main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A live action and a new animated SW series?? (From the Marketing meeting)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by wstraka5, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobakett

Bobakett Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2001
    A live action series would be pretty cool. I noticed that a few people have posted that the special effects on the series would not be up to the star wars standard. I recomend that you look at the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles the special effects that ILM done on this show were amazing. And this was over ten years ago, I am sure that ILM could now do even better and more affordable work work a TV series.

Oh and a Young Han Solo and Chewie adventure series sounds awesome!

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Another case in point: I am working on reading Fellowship of the Ring right now. I went into the LOTR movies knowing almost nothing about Middle-Earth, but the movie was so good it made me a fan and made me want to know more.<<

So, tell me, what exactly is the difference between a series of films doing fairly detailed and accurate adaptations of a series of non-SW books and a series of TV shows doing fairly detailed and accurate adaptations of a series of SW books that would confuse new audience viewers on the latter but not the former?

3. amidalak

amidalak Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2003
    the biggest difference is that lotr is classic, wonderfully written literature while sw lit is, well, not.

4. Arif

Arif Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2002
    My main question about a live-action Star Wars show would be a general question about what exactly the show is supposed to be about. I mean, sure--the movies have a regular cast of characters, and so could a show. But the movies have to do with gigantic galactic events. There can't be one of those every episode--so unless the show follows a serialized format, it would be too un-Star Wars-ish.

The second question would be about sets: I don't think the Star Wars films have too many regular sets, where everyone returns to time and time again. Sure, the bridge of a ship could be a set, but that's done to death in other shows. If the show could manage to afford many different sets per show, that would be great--otherwise, it would feel too anchored to be a Star Wars adventure.

5. GhostPoet

GhostPoet Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2000
    Wha?? Since when does Star Wars HAVE to have huge, galaxy spanning plots?

A show about an elite force of Rebel agents..or following the adventures of a somewhat good bounty hunter would be just as great...exploring strange alien locations, meeting new races...wars.

Just look at Farscape...Star Wars could EASILY do that.

6. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    How about Han Solo at Star's End? That would be easy. You wouldn't have to worry about continuity as it happened prior to ANH. I think animated is the way to go though. It's just easier for a SciFi show. It's more cost effective and believable to animate star fighters and other ships. Just look at the Clone Wars for an excellent example. Also getting Han Solo to look like a young Harrison Ford wouldn't be difficult. I doubt Ford would do the voice work but there are plenty of talented voice actors out there.

After that the series could go on to feature story arcs about other groups in the GFFA, Imperials, Rebels, Crime lords, etc. etc.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> the biggest difference is that lotr is classic, wonderfully written literature while sw lit is, well, not.<<

Though quality is subjective, they are both popular sources of entertainment that have or can present thesmelves in a visual medium quite well.

>>I mean, sure--the movies have a regular cast of characters, and so could a show. But the movies have to do with gigantic galactic events. There can't be one of those every episode--so unless the show follows a serialized format, it would be too un-Star Wars-ish.<<

Having a large cast to rotate in and out of would be key to the series success I feel. And how exactly would a serial format be too un-starwars-ish, when SW itself is based upon and pays homage to the old serials?

>>The second question would be about sets: I don't think the Star Wars films have too many regular sets, where everyone returns to time and time again...If the show could manage to afford many different sets per show, that would be great--otherwise, it would feel too anchored to be a Star Wars adventure.<<

I think it'd be difficult to convince Lucas to do anyhing other than a large amount of blue screen sets, with only some sets (such as starship bridges, hangars, Falcon interior, etc) built or partially built.

But it would really have more to do with the type of story your doing- if you do the X-Wing novels, for example, your gonna be using starship interiors, bridges, hangar bays and starfighter cockpits alot, so their construction and reuse would be locked, but not necessarily the only place events occur, to avoid that "anchored" feel.

8. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I want to see stuff like Lando losing the Falcon Chewie geting busted otu and the Kessel Run perhaps. I would also be in favor of a Boba Fett show assuming he is not in Episode 3 as it has not been confirmed.

9. one-jedi

one-jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2003
    Personally I think a cartoon would be great, probably easier to get right the a live-action series. Althougth I think a Live action sereis could rock if done right, oh and if it is about Jedi's!

Also a Television prject doesn't mean a long TV series. It could be a one of special, very unlikly. Or it could be a mini series of sorts, so rather then pumping out an episode a week they could spend time doing maybe 4 to 10 episodes of high quality stuff. I think special effects wise they could do it. Maybe they would stay away from too many large scale enviroments but in terms of lightsabers, blasters and smaller environments it could be done. Althougth a TV series could very easily turn into a disaster if done right it could be amazing. I would love to see a series following some jedi in some way. It would give us a chance to really get to see more about them, plus if the production values were rigth and there was some planning we could see some cool lightsaber battles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.