main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Long Time Ago, But Not so Far Away (Qui, Obi JA)--Ch. 7- Why is it Always Obi-Wan Who Get's Hurt?!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Bastet, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    What a wonderful trek through the bush. I loved the descriptions of each passing phase of ground they covered.=D=

The grass stew amazed me but of course when you're in the middle of a world that is hostile and baron anything to eat is better than nothing.

Now Obi-Wan is expecting bad things to happen. I'm expecting bad things to happen... Don't they always happen to Obi-Wan:p

=D=

2. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Not worth the wait? It most certainly was! Your descriptions are so vivid. I recognized much of the landscape. When they crossed the geothermal region, I couldn't help thinking about Yellowstone. With all the geographic changes about to take place once the asteroid hits, I wonder if that's exactly what that place will turn out to be. ;) A nice, long chapter. Thanks so much for sticking with this story. It really was well worth waiting for. I look forward to seeing what they encounter next. I wonder if the Force will tell Qui-Gon NOT to run from the T-Rex? Can't you just see Obi's expression when Qui tells him to freeze?

Please don't take another 6 months to update this wonderful story, Bastet. I'm really loving it. [face_love]

3. morning_aura

morning_aura Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2009
    *De-lurks*

YAAAAAY! An update at last! This story is certainly worth the wait.

*Re-lurks*

4. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    An update! I loved the chapter, and the action kept the writing interesting. :) I also loved the Qui/Obi mush, but who doesn't? Thanks so much for writing! :)

5. Sabriel_Orion

Sabriel_Orion Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2008
    An update! YAY! *dances*

I was looking forward to it, and the long wait didn't bother me a bit, since I ended up losing my net service for a long time. XD

But anyway, it was SO worth the wait. Great job, and great descriptions. :D

6. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    This fic has piqued my interest.

I'd love to be on the PM list for this.

I'm enjoying it so far :)

EG

7. Lileia

Lileia Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2008
    Finally it happened! :D

What a wonderful chapter and Qui-Gon is a perfect father. It's just impossible not to love them. [face_love]
    Thank you so much for an update.

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Very descriptive. I could really see the Yellowstone-like basin for hot springs, etc. Plus I liked how Qui-Gon started making stew from leaves and grasses. Great job with this.

9. nancydrewgirl

nancydrewgirl Jedi Master

Jun 10, 2009
    This story...the relationship between Qui-Gon and Obi...

Keep up the good work, and continue soon!

~Aubrey

10. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    *sigh* No, I don't have an update. :( I'm so sorry you guys, I really hate taking this long to update. I don't know how you frequent posters do it, you guys amaze me. Chaining myself to the computer obviously didn't work.[face_frustrated] I wish I wasn't such a slow writer.

I knew if I didn't update before the semester started, it would be too late, since Physics would start ruining my life. (And also Earth Materials, as it turned out.) But now that there's less than a week before finals start, Physics II and Earth Materials II will soon be a distant memory, hooray! (Provided I pass the finals...I have my doubts...[face_worried]) And it's not helping that I've lately gotten involved in another fandom, and it's been majorly distracting me from Star Wars. And the latest book from it comes out on May 11, woohoo!!

So anyway, I am still determined to finish this story, even if it kills me, and even if no one is still interested. My goal is to get the rest of it written this summer, while my class load is light. Yes, yes, I know what you're thinking... Anyway, since this story is once again in grave peril of being locked, I thought I had better go ahead and do replies:

Valairy_Scot:
    Qui is channeling my mother. "C'mon, you can't say you don't like it if you don't try it."

"No - don't wanna."

"Just one little bite."

"No. Smells bad."
    [face_laugh] Sounds just like our two fave Jedi. Thanks for reading, I'm glad you liked that post. [face_love]

Gkilkenny:
    What a wonderful trek through the bush. I loved the descriptions of each passing phase of ground they covered. :D Aww, thanks. I'm glad you liked it!

Now Obi-Wan is expecting bad things to happen. I'm expecting bad things to happen... Don't they always happen to Obi-Wan [face_devil] Yes they do, poor guy.

p_stotts:
    Not worth the wait? It most certainly was! [face_blush] Thanks! I just hope you feel the same about this next chapter... [face_worried]

Your descriptions are so vivid. I recognized much of the landscape. When they crossed the geothermal region, I couldn't help thinking about Yellowstone. [face_love] That's where I got the idea from. Yellowstone is my favorite place on Earth, so of course I had to send our Jedi to some place similar.

morning_aura:
    *De-lurks*

YAAAAAY! An update at last! This story is certainly worth the wait.

*Re-lurks*
    :D Wow, I got a lurker to post, thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the update.

dimyavie:
    An update! I loved the chapter, and the action kept the writing interesting. [face_love] I'm glad you liked it.

I also loved the Qui/Obi mush, but who doesn't? [face_love] Indeed.

Sabriel_Orion:
    I was looking forward to it, and the long wait didn't bother me a bit, since I ended up losing my net service for a long time. [face_frustrated] Don't you just hate computer problems? I'm glad you got your service back, though.

But anyway, it was SO worth the wait. Great job, and great descriptions. :D Aww, thanks! I'm really glad you found it worth the wait.

EGKenobi:
    This fic has piqued my interest.

I'd love to be on the PM list for this.

I'm enjoying it so far
    :D Ooh, a new reader! I'd love to put you on the PM list, I'm glad you're enjoying the story!

Lileia:
    What a wonderful chapter and Qui-Gon is a perfect father. It's just impossible not to love them. [face_love] I totally agree. I'm glad you liked the update.

dianethx:
    Very descriptive. I could really see the Yellowstone-like basin for hot springs, etc. Plus I liked how Qui-Gon started making stew from leaves and grasses. Great job with this. :D Thank you very much!

nancydrewgirl:
    This story...the relationship between Qui-Gon and Obi... [face_love] I hope that means you like their relationship in my story.

Keep up the good work, and con

11. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    love so far how the story is moving. Please update when you have time, but don´t forget the hole story.

PM-Please.!!

12. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Just found this story and wanted to say that I am enjoying it very much. Poor Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan - they still haven't seen the worst of it yet! And having to survive on stewed grass! ;) I'm really curious as to where and when the human footprint within the dinosaur footprint will come about. :)

I really loved your descriptions of the surroundings - they're incredibly vivid! I'm only sorry that I haven't been to National Parks such as Yellowstone so as to have an even clearer picture of the view. [face_blush]

Hope the end of your term went/is going well! Would you please put me on your PM list? Thanks!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Musn't let my poor story get locked! Noooo! :_|

I wanted to post a story update today, but it's not quite ready yet, I need one more day. (Thankfully I have no classes for the rest of the week, hooray for Thanksgiving. :D) I have most of it written, I just need to write transitions between sections now. But since I'm upping this, I'll do replies:

littleobiwankenobi--love so far how the story is moving. Please update when you have time, but don´t forget the hole story [face_love] I promise I won't, and I feel so bad is taking so long. :_| I'm glad that you like how the story is moving, too, I was afraid people might think it was getting slow and boring. [face_worried] Thanks so much for reading! [face_love]

Valiowk--Just found this story and wanted to say that I am enjoying it very much. [face_love] Thank you very much, I?m glad you like it! And thanks so much for reading! :D

Poor Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan - they still haven't seen the worst of it yet! [face_devil] Nope, I'm afraid they haven't. [face_whistling]

I'm really curious as to where and when the human footprint within the dinosaur footprint will come about. [face_worried] Uh oh, that already happened. That scene was in the last four paragraphs of Chapter Five-The Start of a Long Walk.

I really loved your descriptions of the surroundings - they're incredibly vivid! [face_blush] Aww, thanks, I'm trying!

I'm only sorry that I haven't been to National Parks such as Yellowstone so as to have an even clearer picture of the view. :( Alas, not everyone can live so close, unfortunately. I got lucky because I now live only a 5 hour drive away from Yellowstone, but I know it will be a lot harder to go there if I have to move any farther away than that. [face_frustrated]

I went ahead and posted this early today also because there is a big, bad blizzard heading my way, with life-threatening conditions. [face_worried] Let?s just say I?m glad I live in an apartment, and so won?t have to shovel sidewalks tomorrow. [face_love] And I just heard that my university is closing at 2 today, so now I have no class today, either. [face_dancing] I just really hope I don?t lose power! [face_praying]

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Hah, our winter storm that all but paralyzed western Washington is moving towards you.

I look forward - eagerly - to your update.

15. The1stJediPrincess

The1stJediPrincess Jedi Master star 2

Sep 20, 2010
    Just found this and it's very good. Looking forward to your update.

16. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Hi, found this story a couple days ago and have caught up. You are gaining readers[face_dancing] and I hope you will update soon! I love your descriptions...so detailed, I can really picture Obi and Qui-Gon surviving in this prehistoric environment. I wonder how the Temple will locate them. They seem so far away and alone, but I'm guessing you do have a rescue in the plans at some point...Looking forward to more..=D=

17. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    [face_worried] Umm... I feel really guilty about this, but my update isn't quite ready even now, I'm really really really sorry! :( But I once again found myself having to rescue my story hours away from being locked. :( I said I was gonna update this at Thanksgiving, but I realized I had more left to write than I thought, and then I got sick and didn't feel like writing, and then classes started again, and finals were just around the corner, so obviously I got nothing done then. And then I went home for Christmas for three weeks, and had no chance to write then. But now that it's summer semester, and I have only one class, I have NO excuse for not getting the update finished and posted by the end of this week.

Except that, well, my interest in Star Wars suffered a major derailment over Christmas break when I was introduced to the man who has become my most favorite actor in the entire world, Shah Rukh Khan (he's a Bollywood star from India). I fell under the spell of his charm very hard, and have found myself not wanting to do anything in my spare time except watch one of his movies. I now own 47 of them (one is actually a 13-episode TV series and not a movie), and as I type this I'm listening to music from his movies that is now all I like to listen to on my mp3 player. I think I need help, but I don't want it, I'm having too much fun. I'm also learning quite a bit of Hindi, I think I've learned about 40 or so words so far.

[image=http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x355/Darth_Tornado/tumblr_l83dcvDH2o1qdt2smo1_500.jpg] [image=http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x355/Darth_Tornado/tumblr_lg0hoySOPy1qdt2smo1_500.jpg] [image=http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x355/Darth_Tornado/tumblr_lblcclQFcP1qdt2smo1_500.jpg]

Anyone else see my problem? =P~ [face_love] =P~ [face_love]

However, I really really want to finish this story, I promised myself that I would, and my readers too! :( I really feel guilty for taking so long with this, but I also can?t seem to get my brain to focus like it should. I?m just going to have to tear myself away from Shahrukh?s soul-full eyes and gorgeous, dimpled smile long enough to finish this story, I know. =P~ =P~

And now since I?ve upped this already I should at least do replies:

Valairy_Scot- I look forward - eagerly - to your update. :( I?m sorry!! Hopefully very soon!

The1stJediPrincess- Just found this and it's very good. Looking forward to your update. [face_love] I?m glad you liked it so far, thanks. More very soon!

obimom- I love your descriptions...so detailed, I can really picture Obi and Qui-Gon surviving in this prehistoric environment. [face_love] Aww, thanks! I?m always afraid my descriptions are too wordy, I?m glad you liked them.
    They seem so far away and alone, but I'm guessing you do have a rescue in the plans at some point [face_whistling] Let?s hope so? Thanks very much for reading!

I?m determined to work on this story all day tomorrow, and I will have the next post up by the end of this week. I promise! There, now I have too, because I can?t break my promise, right? :D In fact, while I?m at it, I need to promise to have this story finished by the end of the summer, since I know if I don?t it will be yet another year before I?ll have time to update again. So, I promise to have this story done by the end of the summer! There. Even if no one is still interested in this story after all this time, I will finish it by the end of August. But right now I find myself in serious need to re-watch one of my favorite movies, Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi. [face_love]

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Nope - can't break your promises! [face_not_talking] If promises are broken...well...there's other things that can be broken ;) [face_laugh]

19. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Ok... he is kinda cute, but i'm hanging on here for you to get back to this story.

I'll be waiting patiently Bastet.[:D]

20. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Well, it's the end of the week, and finally I have an update! :eek: I really do feel bad about how long it's been since I last updated, I'm very sorry, everyone! :( :_| I'm trying to get my interest in this story back, and Star Wars in general, so I can be better motivated to write. But I have to be anyway, since I promised to finish this story by the end of the summer. I have three chapters left, but I don't think any of them will be as long as chapter 7.

But first replies:

Valairy Scot- If promises are broken...well...there's other things that can be broken [face_beatup] Eeek! Good thing you don't know where I live! [face_whistling] Hope you like this next chapter, and thanks for still being interested in my story! [:D] And I'm going to catch up on your story this week, I've fallen waaay behind. :(

Gkilkenny- Ok... he is kinda cute [face_love] I know, right? =P~ Though it wasn't until I saw him acting in a movie that I really fell in love with him, and then he just kept getting cuter and cuter, and hotter and hotter, until I have a hard time taking my eyes off of him whenever he's on screen. (Which is bad, since I have to read subtitles to find out what the heck is going on in all his movies). But I digress...

I'll be waiting patiently Bastet. [:D] I know, I'm sorry, and thank you! I hope you find this chapter worth the wait! [:D] I'll be catching up on your story this week too! [face_love]

So now for those few, if any, who are still interested in my story after aaaallll this time, here is chapter 7! (To refresh your memories about what just happened, a pack of hungry Troodon had just tried to eat Obi-Wan in the night, and Qui-Gon killed several of them with his lightsaber.)

Chapter Seven?Why is it Always Obi-Wan Who Gets Hurt?!

The two Jedi spent the rest of the night taking turns on guard, but neither one saw or heard any other signs of animal activity. Qui-Gon wondered where those creatures that had attacked his padawan had come from, for their was no sign of them now. If it wasn?t for the three dead bodies lying several meters away, he never would have suspected their had been any action last night. It was so quiet now.

They ate the last scraps of food from the pack for breakfast, with more stewed grass to go along with it. Qui-Gon was somewhat dubious of the grass, however. He had noticed when they reached the end of the plain yesterday and descended into this land of ridges and cliffs, that the grass had changed. Now it was feathery, when before it had been thicker, hardier, and more substantial. Given enough effort at domestication, he knew that the grass on the plain had the potential to one day be cultivated as a grain. This grass now though, he could tell as he chewed it, did not have that potential. It contained hardly any nutrients, not ones that the human body was capable of processing, at any rate. He hoped that they made it to the forest soon, and that it would prove as abundant as the one down by the ocean had, half a month?s journey behind.

As he finished his breakfast, Qui-Gon decided he should see if the creatures he killed last night were edible. No point in letting all that meat go to waste. Obi-Wan heartily approved of the delay in starting their hike to roast some meat, they hadn?t had any substantial protein in days. Qui-Gon carefully cut several large strips of meat from one of the creatures with his fold-knife, then he draped them over a long stick suspended between two rocks and built a small fire underneath. An hour later the meat was ready, but just as he feared, it proved to be rather tough and stringy. Those creatures had been rather lean and wiry. He looked over at his padawan, and saw that the boy was making a face as he chewed.

?Ugh, Master, this is harder to chew than nerf jerky,? Obi-Wan said after he finally swallowed his mouthful. ?I think I?m using more energy eating this than I?m gaining from it.?

?Mmm

21. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Their trek is taking them through dangerous places and now poor Obi-Wan is injured.:_|

Will they be safe when they reach the mountains.[face_worried]

Hey Bastet please remember that I like Obi-Wan as much as you like Shah Rukh Khan so don't hurt him too much:D

great post.=D=

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    What a way to start a Monday work week [face_dancing] . Poor Obi-Wan, the planet does have it in for him; the Force sees to it the bad luck isn't too bad.

23. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Love the detailed descriptions of the wildness of the planet. I can really see the images you paint with your words. Excellent job! =D=

Poor Obi-Wan, injured again. Out of the frying pan and into the fire, as the old saying goes...:)

This is such an interesting story, and I'm glad you chose my two fav. Jedi to be the ones to explore it. (Especially Obi-Wan) :)

24. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Wow I can't beleive it took me this long to find this story. :eek: Just spent the last couple hours reading through the whole thing and all I have to say is this is quite possibly the BEST Qui/Obi FanFic I've ever read!!!! =D= I LOVE the father/son dynamic going on here between the two Jedi. [face_love]

Poor Obi! And I thought Luke was the one who was always getting hurt! :( First a broken arm, then almost eaten by things that sounded like Raptors, then hit in the chest by an anklosaurus (sp?). BTW with most of the dinos I was muttering their types under my breath. Pteranodons, possibly Plesiosaurus, anklosaurus, of course T Rex...

This story reminds me of Steven Speilbergs' work. I swear I had the Jaws theme pounding in my head while Qui-Gon was looking for the medkit, and once they encounter the dinosaurs it became like Jurassic Park! [face_worried]

Please oh please oh PLEASE don't wait six long months to update again! [face_praying] This is great!!!

25. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    It HAS been six (minus one) months - have to save this story from getting locked (though of course the author can always unlock it).