main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Love Story in Red - Luke and Mara vignette series

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadowlurker

Shadowlurker Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2004
    Loved them all! Luke is still Luke and Mara is...well she's Mara! Great work!

2. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    this was so Mara! I do so love these! I wish you would have them become grandparents now. That would be just as sweet!

3. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    This had so many good parts -- The revelation that Ben is a hottie with the ladies; that Mara played matchmaker; her insistence that the flowers are making her eyes tear up; his dislike of the in-laws. Mara was in perfect character! Great job.

4. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I?ve always loved Megira, but seeing her reduce my son to a weeping mass of thwarted male has done my heart good.

LOL! *cracks up*

5. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Poor Mara suffering such terrible allergies. [face_laugh] And her need for the bar at the thought of her new in-laws. I bet those are going to be some very interesting social gatherings! 8-}

6. Marsa

Marsa Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2004
    I missed these last two!!

They were wonderful of course! I hope they'll be more!

I loved that last line: Where's the bar!

:D ~M

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Unlocking and upping it so the author can add more. :)

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Everybody Does It
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Luke, Mara, Ben
    Time: NJO
    Summary: Luke Skywalker faces his most terrifying challenge yet.

Everyone Does It

Luke Skywalker had faced many difficult tasks in his life. He had battled his father and almost lost his life for having faith in him. He had looked into the abyss of the Dark Side and emerged from it; perhaps he was not unscathed but he was wiser than he had been before.

But the thought of this ? well it was enough to make his eyes water and his hands shake in surrender.

Mara stood in the doorway, being of no help at all. He shot her a puzzled glance because she was usually the first one to throw herself into the fray. But she had taken a decidedly ?hands off? attitude toward this situation and didn?t seem inclined to change her mind.

Very well then, he would do this by himself.

He was a Jedi Master, liberator of a thousand worlds, the man who had defeated the last of the Sith.

Surely he could handle this.

He straightened his shoulders, mentally preparing himself for what he had to do next. I can do this, he repeated mentally. There is no try, he reminded himself.

So Luke Skywalker, the son of Darth Vader, took a deep breath and prepared to face the unknown.

Ben merely stared up at him with a toothless smile and wriggled enthusiastically on the mat. He lifted his tiny feet and popped them into his mouth with a satisfied grunt. He gnawed on them for a few moments with a soft humming noise of gratification.

His son looked so content that Luke wondered for a moment if he ought to give chewing on his own toes a try. Then he grimaced, realizing that his own feet were definitely less appetizing than Ben?s.

A look over his shoulder confirmed the challenge in Mara?s eyes. ?What are you waiting for, Skywalker??

?I don?t think he?s done,? Luke replied solemnly.

?Really?? One red eyebrow arched. ?I think he was done long ago and I also think you?re just scared.?

?I?m not scared,? he argued. ?I?m cautious.?

?That would be a first,? she smirked and gave an elegant shrug of her shoulders. ?But I would think a farmboy would be a little less squeamish about a baby?s poopy diaper.?

Luke leaned down and gave an experimental sniff. He pulled away quickly with a cough. ?What do you feed this kid??

?The usual stuff,? she replied. ?Aren?t you glad we started him on solids??

He looked at her mournfully. ?And I have to do this because??

?You have to do this because we?ve been away from our son for months now and we need to do all the things that parents do for their children so he knows who we are. And changing dirty diapers is one of them.?

He considered her answer for a long while. ?So all parents do this??

?Every single one of them, unless of course they?re rich and can hire a nanny to do the dirty work for them,? she replied.

A hopeful look crossed Luke?s face but she was already shaking her head before he could say a word.

?Not happening, farmboy.?

His shoulders slumped in defeat and Ben continued to coo happily while trying to stuff his entire foot into his small mouth. He began to wail when his efforts failed.

?You better get going there, Skywalker, or he?s going to get even more upset,? Mara said. ?And if he starts wiggling too much it?ll end up all over the place.?

Luke grimaced and pulled back one side of the diaper. Ben stopped crying and grinned, seeming to understand that the real fun would start now. He tried to twist over on to his stomach and then protested when his father held him gently but firmly in place.

Big blue eyes stared up at Luke as if asking how he could betray his own son. Ben?s bottom lip quivered and tears began welling up in his eyes once more. Feeling guilty, Luke moved his hand and Ben promptly flipped over on his stomach, opening the other side of his diaper and spreading the mess as he went.

Several profane words slipped past Luke?s lips, making him blush as he considered the meaning of those Huttese words. Huttes

9. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    :eek: [face_laugh]

How have I missed these earlier? They're so good! All of them! :D I love the way you write Luke and Mara, VaderLVR. And that newest one -- [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Oh, it's so good. The Dark Side of parenting... [face_devil] ;)

Excellent job! :) Will there be more? [face_praying]

10. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Luke stared at his son, who turned over again and began reaching into the odorous mess with both hands, dragging a hearty groan from his father.

Two pairs of blue eyes locked. ?You did that on purpose,? Luke accused.

Ben merely blew a big, wet raspberry and wriggled some more.

I had lost hope you'd ever do more of these! Loved it! Luke changing a diaper. Now that's something I would pay to see! [face_laugh]

11. Jedi_Chani

Jedi_Chani Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2004
    Ugh! Poopy diapers! No wonder Luke is nervous! ;)

Loved it! A great series!

12. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    A look over his shoulder confirmed the challenge in Mara?s eyes. ?What are you waiting for, Skywalker??

?I don?t think he?s done,? Luke replied solemnly.

LOL! My little brother is eighteen years my junior, and my sister's children are only three and four, so I have some experience in this area despite not having children of my own - and that's my excuse every time. :D :p

Luke stared at his son, who turned over again and began reaching into the odorous mess with both hands, dragging a hearty groan from his father.

*giggles madly* My nephew did that exact thing at least once that I know of. Thank heaven I wasn't there to see it. :p

Very nicely done! I enjoyed this one a lot. :D

13. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Knight_Aragorn As the mother of four and the aunt of more than I care to count, I've got vast experience in changing diapers. So, I thought let's throw Luke in there and see how he does! I have at least one more planned where Luke and Mara are baby-sitting a grandchild. We'll see how that goes. THere will probably be more, all on this thread as my muse speaks. Sometimes she's very tight-lipped!

AnakinsHeir You think he'd do a little demo for us? Thanks for reading.

Jedi_Chani Well, dirty diapers are of the Dark Side you know! Thank you for reading.

Gabri_Jade It's always a good excuse, isn't it? Of course, it's been 21 years since I could say the same. Soon I'll be able to say I'm too old... Thanks for reading.

14. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Those last two vigs were wonderful, VaderLVR! I love your take on L/M Skywalker family-ness. [face_love] Please write more? :D

15. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    Ooh, I just found these and read through them all. So here's my reply to the earlier ones: [face_laugh] [face_love] That pretty much sums it up. ;)

Well, I've never had to change a diaper other than the occasional one while baby-sitting, and they were all older babies. Sounds like I'm in for quite the surprise someday in the (far) future. [face_worried] Hopefully I'll fare better than Luke! :p

elegant shrug

I loved this phrase so much I had to mention it. @};-

I'd like to put in all the lines I liked, but really, that'd practically be the entire story. :D I guess I'll have to settle for a "Great job, VaderLVR64!" ;)

16. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Glad to see this series revived! Memories of diaper-changing are two decades old for me, too. This was great. Apparently 'Uncle Luke' managed to leave when this chore came up for Leia's kids.

17. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    ::reads these like mad::

Oh my gosh! These are like...candy! So good! Makes you want more!! ::Loves:: Awesome job!

18. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    JediTrace I never know when a Luke/Mara viggie will hit! :D

Leia Wow, thanks! [:D]

Jedi-2B That's the luxury of being an uncle, you can escape diaper duty!

Mirax-Jade Thank you, I'm so glad you liked them!

19. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I just found this thread VaderLVR64. What beautiful L/M vignettes. They are wonderful stories!

I laughed when Mara said: I understand why Luke is so tired, its hard work watching your wife give birth.

That was something I could imagine Mara saying. [face_laugh] That viggie reminded me of the birth of my sons. :)

Great job!

AG88

20. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Great viggies, Vader.

Ben's wedding especially brought tears to my eyes.

"You did that on purpose."

[face_laugh] I love that line. I felt that exact way when changing my son's first dirty diaper.

Great writing, as always. =D=

21. DreamOfKenobi

DreamOfKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2004
    How could I miss a post on this one? This is one of my favorite series! Loved the image of Luke being intimidated by one dirty diaper. [face_laugh]

22. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    ?Hey! You can?t leave me here all by myself!? Luke called out.

She looked back and grinned. ?Sure I can, farmboy!? She blew Ben a kiss and he giggled as he kicked his feet in the mess. ?Give daddy a run for his credits.?

Two pairs of blue eyes locked. ?You did that on purpose,? Luke accused.

Ben merely blew a big, wet raspberry and wriggled some more.

That's it, Mara! Show the Jedi Master that dirty diapers happen to all of us! :D

Loved it.

23. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    I just read all this... took me a few hours... but it was worth it!

I love how you write both of them and their personalities!

I hope you keep this up!

24. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    academygrad88 Let's just say that my hubby was less than sympathetic when I was having our children! [face_laugh]

JediMaster_Jen Who can't forget that first diaper! :eek: Thanks you for reading.

DreamOfKenobi Nothing like a dirty diaper to make a big, bad Jedi Master break out in a cold sweat!

LukesTheMan Somehow I see Mara insisting that Luke take his share of the dirty diapers! :D

RedGold Thank you! I enjoy your work so much that I'm flattered you liked these. :)

25. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: In This Thing Together
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Luke, Mara
    Genre: vignette
    Summary: Babies are not the most cooperative creatures in the galaxy.
    Notes: Another L/M vignette.

In This Thing Together

?He?s as loud as his father,? Luke said, his eyes clenched shut against the din.

?What?? Mara shouted.

He is as loud as your son, Luke sent, giving up on conventional means of communication.

Mara crossed her arms over her chest and glared at him. So now he?s my son?

That?s not from my side of the family, I assure you, Luke replied with a smile.

Mara marched over and plucked the screaming infant from his arms. ?You?re just doing it wrong, Skywalker,? she muttered as she sought to soothe her grandson. ?He?s just a clumsy old farmboy, isn?t he?? she cooed to the baby. ?Yes he is.? She nuzzled the tiny neck and made silly noises.

Luke snorted at the sugary voice coming from his wife. ?You?ve changed,? he observed with a grin. ?Sorta gone all soft and gooey on me.?

She scowled at him as she jiggled the baby in her arms. ?The day I go soft, Skywalker, is the day they light the flame on my pyre.?

The tiny baby boy then gave his opinion of the conversation with a loud wail that made his grandparents wince.

?I see why Ben and Megira wanted a night out by themselves,? Luke shouted above the din.

?What?? Mara yelled back.

Is he this loud all the time? Luke asked with concern.

If Megira isn?t exaggerating, and I don?t think she is, then the answer is yes.

They stared at each other in consternation. Both had the same ?Now what?? expression on their faces.

Mara put her grandson up on her shoulder and tried to send soothing waves to him through the Force. He merely stiffened up his little body and screamed louder. She didn?t give up in her efforts, though, and continued to send him gentle, soothing emotions.

Finally, either out of exhaustion or because her methods worked, the little one began to relax against her. A series of tired hiccups announced his surrender, and with a sigh of contentment, he fell asleep on her shoulder.

With a groan of relief, Mara tiptoed down the hallway to place him in the small crib that her son had dropped off earlier that day. Bright blue eyes flew open the moment she placed him gently on the mattress. Immediately his bottom lip began to quiver and tears filled his blue eyes.

By all the gods! And then Mara let loose with a stream of curses that would have made any spacer blush.

Careful, Mara, he?ll hear you, Luke cautioned, unable to completely stifle his own grin.

Picking up the baby again, she turned to her husband with an evil smile. He immediately began to back away, knowing that look boded nothing good for him. ?Now, Mara,? he tried to soothe.

Her green eyes narrowed, she kept slinking his way. Shaking her head she came to a stop just a few centimeters away from him.

?I just remembered,? she said.

?Just remembered what?? Luke asked suspiciously.

?I have a previous engagement,? Mara answered, holding out their grandson.

Now Luke scowled at her. ?You never mentioned it before,? he said doubtfully.

?That?s because I forgot.? Mara looked quite smug.

?You don?t forget,? he reminded her.

Mara shrugged. ?Sometimes even I forget things.?

?I don?t believe you,? he told her.

?Are you saying that I?d lie?? She managed to sound affronted and angry and sneaky all at the same time.

?Uh, no,? he said as he looked about desperately for an escape. Shavit! There was never a galactic crisis in sight when you needed one.

Triumphantly she placed the baby in his arms. ?Well, I?ll be off then. Have fun with him. I?m sure you two will have a lot to talk about.?

The wails began in earnest once more. Mara slipped out the door before Luke could even say her name, not that she could have heard him.

Looking into his grandson?s red face, he felt an overwhelming desire to cry right along with him. He sank down into a chair and propped t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.