main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Long Bethrothal(J/TK, Medieval World AU) UP 8/8

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LeatherNeck, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeatherNeck

LeatherNeck Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Jacen is 11 and Tenel Ka is 10(there seems to be some confusion on the age order, but I am using what information Wikipedia has, which reportedly came from KJA and Rebecca Moesha, who created Tenel Ka). I've read all but the books made for children(YJK, JJK) I tried to read them, but the writing was so infantile I couldn't take it.

2. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006
    ^No way! Tenel Ka is a whole year younger than Jacen? For real?! I thought they were the same age. Huh.

3. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
    I checked wiki this morning, it now says she is a year older(from Tattoine ghost, she could be at most nine months older, but as young as six months older

4. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    Hey LeatherNeck - I'm back!!

Great Great updates, I love the long updates, and you put so much thought and detail into it.

I really like the pacing of how J/TK are getting closer, great job on that.

Keep it up man!

TnTornado

5. TnTornado

Jun 10, 2006
    is this fic on a break for others?

Hope not, really liked it.

TnTornado

6. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
    After the Taming of the Calves, as the Dathomiri called it, the summer sped by
    quickly, Jacen and Tenel Ka spending the majority of their time earning the trust and
    cooperation of their Rancor ?friends?. As it turned out, their Rancors were bloodkin, or first
    cousins. The Witches had devised an interesting series of relation levels to keep the Rancors
    from inbreeding, not that they needed to, since male Rancors usually took residence far from
    their natal herd. The closest relation among Rancors were brood kin. Sires, dames, siblings
    and direct descendants. Then there were Blood kin, First cousins. And finally Kin,or second
    cousins. Beyond these family groupings, Rancors did not differentiate. Since their Rancors
    were Blood Kin, they did not avoid another as they would normally, so being forced to interact
    since Jacen and Tenel Ka spent most of their time together, was not an imposition on the
    Rancor Calves. BY the end of Summer, the Rancor Calves had grown to the point that they were
    independent of their mothers, Jacen?s Calf, named Werger, immediately left its mother, but
    that was expected, males leave as soon as possible. Already almost two meters tall and three
    hundred pounds, it was far too large for Jacen to wrestle or intimidate. So he had to resort
    to other means to train the Rancor Calf. First off, he gave it food, nearly fifteen pounds of
    meat per day. Next he quickly asserted his greater intelligence over the Calf, who soon
    realized Jacen was smarter, and it was easier for the calf to wait for Jacen?s instructions.
    It was very similar to what a male Rancor Calf would have done naturally. Normally, the male
    calves in a herd would band together and follow the Adult males away from the herd. Usually
    there were only five, maybe six Bulls with a herd for , and they stayed three years, after
    which they left, taking every male Rancor with them in search of a different herd. Elder
    Bulls, which were very rare, and ,compared to a Ten year old Bull, feeble, could remember
    which herds they had visited in their lifetime. If a herd they found was one he had seen
    before, they moved on. Bulls did not understand why they did this, it was instinct. While
    Rancors were the Apex predatory in The Dathomir Valleys, there were lesser predators that were
    a threat to young Rancors, and since Males lived in considerably smaller groups, they suffered
    a much higher mortality rate. Maybe one male Rancor calf out often would survive to Adult
    hood, and an even lesser proportion became an Elder Bull(over forty, and by that time,
    sterile, but very wise for Rancors). The female Calves enjoyed much better prospects. Perhaps
    a third would not survive to adulthood, usually due to disease or starvation. Tenel Ka had a
    much more difficult time separating the calf from its mother, but she was successful, the sow
    even helped her, recognizing that a human could care and defend her calf better, it hide from
    the calf and ignored it?s calls as soon as it was weaned. But her calf was much easier to
    handle and less destructive than Werger. She named her Calf Narsis.

As the summer approached Autumn, Construction of the Citadel Wall was completed, and
    construction on the South Wing began. But Jacen and Tenel Ka would not stay after the Fall equinox. Their families decided that they would stay together, all year round. Since Jacen?s
    life day was in the autumn, the families decided that, from now on, Jacen and Tenel Ka would
    stay in Corellia during Fall, Dathomir in Spring, and at Alderaan in the remaining seasons.
    Both children took a suffering view on a decision they did not make, and prepared themselves
    for the journey. The travel arrangements caused some friction among the guards, the Drall
    guards that is. The Dathomiri guards, naturally assume the journey would be on Rancor back,
    where the Drall guards expected it to be by foot. The Drall men were reluctant, because most
    were wary of the large beasts, and that they would have to go without their armor, as they
    would

7. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
  8. TnTornado

Jun 10, 2006
    HEY!!! Watch it there, I may have accidently insulted you in a different fic, but no need to lay in on over here!

Great update, love how you have this going.

TnTornado

9. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
    I wasn't speaking of any one person(though I must wonder how you came to the conclusion that it was aimed at you) I was speaking of boys in general. I'm going to be drawing heavily from C.S. Forrester(Horatio Hornblower novels) for the ship chapters, and that viewpoint is in most of his books. But in general what I say is true, young men are easily hurt emotionally, as most have an overly elevated evaluation of their selves.

10. TnTornado

Jun 10, 2006
    I know what you mean, I haven't read those books in particular, but I've read alot of the books of that era. Perty good books.

Oh, and I wasn't meaning you were pointing it at one person.

TnTornado

11. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
    Well, I still have my Collection of the Horatio Hornblower books.(Almost anmed my son that too. Glad wifey said no, Horatio Johnson is a really bad combination)

12. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
    Jacen did not speak a word to anyone the following day, and seemed content to simmer in silent rage, in a sulky way. At midday Han turned around on his mount and yelled.

?Stop sulking boy! Or you?ll get another dozen.? Jacen made a face and looked away. Han?s eyes narrowed but he didn?t do anything else. For now. Tenel Ka glanced at Jacen. They were on the same Rancor with Astarta again.

?I would suggest you act with more tact Prince.? Astarta said softly, so as not to be heard.

?I would suggest you go k-?

?Watch your tone, your father might hear.? Astarta warned sharply. Jacen scowled again and shifted painful on his sore rear. Apparently, Han had relented last night and beat him like a boy, had he been beaten like a man, Jacen?s back would be in pain, not his rear. Tenel Ka said nothing to him, already knowing him well enough that comment would be adding salt to the wound.

Two days later they arrived in Coronet. Leia naturally greeted her Eldest child(the fact that Jaina was first born had been ignored for ascention purposes) and smothered him with motherly affection. She also hugged Tenel Ka, but with more reserved intensity. Later Leia took him aside. But not far enough away for Tenel Ka to not hear.

?You should know by now what sets your father off.? She heard Leia scold Jacen.

?Just about everything I do.? Jacen said evenly.

?Don?t show weakness. You know how Han feels when you show compassion or consideration. You
    will be king someday Jacen, and that position does not allow for Kindness or compassion.? Leia
    said. Jacen glared and stomped off. Leia notticed her. Tenel Ka quickly looked away.

?You heard all of that, didn?t you?? Leia asked. Tenel Ka nodded. ?Good.? Leia concluded.
    Tenel Ka had no idea why she said that, and it showed on her face.

?Jacen, is intelligent and can plan for the future, but he is as emotionally weak as his
    father. And like his father, I suspect he has a cruel streak in him. You will need to learn how to shift his moods and attention in the future.? Leia said. None of what th older woman said made sense.

?Why??

?Though you will be the Queen of Hapes, even that is a secondary role compared to the Kingship
    of Corellia. If you wish to keep the peace, you will need to be able to keep Jacen thinking
    clearly, and keep him from flying into a furios rage he has inheirited from his father.? Leia said.

?Why can he not control himself?? Tenel Ka said challengingly. Leia rose an eyebrow and smiled.

?Jacen may be in very good control of himself, for a male, but his is none the less male, and
    therefore prone to anger and violence.? she said.

?How could I keep him from getting angry?? Tenel Ka asked. Leia seemed to be struggling with
    amusement.

?You?ll find out.? Leia said a little smugly and walked away.

A week later, Jacen and Tenel Ka departed Coronet. The road from Coronet and Grand Port was very well maintain, and the carriage they traveled in flew across the landscape at high speed. When they drew near, Jacen broke out of the brooding shell he had maintained since the night he was beaten and spoke to her.

?We?re nearing Grand Port.? he said and shifted away from the window so she could take his place. In curiosity she did and looked out the window. And gasped.

The Corellian Navy lay at anchor, all 44 ships of the Line, and Frigates and smaller craft too numerous to count, as the port far edges lay over the horizon. For the first time Tenel Ka realized just how powerful the Kings of Corellia were.

?Incredible.? Tenel Ka breathed.

?Yeah, too bad only a tenth of the ships are rigged for action.? Jacen said, for once feeling
    as his father did. Han had been vocalling dispairing over the neglect he was force to show the majority of his Warships.

?With no war, we have to let the Ships of the Line rot so the people don?t have to pay taxes.? Jacen said. Tenel Ka had no idea what taxes were, but she didn?t like the sound of them. She decided not to risk a snub by saying so and asked another question.

?What?s a

13. TnTornado

Jun 10, 2006
    Great update, from the way alot of this post is worded I can tell that you read alot of (in your case horatio hornblower) older writers. They have a distinctive writing style that I haven't found much of today, but its a really cool way of explaining, and telling a story.

I hope on the ship Jacen keeps his head out of his butt, and isn't an *** to be around. Kinda funny J/TK have to share a bunk. Though from my readings, I fully understand the reasons why.

Again, great update,

TnTornado

14. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
    The style change was unintentional, but probably better for this part of the story. There's a reason C.S Forester has had a carrier named after him(until dubya decommissioned her, I was on that ship once, and like the seamen of old, there's nothing like you first ship(in my case carrier))

Jacen will keep himself in check, its no longer a question of fealty to his parents, but surbordination to his direct superior by law.

15. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
  16. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006
    These last two posts were fantastic. Great job.

?Don?t show weakness. You know how Han feels when you show compassion or consideration. You
    will be king someday Jacen, and that position does not allow for Kindness or compassion.?
    I always liked Jacen's compassion. I hope he keeps it. And Han reminds me of my dad.

?That?s the Millenium Falcon?? Tenel Ka asked increduosly. That was incredible. I can hear her so clearly in my mind. Great use of that line!

Great post!

Janet

17. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
    Darkwriter: While Tenel Ka's story is abour her trying to fit in with Jacen's people and her own at the same time, Jacen's is about him joining the ranks of men. And unfortunately the chief difference between men and boys, is that men are angrier, more violent, and much more capable of questionable behavior. Deep down, Han is a kind and noble person, but on the surface he has to appear to be a petty and cruel disciplinarian.

As for the Falcon itself, I wasn't able to describe it in language that only a few can understand.

18. Jedi_Master_Mouf

Jedi_Master_Mouf Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2004
  19. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
    Jacen and Tenel Ka waited anxiously outside the Captains cabin, where The ship?s only Lieutenant and Mr. Makin were discussing their mission with the Captain. The door opened, and the two most senior Officers came out. Makin frowned.

?Did the Captain request your presence?? he asked of the two children. Jacen nodded. The
    thirty five year old man shrugged.

?Very well then.? he said and left them there. The Captain?s steward appeared.

?The captain will see you now.? The two children got up and followed the shrewish man into the
    secondary Cabin. Jacen pulled himself to an ?at attention? pose. Tenel Ka quickly copied. The
    captain stared at them for a moment.

?I will start by saying I will not defer to your social status, Mr. Solo.? the Captain said.
    Jacen nodded.

?No sir.? Jacen agreed. The Captain narrowed his eyes.

?I will expect obedience and hard work. If you fail, I?ll give you a date with the gunner?s
    daughter.? The captain said in blatant threat. Jacen gulp and managed.

?Aye aye sir.? he said. The Captain held his gaze over the boy and decided he?d seen enough.

?Mr.- Miss Djo.? The captain said with distaste, from having to correct his grammar.

?I hold the same expectations on you, however, as a girl, I cannot beat you as I can Mr.
    Solo.? The Captain said. Tenel Ka wanted to rebel, but she knew it would only make things
    worse.

?Instead, I?ll beat Jacen every time you give cause for a beating. Is that clear??

?But I would have made the mistake.? Tenel Ka protested. The Captain shrugged.

?Perhaps, but this is the sea, and you are Mr. Solo?s affianced. Therefore he is responsible for everything you do. And miss Djo, you only remain miss Djo because you have not married yet.? Tenel Ka looked prepared to protest again. ?If you find our ways unfair, leave.? The Captain said while making it clear that Jacen had no choice now. Tenel ka choked back protest and said.

?Aye aye sir.? she said.

?You are dismissed.? he said with the wave of the hand. And in after thought the Captain said.

?And happy birthday Prince Solo.? The Captain said ironically, and was clearly enjoying the
    irony. Jacen stiffened.

?Thank you sir.? he said and lead Tenel Ka out of the cabin.

?It?s your birthday?? Tenel Ka asked. Jacen glanced over to her.

?Yeah, what of it?? he asked.

?Your parents couldn?t wait until after your birthday?? she asked. Jacen gave her a half smile.

?In Corellian, men do not celebrate birthdays after their tenth. From then on we are expected
    to be men. Were I a blacksmith?s son, I would be a smith?s apprentice for the next five years. Were my father a lawyer, I would be his secretary for some time. As the King?s son, I am expected to learn to lead and fight on a sailing ship and in the Army. The last two years were a grace period for me, waiting until I was ?mature? enough, the grace period is over.? Jacen said. ?I believe it is not so similar to your culture.? he said. Tenel ka frowned.

?Perhaps, but it does not come until we are thirteen.? she said. Jacen nodded.

?Probably why they won?t marry us until you are thirteen.? Jacen said. Tenel Ka blinked, Jacen
    didn?t seem to be protesting the idea like he used to. Jacen caught her gaze.

?I know, as bad as being forced to marry will be.? he said quickly. Tenel Ka had a narrow look
    directed on him. Jacen pretended nothing had happened at all.

The following week was a flurry of activity for which Tenel Ka would be thankful that she was told to follow and do anything Mr. Midshipman Jennings said. It was a good thing too, because the ship was the most testosterone ridden place she had ever been. Every single member aside form herself, from the aged Master to the youngest boy(who was five years old), was male, and almost always human. While the boys of the ship were hardly different than boys on the sub continent, the men of the ship were very distinct, especially from those back home in Dathomir. They were loud, obscene, dirty and surprisingly able. The same dimwitted man who spoke

20. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
  21. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
  22. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006
    Read this yesterday...great job. I really do like this story. It's interesting how they're letting Tenel Ka help out now, and I like how she assesses the diffeences in the two societies.

Janet

23. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
    Darkwriter: Well for the Corellians, they have to take Tenel Ka with a garin of increduolity. The fact that she is a foreigner helps, but in any other setting they would treat her like any other female. These men have patriarchal society drilled into their core. If Tenel Ka was not a Dathomiri, it would be dishonorable for them to let her work. The males in Corellian society are supposed to be able to provide. And if their woman has to work, it is a failing on them. Sort of like 1950s America.

24. TnTornado

Jun 10, 2006
    Great update, I thought it interesting how Jacen would get punished if TK messed up - a nice take on them not being able to beat women.

Your basing this on stuff older then the 1950's right? At least it looks that way to me.

Can't wait for more on this.

TnTornado

25. LeatherNeck

Mar 24, 2006
    From Jacen, the wardroom clearly expected information. The boy look nervously around himself.

?Captain said they were confidential.? he said hesitantly.

?Mr. Solo. . .?Mr. Nathan said. ?That means anyone under your superior?s command, and is
    superior has the clearance.? the grizzled old seaman said. Jacen gulp visibly. Tenel Ka looked
    to the door, and the stairs that led into the room from the deck above. Mr. Higgins smirked.

?You can relax Tenel Ka, the hands are asleep.? he said. Tenel Ka relaxed slightly.

?The Captains and the Commodore only spoke normal conversation. Chewie gave each of the
    Captains sealed letters.? Jacen explained. Jennings sighed.

?Alas your presence there has not yeilded any benefits. You did remember to swipe some of the
    food right?? Jennings said. This time Jacen reddened. He put his hand into the inside pocket
    of his overcloak and pulled out a slice of beef.

?Good man!? Jennings said, clapping the boy on the back. Jacen beemed at the praise. While the
    midshipmen quickly divied up the spoils of Jacen?s forsight, Mr. Nathan sat back, watching the
    boy, who would one day be his King. The boy seemed to be pleased with praise, earn praise,
    from what Nathan could see, the boy deep down wanted praise, and Nathan had no doubt from
    whom. Han himself had not been so different when Jonash had sent him to learn seamanship from the Captain of the Millenium Falcon, old Admiral Booster. And a Bosun?s mate, barely twenty years old, a Bosun?s mate named John Nathan. Nathan knew well of Han?s harsh attitude and treatment of this son in particular. It saddened him to see the son repeat the mistakes of the father. Despite Han?s innocently sweet nature as a boy, he had none the less become the harsh, angry king Jonash had been. Nathan watched the boy bathe with delight and approval of his fellow midshipmen. Then he glanced at Tenel Ka, who more reservedly ate the spoils andsat waiting for the others to calm down. He liked the girl, she was clearly a clear thinking and patient girl. Theres always an upside.

For Tenel Ka, sleep was uncomfortable. Having to share hammock with Jacen, who was both taller and considerably heavier(he had become slightly chubby lately, though it had not affected his athletic performance), meant either she uncomfortably had to lay to the side of him, where she could easily fall off, or she had to lay on him. Finding a position that was comfortable for her and not painful for him(here she learned that any weight at all on his groin was somewhat painful) was tricky. Eventually they found a way to spoon on their sides in the Hammock, while somewhat more intimate than they had wanted, it was comfortable. Tenel Ka personally tried to look at the benefit of the situation, at least they could become comfortable with each other now, before doing so would have a greater impact. She squirmed, trying get as much of the hammock to herself. Jacen, as was typical of him did not move or react, he simple kept sleeping. While she herself was a lightsleeper, Jacen was able to fall so deeply into sleep, she had to dump him on the floor to wake him twice so far. She ignored him and got out of the hammock, and headed for the Heads.

The normal call of nature had been somewhat problematic for her. Not for herself, she had been allowed to use the enclosed facilities meant for the Lieutenant and the Captain. While she beleived she could have carried on without the extra privacy, she did not complain. The Crew of course had six holes cut out in the Head of the ship, below which was only the sea. While working near the front of the ship, Tenel Ka had to get used to ignoring men there. She returned she crossed the deck of the ship rather than the gun deck, where the men of the ship were packed like sardines She heard no coughs or other vocal signs of illness. Lieutenant Makin had been very clear when he said illness was the foremost concern on a ship. She glanced aloft where one of the other Midshipmen. And the Night watch sat idly canning the Ocean surface. They wo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.