main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Mace Windu lightsaber question

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by _Xanatos_, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    Okay the newest one I have seen in the stores is in a blue casing but it says TPM, I am confused because in TPM his lightsaber was "blue" according to the action figure made, could anyone explain this, my guess is it was a thing they(Hasbro) did not notice.

2. darcphoenyx

darcphoenyx Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    The explanation is actually pretty simple, the colors of the sabers on the 3 3/4" toys don't matter.

For EpI and POTJ toys Hasbro made up the lightsaber colors for all the Jedi Council member toys they made. There were yellow, purple, dark red, all sorts of colors back then. Then AOTC came out and Lucas decided that they all used blue or green sabers (except Mace).

The Mace saber currently on the shelves is based on the saber he had on his belt in TPM (the half-Maul saber)...but uses the AOTC purple for it's blade. Since we never saw him ignite it in TPM, you can just consider the old Action Figure incorrect, just like the other Jedi Council members.

3. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Actually, the saber we have in stores now is INCORRECT. It was NOT the saber Sam Jackson wore during filming, nor is it the one the earlier action figures came with (itself a miniature version of the ACTUAL filming prop).
    But, while D&K was putting together the Episode I Visual Dictionary, some BONEHEAD at the company decided to photoshop the picture of Sam Jackson, replacing his REAL TPM saber with the "bastardized Maul" saber seen in the book. This error was later compounded by Hasbro when they issued a Mace Windu 12" doll which also had the "bastardized Maul" saber as its weapon.
    So, when it came time to finally release that saber as an electronic toy, instead of releasing it as, oh, say, Plo Koon's Saber, or Luminara Unduli's saber, they decided to give it a purple blade and call it a Mace Windu saber, on the theory that this would increase its popularity. Which, admittedly, it has.

4. Legolas_Greenleaf_

Legolas_Greenleaf_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 10, 2002
    The saber Mace had in TPM was not, I repeat not his saber. This question has been answwered on starwars.com. It was Eeth Koth's.

5. darcphoenyx

darcphoenyx Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Geez, I knew you saber nerds were gonna come in here and say that. ;) I would've edited, but the damage has been done. [face_plain]

Anyway, the history of the "bastardized Maul" aside, his question was on blade color to begin with, not the saber itself. Given Hasbro's legendary accuracy, I think arguing over who's saber that really was is kinda pointless.

The same saber has reappeared in the wrong hands again in a few places for AOTC stuff, one of them being the Anakin Unleashed figure. I think it's safe to say the "bastardized Maul" was quite a popular style back in the prequel era. ;)

6. Kung-Fu-Yoda

Kung-Fu-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    "The saber Mace had in TPM was not, I repeat not his saber. This question has been answwered on starwars.com. It was Eeth Koth's."

Do you think u could post a link?

~'KFY`~

7. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Originally posted by Legolas_Greenleaf:
    The saber Mace had in TPM was not, I repeat not his saber. This question has been answwered on starwars.com. It was Eeth Koth's.

*SIGH!*
    Legolas, listen. Your info is an EU retcon designed to attempt a rectification of a mistake made by D&K. The simple fact of the matter is that IN THE REAL WORLD, ON SET, Samuel L. Jackson carried a particular saber. That saber is clearly visible on his belt in a rather famous ad campaign for Pepsi Cola. The same saber that was later reused in Episode II as Kit Fisto's saber.
    The EU explanation as to why he had that saber is irrelevant.
    The Windu/Fisto/Pepsi saber IS the TPM Windu saber and none other.
    Any retconning done after the fact in the EU comics and the card game is beside the point. In canon, IE in the movies themselves, that was the saber he was wearing. Thus, that was Master Windu's saber. The character of Eeth Koth, if he even WORE a saber in TPM, was in all likelihood wearing a completely different one.

8. Kung-Fu-Yoda

Kung-Fu-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    That sabre was also used as Plo Koons

EDIT: Also, if you'll notice, Adi's sabre from episode 1 is the same as Shakk Ti's sabre from episode 2, so as far as Im concerened, this isnt anything that EU can solve, it's just a simple case of Lucas and co. reusing props, and having no original ideas.

~`KFY`~

9. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Guys, also be sure to check out Kit Fisto's lightsaber. You probably won't be surprised as to whose it is. ;)

I have the electronic Mace Windu saber. It's not as bright as any of the other ones, but it is really cool in its own way.

10. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    This is so dang confusing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.