhhhh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.