main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Look Into the Past - Vignette Series - 4/6 - AUTHOR'S NOTE *sigh*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jesina_Dreis, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anastasia_Fel

Anastasia_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    :_| That was so sad!!

Please say that her mom is Inyri, please???? :p

That was one of the best works you've ever done Jes, (or I'm being biast coz it's Wes) and it just blows me away each time I read this because they just keep on getting better and better

Great Job! :)

2. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    That was so sweet... pride is a double-edged sword...

and an interesting way of killing off Wes...

Yeah, I can't see him "dieing peacefully in his sleep".

Good job!

3. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    great job!

his daughter and a prankster :p he he he
    he died in action ;) :D

[:D]

me like it :D

Mag

4. SweetPea

SweetPea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 2004
    WAAAAHH!!! :_|

You can?t imagine how many times I heard the words, ?She?s her father?s daughter.?
    These words can have so many different meanings...good and bad...I like how you elaborated on that.

5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Jes': Damn, that was brilliant...

I liked the way you caught Wes, the range from practical jokes through stupid heroics and old-fashioned warrior skill to understated and unspoken insight and human meditation...

Hmm. Yeah, "profound" is the word for this one.

You ever thought of writing Chiss, btw? I'd say you'd do them pretty damn well... :cool:

- The Imperial Ewok

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, wow, excellent series, the one about Wedge has been my favorite, but how Wes died was perfect and the source of pride thing so poignant.

7. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    *sits speechless and cries softly*

8. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    :( Not Wes!! Noooooo!

:Weeps:

Wonderful story, Jes. The whole series was brilliant. Any chance of you doing any more soon?

9. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Sam
    As I said in the note at the beginning, yes, this was Wes/Inyri

Nothing wrong with being biased in favor of Wes...I am a bit too, I confess.

Red
    That was so sweet... pride is a double-edged sword...
    That idea just kinda jumped into my head...I hadn't thought of it before, and didn't intend to write it like that. Just kinda happened.

and an interesting way of killing off Wes...

Yeah, I can't see him "dieing peacefully in his sleep".

Again, the idea of him being dead just kinda appeared...and I could kill him off the way I did Wedge. I thought the way I did it fit with the story

Mag
    his daughter and a prankster he he he
    He would have to raise his daughter that way! You know it!

he died in action
    I couldn't kill him the way I killed Wedge...just couldn't do it. And I thought it worked well with what I was writing.

SweetPea
    These words can have so many different meanings...good and bad...I like how you elaborated on that.
    Took me forever to find a good way to bring it full circle

McEwok
    I liked the way you caught Wes, the range from practical jokes through stupid heroics and old-fashioned warrior skill
    This is how I really see him...THIS is what personality is, McEwok :p hehehe
    Jag's got nothing on Wes ;)

Yeah, "profound" is the word for this one.
    [face_blush] Thanks! I try...

Ish
    the one about Wedge has been my favorite
    I loved that one too...it marked a change for me in how I wrote these, I think

how Wes died was perfect and the source of pride thing so poignant.
    I have a very interesting way of looking at Wes...there's a line in one of the Wraith books that's something like:
    "he could only offer one of his other skills, the skill that might make him unfit for a normal life after this war was over"
    He's undoubtedly proud of helping people, but he really seems to hate what he has to do in order to help people...which is where this story stemmed from.

talkingbanana
    *offers tissues* Like I said, I almost cried while writing this. [:D]

Valin_Halcyon
    :Weeps:
    *offers tissues*

Glad you like the stories. There are plenty more to come, and hopefully there won't be two weeks in between new ones again.

~Jes~

10. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Upping this because it's already fallen to the third page and I refuse to believe that there aren't more Wes Janson fans around here.

Jes

11. SweetPea

SweetPea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 2004
    *staggers in*

[dying gasp] Need...postie...[/dying gasp]

*collapses*

12. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    the wessie one was sooooo sad!

13. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    I just read all these, J_D. You are an incredible writer! :D

You managed to get inside the head of some of my most very favoirite characters. And you've done each one justice. Welcome to the boards, and keep writing! :cool:

14. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    SweetPea
    [:D] At some point, there will be. I'm just wrapped up in the other two stories. Sometime soon, honest.

JagsGurl
    Wasn't it, though? I was almost crying when I was writing it.

Lank_Pavail
    Welcome! And thank you. I love a lot of the minor characters, and they all are so complex, so they're fun to work with. I'm glad you liked it.

~Jes~

15. Rowan_Jade

Rowan_Jade Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    Wow Jes! Just wow!

I?d find all the right words to say here but I?m kinda stumped as to what I could possible say that would do these justice.

Leia: So each time I hear my grandmother cry I try to imagine what her tears are for this time. But there are so many possibilities. There are so many wounds that will never heal, wounds that cause her such immeasurable pain that I cannot begin to fathom its intensity. So I don't think that her tears are for any one thing. I think they're for everything she's seen and done and felt, everything she hopes my brother and I and all of our generation will never be subjected to.

I would hope that all daughters and granddaughters could be as insightful about this. All of us women are strong enough to carry this burden that we do and yet we always have to cry to keep from it burdening us to the point of insanity.

I love the way you?ve put all of these in to a peaceful future. It?s good to know that all of the wars and killing is justified. Now if only we could justify what the supposedly ?for the people? government is doing to our sons and daughters and parents and friends against our will. But that?s a different tangent huh?

Tyco: He laughed bitterly. "Oh, yes. I knew too many people." His voice fell to a whisper. Then he said the words that finally drove everything home to me. "I was."

I don?t quite know what it was about this one little bit but that just put me over the edge. I guess hearing my dad tell me about what he went thru in Vietnam kinda hammered this part home for me. I guess for some reason I just don?t quite see cannon Tych as entirely human. He?s like all shiny and untouchable and nothing fazes him so when I read things like this and New Path I get jolted back to the fact that he is indeed a human and he does bleed and hurt just like the rest of us.

Mara: Mom was still sitting there where I?d left her. She had tears running down her cheeks and she looked at dad and said, ?I never dreamed it would be this hard.? He just held her hand with one of his and kept his other arm around me the whole time.

I guess you just fortold my future here. ?I never dreamed it would be this hard?. I dread the day that I have to explain things to my daughter and make it make sense to her with out hurting her and making her hate me all at once. Of course I won?t have to tell her that I killed people because some old crazy evil guy told me to but still a daunting task?

Wedge: I?d quote it but the whole thing was damn good. I can?t understand how you didn?t like this one. This one moved me the most. I got to sit with my dad just the same way right before he died and we had a talk like that too so I guess I really identified with this one. Don?t doubt yourself, it?s damn good!

Iella: ?The war. We were assigned to the same place, and he needed my help on something. To make another long story short, we nearly got killed together.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] Don?t know WHY this strikes me as terribly funny but it does!

Wes:

Yup, I?m speachless about that one?. :_| :_| :_|
    Again, you hit reeeeeeeealy close to home for me on this as so very many many many times I've been told that I am "my father's daughter" and it does mean so very very very much to me too.

So, outstanding job on these (not like EVERYTHING you write isn't outstanding but...) and I'm on board for the ride so keep em coming!

Ro

PS NO WAY THIS SHOULD BE ON PAGE 8!! COME ON PEOPLE!

16. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Ro -
    I would hope that all daughters and granddaughters could be as insightful about this. All of us women are strong enough to carry this burden that we do and yet we always have to cry to keep from it burdening us to the point of insanity.

Y'know, I'm going to tell my boyfriend that the next time I start crying for no reason :)
    Seriously, though, that's an interesting insight you've got there yourself. I think I'll be thinking of my stepmother a different way from now on.

I love the way you?ve put all of these in to a peaceful future. It?s good to know that all of the wars and killing is justified. Now if only we could justify what the supposedly ?for the people? government is doing to our sons and daughters and parents and friends against our will. But that?s a different tangent huh?

Yes, that's a different tangent...and a dangerous one to get into. But as to the peaceful future, yes, I felt they deserved some peace, at least for their children.

I guess for some reason I just don?t quite see cannon Tych as entirely human. He?s like all shiny and untouchable and nothing fazes him so when I read things like this and New Path I get jolted back to the fact that he is indeed a human and he does bleed and hurt just like the rest of us.

Tycho is so the "strong and silent" type...which is why I was drawn to writing him the way I did in "Shades of the Past." He's been through too much to be so, as you say, untoucable. He's got to crack sometime, and this was as good a time as any.

I dread the day that I have to explain things to my daughter and make it make sense to her with out hurting her and making her hate me all at once. Of course I won?t have to tell her that I killed people because some old crazy evil guy told me to but still a daunting task?

I think we all feel that way, to a certain extent

Wedge: I?d quote it but the whole thing was damn good. I can?t understand how you didn?t like this one. This one moved me the most. I got to sit with my dad just the same way right before he died and we had a talk like that too so I guess I really identified with this one. Don?t doubt yourself, it?s damn good!

It wasn't that I didn't like it. It was that it didn't turn out the way I planned on. I liked the end result, but it was so different from the others. I think that's because I was trying to get away from the others - I didn't want them to feel like carbon copies of each other, just with different names/places/events. I just didn't intend for it to be SO different. I wasn't sure how other people would like it.

laugh laugh Don?t know WHY this strikes me as terribly funny but it does!

It was intended to be...I really struggled with that one, and it was the first time I put any humor into one of these, so it was interesting.

Yup, I?m speachless about that one?. cry cry cry
    Again, you hit reeeeeeeealy close to home for me on this as so very many many many times I've been told that I am "my father's daughter" and it does mean so very very very much to me too.

I really liked that one...I had tears in my eyes while I was writing it. I rewrote a whole lot of it because it kept getting away from the "father's daughter" thing. By the end of it, though, I almost set it as its own vignette, titled "My Father's Daughter."

So, outstanding job on these (not like EVERYTHING you write isn't outstanding but...) and I'm on board for the ride so keep em coming!

There will be more soon...they're getting harder as I go, so it might be a while. But when I first started them, and put them up on ff.n, after more than six months there were just the Tycho and Leia ones, so the extra four on here are doing good!

~Jes~

17. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    ::reads:: ::cries a lot:: ::reads some more:: ::sniffles::

These were all great! And all so sad, but happy, but sad! But happy!

Lovely job. I can't even put in words really how much this touches me.

18. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    ... whoops. :oops: How'd I miss this?

Absolutely wonderful job with Wes's vignette, Jes. Loved it! The insights into what it takes for Wes to do the job he does... just wow. I liked this line in particular,

I remembered seeing my dad, at night sometimes when I couldn?t sleep, sitting in the chair in there and just staring at all his awards.

I could see this as I was reading it. So poignant.

Beautiful work as always. [face_love] I will look forward to seeing more in this series. :)

19. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Mirax-Jade - I love stuff that makes me cry, so I'm going to take that as a very high compliment. ;) I'm glad you like them. They get harder as they go along, which is why updates are so far between. The Wes one especially is probably my favorite, just because it made me cry when I was writing it.

K_A - I hadn't noticed that you hadn't read it. Ooops. [face_blush] Some of the stuff about Wes didn't even come into my mind til I was writing this...I actually think that writing that vignette has done wonders for my mental characterization of Wes. There will be more, eventually...I just need to find the time.

~Jes~

20. bkwormlisa

bkwormlisa Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2005
    I just want to say that I love these stories and I can't wait to read more of them. :D

21. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Jes, I'm speechless. Those were beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Leia's was pretty, Tycho's was sweet, Mara's was awe-inspiring(poor Ben and Mara), Wedge's made me cry, Iella's did too(great using Syal for one, and Myri for the other), Wes' was great.

Please say that Wes was married to Inyri.

I loved that you did all of them from the point of view of the person's child(or grandchild.) you should write more of them. Really.
    Myra
    Still speechless.

22. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Lisa - I honestly don't know when there will be more, but if there are, chances are that they won't be posted here. By all means, though, please PM me for the link to the site where my fics are being moved to.

Myra - Glad I made you cry :) As usual. :p Yes, Wes was married to Inyri ;)

[color=347C2C][b]ANNOUNCEMENT

First off, this is identical to messages I've posted elsewhere, so if you've already read it, you needn't bother reading on. :)

I am very sorry to do this, but I've made the decision to leave the Jedi Council boards indefinitely. I might return in a month or two, and it is my hope that I will; however, I may not return at all. I will not be if things continue here such that moderators can bait users on issues of honest concern to said users with nothing being done, no apology, no nothing. It's too bad that good moderators tend to be few and far between. This isn't the only problem I have with the JC; there are a number of issues I have, and most of you are aware of them.

I will still be checking my private messages on a regular basis, and I [i]will[/i] be finishing my stories. They will simply be posted elsewhere. I can't link to the site here as it contains material inappropriate for the Jedi Council forums. I will gladly provide the link upon request, however, via PM, email, or MSN. Take your pick. :) Please, please contact either myself or [link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=1136666]Myri_Antilles[/link] for the link. I'd hate to lose readers or the connections and friends I've made here as a result of the problems I have with certain... aspects of the administration here.

You guys are great. The reason I'm leaving has [i]nothing[/i] to do with any lack of community I feel on these boards. I want to thank each and every one of you for supporting my writing so strongly. I appreciate it more than you know.

[face_hugs] Jes [face_hugs] [/b][/color]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.