main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A long time ago...for those who were around and saw the original 30 years ago

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by JediEddy, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediEddy

JediEddy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2001
    No, our fire hasn't gone out in the galaxy just yet. I was lucky enough to see Star Wars in the theater, when it was just Star Wars, not A New Hope, not Episode IV. It affected me in ways I still don't understand. I even named my children after characters. Luke (19), Ben (17) and Anakin (13). Anyway, my wife and I attended CIII and we had a really good time and met a few younger fans. Which was nice, but for this trip we are hoping to meet fans more our age, not that we're anywhere near Yoda's. If anyone's interested in meeting please drop me a PM. We'd love to get together and talk about a "more civilized age". We're flying in from South Carolina on the 23rd and staying across the road at the Holiday Inn. Nothing against you young padawans but these days I'm more interested in sleep then partying. See you all in May! Oh, I was 14 when I saw Star Wars, so you do the math. :^)

2. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Well JE, I was 13 when I first saw Star Wars (no "A New Hope" or Episode IV), so I relate to a lot of what you posted! Even though I tend to be older than most of my Fan Force, I've made a lot of good friends of many different ages! When you have that similiar SW passion (or addiction :D) , there's an automatic connection between us all. Isn't it great!!!

I'm also staying at the Holiday Inn, so maybe we can try to have an "Ol' Timers" gathering!

3. Kuali5150

Kuali5150 Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2007
    I remember it well. Long time ago, in a movie theater far, far.....well actually it was pretty close to my house back then. :)

4. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    My town was quite a bit like Tatooine, a hot desert with not a whole lot of population. I'm sorry to say that the theater has burned down. Anytime I go back home and pass that sad empty lot, I can't help but think about many happy times... the best being introduced to Star Wars.

5. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    I was not even a twinkle in my parents eyes 30 years ago :p
    I do like to hear the stories though of watching it the first time round and wish I was there to live the moment and be able to go in the store and see the original 12 back figures.
    In a way I kind of think watching star wars in 3D will be like watching a totally new film.

6. Shivann_D

Shivann_D Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 28, 2006
    AHHHH the good ole days.....I was 7 when A New Hope started at our theaters here in Virginia.....So I got the full effect of the movie, toys and other collectibles. I cant wait for CIV in May....if I could only get my plane fare set I will be in the clear. See yall in May.

7. JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY

JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    I thought I'll share how it all begain with me.
    August 20 1977, I was 9 years old and my father and uncle wanted to go see the new movie everyone was talking about. My mom was going shopping. So they made me go to the movies with them. I was mad. I didn't want to go see some stupid movie called Star Wars. I remember sitting there mad as heck, I was not going to like this at all. BOOM, the music started playing. Ok , you got my attention but still not going to be good. Ok, out in space and whats this coming down....its a space ship......lasers flying everywhere......oh my look at that big ship. The rest is history.

The next saturday at TG&Y (like a Walmart) my $2.00s was burning a hole in my pocket. Had a bag of army men when I saw the display. They made Star Wars actions figures. Only had a few to chose from. Stupid Jawa with plastic cape or sandman. Had to go with tuskin raider. Besides, the Jawa with PLASTIC cape was everywhere, like 30 of them where there was only a few Tuskin Raiders. Cher has a song called "If I can Turn Back Time". Anyway, I needed and extra 12 cents which my mom let me have.

Yo Shivann_D, I know I'll see you there roomie.

8. Doctor_Evil

Doctor_Evil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    I was 9 in '77. At first I had no interest in SW at all. I had no exposure to Sci Fi and to be honest, in my little 9 year old head I seem to rememeber seing one commercial for the film and Darth Vader kinda frightened me.

It was not until probably a month later, after the hype had plunged everyone in my school into a frenzy did I get to see it.

And the rest is history... :)

-Al

9. Ysrossko

Ysrossko Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2006
    I was 5 when Star Wars came out in 1977. I remember seeing the movie a bunch of times and my parents still complain till this day about me making them take me over and over again. Been a SW nut ever since. I had all the toys growing up. C-IV will be my first SW convention so I am looking forward to it. It will also be the first time me wearing a SW costume outside of a Halloween party so we'll see how things go.

10. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Ah... back in the days.

The year was 1977. A small company called Apple started selling the first mass market home computers. A peanut farmer was President, and his brother became noteworthy enough to have a beer named after him.

It had been 2 years since the last Apollo mission; a link up with a Soyuz space capsule, in what was a quite a political achievement. The Space Shuttle Enterprise was proving a winged spacecraft, with no engines, could land safely.

Saturday Night Live was actually funny.

Saturday Night Fever was not.

Actually I have no idea where I'm going with this, but figured its good to put things in perspective.

11. DarthSal

DarthSal Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2007
    Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Can't believe I've never been here before. This is exciting.

12. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    Getting together at CIV would be fun. So far I seem to be the oldest to post on this thread as I was 20 in 1977. I even remember seeing the movie preview/trailer in December of 1976 before the movie "Silverstreak" and thinking that I really needed to see this movie. I can't remember how many times I went to see "Star Wars" that summer.

13. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Welcome, DarthSal! Nice to see everyone posting. Steve Sansweet told me that now that the Rose Parade is over, they will get back to planning C-IV. So, hopefully we'll have some new info soon.

And as far as who was around in 1977... I'm older than the lot of you :).

14. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    You're our Yoda of the C-IV boards VK. Full of wisdom but... thankfully, not green. And you have to keep all of us Masters, Knights, Padawans and Younglings in line! Quite a tall order!

15. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    [face_laugh]

I was nine when Star Wars came out. My mom took all the neighborhood kids. We all squished into her Toyota Corolla. Two kids in the front seat, five or so kids sandwiched in the back seat. Heck, I remember a kid up in the back dash! (No seatbelt laws back then I guess, that or my mom had a death wish for all of us kids!)

The movie all blew us away! The rest of the summer was filled with begging our parents to take us back, playing ?lightsabers? with sticks, breathing like Darth Vader to scare the little kids during a night time hide-and-seek session, playing ?star destroyer? as we laid on our backs in the back of our dad?s hatchback as he drove down the interstate and drove under bridges (think of the opening scene). He used to call out. ?enemy spacecraft ahead!? and when we drove under it my brother and I would make all of these funny spacey shooting sounds.

Lufta Shif

16. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I sometimes wish I'd been a kid when the movie came out. Different perspective, and all that. You're older, you're jaded :). Still wonderous, but you certainly watch the movie from a different point of view.

17. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I was born back in December of 1977, so I never got the chance to see any of the OT films in the theater. I did get my OT theatrical "fill" back in '97 with the release of the Special Editions, but that just wasn't quite the same as it would have been back in '77.

But I guess at least I can take solace in the fact that I was born in the same year that "started it all". ;)

18. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    [image=http://images.cafepress.com/product/65381014v2_240x240_Front.jpg]

Gonna have THAT for C-4....

19. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    The only thing I remember about the commercials back in 1977 is seeing the MFalcon flying through space. I thought that was really cool! Even though I was 13 then, I miss out on all the excitement due to living in such a small town and my family convencing me that only boys liked that type of movie. Good thing my cousins dragged me to it that December. And, thank you George Lucas for showing me that Sci-Fi isn't just for boys!!!

20. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I was 11 when Star Wars came out. My oldest daughter (18) is named Leia. It would be cool to arrange some sort of Old-times gathering one night after CIV closes. Hopefully not on Friday or Saturday though as most of the bigger night-time events happen on those two days.

21. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    Hi, StarWars was the first date with my husband! I was 22!We have been fans (although never with Fan Force or anything) since and raised our sons to be also!
    Now our three sons are in their 20's. My son and I are going to C4. He won the airline tickets for his costume and since I make all the costumes, he is taking me!

22. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    That's very cool about it being a first date :). And happy to see you're coming to C-IV!

23. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    What a great story!!! You've obviously done a good job of raising your kids if one of them is flying you out to C-IV. Kudos to you and your husband. Welcome to the boards and we'll see ya in May!

24. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    MomMaster, it sure sounds like the Force is extremely strong in your family!

Excellent job and a wonderful story! =D=

25. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    I was 13 back in '77 and saw Star Wars with my 16 year old brother that first weekend it opened. I think we went back a record 7 times and then my parents stopped letting us go (hah!). We both never got over it and are still huge fans.

I'd like an Ol'Timers get-together at CIV - while it's always fun meeting new people, meeting other fans my age is great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.