main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Long Time Ago, But Not so Far Away (Qui, Obi JA)--Ch. 7- Why is it Always Obi-Wan Who Get's Hurt?!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Bastet, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Poor Obi - he's feverish, but I loved the whole "growing boys are hungry" scenario. Wonderful update.

2. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007

Qui-Gon chuckled softly. ?Haven?t you ever been inside a tree before, my Padawan??

?A tree?? Obi-Wan exclaimed, looking around with renewed interest. Of course, he could see it now, that explained the strange brown texture of the walls. ?I had no idea they could get so big.?

?Oh, this is nothing, Padawan,? Qui-Gon said, waving his hands around animatedly. ?You should see the ones on Kashyyyk, they have whole cities in their trees.?

Obi-Wan?s mouth fell open. ?Really??

It's not hard to imagine Qui-Gon being perfectly at home in a tree ;) As far as the trees on Kashyyyk, grrr on the Revenge of the Sith film for not sticking to EU! Zahn described it so well, I wanted to see it on the big screen! But no...we got beaches and sand instead...which makes no sense for Wookies, but there you have it :p

?I prefer to kill them quickly, than have them suffer a prolonged death from air-exposure,? Qui-Gon explained as he put his ?saber back on his belt. ?We can give them that little mercy at least. And never kill more than you intend to eat,? he added as he climbed back out of the pool. ?I think that fish is large enough for the both of us, don?t you??

I love how you're doing Qui-Gon and Obi :D I've always thought that Qui-Gon, while eating meat, would prefer to kill any animal he was going to eat, as humanely as possible. That is very responsible and good for the environment and Qui-Gon was all about nature :D

Poor Obi-Wan though, just doesn't seem to be any relief for him.

Here's hoping that Qui-Gon at least has it better than Obi-Wan, somehow, I doubt it though....

Keep up the great work!

3. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Sorry for the delay in posting a reply. DRL reared its ugly head this week! Anyway, what a cool story! :cool: I'm really enjoying it so far and I can't wait to see what lies ahead for our favorite Master/Padawan team. Keep up the good work and please add me to the PM list for this story!

4. Glenstorm

Glenstorm Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 27, 2006
    I don't know where to start. There's so many wonderful things in this. Well first of all I think you have Qui-Gon down perfectly. The way he turns even being stranded into a good way to train his Padawan and the way he shows mercy by killing their breakfast quickly. Just perfect. :)

Next, your descriptions. I can really feel what Obi-Wan is going through in that jungle and see what's around him. I think I could identify some of those dinosaurs just from your descriptions of them! =D= =D=

Finally don't worry about the length. It wasn't boring at all! It's nice to see the boys indulging in a slower pace of life. They certainly weren't complaining. :D

But why do I get the feeling things won't remain so peaceful. Is Obi-Wan's arm just a sign of worse things to come [face_worried]

Please update soon!

5. Sabriel_Orion

Sabriel_Orion Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2008
    This story's really caught my attention. :D I'm looking forward to the next part. XD

Please add me to your pm list. :D

6. Bkcbookworm

Bkcbookworm Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2007
    The whole world was spinning now, with the young Jedi in the center. Reaching out blindly, he grabbed a fistful of coarse cloth from his master?s tunic, twisting it in his hands as he hoped somehow that it would keep him from falling over. ?Obi-Wan!? But it wasn?t helping, and the world was spinning ever faster, and oh it was so hot! So hot?

?Padawan, speak to me! Padawan!? Obi-Wan felt a strong pair of arms suddenly underneath him, and thought it strange that he hadn?t felt himself falling. But the world was so topsy-turvy, how could he tell the difference anyway?

?Mas?? Obi-Wan tried to say, but he had no strength left. And now he could feel himself falling, falling into darkness?

Wow, great cliffie! I love the idea that Obi-wan and Qui-gon would land on Earth during the time of the dinosoars. (After all Star Wars did occur A long time ago in a galaxy far far away)

Please update soon as you've definetely got me hooked. :)

7. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Wow. I'm just letting it sink it. This was an amazing update. Simply brillant.

The place they're at seems to beautiful, and I could picture it show vividly, you write imaginery so well. It almost reminded me of Jurassic Park, when they were in the tree and the dinosaurs came close to them. lol

I love the scenes where Qui-gon is fishing, and Obi-wan is laying in the warm sand. And the way you capture Obi-wan's thoughts, is just brillant.

I hope Qui-gon can find a way to help Obi-wan. Poor guy, needs so TLC.

You are a master of story-telling. I've enjoyed reading this chapter so.

8. XANl

XANl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2006
    :eek:
    Darkness swirling is not a good spot to stop!
    I wonder what happened to Obi Wan that he became ill? mmmm. infection or a bite from a water creature[face_thinking]

Qui Gon seemed so carefree that I thought he was in shock.

love this story, can't wait till you post again.

9. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    ack! must read more now!!!!

10. BlueJedi

BlueJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    up! waiting for more

11. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Well... two weeks to update is better than three, right? [face_worried] Though actually I don't have the next post quite ready yet, but I thought I would respond to replies now so I have more time tomorrow to proofread my update before I post it, which I'll definitely be doing before Sunday is over. So now on to replies:

Gkilkenny-- There trek around the forest and learning about the living force may be good for Qui,
    but I am worried about Obi.

Although I shouldn't because his master will take good care of him.
    [face_love] Yes indeed, he will!

wonderful chapter Bastet, I wonder what will happen next since it appears they were here 65 million years ago. [face_whistling] Whatever gave you that idea? :p

Thanks for reading! [:D]

Qui-Gina-Jinn-- Ok, that's got to be the most unusual beginning of a fic I've ever seen.
    But what a great one!
    :D I'm glad you liked it!

Thanks for your kind words, and you're added to the PM list! [face_love]

dimyavie-- Poor Obi-Wan! Between his broken arm and now passing out Qui-Gon will be dealing with one poor Padawan. :( Yes, indeed. Again, awesome update! Aww, thanks! :D

Valairy Scot-- Poor Obi - he's feverish, but I loved the whole "growing boys are hungry" scenario. [face_laugh] Yep, I think poor Obi is always hungry. Wonderful update. [face_blush] Thank you!

Jinngerbread-- It's not hard to imagine Qui-Gon being perfectly at home in a tree As far as the trees on Kashyyyk, grrr on the Revenge of the Sith film for not sticking to EU! Zahn described it so well, I wanted to see it on the big screen! But no...we got beaches and sand instead...which makes no sense for Wookies, but there you have it :_| Yes, I felt the same way! They could have done some really cool stuff with Wookies in trees. Oh well. [face_frustrated]

I love how you're doing Qui-Gon and Obi I've always thought that Qui-Gon, while eating meat, would prefer to kill any animal he was going to eat, as humanely as possible. That is very responsible and good for the environment and Qui-Gon was all about nature [face_blush] I'm so glad you like how I'm doing Qui-Gon.

Here's hoping that Qui-Gon at least has it better than Obi-Wan, somehow, I doubt it though.... [face_whistling]

Thanks so much for reading, I'm glad you like my story so far! [:D]

jedidas3-- Sorry for the delay in posting a reply. DRL reared its ugly head this week! No worries. [:D] DRL always comes first, as much as we hate to let it sometimes. [face_frustrated] I'm glad you're liking my story, and you're added to the PM list! :D

Glenstorm-- don't know where to start. There's so many wonderful things in this. Well first of all I think you have Qui-Gon down perfectly. The way he turns even being stranded into a good way to train his Padawan and the way he shows mercy by killing their breakfast quickly. Just perfect. [face_blush] Wow, thanks! I'm so glad you guys like my Qui-Gon, I'm trying to keep him as in character as I can.

Next, your descriptions. I can really feel what Obi-Wan is going through in that jungle and see what's around him. I think I could identify some of those dinosaurs just from your descriptions of them! [face_dancing]

Finally don't worry about the length. It wasn't boring at all! It's nice to see the boys indulging in a slower pace of life. They certainly weren't complaining. [face_thinking] Are you trying to say I complain too much? 8-} Okay, I'll stop. [face_laugh]

But why do I get the feeling things won't remain so peaceful. Is Obi-Wan's arm just a sign of worse things to come [face_whistling] I don't know...

Sabriel_Orion-- This story's really caught my attention. :D Thanks! I just hope it can keep your attention! [face_praying] You're added to the PM list.

Bkcbookworm-- Wow, grea

12. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    And finally, my post. :D

Additional disclaimer-I got the title of this chapter from the Sea Monsters section of the DVD Chased by Dinosaurs, a BBC production from Impossible Pictures, starring one of my other heroes: Nigel Marven. [face_love]

========================

Chapter Three--Hell?s Aquarium

?Obi-Wan, please! Speak to me!? Qui-Gon was kneeling on the ground now, holding his padawan in his arms. The boy still had his hand twisted in his tunic, his sweaty brow deeply furrowed. But then his head fell back, and he slipped unconscious with a sigh, his hand finally loosening its hold.

?Obi-Wan!? Qui-Gon called to him, gently shaking him, but there was no response. ?Oh Force, what?s wrong with you?? he asked the boy, even though it was obvious he would not be getting an answer. He put a hand on Obi-Wan?s forehead, confirming that he already knew one thing: the boy had a raging fever. The master ran his hand gently through his padawan?s spiky hair, and found it damp with perspiration. He had already been sweating for some time, obviously, and Qui-Gon wondered anxiously how long the boy had had this fever. Why hadn?t he said anything about it earlier?

A sudden distant rumble of thunder drew Qui-Gon?s attention unwillingly up to the patches of sky visible through the branches overhead, and he saw that the clouds had darkened considerably since they were in that clearing earlier. And then a great rustling sound started in the distance, swelling in volume as it swept across the forest, a great wind stirring the tops of all the trees. The afternoon sunlight winked out, and it grew quite dim under the rustling forest, as if twilight was already upon it. And then it thundered again, louder and closer, and the big Jedi knew for certain that a strong storm was very rapidly approaching. He needed to get them back to their shelter, and quickly.

Qui-Gon very gently gathered his padawan up into his arms, letting the boy?s head come to rest on his broad shoulder, and his concern for the youth spiked as he felt just how warm his whole body was, even through his clothes. He set off at a rapid pace through the trees, fern fronds and low-hung branches frequently slapping him in the face or thwapping him in the back as he waded heedlessly into them. He fervently wished there was more waiting for him at the end of his trek than a hollow tree with a leaf-covered floor, a fully stocked med-bay would be nice. But the one he could have used had been in the part of the ship that broke off during the crash, and even if it hadn?t been destroyed, he had no idea where it was. So all he could offer his padawan now was shelter from the storm, the comfort of familiar surroundings, and all the love and caring he possessed. He just hoped it would be enough.

Qui-Gon finally crested the hill, and then just a few more long strides brought him back to their shelter, the large crack in the side of the tree yawning in welcome. Gently shifting his padawan in his arms, he carefully maneuvered both of them through the opening. Obi-Wan?s robe was still lying where he had left it that morning, and the big Jedi quickly had it spread out over the leaves. Then he very gently lay his padawan down on top of it, lasting removing his own robe to serve once again as a pillow for the young Jedi. Suddenly a bright flash lit up the dim interior of the tree, followed almost instantaneously by a tremendous crack and loud roiling boom. Qui-Gon nearly flinched, that had been unexpected, and very loud. And entirely too close. Echoes of the thunder were still booming all across the sky, as if the clouds had all broken open at once.

?Mmph?? Qui-Gon turned anxiously back to his padawan, placing his large hand on the boy?s sweaty forehead. His eyes were fluttering, his breathing more rapid as he whimpered again.

?Obi-Wan, Padawan, can you hear me?? But it was no use, the boy?s eyes fluttered for a moment longer, and then they closed again. As the thunder outside began r

13. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Wow. This was a nicely, intense chapter. I love your style of writing. It is so vivid and filled with details, but not so much that it is a slow read, its just the perfect mix. A perfectly crafted story.

Very entertaining, the part where the fish/shark was after Qui-gon. And so like Qui-gon to let the it go, and not drown, at least he got a free ride out of it. Ahah. Very ingenius.

Brillant writing. Superb story. Although, I'm a little bit worried for Qui-gon, I don't believe he gave himself an antibiotic, he better be careful, or else Obi-wan will have to take care of him. lol

Thank you for the lovely update! I had been waiting for it! =)

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Though I knew both Jedi would be okay, I was worried. Don't be worried about your action scenes.

Excellent update!

15. Sabriel_Orion

Sabriel_Orion Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2008
    You did great on the action scenes. :D Don't think you didn't.

You've kept my interest, so you don't have to worry on that score either.

*hugs*

Keep up the good work. :D

16. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Brilliant.=D=

Every detail was meticulously done,=D= and the action in the ship and surrounding water kept me glued to the screen.[face_worried]

I could feel in your writing Qui-Gons worry for his Padawan, all in all a very action packed post:cool:

Great job =D=

17. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Wow! That was intense! Wonderful attention to detail providing your readers with another delightful post. Although, I was kind of worried about Obi-Wan for a while! Here's hoping that you'll update soon![face_praying]

18. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    What an intense update!
    And a wonderful one!

He backed up further into the vegetation, even as the shark accelerated towards him, its mouth gaping wide. Suddenly, something very large passed by overhead, and Qui-Gon watched with amazement as the sea-serpent he had so recently freed, small pieces of debris still imbedded here and there in its flesh, closed its huge jaws over the shark. Not slowing down once, even as the shark thrashed in its deadly grip, it swam away in a great cloud of blood, and was soon lost in the distance.
    Somehow I couldn't help but thinking 'There's always a bigger fish' ;) :p

Glad to know Obi-Wan's fever broke - now let's just hope Qui-Gon doesn't catch one himself from that wound - it sounded pretty serious.

Wonder how/when they will ever be rescued...

Can't wait for more!

19. Glenstorm

Glenstorm Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 27, 2006
    Wow =D=

Loved every second of that. This story just keeps getting better and better.

I absolutely loved the title. I kept thinking about where I'd heard it before. Now I know :D

And I know everyone else has said this too, but it's true: don't worry about your action scene. I too find it hard to write action but I think you've done brilliantly! =D=

I really enjoyed the underwater adventure and, like Qui-Gina, I couldn't help but keep thinking of the "There's always a bigger fish" line. :D

Well done! More soon please [face_praying]

20. JediKenshin

JediKenshin Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2008
    Excellent, as always. Love the title of the chapter.

21. Lileia

Lileia Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2008
    I liked the story very much and wait for updates impatiently.=D=

But I have a message to you from my Russian friend who asked me to translate it for him. :)

---
    The last episode is so very dynamic that it?s impossible to turn yourself away from it! Of course, I know that ancient monsters can?t eat Qui-Gon, but I still hold my breath while reading! It?s like you?re in a movie theatre, clutching arms of the chair out of worry. [face_hypnotized] :)

Every single detail is so logical and precise!
    And I love the wonderful lyrics of Qui-Gon?s fatherly emotions!

The character of Qui-Gon is described in full detail, including his great love to all living things and absolute connection to the Living Force. He can?t leave to die even the monster.
    This is amazing, wonderful and so moving.

Even the eerie episode when Qui-Gon treats his wound with his lightsaber is written without naturalism and gloominess.

This is a pure romanticism (and I can?t think of a better compliment!) ? a genre I thought to have been long gone, which stayed only on pages of old Masters of Literature.

This novel reminded me of good old books ? world classical adventure literature. Somehow it reminds me most of all of ?The Lost World? by Arthur Conan Doyle. But not even because of the dynosaurs or breath-taking adventures. Because of absolute, invaluable, ?old-fashioned? decency of the characters.

Absolute Purity and Light!

I do hope this story will not be left uncompleted as it happened to some very good stories.
    Thank you very much.
    (from Russia with love ;-) )
    ---

22. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    I thought the action was very well written. You've obviously did your prehistoric research. I kept waiting a T-Rex to show up when they were watching the giant grazers. I wonder what the boys would make of Rapters.

=D= Bravo! I look forward to reading more of this.

23. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    If anyone is still reading this, don?t worry, I haven?t given up on it! Sorry it?s taking so long, and I really don?t have a good excuse, except massive writer?s block. [face_frustrated] Ugh. Anyway, the next chapter is almost ready to post, I just have to go back now and proofread it. I?m going to try really hard not to take so long on the next chapter, so I don?t lose all of my readers, if I haven?t already. :_|

Cole Kenobi-- Brillant writing. Superb story. [face_blush] Aww, you?re spoiling me with all your praise! :p But I really do appreciate it, thank you so much! [:D] I'm a little bit worried for Qui-gon, I don't believe he gave himself an antibiotic, he better be careful, or else Obi-wan will have to take care of him. Don?t worry, he was able to properly clean and bandage his wound almost right away, so no infections for Qui-Gon. :D

Valairy Scot-- Though I knew both Jedi would be okay, I was worried. Don't be worried about your action scenes. Excellent update! :D Thank you! I?m glad you liked the action, and sorry I worried you! Okay, not really? :p

Sabriel Orion-- You did great on the action scenes. Don't think you didn't. [face_blush] Thank you so much!

You've kept my interest, so you don't have to worry on that score either. :D I?m glad! I just hope this long delay between posts didn?t ruin it. [face_worried]

Gkilkenny-- Every detail was meticulously done, and the action in the ship and surrounding water kept me glued to the screen. [face_love] Aww, thanks! I?m glad you guys liked the action!

I could feel in your writing Qui-Gons worry for his Padawan, all in all a very action packed post :) I?m glad that came across so well, I sometimes have as much trouble writing emotion as I do writing action. [face_frustrated]

jedidas3-- Wow! That was intense! Wonderful attention to detail providing your readers with another delightful post. [face_blush] Aww, you guys are too kind! Thank you! [face_love]

Although, I was kind of worried about Obi-Wan for a while! [face_mischief]

Here's hoping that you'll update soon! :( Sorry about that! But more is coming up soon now!

Qui-Jina-Jinn-- What an intense update! And a wonderful one! [face_love] Thank you!

Somehow I couldn't help but thinking 'There's always a bigger fish' [face_laugh] Me too! Actually, I think I address that in this post coming up?

Glad to know Obi-Wan's fever broke - now let's just hope Qui-Gon doesn't catch one himself from that wound - it sounded pretty serious. Don?t worry, he?ll be okay. :) Though soon they?ll have bigger things to worry about. [face_mischief]

Wonder how/when they will ever be rescued... [face_thinking] Me too! ;)

Glenstorm-- Loved every second of that. This story just keeps getting better and better. [face_blush] Aww, thanks!

I absolutely loved the title. I kept thinking about where I'd heard it before. Now I know [face_love] Gotta love that Nigel Marven!

I too find it hard to write action but I think you've done brilliantly! [face_love] Thank you, I?m glad you guys enjoyed it!

JediKenshin-- Excellent, as always. Love the title of the chapter. [:D] Thanks so much!

Lileia-- I liked the story very much and wait for updates impatiently. [face_love] Thank you, and I?m sorry for the delay, I?ll try my hardest to do better next time! :_|

And please tell your Russian friend thank you very much for such a nice and detailed review! [:D] I?m glad they?re enjoying my story too!

This novel reminded me of good old books ? world classical adventure literature. Somehow it reminds me most of all of ?The Lost World? by Arthur Conan Doyle. But not even because of the dynosaurs or breath-taking adventur

24. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Chapter Four--A Warning

Obi-Wan came back to consciousness slowly. He was still so tired, he didn?t want to open his eyes. He was warm, and lying on something soft, and he could hear a gentle pattering sound that was threatening to lull him back to sleep even before he had a chance to come fully awake. The boy had just decided that that wouldn?t be such a bad thing after all when he realized that his warm, soft pillow was slowly, gently moving up and down.

Curious, Obi-Wan opened his eyes a crack. Finding himself face to face with his slumbering master, he blinked in surprise. What was he doing lying on top of Qui-Gon? Had he rolled over onto him in his sleep? But then he realized that not only were his own arms around his master, but Qui-Gon?s arms were around him as well. He felt himself blushing slightly, feeling a little awkward at such an open display from his stoic master. He started to pull away, but then stopped when Qui-Gon stirred.

?It?s okay, Obi-Wan,? the big Jedi murmured. ?You?re gonna be okay?? His strong arms tightened their hold just a little, and then he moved one large hand up to rest on the boy?s head, gently drawing it back to his broad chest. Obi-Wan was too surprised to resist, he had never heard Qui-Gon talk in his sleep before. ?Hmm?my Padawan,? he heard his master whisper, and then the big Jedi stilled again, falling back to deeper sleep.

Obi-Wan just lay there for a moment, a strange mixture of emotions washing over him. His slight embarrassment had quickly given way to a sort of shy pleasure. He smiled to himself. His master had never held him like this before, and he was finding the big Jedi?s arms to be very comforting. He felt completely safe and secure, like nothing would ever harm him here.

Obi-Wan?s smile turned into a yawn. He really was still very tired, he felt his eyes growing heavier again. He wondered idly what time of day it was, the light in their tree wasn?t all that bright, but it was also raining. It was the perfect sort of day to sleep in, he decided, as his eyes drifted closed. The gentle rise and fall of his master?s chest, the steady, strong heartbeat in his ear, the gentle weight of the hand on his head, and the soft patter of rain outside all soon mixed together in his mind to one single sensation of peace, security, and utter contentment as he drifted off to a peaceful slumber.

When Obi-Wan woke up again, he was actually disappointed to find himself alone. He had no memory of his master laying him down and leaving, he must have been really soundly asleep. He reached along their bond, and smiled when his master immediately responded. //Good morning, my Padawan,// he said, his voice infused with all the love and affection he could clearly sense was directed his way.

//Good morning, Master,// Obi-Wan returned.

//I?ll be right there, Padawan,// Qui-Gon assured. //With breakfast.//

Obi-Wan smiled. //Thank you, Master!// He heard Qui-Gon chuckle before he withdrew from the bond.

Obi-Wan yawned, leisurely stretching his arms and legs as he laid on the soft bed of leaves. It was only then that he finally noticed his left arm didn?t hurt anymore. He looked at it, and was very surprised to see his forearm wrapped in a bright white, crispy-clean bandage. He blinked. Where had that come from? Both he and Qui-Gon had been out of medical supplies from their belts, hadn?t they? Yes, they had, he was sure of it. Did the Temple find them already, then? But if so, why was he still in the tree? Obi-Wan looked around, this was most definitely still the tree they had slept in since their first night here.

Obi-Wan?s wandering eyes saw something then that hadn?t been there before. It was a yellow pack lying against the tree wall. Where had that come from? Now more confused than ever, Obi-Wan slowly sat up, intending to examine the pack more closely, but he stopped as a wave of dizziness washed over him. He closed his eyes, waiting for it to pass. He felt so drained, like he hadn?t slept in a week.

?Are

25. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Curious, Obi-Wan opened his eyes a crack. Finding himself face to face with his slumbering master, he blinked in surprise. What was he doing lying on top of Qui-Gon? Had he rolled over onto him in his sleep? But then he realized that not only were his own arms around his master, but Qui-Gon?s arms were around him as well. He felt himself blushing slightly, feeling a little awkward at such an open display from his stoic master. He started to pull away, but then stopped when Qui-Gon stirred.

?It?s okay, Obi-Wan,? the big Jedi murmured. ?You?re gonna be okay?? His strong arms tightened their hold just a little, and then he moved one large hand up to rest on the boy?s head, gently drawing it back to his broad chest. Obi-Wan was too surprised to resist, he had never heard Qui-Gon talk in his sleep before. ?Hmm?my Padawan,? he heard his master whisper, and then the big Jedi stilled again, falling back to deeper sleep.

Obi-Wan just lay there for a moment, a strange mixture of emotions washing over him. His slight embarrassment had quickly given way to a sort of shy pleasure. He smiled to himself. His master had never held him like this before, and he was finding the big Jedi?s arms to be very comforting. He felt completely safe and secure, like nothing would ever harm him here.

Obi-Wan?s smile turned into a yawn. He really was still very tired, he felt his eyes growing heavier again. He wondered idly what time of day it was, the light in their tree wasn?t all that bright, but it was also raining. It was the perfect sort of day to sleep in, he decided, as his eyes drifted closed. The gentle rise and fall of his master?s chest, the steady, strong heartbeat in his ear, the gentle weight of the hand on his head, and the soft patter of rain outside all soon mixed together in his mind to one single sensation of peace, security, and utter contentment as he drifted off to a peaceful slumber.

That sounds so soothing I'm almost tempted to head to bed. I'll give you an "aw, sweet" x2 on that.

?Master?? Obi-Wan asked in a small voice, feeling tears of shame suddenly prick at his eyes. ?You had to go back in the ocean again, didn?t you? Because of me.? Images of that big mouth full of teeth jumping out of the water to eat that flying reptile started replaying over and over through his head, and he wondered what sort of horrors his master had encountered in that ocean.

Qui-Gon scooted forward, and sitting down next to his padawan he put his hand on his shoulder. ?It wasn?t as bad as you?re obviously thinking, my Padawan,? he said gently. ?And as you can clearly see, I?m still in one piece.? He picked the spoon back up, and Obi-Wan took it with a grateful smile. ?Now finish eating, and I?ll tell you all about it.?

?Oh, Master, I?m sorry I caused you so much trouble,? Obi-Wan said, hanging his head, truly feeling ashamed of himself. His master could easily have gotten killed because of him! He felt Qui-Gon put a strong arm around him, bringing him closer, and Obi-Wan leaned in to rest his head on the man?s shoulder. He almost smiled in gratitude as he felt a wave of comfort sent his way over the bond.

?Listen to me, my Padawan,? Qui-Gon said gently, resting his chin lightly on top of Obi-Wan?s head. ?You were very sick, and as your master it?s my duty to look after you, to make sure you?re safe. But I consider it to be much more than a duty, my Padawan, it?s a privilege, and a pleasure. You?re the best thing that?s ever happened to me, you know that, don?t you?? He said it so earnestly that Obi-Wan pulled back to look at his face, and saw his master smiling gently down at him. After a moment, the young Jedi smiled back, seeing Qui-Gon?s sincerity in his expression

Aw....again.[face_love]