main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before the Saga A maiden, turned to stone (Answer to the 10th OC Dueling Challenge.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Pandora, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Removed for personal reasons.

2. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    That was amazing. Your descriptive skills are unique, haunting and entrancing. Every image is seared into the brain. The characterization draws the reader into the soul of this woman, to the real and unpolished core of her, and what has happened to her. Beautiful and powerful. Very, very well done.

3. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Wow. That was really powerful, an amazing story and very unique.

Poor woman. It would be so terrible to have to live with all those memories, and in silence.

Very good writing.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Most definitely causes a shiver. Very well written Pandora.

5. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Well done Pandora.=D=

I loved this style. Very original.

I couldn't help but feel for the character.

I?m lying on the cave floor, waiting to be shaken with enlightenment.

I kind of am hoping she gets that. Gosh, to have to remember all that she does.

Great entry.

6. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    LuvEwan: Thanks! I am flattered (and blushing) at your very kind review. I'm glad that it had such an impact on you.

the_wandering_shadow: Thanks for responding! It is hard for the narrator to live with her memories, but I think, in a way, she would find it harder still to actually speak of them.

Healer_Leona: Thanks! You know, I wrote this story, and it scares me, more so than anything with zombies or other monsters.

Lola64: Thanks for reading. I'm glad you liked the style--I wasn't sure how it would come across. It's very (I think) fragmented and broken. I don't know if the narrator will find enlightenment, but perhaps, by actually thinking about all this, she might make her memories less powerful.

7. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Very haunting. You have such an original and powerful style. :)

8. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Thanks, Lovely-in-Orange.

9. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Pandora,
    I always find the way you describe the harsh gritty side of the Galaxy to be absolutely intoxicating. Your female characters are fabulous.

There were so many images I loved in this piece, but this was fabulous:
    ...as though she had crawled out of a giant egg

10. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Fantastic response!!! =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

11. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Oqidaun: Thanks! Yes, this is quite gritty. No Jedi or Queens in this world. And I'm flattered that you like my female characters-- Doesn't matter what I write, it's always girly.

Meredith_Kenobi: Thanks for reading!

12. ceridwen1977

ceridwen1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    I loved your writing style how the past weaved in and out of her mind like that because I guess if you are all day alone in a cave time would cease to have no meaning, it really gave me that sense.

And the characters really came alive, I really wondered how she had come to be in that place, why she felt how she did. It asks many difficult questions

=D=

13. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Thanks, ceridwen1977.

If the characters came alive for you, then I must have done something right. I do think of this story as a question, or a bunch of questions. But there isn't an answer.

It also (I'm getting philosophical today) brings to mind the Nietzsche quote, that He who gazes long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze also into him. That's not the exact quote, but close enough.

Sometimes, it is more frightening than anything else to be trapped with yourself.

14. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    Great work. I enjoyed her mind's wanderings and the bleak descriptions of the characters she had met in her life. A very dark soul, this one. Very effective.

15. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Woa! A very haunting look into this young woman's mind Pandora26, the descriptions as seen through the thoughts of a tortured soul, amazing. *shakes head in admirable disbelief*
    I can't even imagine how emotionally draining it is to put yourself in a "place" to write this....
    Excellente'
    =D= =D= =D=

16. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    Perhaps that is why I know how to be alone.

:eek: Wow! I can relate to her. That's all I'm saying about that.

=D= Great job! Deep and involved, and stunning!

17. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    PadwanKayla: Thanks for reading!

corellian_ale: Thanks. Yes, this wasn't exactly fun to write. I hadn't originally meant for it to be quite so dark. It was going to be about the contrast between the narrator and her mother--and how she had turned out so differently. But then I started seriously considering how a fifteen year old girl would get away from a place like Nar Shaddaa, and what options she would have-- And I saw the answer. Too clearly.

BrentusofGath: Thanks!

18. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Excellent work. The words came to life, and your descriptive skills are to be envied. :) Bravo. =D=

19. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Thanks, Princess_Arulmozhi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.