main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far, Far Away (ANH self-insertion; GWG challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by lazykbys, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazykbys

lazykbys Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    Title: A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Author: lazykbys
    Timeframe: ANH
    Characters: Luke, Owen, Beru, and me
    Genre: self-insertion
    Summary: lazykbys finds himself on Tatooine
    Note: an entry for the Gentlemen's Writing Guild December challenge

[b]A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far, Far Away[/b]

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was how warm - correction, how [i]hot[/i] it was. No matter how warm Japan's winters are compared to Iowa, there was no way it could be [i]this[/i] hot in mid-December.

The second thing I noticed was that I was lying on a rough, hard surface. The third was that I wasn't alone.

"Hey," a male voice said. "You're up. How are you feeling?"

I opened my eyes and saw a big blur, which is the best my eyes can do without corrective lenses.

"I found you by the southern ridge," the voice continued. "What were you doing there, anyway?"

[i]Southern ridge. Unconscious.[/i] I checked the words against last night's memory and didn't have the faintest idea what he was talking about. And why was he talking in English, anyway? Was he an American or something?

"Thank you," I said. "Um, do you have my glasses? I can't see much without them."

"'Glasses'?" he said. It was as if he'd never heard the term before. "Oh, you mean these goggles?"

I accepted them with a nod, wondering if I was dealing with an idiot. There was something about the voice that seemed familiar, though. Then I put my glasses on and found out why.

I was looking at [i]Luke Skywalker![/i]

It couldn't have been Mark Hamil because the original [i]Star Wars[/i] trilogy had been made over twenty years ago. And it couldn't have been a fan in a costume because even the most rabid cos-players do not have plastic surgery to get the look right.

[i]This is a dream. This has[/i] got [i]to be a dream.[/i]

"Where're you from?" he asked.

"Japan. It's - well, it's far from here."

"Tell me about it. This planet is about as far from civilization as you can get."

There was the frustration in his voice that I recognized from the first movie. I almost blurted out right then and there the adventures he was going to have.

"What's your name? Mine's Luke Skywalker."

"Pleased to meet you. I'm Koba -"

Two people chose this time to come in, making me pause in mid-introduction. It was Owen and Beru Lars, as large as life and twice as surreal. Neither of them looked delighted to see me.

"- yashi."

"You're up, I see," Owen said stiffly. "I'm Owen Lars. What's your name, son?"

"He's Koba Yashi," Luke said. "He's from Japan,"

Owen gave Luke a stern look that obviously meant [i]keep quiet[/i]. "My nephew says he found you unconscious without desert gear. Or any ID."

Translation: he wanted to know who I was and if I meant trouble. It wasn't an unreasonable question, but I knew that no matter what I told him, he wouldn't believe me.

"My name is Koba Yashi," I began, not bothering to correct Luke's misunderstanding. "I'm from Japan, a small colony in the Middle Rim. I don't suppose you've heard of it. Anyway, I got tired of being stuck there and bought a ticket out of the system. But instead of taking me to Coruscant, they brought me here and threw me out. They must have emptied my pockets when they did."

For something I came up with on the spot, it was pretty good. It explained my lack of proper desert clothing, my lack of identification, and, I realized with a sinking feeling, my lack of money. I wasn't exactly overflowing with cash back on Earth, but I hadn't been starving, either. In this galaxy far, far away I had absolutely nothing. Plus, the few marketable skills I had picked up over the years now meant [i]zilch[/i].

I gave them a weak smile. "I don't suppose you'd be willing to let me work for you?"

Owen obviously wasn't, but Luke spoke up before his uncle could say no. "Uncle Owen? You're always saying we could use more hands on the farm."

2. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Great story! Seamlessly written and good dialogue. I shudder at Owen's callousness. I admire that Luke was so genuine. I think he got a bad rap by the fans, but I give him credit where credit is due. Too bad about the Owens. I guess some things were just meant to be. I enjoyed reading it all the way through.

I presume that it was a dream?

3. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    Very original idea! I liked it very much.

4. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    Good job. I really enjoyed reading this. The part where you mimiced Leia behind Luke as she was speaking, I could see myself doing the same thing. Good job.

5. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Read and Considered...

A little unbrupt in the beginning, I would have liked some continuity... even if it was like, a bright flash, or walking down the street and something hits me, or whatever.... the whole waking up thing is pretty "boom, here it is..."

I liked that you integrated the fact that you were a Star Wars fan... although you seem to forget it at the end with the homestead point. The happyness at seeing th Lars' and Luke was a very well put point, and one I think everyone can relate to....

There wasn't really a plot, but then again, 5000 words is a not much wiggle room for one.... and you managed to fill you time well doinc charatcer analysis on the narrator instead. Your weaving in with the plot of ANH was very nice as well

6. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Nice work. I thought you did a good job realistically putting yourself into the SW universe. Most people would immediately jump to something flashy instead of life as a moisture farmer.

7. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    great storyline, lazykbys!! I liked that you turned around at the end but that you struggled to do so. Very cool idea.
    :)

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Great story! I'm impressed.

9. lazykbys

lazykbys Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    SkalenFehl: I presume that it was a dream?

I haven't the slightest idea :D

Story-wise, all that matters is that "Koba Yashi" thought it was real enough that he had to try and save the Larses. And the smoke at the end might be nothing more than the burning Jawa crawler.

. . . dang, I let them die, too.

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon: Very original idea! I liked it very much.

Thank you!

CodyMonKenobi: The part where you mimiced Leia behind Luke as she was speaking, I could see myself doing the same thing.

I also tend to sing along with musical numbers :D Thanks for reading!

Imperial_Hammer: A little unbrupt in the beginning, I would have liked some continuity... even if it was like, a bright flash, or walking down the street and something hits me, or whatever.... the whole waking up thing is pretty "boom, here it is..."

Wellll . . .

This is just a knee-jerk defense of my story, mind you, but I think that anything other than a detailed pseudo-scientific explanation is "boom, here it is". And since the whole point of the story is Koba's eventual realization that he's not just an observer, I felt that trying to explain would be a distraction.

Jedi_BMK: I thought you did a good job realistically putting yourself into the SW universe.

Thank you! Although I have to say, realizing that I have no useful GFFA talents sucked :(

SarkaVrae: I liked that you turned around at the end but that you struggled to do so.

In real life, I would take even longer to turn around. (I'm a cold calculating line of asterisks. So sue me.)

VaderLVR64: Great story! I'm impressed.

Thank you!

10. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    ok, lazykbys, your responses were so humorous, i had to respond to them as well--i was quite literally laughing out loud at your dry humor! an author who can respond well to readers' comments is always nice to have around. :D

11. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Congratulations to the second place winner of the Gentlemen's Writing Guild Creativity Challenge for December 2004, lazykbs.

Here is your blue ribbon:

[image=http://royalguard2.alpinegarrison.com/marc/blue-ribbon-small.gif]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.