main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A look to the Future - Sport in 2008

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Kyptastic, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I thought it would be fun for Arenites to post what we predict would happen in sport over the next 12 months, then look back at the end of the year and see what occured and what didn't. There are some great sporting events coming up, such as the Olympics and Euro 2008, as well as the regular seasons of the great sports of the world.

My predictions

2. China will be the leading nation at the 2008 Olympics, with the US a close second. Australia will have a falling off, dropping to about the seventh or eigth nation on the tally

3. Italy will back up there World Cup with victory in Euro 2008

4. Roger Federer will equal, but not surpass Sampras' 14 grand slam titles. He will also win the French for the first time, beating Nadal in 5 sets

5. Cadel Evans will win the Tour de France

6. An International Horse will win the Melbourne Cup

7. The Australian Cricket team will surpass the record of 16 straight wins, whilst Twenty20 cricket will rise in prominence as 50 over cricket diminishes

9. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Don't agree with the Tennis pick. If Federer wins the French but not break Sampras's record that means he would have to not win 2 out of the other 3. I think he will equal Sampras's record but he will not win the French, if he wins the French he's got the record to himself.

10. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Anakin_Heartbreaker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I agree with you.

If Federer wins the French, he will almost certainly break the record. He is still the standout at the other three slams. Five straight Wimbledons, four straight US Opens, and three out of four Australian Opens...he is certainly the player in all slams outside the French.

11. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Steroids and HGH and other ways to cheat will become so prevalent that sports altogether will be shut down while the lawyers hash out the (accepted) ways to cheat. :eek:

The Boston area will win 3 professional championships this year (football, basketball, baseball) Patriots, Celtics, and Red Sox. :_|

The leagues will impose a rule that the same team can no longer maintain its dynasty status so as to guarantee parity and therefore the championship team will lose up to 5 players to free agency. [face_mischief]

Other Boston area teams will be also caught using video cameras to gain an advantage over their opponent. :rolleyes:

Cleveland will decide to sell it's franchises to the highest bidder so that they don't have to suffer through endless disappointing seasons. [face_worried]

Due to the above, DarthIntegral will move to Boston. :p

Tiger Woods will once again be the player of the year in Golf. [face_talk_hand]

12. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Yeah, I don't know if he'll sweep this year, but I'm pretty confidant that he can win the French Open in '08.

13. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Barry Bonds will take his well deserved place in a cell next to Michael Vick for the duration. During this time, they will both learn the pleasures of man love and move to Iowa to raise sheep together.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Sheep fighting?

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Headlines I really want to see in sports in the early going of 2008:

Ohio State upends LSU, wins BCS title.

Favre retires after leading Pack over Patriots in Super Bowl.

Indians ink ace Sabathia to long term contract.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.