main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Medieval Chant to Star Wars Death Music.

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by MilotheHutt, May 6, 2014.

1. MilotheHutt

MilotheHutt Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2014
    One of the world's oldest songs isn't about love, sex or even power. It's about death.

Dies Irae, the song of death, is a medieval chant that warns of an apocalyptic day of wrath, and has been used as the soundtrack to the end of life for 40 human generations — from the dark ages to Star Wars, The Lion King and Lord of the Rings.

Can you name others?

2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Very interesting and enjoyable video—thanks for sharing. Though if I had one small nitpick, it's that the Lord of the Rings example seems a bit tenuous—the melodic pattern there (3-1-2-7-1-6-7-5 in natural minor) doesn't quite match up with the Dies irae melodic pattern (3-2-3-1-2-7-1-1).

It's an interesting coincidence that the ostinato of the Christmas piece known in English as "Carol of the Bells" (originally a setting of the Ukrainian New Year's carol "Shchedryk") is also that same little 3-2-3-1 lick, though somehow I doubt a good Eastern Orthodox Christian like Mykola Leontovych had a Roman Catholic chant in his head when composing that piece. ;) I guess one main point here is that that little 3-2-3-1 lick is just very musically versatile and super catchy, whatever background one may be from! :)

3. VictoriaSkywalker

VictoriaSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2015
    So cool!!!!!!!

4. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

The Dies Irae from Mozart's Requiem was used in X-Men 2. :)