main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics A Look Back at Dark Horse Star Wars, Year By Year: Now Discussing 1998 [WARNING: IMAGE INTENSE]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 13, 2014.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They're good companions- the lack of Fett in the novel is noticeable but here it fills in that gap well.

2. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Even worse: 30.

Wasn't that definitely the intention? It sounds familiar, but then it's been a long time since I read any of those comics or concurrent reference stuff.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Damn, I've finally started to lose the ability to add up! :) More seriously, that just makes it worse.

4. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Shadows of the Empire dominated the Star Wars universe in '96. Really enjoyed the novel & Dark Horse comic tie-in, as well as the soundtrack, "Making of" book, and figures/vehicles. Also, SOTE was very significant in that, love it or hate it, it's the first time the "canon" story between ESB & ROTJ was told. Re: the DH mini-series, I liked how this filled in the gaps re: the novel; also enjoyed the great art by Killiam Plunkett. IIRC, it's one of the first times we see Vader depicted with red eye coverings (on his helmet).

At the time, I remember that this got a lot of publicity by Lflm. When the SOTE HC novel was released, I remember going into Border's books & seeing piles of this all over the place; IIRC, at that time there were more copies of SOTE published than any other SW novel.

This was also a great way to get SW back in the public eye again, which IMHO paved the way for the overall excellent theatrical Star Wars: Special Editions releases from January - March 1997.

purplerain and Iron_lord like this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I still feel they should have just gone with Kyle instead of creating a Han-clone with Dash- especially since they hadn't yet retconned him into a Force sensitive at the time.

We probably would have gotten a lot more on Kyle over the years had they done so (but, of course, without JK & JO, his popularity and story would have been very different).

I think the need for a new ship was a big factor (Outrider vs Moldy Crow- tough call, both are sweet looking), as was the degree of possessiveness the licensees seemed to have over certain characters (ie: Bantam/DHC not wanting to interfere with any plans LucasArts had for the character- something we saw again years later with Republic Commando).

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Never thought about that. Kyle was just created the year prior though which probably played into it.

SOTE and JK were probably under simultaneous development too.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With SOTE basically released in early/mid '96, the story was probably locked at least a year prior in order coordinate the various versions to ensure they'd all get released on time (well, the N64 game got delayed slightly but still hit a late '96 release), so DF was definitely done and released by then (heck, even the Mac version was out by then! ;)). DF had about a 2 year development cycle, and supposedly early plans for JK began before DF was released (Jk had a fall 97 release).

It is a slim window where they could have tuned things to fit, i suppose, but not an impossibility.

8. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Speaking of which, ANH special edition is full of things that first appeared in Shadows of the Empire. Shadows of the Empire also introduced Black Sun, which became important in the Darth Maul episodes of TCW.

9. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Good point - the Outrider & the Swoop (both in the expanded ANH Mos Eisley Spaceport sequences) were originally in SOTE.

purplerain likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also the ASP-7 droid.

I wouldn't have been surprised to see more SOTE elements added into ESB & ROTJ had their SE's not been add-ons to the original ANH-only SE plan and had been given more time to work on them.

purplerain likes this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Outrider in Echo Base would have been neat.

purplerain likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah I was really hoping to see that- replace a speeder station with a cut out portal looking into the adjacent docking bay with the Outrider or something.

The bounty hunter ships were also designed for SOTE, were they not? I know Decipher was a key factor in those.

And as we know, the Hounds Tooth design popped up a few times in TCW.

purplerain likes this.
  13. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    You'd think that if the Outrider appeared in one place, it would be there.

14. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008

You're just jealous because that "Han clone" kicked your boy, Boba Fett's a** in shadows of the empire.

[​IMG]

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, you mean like how Kyle Katarn did the same thing more than a year before Dash did?

[​IMG]

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  16. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008

And that's not counting The whuppin Jaden Korr laid on him. Gee it seems Boba Fett sure does get his A** kicked a lot

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    This thread has gone in a strange direction.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    January 1997
    Boba Fett: Twin Engines of Destruction / Cover
    Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith #4 (of 5): Pawns of a Sith Lord / Cover
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron #15: The Warrior Princess, part 3 (of 4) / Cover

February 1997
    Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith #5 (of 5): The Flight of Starbreaker 12 / Cover
    Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire / Cover
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron #1/2 / Cover
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron #16: The Warrior Princess, part 4 (of 4) / Cover

March 1997
    Classic Star Wars: Han Solo at Stars End #1 (of 3) / Cover
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron #17: Requiem for a Rogue, part 1 (of 4) / Cover

April 1997
    Classic Star Wars: Han Solo at Stars End #2 (of 3) / Cover
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron #18: Requiem for a Rogue, part 2 (of 4) / Cover

May 1997
    Classic Star Wars: Han Solo at Stars End #3 (of 3) / Cover
    Dark Force Rising #1 (of 6) / Cover
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron #19: Requiem for a Rogue, part 3 (of 4) / Cover

June 1997
    Dark Force Rising #2 (of 6) / Cover
    Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire #1 (of 5): Desperate Measures / Cover
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron #20: Requiem for a Rogue, part 4 (of 4) / Cover

July 1997
    Dark Force Rising #3 (of 6) / Cover
    Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire #2 (of 5): Forces in Collision / Cover

August 1997
    Boba Fett: Murder Most Foul / Cover
    Dark Force Rising #4 (of 6) / Cover
    Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire #3 (of 5): First Encounter / Cover
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron #21: In the Empire's Service, part 1 (of 4) / Cover

September 1997
    Dark Force Rising #5 (of 6) / Cover
    Droids: The Protocol Offensive / Cover
    Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire #4 (of 5): The Dogs of War / Cover
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron #22: In the Empire's Service, part 2 (of 4) / Cover

October 1997
    Dark Force Rising #6 (of 6) / Cover
    Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire #5 (of 5): End of an Empire / Cover
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron #23: In the Empire's Service, part 3 (of 4) / Cover

November 1997
    The Last Command #1 (of 6) / Cover
    Shadow Stalker / Cover
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron #24: In the Empire's Service, part 4 (of 4) / Cover
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron #25: The Making of Baron Fel / Cover

December 1997
    Boba Fett #1/2: Salvage / Cover
    Crimson Empire #0
    Crimson Empire #1 (of 6) / Cover
    The Last Command #2 (of 6) / Cover

And here we are in the year of the Special Editions- which is surprising because there's not much here connected to that.

It was really the 1996 material, now in collected forms no doubt, that were probably being pushed for that purpose, but as far as new material goes, the focus seems to be on more adaptations of "EU launchpad" content like TTT or Dark Forces (perhaps to draw in people watching the SE's for the first time and wanting what happens next as the hardcore fans did a few years prior with TTT novels and DE).

But it's really the 2.5 adaptations, X-Wing (in the midst of it's weaker arcs [though it would recover by year's end] and the average TOTJ prequels providing the bulk of new content until near the end of the year.

Twin Engines, being in SW galaxy Mag first for awhile before getting a comic reissue, was one of those kinda-legendary things- "Fett vs Kast! References to the Marvel Mandos (maybe they're canon afterall?)".

It was also kinda Andy Mangel's swan song as seemingly lead EU influence before KJA took over the reigns by this point in time- the "Chancellor of Star Wars University".

Dark Forces (and Dark Horse's Star Wars line) expands into graphic novellas here as well- something I'd have liked to have seen continue past the first three- even if with different characters.

[​IMG]

Classic Star Wars basically ends here with the reprint of the HSASE adaptation. A shame that didn't lead to new adaptations (even if retro-styled) of the other two HSA books, given the focus on adaptations in this era of DHC.

[​IMG]

Lui Kang, wins!

The Dark Force Rising and The Last Command covers didn't really do much for me (I particularly didn't care for TLC's- at least these first two; DFR's are better at times).

The interior art, however, was an improvement over HTTE. Kinda strange that the DFR covers went more stylized while the interior went more realistic. TLC kinda went slightly in between, I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, lest we forget...

[​IMG]

Though they didn't reach the Dorman-levels of the first few TOTJ arcs, the covers to Fall of the Sith Empire were an improvement over Golden Age's, IMO. Less busy but still keeping that Egyptian detailing and theme. They might not all have screamed Star Wars (though one or two of them did), they did strike a genre cord, IMO.

[​IMG]

The interior art, while not the best the series has offered, does have it's moments:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then we have the cover to Scoundrels, er the promotional image for Guardians of the Galaxy, er...

[​IMG]

Which gets trumped by this cover for the "real" Boba Fett issue of the year:

[​IMG]

Which didn't shy from being unpleasant:

[​IMG]

This year also saw a final Droids issue released- fittingly written partially by Daniels (alongside Ryder) and based on a story outline by Brian Daley (who couldn't finish it for obvious reasons). Actually kinda makes it a heavy year for material written by Daley between this and the ROTJ Radio Drama.

It also looks like this year's "WTF?" issue is Shadow Stalker, a SOTE tie-in released a year too late (not a bad thing to keep tying-into it, but the timing seems weird for a kind of random one-shot that would have made more sense released while the SOTE comic was more recent).

And then we get to close the year out with what I think is the last of the 90's covers done by Dave Dorman that rank among the all-time classic pieces of Star Wars imagery ever made- Crimson Empire #1.

[​IMG]
    "RELEASE THE DORMAN!"

[​IMG]

[face_hypnotized]=P~

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    (cont'd) and then the X-Wing report, giving us some key glimpses of characters from the novels, events from the Radio Drama, and, of course, The Fel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one I found interesting because of how closely an interior panel mirrors it (no doubt based off the same art):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one is close to becoming a classic image, as it's obviously meant to be the Imperial version of the Wedge cover to issue #1, but it's not Dorman so it's not quite there.

[​IMG]

And Fel ends up looking better in the interior art anyways:

[​IMG]

Derra IV (from the ESB Radio Drama) depicted:

[​IMG]

(it certainly was a year for the Radio Dramas to get their due, between the radioplay books, Derra IV here and the ROTJ Radio Drama being produced).

[​IMG]

Also, never let Hobbie fly.

[​IMG]

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    <3 Dave Dorman & Drew Struzan

21. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    1997 also had this --- a direct four-issue adaptation of the Special Editions. It ended up being collected in the Complete Saga omnibus, as the Marvel adaptation was included in the first A Long Time Ago one. I checked them out once; they're not great. They're as limited in scope and storytelling as all of the other four-issue film adaptations are. Give me six or death.

Here's a picture for good measure!

[​IMG]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  22. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I enjoyed "Han Solo at Star's End" as a companion to the novel. having the visuals really helped.

23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I didn't read the TOTJ prequels when they came out, but I have very clear memories of the cover art of the issues. Very striking and stayed in my memory even after all those years.

I know a lot of people liked the earlier X-wing comics, but personally I never really thought the series clicked until In the Empire's Service. For me, it's one of the most sudden changes from a merely-average title to a really gripping one.

I have some stuff to say about Crimson Empire, but it can wait until 1998, since that's when the bulk of the series is. Suffice to say for now that I fully agree with the CE #1 cover being one of the all-time greats.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    X-Wing was very roller coaster in quality, IMO. I agree it definitely hit its stride with ITES after a so-so opening arc, a very strong arc with TPA, an ok BT and the series lows of TWP & RFAR.

Ah, thanks. I probably came across them and mistook them for the other adaptations.

That's good though- a direct SE adaptation fits the year well.

(on a side note, damn was Jan 1997 a good month to be a SW fan!)

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Was 1991-1998 like the golden age of the EU, with 1999-2005 being the silver age? What are we at now?

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn and purplerain like this.