main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A local thread for local people ;) (Scottish Slang only please)

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by MOTs_Minx, Jul 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sock-Puppet

Sock-Puppet Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2001
    It's about half 10.

2. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    ma pal disny like you
    (i'm sorry)
    I dinnae like you, neether
    ye better watch yir back, pal
    ah've goat ma name on the noticeboard at Possil polis station
    (I'll be careful)
    you'll be deid !

:swishsizzle:

aaaarrrgghhh
    yuv lopped aff ma arm, ya bampot !

etc etc ad nauseum

3. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    That's pure dead brull-yant so it is.

Do you have a copy ah that Glesga ANH stuff, cuz ah wiz lookin fur it an a couldnae find it.

;)

(Nice to see another Scot on here :) )

4. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    oh - the "if Star Wars was set in Glasgow' thing.......
    I had it on here somewhere - when I find it, I'll post it in this thread.

Funnily eough, across in the England room, there is a version "if SW was set in Essex' which is basically the same jokes with cockney slang, and isn'y nearly half as good....

5. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    I know. Thats why I wanted to post up the Glesga version :)

6. WastedWendy

WastedWendy Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2002
    Edit: removed because of language

7. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Thanks for the above post - I've been looking for that comedy Starwars in Glasgow email for ages :)

Always makes me laugh when I read it over.

I'll make those yankee-yeeha's read it here, and see if any of them understand it.

I might try and pen something similar in Aberdonian for us northern sheep-friendly people.

Thanks again

M

8. WastedWendy

Jul 9, 2002
    *northern sheep-friendly people*

*rofl* you know, NOW I´m tempted to try my scottish slang ....

Wendy

9. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    Hullo rerr, wasted woman - howzitgaun? :D

10. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    werr ye fae, hen?

11. WastedWendy

Jul 9, 2002
    Vienna, Austria... disappointed huh? I know I´m actually in the wrong thread, but I just had found that Glaswegian version of SW and wanted to share... anyhow... I´ll be visiting Glasgow n Edinburgh in September, maybe I pick something up... I´m going to live abroad after my studies are finished here and I picked Scotland... so you can say a probably soon to be local.. I wanted to go to an english speaking country, but the americans are strange, the english too posh (and god is it expensive!!!) and australia is too far away for my liking... now did I manage to offend someone? *gggg*

Ah wud like tae stay n try masel oan yir slang (now was that awfully ****** up *lol*)

Cheers,
    Wendy

12. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    No no that wiz fine, hen.

An I'm gled yer thinkin aboot livin in Sco'lund... :D

Even tho' ah live in Inglund noo :(

13. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    ah've been to Vienna a few times noo... last time was just a few months back....

nice city,
    good food, mucho culture..
    expensive as hell .....

look forward to seeing you in Glasgow or Edinburgh later this year, Wasted Woman... :D

14. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Aye, Amercuns be a wee strange. Jus lookie me!

Wow, the Scots have fans all over the world, not just here in the US. And it also looks like the FF Scots are gonna have to be hospitable to us visitors as well. Still don't know for sure, but I'll probably make it there next year through school.

15. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    looks like I better get extra biscuits in next time I'm shoppin'...

16. WastedWendy

Jul 9, 2002
    isn´t Edinburgh expensive too? Ah dinnae ken Vienna wis expensive (trying myself again... laugh at me!!!.. it´s just to much fun...and I have to learn it, mustn´t I?)

Ah wud love tae meet some star wars fans fae Scotland :)

Wendy

17. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    Edinburgh's got the Parliament, so house and flat prices are higher..
    Glasgow is just as nice, cheaper and has less snobs :D
    Look forward to seeing ya....

18. WastedWendy

Jul 9, 2002
    I suppose it will depend where I get a job... I´m working in the event and theatre field and while Edinburgh has THE festival, Glasgow is a little "younger", isn´t it?

But I think I will like Glasgow.. here in Vienna I´m living in an old industrial district and it has this special charme... it´s also very cheap to live in...

Wendy

19. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Glasgow is scary after dark - mwhahahahahaha

I'm from Aberdeen (scotlands third city) so I can give you unbiased opinion of both Glasgow and Edinburgh. Both are nice places with high points and low points - same as anywhere really.

Edinburgh has the Castle, Parliament, Hollyrood Palace, the Royal Mile, the Forth Road and Rail bridges, excellent shopping, fantastic places to eat and drink. Loads of warm welcoming pubs and an amazing atmosphere when the 6-Nations are being played.

Glasgow has..........erm...........well.....

Take the sensible choice and live and work in Aberdeen.

I checked out Shara's website and stuff - very impressive - I loved your jedi outfit. Oh, I'm in Maryland now, just outide DC.
    Oh, and I'm terribly home sick.

Laters

M

20. WastedWendy

Jul 9, 2002
    thx Malkie!!! I will visit Aberdeen too (on a 3 days railroad travel)...

and I´m not scared of Glasgow... I always loved places which are a little "dark".. I´m not feeling too comfortable in "polished" places... but it really depends on where I get a job

Wendy

21. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    Yiv been away too long Malkie :D
    Glasgow easily ***** on Edinburgh these days
    ? in terms of pubs and restaurants it's on an equal footing, but, as Wasted Woman notes, it has a younger feel to it....

And accomodation is better and cheaper.
    If you really need to see the tourist traps in Edinburgh, its only a £7, one hour return train.

I like what I know of Aberdeen, via playing gigs up there, and going to weddings and stuff ? but I do remember the streets running wild with drunken oilworkers from around aboot 2pm on Thursday afternoons till Monday morning..........

22. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    Those aren't oil workers - it's me and my mates fae uni ;)

Having been all over Scotland this year - Aberdeen, Inverness, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Skye, Dundee (I stopped for a McDonalds - my hunger was so great I risked stopping there) - I would say that you was probably safer going to Glasgow :eek:

Though I may slag Glasgow off for being a sheeitehole (don't get me wrong - it is ;)), it is very visitor friendly. Cheaper than the other cities IMO, alot to see and do, and MUCH easier to find a parking space (though that's cos one of my mates stays just next to town). It's probably alot easier to get to other places from Glasgow too.

One downside is that it is very hard to find your way once you get lost in Glasgow (though this is coming from the boy that got lost in Elgin for Chrissakes!)

I wouldn't reccomend Aberdeen (where I'm from) - we have enough foreigners taking over and don't want anymore ;) Just kidding. There's not that much to see and do up here though. It's quite crap

23. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    most gracious of you Gav.... :)

24. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    Where abouts was you playing in Aberdeen Donk?

25. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    first place I ever played was......ooooh........ just across the bridge on the main st, take a left, first pub on the left... what was it called? a pub with a stage.
    Not played there for years, but used to be up once a month when I was in an indie band..

the mighty Amphetameanies have been in Aberdeen twice, once at the Lemon Tree, which was an excellent night, and once at the place next to the vodka bar, dead close to the first place I mentioned.... that wasn'y as good... but they wtill gave us rooms for the night and loads of cash, so we'll probably be back... :D

One of the 'meanies correspondents is currently scouting various new Aberdonian places for us to try. any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.