main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Matrix RPG

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Jedi_Xen, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There's a new feat in the Hero's Guide called "Up The Walls" (I believe) that should cover this...

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Many psionic powers from D&D Psionic Handbook are quite similar to the "Focus" effects. My two cents.

3. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    I would think "focus points" would be acquired and expended the same way the Force is used in the D20 system, as in established by vitality and wound points.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If you're talking bullet time, we're looking at a d20 modern mod for it. Essentially, it's based more off Max Payne than the Matrix, but since Max Payne owes soooo much to the Matrix it's all relevant.

Activating bullet time is a free action, and you must declare you're using it at the start of a round - NOT your action. It costs X number of Hit Points of Vitality, depending on your system and/or what we work out ;). But it gives you an extra move and extra attack each turn, plus a hefty bonus to your AC/Defense. Think about how you can see the pellets after a shotgun is fired @ you in Max Payne; that's representing the increased AC/Defense - in Max Payne, and anyone but Neo/Agents in the Matrix, you can move fast enough (in Bullet Time) to either just avoid being hit or take the damage on a less vital part of the body at worst.

Maybe every 4th or so level, you'd get either an extra attack or move action in bullet time; akin to class bonus' in Star Wars, D&D or SpyCraft.

Using hitpoints to pay for bullettime is, IMO, a good idea because it makes you really evaluate the tradeoff. Do you spend hit points to deliver two attacks and perhaps neutralise the threat? Or do you leave it for when you're on full HP and it's safer, etc etc.

For jumping, I'd agree with Moridin's idea of ignoring distance when in Bullet Time.

I'm doing a thesis now but when it's done I'll try and get the finalised rules for this done. Right now, it's very sketchy... :)

E_S

5. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    The D20 modern sys would work well.

Hell, I could think of a few house rules right now. Take the "force" point system and apply it. A "belief in the one," point. ;)

As for skill advancement, you could jump levels easily by simply doing that whole "programing" gimic they did in the first matrix.

"Yeah, I need to know how to pilot a chopper, and fight with two guns..."

GM;

"Okay, we'll raise you three levels, increase your feats, and give you a pilot rank of +10..."

:p

6. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    I am in the process of writing up some rules for a Matrix-based RPG right now. Any contributions from you guys would be appreciated, if the enthusiasm is still there. Don't forget that the last one is playing this Wednesday.

(Oh, and Star Wars rules.)

7. DarthArraKul

DarthArraKul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    this may be a way to help out....

force points.... or whatever they would end up being in the matrix

have normal effect, allowing characters to do amazing things, perhaps in conjunction with some jedi skills and feats ((( not all, but some)) such as enhance attribute

also, when a character needs a download they must burn a force point to acquire the new skill at a +1 per FP spent

overall, d20 mod would give GMs the bst flavor for their campaign, but much as i hate to say it GURPS is ready to go

IMHO , much as at pains me to say , also, the epic levels would need to be used in a matrix setting.. i think it would be the only way to explain agents and the one w/o cutting the playing life of the heros to short. the matrix is the ultimate munchkin movie.. YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT!!! and any game would have to leave that style of play open for the players..

8. Jacen13

Jacen13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2002
    I would create a Focus system, like I said earlier, and you activate "Bullet Time" at the beginning of your turn. You use feats to increase the power of your bullet time letting you move faster, get better dodge, increase accuracy. Bullet Time would drain 10 Focus Points a round, with special manuvers (ie. Up the Walls, Gravity Freeze, Ultra Speed, Double Dodge, Double Attack, Double Accuracy) costing 5 extra.

Basically, Bullet Time gives you a +5 bonus to every subjective stat (I.E. Dodge (defense) Accuracy, Damage...) and it quadruples your speed. Spend 5 extra and you increase your ability in one area by another catagory. You can use feats to increase the bonuses or to provide new combos and specials.

The brain programming, bassically you have 15 'free' points that you distribute among your skills. When your operator 'reprograms' you, you burn 100 Focus Points (don't worry, after 30 seconds, you recover 10 a round (10 second rounds btw).

That's how I would do it anywhoway...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.