main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Marvel a Day Could Well Cause Sanity Issues

Discussion in 'Literature' started by 000, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xoxaan11594

Xoxaan11594 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2009
    [face_praying] You want to let Charles do another thread, mods...

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    The Nagai believe that they can force the Toffs to make concessions if they manage to capture him and possibly turn the tide of the war. It's a typically evil Nagai plan and I'm a little unnerved that the Rebel Alliance is going along with it.
    How is capturing an enemy leader evil?

Any, gratz on finishing the Marvels and it is a shame everything got wrapped up so hastily. Maybe new EU could explore the conflict in more depth, like a video game or something.

3. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    But the Marvels aren't thought with you...

There are still the UK only stories to cover.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    unlock 'n bump

5. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Huzzah! Glad to see this thread unlocked! Anyways, any chance someone could post a picture of Rambo!Luke? I unfortunately managed to miss this moment of sheer awesomeness, and I feel my Luke fanboyness won't be complete until I've seen it.

6. marvelfett11

marvelfett11 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    I think it would be cool if DH created a miniseries that bridged the period from #107 up until the X-Wing (or SOTE: Evolution)comics. Possibly show some Lumiya/Carnor Jax action as well.

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I helped get a thread unlocked. I feel all warm and fuzzy.

Anyway, I'm taking a break after finishing issue 23, because I want to read the first book in the "Han Solo Adventures". I'll resume afterwards. Pretty good, so far, loved The Wheel arc.

Haha, Luke has a six pack in the Marvel comics. There's a nice scene in the arc I just finished where he does a side roll and takes out two guards with a blaster. Good shot XD

8. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    As The Forgotten War: The Nagai and the Tofs clarified, Issue 107 actually takes place AFTER Evolution and some of the X-wing comics.

9. marvelfett11

marvelfett11 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    I did realize that the Rogue Leader miniseries was during the Marvel run. Wasn't sure about SOTE: Evolution.

Still, it would be cool to see a miniseries resolving some Marvel-specific issues and dealing with the whole Lumiya/Carnor Jax thing. I know it's been explained in articles/reference materials, but a story would be nice and I don't think anyone would hate it.

Also I would like to see the Dani storyline expanded upon.

I guess I would like to see more of a blending of the end of the Marvels with the rest of the EU.

10. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    First of all, I wanted to commend the reviewer(s) of the Marvel series on this thread - these are unquestionably the most well-thought out and detailed reviews of these Marvel SW comics I've ever read (and probably ever will read).

I'm glad that these Marvel issues have been (and will continue to be) reprinted by DH for anyone who missed them the first time around. Not only do I think these Marvel comics are well worth reading (even if they're not all canon), they paint a great picture of early SW EU, before the plethora of books and comics that came out from 1991-on (HTTE/DE-on).

That all being said, I agree that the issues chronologically set after ROTJ (#81-on) were weak in many respects - with the Empire being defeated in ROTJ, the writers of the comics started running out of ideas, and the series floundered as a result. There are some bright spots, however - issue #98 is, IMHO, one of the best stand-alone issues in the entire series - the excellent art by Al Williamson definitely helped with this, and I liked how it dealt with the remnants of the Empire, instead of some new enemy. And, some of these other post-ROTJ issues were interesting. But, overall, it's amazing that this Marvel series until 1986 (3 years after ROTJ). I think that, along with everything else SW in the mid-late '80's (toys, books, etc.), fans were losing interest in the franchise - there were no new films evident on the horizon after ROTJ, and because of this fans were moving on to other things.

(However, the huge success of HTTE and DE in 1991 proved that SW fandom was far from dead, it was just dormant :) )

11. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    Just wanted to chime in on how the Nagai stories mix with the later EU. In my article I did clarify this somewhat. The idea that SOTE Evolution happens before #107 comes from The Dark Forces Saga from wizards.com, which mentions Dash and Guri involved fighting the Tofs, suggesting it happens after they meet in Evolution.

In addition to Rogue Leader, I mention that at least SOME of the later X-wing comics happen during those last Marvels. I didn't include more than that in the article but in my mind, the latter X-wing story arcs would take place after. And note there's a few months between #106 & 107.

Oh, and yes, I wish they'd give us a story featuring some of the forgotten Marvel characters and see what they're up to.

12. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Yes, I can picture Vader pouring caf into the breathing grille. Thanks for opening this thread once more, whoever did it. Now I can relive the hot 'n heavy Marvel days, and no longer bemoan the comics lost to moves. Looking forward to the Wheel, and Jaxxon and Williamson, etc.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You'd think Vader would avoid hot drinks.

14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm unnerved when the Rebel Alliance lowers itself to kidnapping royals to terrorize families and hostage taking in general.

15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    On a related note,

I think one of the more interesting elements of the Marvel comic series is that while it has silly elements (HOOJIBS! Zeltron Boy Bands! Hiromi!), the actual comics are more often than not deadly serious.

* The Tay Vanis arc
    * Baron Tagge and his sister
    * The Wes Janson story arc (which borders on being hurt comfort fic)
    * The torture/corruption of Dani
    * The Lumiya arc

Overall, a lot of these stories are fairly dark and have strong undercurrents of powerful emotion. Stories like the ones taking place on the Wheel are fairly straight Star Wars.

It's a pity these stories got labeled as silly fluff.

16. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Don't forget that the Alliance, La Resistance or not, is pretty antiheroic. (Calling friendly fire treason and sentencing Luke to death? Let's ignore that he's THE ONLY KRIFFIN REASON THERE IS A KRIFFIN REBEL ALLIANCE IN CASE EVERYONE FORGOT ABOUT YAVIN!!!)

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I hope this isn't considered necro posting. I've been following this thread as I read Marvel, to read some of the discussion. Really enjoyed reading Charles various opinions on the issues.

I'm nearing the end of the Marvel run, and I disagree with some who say it gets weaker as it goes along... the post ROTJ period is my personal favorite. There's just a sense of, I don't know, fun in them. I love the way Luke is characterized, for one. I just read issue 100, which had Luke doing some cool duel wielding practice on three saber training droids (my mind is a blank; I completely forgot what they are called. The droids Luke practices on in A New Hope), and I love how he basically swoops in and saves the obnoxious Zeltron 80's glam band. And finally, the two Lumiya's fights were just great.

I'm buying Han's characterization, as well. Of course, he does seem to get screwed over by Alliance politics at every turn, though you can in some small ways still see the struggle between Han's old life, as a smuggler who follows no rules but his own, and a General of the New Republic.

Mon Mothma and Ackbar have served mostly as the stock authority figures that the rebellious protagonist have to overcome (punk rock, dude). I can buy it if I look at it from a distorted point of view. They don't seem to want to give the Heroes of Yavin any special privileges; Han having to take the flight test again, for example. This is understandable in a way, since they're trying to get as far away as possible from the Empire. It paints them as somewhat cold and, almost, unappreciative, but it is politics. As Charles pointed out in one of the earlier reviews, if they well wanted, the Big Three (plus Lando) could easily rally enough supporters to overthrow the Alliance and form their own Empire.

Just wanted to comment on things so far, I'm looking forward to finally finishing. I'm glad more of the EU is starting to reference Marvel stuff. I personally like to think of it all as canon, with the exception of the really implausible stuff (Boba Fett falling into the sarlacc for the 14th time), or stuff that plain doesn't work (Jansen's death). The Nagai war fits rather nicely between the Battle of Endor and the Battle of Mindor, I believe.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Really need to get back into my Marvel thread sometime...

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It's really too bad how rushed this is... I'm nearing the end, and more and more I think that the Nagai arc could have been so much better if more time was spent on it.

*grumble

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.