main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Man Behind the Mask - (Vader/OFC, Veers, Tarkin, +more) Chapter 2 July 16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by darksideyesplease, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    Title: A Man Behind the Mask
    Author: darksideyesplease
    Characters: Darth Vader, General Veers, Original Female Character, Governor Tarkin, plus more.
    Genre: Drama, Angst, perhaps some action & romance to boot.
    TimeFrame: Pre-ANH
    Notes/Summary: Vader is forced to deal with conflicting emotions about his former self.

A Man Behind the Mask

Chapter 1

Runaway Bride

Darth Vader, a man cloaked by his dark armor and his even darker persona stood quietly, looking out the view port of his star destroyer. He had been there for what seemed like hours. The only noise was that of his breathing mechanism bringing the much needed oxygen to his burnt lungs, or what was left of them.

The crew of his ship kept busy, and did their best not to disturb him. A solemn Darth Vader was better than the order barking one.

?General,? A crewmen called out who was sitting at a terminal. ?You might want to have a look at this.?

General Veers strode over to the terminal. He glared at Vader for a moment and noticed he was still preoccupied with empty space.

?What is it?? Veers quickly asked.

?The ship that Governor Tarkin reported to us not two standard days ago.? He pointed to the screen, showing Veers. ?There it is General.?

?They were able to elude Governor Tarkin?s fleet, but they will not escape us. When we are in range? destroy them.? Veers commanded.

General Veers tucked his arms behind his back and began to walk away, but stopped immediately when he heard the breaths of Darth Vader eerily closer to him now.

?What have you discovered, General?? Vader?s menacing voice boomed through his mask.

Veers turned sharply to his heel, facing the dark clad man who stood several inches taller than himself. ?Just a ship that has entered our sector. They were fleeing General Tarkin?s fleet but it seems they have come out of hyperspace.?

?And the orders?? Vader asked.

?They are to be destroyed, Lord Vader.? Veers answered without hesitation.

Veers had noted quite long ago that it was best to remain confident when answering Darth Vader?s questions. Any hint of fear or hesitation would be sensed and would not bode will for the one guilty.

?By your command or Tarkin?s?? Vader continued his line of questioning.

?Governor Tarkin?s men simply notified us of the situation and to keep an eye out.? Veers shot back, as confidently as Vader?s question.

?Then it is by your command that they are to be destroyed then; am I correct, General??

Veers nodded astutely and Vader?s deep breaths were the only thing to break the silence for several seconds.

?It was my assumption that you did not wish to be disturbed, so I took it upon myself?? Veers tried to explain but was quickly cut off by Vader.

?When I wish something, everyone on board shall know. There is no need for assumptions here. Have the tractor-beam fired up and have the men set their weapons for stun.? Vader said, changing the original order.

?Very well, Sir.? Veers stood straight and rigid as Vader stepped past him and disappeared deep into the corridors of the star destroyer.

To General Veers? surprise the runaway ship made no last ditch efforts to flee the range of the tractor-beam. In fact, it had been the easiest abduction, perhaps in the history of the Empire.

Veers stared at the ship for a moment as storm troopers had completely encircled the commandeered spacecraft. He pointed to two of finest troops and they approached the ship and boarded.

There was a moment of silence as Veers watched on intently. He expected the sound of blaster shots but alas, it never came. Instead, the two troops clad in their white armor walked out of the ship and motioned towards the General.

Veers scowled and briskly walked towards them. ?What did you find??

?A man and a woman, Sir.? One troop answered.

?The man is dead, the woman is nearly.? The other finished.

Veers walked past them, as to scoff at them, and boarded the ship himself. He walke

2. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    An excellent beginning! :D

?It was my assumption that you did not wish to be disturbed, so I took it upon myself?? Veers tried to explain but was quickly cut off by Vader.

?When I wish something, everyone on board shall know. There is no need for assumptions here. Have the tractor-beam fired up and have the men set their weapons for stun.? Vader said, changing the original order.

Now that had to be humiliating. :p

?The girl, she was? If you will excuse my tongue, Sir. She was no more than slave scum.? Veers answered.

Uh-oh! Veers isn't exactly having his best day, is he? :oops:

Very curious to learn more about the young woman. They DO have a lot in common, and I have the feeling her presence will impact Vader more than he may think.

Looking forward to more. :D

3. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Note: Second post today. Hope ya'll enjoy.

Chapter 1
    Part 2

Give me death

Anja felt the coolness of water splashing against her skin. The feeling was very dull, barely enough to wake her. She thought she may be dreaming, not thinking twice about opening her eyes.

Distant voices were heard. She now tried to open her eyes and couldn?t find the energy to do so. She began to panic, immediately. Trying to remember where she was and how she got there became a problem.

The last thing she could remember was she was getting married. She should be married.

On the edge of the forest on her home planet, she was to be married in secret. Secret to a man she had never imagined ending up with. He was normal. Not just normal, he was rich and his family had immediate connections within the Empire itself.

She wasn?t normal. She had been a slave her entire life. Anja had been born into it. For the most part she had never heard of the Republic. Her entire life she had floated around the Outer Rim territories, with her mother. Before she could understand what her life was, she was sold to another slaver. At the age of three, she had no mother. The Empire had taken complete control of the Republic and she was a slave of the Empire.

But she did meet that boy, who in return, was born into what amounted to royalty. They had met when they were both fifteen. It was chance. But the second time they met was not by chance.

She could see that he was different from all the others who looked at her like dirt. She worked right along with other species, and the Imperial employee?s would treat her as if she was one of the foreign species. She was treated just as alien as they were.

But he saw something in her and it did not take long before she did have those daydreams of getting away from this life she had never been given a choice about. He could have walked away at anytime. After their first kiss; after their first everything. But he didn?t.

He could have handed her over to save his own life, but he didn?t. It was all coming back to Anja now. She remembered his pain, and it seemed to course through her own body in the form of grief. The images of him in so much pain, raced through her mind. Oh how much had her love, suffered. She would gladly have taken all of it for him, just so he would not have to be in agony. She could take it. She had been in agony her entire life. That was until she had met him. Anja had become a dreamer, but as the realizations washed over her anguish body and she realized that dream was over.

Mikkal had died soon after they had gone into hyperspace. For one moment, she was stronger than she had ever been in a single moment. The blood loss was significant immediately. But he kept shielding her, and she helped him leap aboard the ship, even after he had told her to leave without him.

Anja had come to the realization, she knew nothing of flying a space craft, and when hyperspace ended and she saw no systems near and no other craft near. She had given up on life.

She had taken to Mikkal?s neck and had conceded a long painful death. And she slept. She slept until she would die and be with Mikkal in a far less cruel place.

Now she had been awoken, her eyelids still not giving way. The voices became louder, no longer at a distance, and the water became cooler.

In face, she was freezing now. Shivering, as dried blood flaked away with the cold bath she was receiving.

?Ah, she?s awake now.? One man said with a laugh.

?I told you, if she was alive, that would surely wake her.? The other snickered.

?What should we do with her now??

?Leave her naked, or go get her some food.?

?Eh, I say why not both.?

?Or better yet, let?s leave her here this way, and go get something to eat ourselves. Then we?ll come back and give her a sampling later on, and toss her back in his cell.?

No answer was required as the two troops exited, leaving her all alone.

Her eyelids finally peeled open and all that

4. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    Poor Anja. After all she's been through, to be treated like that by those men. :mad: Wonder what Vader will have to say about it? ;)

Excellent update! =D=

5. Darth-Buddy

Darth-Buddy Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Great start!=D= Please add me to the PM list.

6. HandmaidenVeme

HandmaidenVeme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I hope those two enjoy their meal especially since it will be their last!!!

Please add me to your PM list!!! It's been a while, glad you're back!

7. palpyisgod2

palpyisgod2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2005
    wow! this looks really good. can you add me to the pm list please? also, how often can we expect posts?

8. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Gina - Veers really did mess up didn't he. Well there will be more inner conflicts between the Empire, I can assure you.

Darth-Buddy - Thanks, I can surely PM you when I update.

HandmaidenVeme - Yeah, Vader might just have a word for them. And i'll surely PM you when I update.

palpyisgod2 - Thanks for reading. I'm thinking once a week for updates. Don't want to overdue it, but I might actually get another one up today.

I don't expect this to be an extra long story, but should be good, I hope.

PM List
    Darth-Buddy
    HandmaidenVeme
    palpyisgod2

9. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    A Man Behind the Mask

Chapter 2
    Obey thy Officer

Two storm troopers stood with helmets in hand and their heads hanging slightly down as Darth Vader paced before them; his breaths cascading back, and forth, while his prosthetic feet clanked on the durasteel flooring.

?I?ve given you sufficient time to come up with an answer for me.? Vader?s voice talked over a breath and stopped in front of the men staring; although neither man knew who he was staring at, at any one time.

?Thing is, Lord Vader.? One of the men began.

Vader took a step forward, inching ever so close to the troop. As he did so, the storm trooper seemed to flinch as he stopped talking.

?Yes?? Vader urged him to continue.

?It?s just that you were really specific how to do the job.? He ultimately replied.

Vader?s body tilted forward, relieving the troop some more space. Vader seemed to think about the answer, or was he just pondering a punishment. Finally Vader?s mask came in front of the troops face once again, in an even more intimidating manner.

?When any superior officer gives you a job to do, it is expected that you take the utmost care at all times, no matter what conflict it might seem to you.? Vader instructed.

?We understand that, my Lord. We got sloppy and stupid.?

Vader looked away, thinking of a young slave suffering from the elements around them. He remembered how hot those nights were on Tatoonie. All he had was a half way broken fan to blow the hot air around. Then, when the temperature dropped later in the night, there was no way to stay warm.

What these two men had done, was it any worse than anything he had done in this past. Alas yet; he was Darth Vader. Who was privileged to take the law in his own hands and mend it the way he saw fit. These two men were to take orders from him, because he in fact, was Darth Vader. Yet, within their self called sloppiness and stupidity, they not only touched a cord with the Sith Lord that had not been strung in years, but they disobeyed a commanding officer. More importantly, him.

?Stupidity is something I have little patience for, but it does exist.? Vader spoke.

The men sighed a happy relief and straightened up in front of Vader a bit more confident.

?However,? Vader pointed out, as he began to pace before them again, his arms neatly tucked behind his back. ?Sloppiness is something I have absolutely no patience for. It leads to futility. Which in my Empire; is punishable.?

The two men looked at each other. Looking for the words to get themselves out of this fix. They had done everything together since joining the Empire. They were best friends. Darth Vader was fixed on making sure that they did one last thing together too.

?Lord Vader, if I may?? One troop said, before suddenly stopping.

He felt his esophagus close up. He was unable to breath. He looked at his comrade, who had already buckled to his knees. He then looked up at the frightening monster before them.

He wasn?t moving. His arms were still neatly tucked behind his back, and he was just watching them. Watching them die a most sufferable death.

Both men fell before his feet and their bodies lay limp in front of him.

Vader looked around, his breathing always regular. The first time he had choked someone with the force, his heart was racing and with good reason. Now, he had it down to an art. He didn?t suppose his heart rate fluctuated above fifty-five. Of course he never knew if it was the dark side of the force that allowed him to remain calm, or was it that this machine around him did not feed off his emotions and never allowed his heart rate to accelerate.

Whichever it was, it was cold blooded murder. Darth Vader never had to lift a finger. He never had to be in the same room.

?There is good news, gentlemen.? Vader said to only himself. ?At least you obeyed your final order from a commanding officer.?

Vader turned to his heel and left the bodies to be dealt with, by whom e

10. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Very interesting story. I have to wonder if there will a bit of a confrontation between Tarkin and Vader.

11. Darth-Buddy

Darth-Buddy Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Ooh, I can't wait to read more. She has no idea that Vader has such an affinity towards slaves, I hope she can use the force.=D=

12. Amidala66

Amidala66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    I saw that you posted a new story and I love what you have written so far.

Please add me to your pm list for this fic.=D=

13. HandmaidenVeme

HandmaidenVeme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    ?Stupidity is something I have little patience for, but it does exist.? Vader spoke

Yes, Vader I do agree!

I'm glad those two got what was coming to them. Did they really believe Vader was going to let them see another day?! Idiots!
    I never liked Tarkin and doesn't seem like Vader does either so I wonder if he's going to persuade Anja to help bring Tarkin down. (I hope so!)

14. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    FelsGoddess - You could say that...

Darth-Buddy
    - Honestly, I haven't thought about her having any force capabilities, as of right now I'm thinking of taking this story in a more simplistic direction, but there will be some overlaying storyline, as I have figured out exactly what I'm doing with Tarkin now, so it should be a new approach.

Amidala66
    - Thanks for remembering me and coming to check out this new story, i'll add u to the PM list.

HandmaidenVeme - Take down Tarkin? hmm, he might have other plans.

PM List
    Darth-Buddy
    HandmaidenVeme
    palpyisgod2
    Amidala66

15. jmsbndgrl

jmsbndgrl Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2004
    Whew! Finally had time to read this. Liking it so far. It is different (in a good way). We need something to change things up, sometimes.

Can I be on the PM list please. [face_batting]

16. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    I knew Vader wouldn't let those two get away with it. [face_shame_on_you]

But poor Anja has NO idea what's going on around her. :(

Loved it! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.