main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A long time ago...for those who were around and saw the original 30 years ago

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by JediEddy, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NabooPop

NabooPop Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2000
    Sounds good to me! I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just as convenient as possible for everybody, time-wise.

2. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    Don't make it too late! Some of us seniors would hate to fall asleep mid sentence!!! [face_laugh]

3. NabooPop

NabooPop Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2000
    LOL! There'll be too much to do to fall asleep early, so I'm bringing extra Geritol! (Of course any younglings reading this probably don't know what that is. :( )

4. mrsge

mrsge Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2005
    I remember Geritol. Funny the things you recall when you start reminiscing.

5. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    I think the trend now is Red Bull (or similar)[face_coffee] :D

6. HoraceAustin

HoraceAustin Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2006
    Seeing STAR WARS on the big screen in 1977 for the first time as an 8 year-old was a MINDBLOWING EXPERIENCE.

Keep in mind that this was the era of long lines and the enormous, single-theater movie houses. None of this rinky-dink multiplex stuff we have today. And no cell phones!

When you combine that with the freshness of the film, it's an experience that can't be duplicated.

Sigh.

7. DarthSnuggle

DarthSnuggle LFL Artist VIP

Apr 6, 2007
    I was almost six when "Star Wars" NOT "A New Hope" came out int he theaters. We lived in a quiet and safe town, and could walk to the theater from my home. My three year old sister and I saw it over a hundred times in the theater....

8. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I wasn't even born yet when Star Wars hit theaters back in '77. So you can pretty much guess how excited I was when the 6 Movie Marathon was announced for CIV.

Seeing the OT on the big screen with hundreds of fellow rabid SW fans?? Oh yeah, count me in!! =D=

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I saw the original Star Wars in the theater on a date with my husband. It was months after it was out and only reason we went to see it was to get out of the hot August humidity. I remember the previews and adds for it and thought it looked pretty dumb. Big dog in a space ship. Pfffft.

Funny thing is hubby slept through it (he was working nights then) and I was totally blown away by it. Who'd imagine I'd be here 30 years later. ;) :p

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    If you see me, I'll have a FEW buttons from my Cafe Press shop to hand out....

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/DarthBreezy/FGF1lowres.jpg]

11. Psxjedi76

Psxjedi76 FanForce Chapter Rep star 4 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    I was only two when the movie came out, but my uncle said i was quiet and my eyes were lit up. was a quiet baby through the whole movie till it was over then i threw a fit. in my nexk of the woods in Idaho there was not alot to do back in the 70's and early 80's lots of farm land and stuff.

But i do remember when i was about 4they had a showing of it again at the local theater and i watched it and loved it i already had all the toys that were out at the time. Was a hooked fan you could say.

When empire came out i could not believe what i have heard that Vader was Lukes dad. and he had cut his hand off. My dad use to give me grief (be good or i will cut your hand off)lol kept me good.

I did not believe it to be true untill ROTJ when we got the conformation that it was true i felt so bad for luke at the time.

wow 30 years came fast.

12. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Another oldtimer checking in... In May 1977, Tucson (AZ) had the largest sci-fi/horror/fantasy convention in the history of the Old Pueblo(sadly, still true). I was twenty-three years of age and had been planning to go to this event for months, had even scheduled my vacation around the Memorial Day weekend when this event took place. In one corner of one of the convention rooms was this guy with a cardtable. On the cardtable were STAR WARS paperbacks and double-LP albums. He had one of the albums open, so the pictures from the film were visible. I looked at the photos and all I could think was... ...this had to be one of the hokiest films I had ever heard of!
    Oh, wow! Some guy dressed all in black! Could he possibly be... ....THE VILLIAN!?! Plus some guy has a furry dog-monkey helping him fly(look at my handle to really appreciate the irony). Give me a break!
    But the guy behind the cardtable knew a sucker when he saw one, and I ended up buying the LP, taking it home and listening to it. Repeatedly. I went back and bought the book and read it. I needed to see this film.
    STAR WARS was only being shown in Phoenix(Tucson wouldn't have it's premiere until August), so I drove up to Phoenix that Saturday and bought a ticket to the first showing of the day. After sitting through three straight showings, the theatre manager came down to the front of the theatre and told everybody still seated that we would have to leave since they had sold out the next show.

Needless to say, I went back up to Phoenix again that summer before August came and I could watch it without making the four-hour roundtrip drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.