main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG A member from FFNSW seeking help.

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Tayschrenn, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Hi, I hope no one minds me posting here.

I live in Sydney, Australia and i'm going to be over in Singapore from this Friday for a week with a bunch of friends.

I was wondering if any locals could give me some hints/info about things to do, avoid, definatly go to, etc. :)

Much appreciated and thanks,

-Tayschrenn's button-presser.

2. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Hi there! I assume u and your friends are all SW fans?

One week is pretty long for the average tourist, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to see ;)

I would say Orchard Road is a must go, because of the shopping, but if that's not what you're looking for, then maybe just drop by and look-see. :)

Plus u have the check out Night Safari which if I not wrong, is the world's first "night-time zoo" :D. Try not to miss that.

Anybody else want to add on? Especially food, I'm not very good at recommending it, so hope someone else can add on

:)

3. L0rd-NyaX

L0rd-NyaX Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    haha heya aussie!.. yeah orchard rd would be good.. just pick up those brochures at the airport ya know.. those regular sight-see spots like zoo, bird park etc..
    but if you are old enough.. you can visit Geylang.. Singapore's red light district.. *shh* lotsa good food there.. local delights *hehe*

4. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    lol. :)

Thanks for the help, both of you. Its great to be able to have a bit of before-hand knowledge so I at least have some idea of what i'm going to be doing.

And L0rd-NyaX, I really hope I don't wander around like some regular tourist!! :) No one likes those types :D

-Tayschrenn.

5. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hi, Tayschrenn!

Coming to Singapore? So what kind of things will you and friends interested to see and do in Singapore.

Well, a must to go in Singapore is the following place:
    -Singapore Zoological Garden
    -Night Safari (just beside the zoo)
    (The 2 places above entry fee is above SGD10 so get ready the money!)
    -Sentosa Island
    -Orchard Road (the whole stretch of it from Tanglin Mall to Plaza Singapura)
    -City Hall area

If you and friend are in for Nature Related Stuffs, the following places will be good:
    -Jurong Bird Park
    -Jurong Reptile Park
    -Sungai Buloh Sanctuary (there is a lack of birds there currently but anyhow there are some local inhabitants)

For Culture Related, try these places:
    -Chinatown
    -Little India
    -Geylang Serai (Malay Village)
    -Arab Street

For History Related, try
    -National Museum
    -Asian Civilization Museum (Former Toa Nan School)?
    -Arts Museum (Former St Joseph's Institution)
    -Sentosa's Wax Museum
    -Fort Cannine
    -CHIJMES (City Hall-Raffles City Area)
    -Padang Area (on left hand sides from City Hall)
    -Kranji War Memorial
    -Changi Prison Museum

For random places to go to
    -Singapore Science Center (nothing much there currently I think) + Omini Max Theater
    -Snow City
    -Singapore Discovery Centre
    -Chinese/Japanese Garden

If you want to go shopping for SW stuffs, just give us a buzz okay and we may be able to point out to you places within Orchard itself that sell stuffs at reasonable prices. If going for other stuffs, try to get one of those brouches from the STB which got list out some shops that should be avoided at Lucky Plaza. Brouches at the Airport and a little Map of the main areas in Singapore (Orchard Road, City Hall, Little India, Chinatown) will also be useful in this trip.

And don't worry much about the food or drinks. Our water are clean at mojority of places while food is okay as long as the place look clean enough or got C and above ratings.

It's the Durian season now too so I recommand you try out that stinky fruit too! :D

6. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Food. You must try the food. ;)

7. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    Thanks for your help, Darth_Eagle!

* We've heard about the Night Safari Tour and we'll be going to see that on Saturday night, I believe.

* I've heard about "Little India," apparently my Hotel is really close by there.

* I hope to be able to go to both Kranji and Changi, as i'm really interested in history. :)

* What is this 'Snow City' that sounds interesting!

Durian, eh? Sounds... interesting. :d

Oh, and JediClare, i'll definatly be trying the food. There is no way I am going to cook for myself, I hate that :p. Besides, I think my Hotel doesn't allow it - thank Gawd.

Again, thanks all for your help.

-Tayschrenn, the Happy Tourist.

8. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Snow City is near to the Singapore Science Centre (I think!) :D

btw, DE, I thought Sentosa now is kind of in the decline, less and less tourists go there, and certain areas also losing money.. :(

9. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    Yep, it's very near the Singapore Science Centre.

Snow City is a place which is supposed to let people experience 'snow'. It's actually nothing terrific, just lots of ice and snow. There's a small (and I mean small) area to play with the snow (but there never seems to be enough of it :p), and there's an area where there's this big ice 'slide'. You sit on this tyre seat and you go sliding down all the way to the bottom. Like I said, it's nothing great, but it's quite fun for us here in hot, sunny Singapore where the closest it gets to snowing is raining all day long. ;)

10. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    LOL! :)

Sounds like fun actually.

However, i'll be going skiing (hopefully) for a week down in Victoria (back in Australia) after I come back from Singapore, so I probably won't need to go.

And I forgot the temp. was different for you guys! Down here, at the moment, the weather is terrible. Freezing cold in the morning, I can hardly get up. I forgot that it is going to be all sunshine and warm breezes up there.

I'm looking forward to this Friday even more now! :)

Tayschrenn

11. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Haha sunshine is correct.. a whole 34 degrees celsius! 8-}

12. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    Uh oh. I have fair skin! :)

//packs his sun glasses

-Tayschrenn.

13. lukedecop

lukedecop Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    A curise along Singapore River would be a good choice if you are interested in our Singapore History.

As for Sentosa, i beleive there are some renovations going on at the moment so you may not be able to go for all the attractions. However if you are there the Musical Fountain and the Wax Museum is a much catch.

By the way Tayschrenn are you here free and easy or on tour?

14. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    Sunblock.

Just in case. :p

15. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    Free and easy, pretty much, lukedecop. My friends are attached to a tour though, so depending when I can ween one away from that, i'll be doing things.

-Taychrenn, who thanks JediClare for the Sunblock.

16. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Hey Tayschrenn! :)

I think Darth_Eagle's just about covered most of it, but there's just one more place I'd like to add, since you mentioned an interest in something historical... actually it's located on Sentosa too... it's Fort Siloso.

It used to be an actual Fort on the island, used to defend Singapore way back when, and you can explore the tunnels and see the mini-museum there.

But if you ask me, I would definitely recommend the Changi Prison Museum and the Kranji War Memorial, and then if you still have time, Fort Siloso.

And if you'd like to explore the Singapore Heartland (otherwise known as our residential town centres and so on), then I'd recommend Tampines (they won a UN award for their town) and Marine Parade (of course, it's the Prime Minister's constituency and I live there, so I'm kinda biased - hehheh! ;) But it has a small town feel to it that's relaxing and it's near the sea).

Another place you might like to visit is Holland Village, there are some shops there that you might be interested in seeing, but some of them may be rather pricey though. If you want a good bargain though, I'd recommend Bugis Village for flea market-type shopping. And if you're into electronic goods and PC-related things, then I'd recommend Funan Centre and Sim Lim Square.

Speaking of which, are you interested in nightlife, you know, pubs, nice restaurants, discos and so on?
    If you are, then check out places like Zouk, Mohamed Sultan, Boat Quay, Clarke Quay, Holland Village, Chijmes, and Marine Cove (otherwise known as the East Coast Park McDonald's) for some night-time fun!

Well, that's all I can think of right now, so I hope it's been really helpful to you, and that you and your friends enjoy your stay in Singapore!! :)

17. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Changi Prison Museum, for your info is located slightly away from the actual Changi Prison (where criminals goes to stay). Kinda sad place cause it primary showcase what the Prisoners of Wars in WWII experience. The Chapel there is a replica too; the real one had been brought back to Australia or New Zealand or England if I'm not mistaken.

Hmm, I didn't know certain parts of Sentosa is under renovations. Last time went there a few months ago. A good place you can go there too is the Underwater World; one of its main attraction is this Dugong or Sea Cow which was raise there after her mom was killed and she was found by local fishermen/islanders(?). She's so pampered that I heard they are putting her on diet! ;) There're lots of sharks there too (so much that the place got to release them back to sea annually) and maybe at night they still have that Florescent Jellyfish exhibitions.

Oh yes! You can go to Sentosa by Ferry or by Bus (from Orchard or Tiong Bahru?) or walk there (not recommanded as the World Trade Centre there is under renovation so it's a looong walk from the bus interchange to the Causeway).

Other than Fort Siloso, Fort Cannine also have a WWII tunnel, where General Percival and his men decided to surrender to the advancing Japanese troops. The good thing is, it's not that far away from Orchard Road so you can drop by there after the trip up the hill.

18. Faiz

Faiz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    snow city?

interesting, i might have 'ideas'. DE find me asap next time on mirc. go inspirations that might need some discussions

19. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    Ah, excellent advice, thanks. :)

I'll definatly be checking out Changi Prison Museum and the Kranji War Memorial.

I'm interested in doing a bit of PC-related shopping if I can afford it :D.

And yeah, JediJean, night life is important - We can't sit around all night! So those tips you gave sound good.

Thanks again,

-Tayschrenn.

20. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Tayshrenn, since you mentioned possibly shopping around for PC-related things...

I'd advise you to go to Funan Centre, because although you might not be able to take advantage of bargain prices there, it's probably more reliable, since you're less likely to get cheated or have the wool pulled over your eyes. In particular, check out PK Computer (a place that I usually go to) and Challenger, or just walk around, 'cos there are LOTS OF SHOPS there selling PC-related things. Heck, they don't call themselves Funan: The IT Mall for nothing, y'know! :)

As for Sim Lim Square, chances are, you may be able to find many more bargains there, but it really is a case of "buyer beware", 'cos not all of those bargains are really good ones, and you could get cheated if you don't know any better. But if your PC knowledge is above average or if you're an IT Professional, then you might actually prefer to go to Sim Lim instead of Funan, because there really is a lot more there, and you might find it more interesting to shop there.

In any case, I usually buy from Marketplace when I go to Sim Lim, so you might want to check them out. I find they are quite reliable, and their prices aren't too bad either, but you might still want to shop around as you might still find better bargains at some of the other shops.

Comparing Sim Lim and Funan though, I would say that Sim Lim is probably more like a Mos Eisley, whereas Funan is more like a Naboo or Coruscant, if you get what I mean...

If you are game for an adventure though, then Sim Lim would be a place for you, and some tips for shopping there:

1) Don't buy at the first shop you set foot into, look around, 'cos you may be able to find the same thing at another shop at a more reasonable price.

2) Go for boxed items, and it would be better if the item came with a guarantee.

3) Don't be afraid to bargain, 'cos you may be able to get better prices that way too, although not at all of the shops all of the time, but chances are... you MIGHT be able to.

4) Try not to shop there during weekends, because it is usually more crowded.

5) And if you shop during weekdays, try to do your shopping before 7.00pm, as the shops there tend to close quite early.

But if you really don't have time to shop around much, and are not very adventurous in doing your PC-related shopping, then Funan would probably be a much safer option, as it caters more to the everyday guy, the average home PC user.

Anything else you need to know??

21. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Not to mention Funan is having some Warcraft III premiere celebration at midnight 2nd July I think.. S$59.90 instead of S$69.90 to buy the game, as well as other goodies. :D

22. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    Thanks again for the info, JediJean. It is al very helpful.

That is about all of the questions I can think of at the moment, you've all helped me out alot with the answers :)

I leave tomorrow anyway, so i'll have to get my list of things to visit together. :)

-Tayschrenn.

23. Sidious_101

Sidious_101 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    By the time u read this u r either i singapore in one of those cyber cafe of back home in australia. Hope u enjoy Extremely sunny singapore being a FINE city.

I'd really recommend the old sites like kranji war memorial, fort siloso and the new war museum at Kent ridge park....

Oh oh and if u have time try the national museum night tour which will highlight the DARK-SIDE of Singapore national museum... it's a real screamer! N if ur at the snow city, drop by the science centre, and chinese garden...its free the chinese garden i think :D N a word of caution the food here's is really HOT!

Enjoy ur say in singapore and may the force b with u always.

24. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    Meant to post here:

Just wanted to say (i'm off to bed now and won't be back online before i'm in Singapore) a big thanks to everyone who posted on here and helped me out. Its been great and i've jotted down all the places you've recommended to me.

So i'll see you all 'round. I'll come back and let you know how I went in a week.

Thanks again,

-Tayschrenn's button-presser.

25. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    Just so all those who helped know:

I've just come back from Singapore and I had an absolutly wonderful time! Thanks to everyone who helped me out! I had an excellent time in that wonderful city. :) I didn't want to come home! Thats it... i'm moving in. :)

Thanks again.

Tayschrenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.