main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Long Night of Hard Truths - Jacen is visited by 3 Force Ghosts - COMPLETE - Author's thanks

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Hazel, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I love Yoda being the one to show Jacen how wrong he is being. Yes, bad Jedi! Jacen is being stubborn, though, and I don't know if he'll learn. Great update!

EDIT: And you put another one up too! I love Vader showing Jacen all the things that will be happening if he stays on this path and how upset Jacen got. Looks like maybe Vader can teach him a thing or two!

2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    WICKED!!!

You tell him Ani.

Something I have begun to wonder is if the Jedi unknowingly fed the Dark Side by releasing their darker emotions into the Force.

3. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Okay - like a bad girl, I have been lurking on this story for the last few posts. But I have to delurk for this:

?What do you think I should do to you for what you have done to the ones I love?? Anakin inquired coldly. ?Do you have any idea how much pain your actions have brought, not only to Luke, but to your parents - to your mother? Did you know that Leia didn?t want to have children for fear that they might take after me? Do you know how much it pains me to see her hurt like this??

I've been rather fascinated by Anakin lately, and this little bit gave me shivers. I like to think that Afterlife!Anakin rather obsessively watches over his children, even if they can't see him, and that he would be both angry and devastated that Leia's fears about her children were true. And that's a neat little revelation for Jacen, that all the people he has hurt aren't just his mother, his uncle, his cousin, but that they are something else entirely - someone else's daughter, son, grandson.

It's something that would flip his world upside down, realizing that Leia is to Anakin what Allana is to him.

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna have that little line haunting me for the rest of the day.

A quick edit to point out something else that gave me shivers:

?Where?s your suit?? Jacen asked, not sure he wanted to hear the answer.

?You took it, Jacen. You?re the Sith now, you are Darth Caedus.? Anakin replied pointing at the younger man.

Awesomely creepy.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Gripping and riveting =D= =D= Each event, separate and together, make excellent and strong points of persuasion =D=

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Vader is letting him see the future. Great update showing all the details of his descend to the dark side as Caedus.

6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Positively brilliant! =D=

As one who is also a fan of eco!Jacen, I too was disillusioned by the path the EU took his character in LotF.

It was perfect how you had his brother Anakin as his ghost for the past, Yoda for the present (haha, awesome!), and Vader for the future--which is especially true to the tone of Dickens' original since the ghost of Christmas future is the most ruthless of the three.

That might be the best line in this fic. :D That, and Skywalker's line that Mara was not Jacen's sacrifice, but the true sacrifice was his soul. Profound.

There is only one thing that I think would improve this already awesome story, but it involves having read ahead to the FotJ series. In that one (particularly in Abyss), this is revealed about Jacen:

During his 5-year journey before DNT, he saw a vision of a Dark Man on a black throne surrounded by dark side warriors who would plunge the galaxy into everlasting darkness. Since then he became obsessed with altering this vision, and so at the end of Invincible, that vision of the Dark Man changes into one of Allana as a queen of light sitting on a White Throne during a time of unprecedented galactic peace. In the FotJ series, both Leia and Luke have this same vision of Allana. So it could be argued that Caedus/Jacen's obsession with overprotecting Allana in DN and LotF is not only parental concern (though it definitely is that) but also his way of trying to the save the galaxy, in his particularly warped way.

I thought that might be something you could work into the story if you get a chance. [face_peace]

But even without that, this is a very sublime and deep story. I look forward to seeing how it ends!

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. No mercy from Vader - just like Jacen/Caedus showed no mercy. Just wonderful parallelisms.

@};-=D=

You don't need to read post-DNT. Wookiee is generally good enough IMO. The only thing you are really missing out on is major angst and confusion.

8. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I've been lurk-reading (is that a word?) up until now and I just have to say, I love it. This is exactly the type of thing that should have happened in canon. I loved Yoda coming to literally poke and prod some sense into Jacen - that boy needs it! Great stuff.

And the last part there, with Vader/Anakin and Jacen/Caedus... wonderful in its creepiness, and I'm really impressed with how you brought out the parallels. I love how they're making Jacen question his motives and beliefs, by asking exactly the right questions. Kudos to you for putting so much thought into this. This is precisely the type of stuff that people ought to have asked and pointed out to Jacen in canon.

I just love this. =D=

9. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Really glad to see Jacen getting face to face with both Vader and Anakin. It's important for him to see that even with everything he had done, Anakin was still redeemed at the end. Jacen has just started down that path, so it would be much easier for him to turn back before he's too far gone.

10. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  11. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Very realistic reactions from everyone & a very nice easing off of the intensity -- you can almost feel the relief especially as Jacen unloads all the burdens of truth [face_thinking]

Mara's reaction is definitely believable and what the Council decides will be interesting.

I am very glad Jag won't be exiled for years and that the warning about Alema is out there to be dealt with.

13. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Jacen should feel a lot better now.

It's funny how some things surprise you and others don't.

I had an inkling that Jacen was on the wrong path in DN and when LotF rolled out . . . yeah.

14. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Just read this twice to make sure I got everything I wanted to mention. :D First of all, overall comments: like Jade_eyes said, you did very good with the rise and fall of tension in this part. I feel a little exhausted for poor Jacen after reading it. And I think, my favorite part of the whole thing, was that Jacen is finally getting back 'round to feeling like my adorable little eco-Jedi. Jaina should, I dunno, bring him a new pet, or something. Then I might actually cry. I think that's one of the things I was really irritated about in the NJO and beyond, is that Jacen's relationship with nature and animals was really really underplayed, while Jaina got to go right on being the fighter ace we all new she'd grow up to be in the YJK series.

Of course, I'm not sure what he'd DO with it. But it was still adorable. Jacen Solo, Jedi Zookeeper!

Ahem. I digress. On to specific comments!

As the medics took him away, he caught a glimpse of Mara sitting on her hoverchair. ?I?m sorry, Aunt Mara! I?m so, so sorry.? He cried out before they turned the corner.

I can see this, and it makes me very, very sad, because I know what's coming, and I know that Mara's forgiveness switch is kind of rusty and does not flip easily.

Aunt Mara - have we heard anything else from my parents on the Megador??

?No, we?ll comm the Megador when we revert to realspace.?

?But they?re still there, right? In the Nebula??

Mara took a moment to reach to her husband in the Force. ?Yes, they?re still there.?

?Could you call me when we comm them??

?Sure, Jacen.? Mara didn?t ask why her nephew was so eager to talk to his parents, but she was certain it had something to do with whatever message he had received.

THANK GOODNESS HE WANTS TO SEE HIS PARENTS.

?Why would you care, after everything??

The whole conversation with Anakin cracks me up, because, well - it is so very him. Anakin cares because he's Anakin, Jacen. It's what he does. And I can imagine that being a question Afterlife!Anakin posed to Obi-wan, or even Padme, when he finally met up with them again.

?I pulled some strings,? Anakin admitted somberly. ?You have to understand, Jacen, I never had a chance to do anything for my children ? anything good, that is ? so if I can help with this, then I owe it to them to do it.?

?I thank you for that.? Jacen replied, truly grateful.

?Don?t thank me. You have been given a chance to mend your ways. Take it!?

A chance Anakin didn't really get, beyond saving Luke from Palpatine. [face_wistful]

?Ok then, you take care, Jacen. You look awful. And be good!?

This line made me laugh out loud, because it's such a typical "grandpa" line, but coming from Anakin Skywalker it's got a whole different connotation, eh? Love it!

I hope Jaina forgives him. I hope Mara and Leia and Han and everyone else forgives him. WELCOME HOME ADORABLE, I MISSED YOU! :D <3

15. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    It is great that Jacen unloaded all of his mistakes and came clean with everyone. They will be angry and won't trust him for a long time, but in the end I think they'll all be better for it. Great update!

16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes, Great Jacen to reveal all of it. Things should turn now a better way for him.

Excellent update=D==D=

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Great update. Everyone's reactions were spot on.

@};-

18. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010

19. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Marvelous conclusion =D= Jacen's redemption seems genuine and totally believable & I love his humility and his family's continued confidence. The Council's decision balanced fairness with justice. :D

21. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Wow, this has been great! Somehow I missed Chapter 5... but I'm all caught up now. Great job! It's wonderful to see Jacen coming to his senses like this and being redeemed. I wish that could've happened in canon. But this is just as good, really.

Loved Jacen confessing everything to his family and earning their forgiveness. And now he gets another chance, and I'm pretty sure he'll do them all proud yet. Kyp's a great choice to keep him on the straight-and-narrow as well.

Thanks for writing and sharing this, I really enjoyed it! [:D]

22. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Great ending!

I would love to read about Jag's rescue, especially if it has a J/J moment. *Giggles*

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Awe. That was sweet!

And one more thing: about the Force, there is no one anywhere that can teach you how to deal with it better than your dad, and I know he?ll love to help you. You should let him

I love that line.

Excellent ending!

24. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010

25. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    Lovely. I'm sure Kyp will be able to teach Jacen many things about how to come back and fix the problems he caused. Also good to see how he sent Ben back to his mother. Great story! I like the new direction they are all on now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.