main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN A MidWest Fan Force Convention

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedihexer, Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    Dear Indy Knight Fans,

My name is Eric Larson. I am the President of the Wisconsin Fan Force Group.

The reason I am writing is to invite your club to Wisconsin in November!

Every year since 1985 we have had a media convention. Two years ago, I created a new convention called FilmCon. It's purpose was to teach film making to fans interested in the genre of indie films. Since it began we have grown about 200%. We still keep it small, around 200-250 people each year.

We also do something special each year, by picking a topic or film to highlight. This year I picked Star Wars...to help celebrate it's 25 year!

The convention is held in Madison, Wisconsin. November 15th-17th. From noon Friday until 4 PM Sunday. This is also a charity convention. ALL money made above the cost of running the convention goes to a Breast Cancer charity we have helped out for the past 2 years.

I am writing to all Midwest chapters to see if anyone is interested in attending. Already fans from Chicago's and Minnesota's Fan Force have registered. There is even a group from Denver anting to make the trek.

My hope is to have enough Fan Force members from around the USA to meet up and introduce the different clubs to one another at the convention. There will be a special time and room set aside so ALL groups can meet and interact during the convention.

There are 3 tracks of programming this year. Film making/ Star Wars/ and Multi-Media.

The film making panels are just that. We teach everything from blue screen shooting and make-up to advanced 3d modeling on computers...Maya and 3D Max will be represented this year. DISCREET computer software will have their lead artist on hand all day Saturday and Sunday to give lectures and demo's on the companies new programs. This along with practical seminars on budgets, storyboarding and design.

Track two is just Star Wars...Everything and anything. From costume panels and prop making, to introducing gaming and fanzines. As much will be covered as possible in three days. This includes a 2 seminar class on light saber techniques taught by several professional fencing instructors.( These classes are held on Saturday, and must be signed up for in advance.)

Track 3 is Muti-media. From Trek to Galactica...Sci-Fi Channel to other films...everything that is not Star Wars will be covered. Including a large discussion on Lord of the Rings!

Our guests are truly fun this year. Dr. David West Reynold's. A lecturer, veteran of field expeditions on three continents and author of scientific archeological publications. He has written X-Wing& TIE Fighter pocket guides along with the star wars Visual Dictionaries and the Star Wars and Phantom Menace cutaway books. He is currently at work on a new book about the light saber and it's history. The Dr. will be leading panel discussions on "the Archeology of Star Wars"- the locations from the original SW film, and the archives. He will also discuss his new book about NASA. (He will be autographing his books.)

Paul Topolos a matte and storyboard artist for Pixar. He has also worked for Lucasarts as the designer of Rouge Leader for the X Box and Rouge Squadron, Racer, Grim Fandango, Obi Wan and Shadows of the Empire. But what makes Paul so interesting is his latest achievement. Not only did he help storyboard both episode 1 & 2, he is the matte artist and designer for the AOTC?s DVD...due out the same week as the convention! Paul will be on hand to discuss everything you want to know about the film and his work on the disc. (This is the only convention anyone from the DVD design team will be attending-and will sign autographs.)

Derek Smith is also and artist and designer. He has worked on the ?Wildlife of Star Wars? book and is currently working at Raven Software, the makers of Jedi Outcast.

Also The Great Lukeski will be entertaining the convention with his famous tunes.

We also have a GREAT costume contest with prizes and trophies given away. On Saturday night we host the Auction for Breast Cancer. This is a great way to help people

2. Wookiee_Cushion

Wookiee_Cushion Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2002
    Scratch. Spit. Scratch again. Wind up. And here's the pitch....!

As a presenter and spectator of the first two FilmCons, I highly recommend attendence to this event! Eric definitely knows how to put on a show that appeals to many people - from sci-fi fans to film makers. I tend to indulge, and have taken advantage of every aspect of this convention in the past - from participating in the costume contest to talking one-on-one with the guests about their techniques and experiences. The enthusiasm and eagerness among those present is infectous - from the speakers to the bystanders. In fact, the FilmCons of the past are some of the best conventions I've ever been to - it's smaller size allows more time and attention from the guests, and discussion and fun time among those attending. Anyways, before I spend all of my two cents, please consider coming to this Con! For a mere $25, you purchase one hell of an entertaining and inspiring weekend...

I hope to see some of you there! I certainly will be, but it is my duty to throw the best hotel room party possible. Such is my path. Let our destiny's entwine over salty snacks and boxed wine...

3. Wookiee_Cushion

Aug 19, 2002
    Do the bump. Gots to get this topic up!

4. jedinan

jedinan Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    Yet another midwest fan who is trying to get the word out.

I LOVE this convention. It's fun, it has seminars, and you get to meet other people interested in many different things, yet all are fans.

I really had fun at some of the panels. They usually run about 1 1/2 hours. The best part is you are not rudhed. You have time to discuss things. The fact that there is going to be a big Star Wars panel, and discusssion is great. I think quite a few fans will find this interesting.

Well enough from me. I have gone for two years and think this is a great litttle con. It would be really nice to meet others from the midwest fan force also. C'mon, take a road trip and lets see you all here in Madison in Novemeber.

JediNan

5. jedinan

jedinan Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    Hi People,
    Eric wanted this sent around. He is having trouble with his email system. So I'm delivering the message. If you have questions write to Eric, at- filmcon@earthlink.net.

JediNan

1. If you plan on attending FilmCon, the first 100 attendee's will get a
    special laminated con badge with lanyard.

2. We have room still, but I do want to let people know this. The more
    people that sign up early, the easier it will be to plan the convention.
    Even with 200+ people, it is a large task.
    So if you are considering coming, please let me know. If you have questions
    write to me at the filmcon website.

6. Wookiee_Cushion

Aug 19, 2002
    Commence the countdown sequence, because FilmCon is a less than two months away...!

As the time before it decreases, the attendance increases, so make sure to sign up A.S.A.P.! What are you waiting for? Do yourself a favor, and don't miss out on this truly unique experience. I cannot praise this convention enough - so all that I can suggest is that you sign up, and see for yourself. With all of the guests, seminars, events, and, of course, parties - having a great time is guaranteed!

For updated information on the convention, or to register on-line, go to www.filmcon.com

7. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    We need your help, guys! This could be the last year for FilmCon unless more people pre-register. The problem is that the hotel is getting picky about handling the fees for the conference rooms. They want all the money up front, but we can't do that unless more people pre-register.

There is no other convention like this. Nowhere else can you get storyboarding lessons from a real Star Wars storyboard artist, have brunch with authors of Star Wars books, and learn how to make your own fan film, all for only $25 for the whole weekend! What's more, because it's a small convention there are no lines to get through before each event, unlike *ahem* certain other conventions. ;) It's like Gen Con's early days!

We're trying to organize this as a Fan Force event, in the same vein as Celebration, focusing on independent filmmaking. I've received word that Joshua Griffin is planning to be there. Twenty members of the Rebel Legion and the 501st will be there. There will be room parties and plenty of other opportunities for Fan Force members from around the Midwest to get to know each other. So please register! I want to meet you guys! :)

8. thraken76

thraken76 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2001
    Have you guys noticed that no one from Indy has posted here...

[image=http://66.149.103.35/junk/omg_noc.jpg]

9. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    [image=http://www.eyeonstarwars.com/trilogy/character/images/luke.jpg]
    "I care."

I care about Star Wars and I care about Fan Force. I also care about the charity that stands to benefit from this convention. More than anything, I care about bringing people together, even cynics like you. :p That's why I'm trying to help this convention.

10. Quag_Myr_Rumm

Quag_Myr_Rumm Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    Except for two SW authors what other Star Wars people are going to be their. Any Actors, Celebrities? We know all about the Con and most of us have made up our minds whether we are going. This constant posting is making some of us realize we DON'T want to go. It's not our problem that things are over-extended and you didn't plan financially. If we sign up, we sign up. If we go, we go. We're just tired of seeing it posted.

11. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    There's a lot of FF groups/members attending from that area, and some of Milwaukee's group's members are actually organizing it, so if you're not interested just ignore the thread...if you are, read it. Move along, move along.

12. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master star 3

May 30, 2002
    It is an excellent charity to support. However, you'll find few Indy folks who have the kind of resources to venture to Madison, Wisconsin. I would go if I had the $$$ for the trip, hotel, etc. I'm already committed (or should be committed) to two cons in November, so I've tapped the old well dry.

I wish you the best of luck with it, it sounds like a good time.

13. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I apologize. I don't mean to be hitting you guys over the head with this stuff. I just want to save the con. :(

We don't currently have any actors or celebrities scheduled, but Eric is in talks with Richard LeParmentier (Admiral Motti), Michael Carter (Bib Fortuna), and several members of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 cast. In the past, we have not invited any celebrities because they demand outrageous fees for their appearances, fees which no non-profit event can possibly pay. If Eric convinces any of the aforementioned people to appear I'll be surprised.

I know how far Wisconsin is from Indiana. I know because we all drove to Indianapolis and back again for Celebration 2. It's not that far, and you'd have alot more fun and spend alot less money here than many of us did at C2.

14. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master star 3

May 30, 2002
    C2 is why a lot of us don't have money to spare. There seems to be some kind of idea that we got stuff handed to us- well, sorry, that just isn't true.

Regarding getting actor/guests for a reasonable price, push the fact that you guys are a not for profit outfit raising funds. Tell them they can bring their own pics to sign and charge for, and they'll keep *all* they make. You'll be surprised at how that entices them. Did you know they had to share their autograph money at C2 with WotC? Yep. Great guests can be had with the proper negotiations. Be open and upfront with them, and you'll get far.

15. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I was not under the impression that anyone in Indiana was getting handouts. Perhaps what I don't understand is why a convention in your home state tapped your finances so bad that you can't afford a much cheaper convention taking place nearly 6½ months later. ?[face_plain]

Thanks for your input. I'll pass your suggestion along to Eric. :)

16. Quag_Myr_Rumm

May 28, 2002
    C2 was in May. Then Indianapolis had a convention July 4th weekend. Then there are those who just went to Dragon Con. It isn't just the money for the convention, gas, food, and possible housing; but for some of us it's also commitments and having fewer days to burn at work because they were burned for earlier conventions and such.

17. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Ah, now I understand. I'm sorry, I thought you were blaming it all on C2.

18. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    I just want to thank the fans who have been so nice on the thread, and explain to others WHY we post so much.

As "Quag Myr Rumm" stated...that maybe we did not plan so well with the money-

This convention has NEVER gone in the red, nor will it ever. The fact is since Sept. 11th, everyone is hurting including the hotels. I have a grant from a much bigger convention to help out. The problem is getting things organized for people. Sure we will get 150 members, but if 200 more show up- I won't have the room or resources to let them in. Not unless I paln for it with the right funds. We also GIVE everything away to the charity at the end. No monry is left. I start from scratch each year...and so far we have been fine.

I also have to say I don't like the line of "Constant Posting". The fact is you DON"T have to look at the thread if you don't want to. And if you are looking, I would presume you might have some interest.

Needless to say if Indiana does not want to be bothered by us...we won't bother.
    I understand the limits of travel, and the money issues these days. But I don't think 1 or 2 people should speak for an entire city. If someone wishes to come great! If not- that's fine too.

I just did not like the attitude in the one thread.

Best wishes from Wisconsin-
    Good luck with C3!

Eric Larson
    President the Wisconsin Fan Force
    and FilmCon 3

19. EMERALD_GREENE

EMERALD_GREENE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    If need be, I will take corrective action in this city board. After all, that was why I was elected as City Rep. As many of the Indy Knights can/will attest to, I WILL step in when I feel it is necessary. If anyone has a problem with posts on this board, feel free to direct your concerns to ME & I will try to address them accordingly.

20. Quag_Myr_Rumm

May 28, 2002
    First off this thread appears on more than one board. My understanding of the Forums is that isn't allowed. Post it over in the Midwest section. Instead, you have posted this thread on every Midwest board and your people continue to bump it up. So don't take exception to something that is FACT!

You say that this con is small and personal and that "seating" is limited (200-250). Then you turn around and say that you need to know if 200 more are coming then expected, so now it's 350? This close and personal con may grow? Which is it dude?

Most of us have made up our minds and I may not have to read any thread that I don't want to. But your dumping your stuff in my yard, so that does make it my business as well as any one else in Indianapolis. As far as my speaking for everyone...the fact that no one has posted anything up to this point about the con says volumes.

GET OVER IT.

21. EMERALD_GREENE

EMERALD_GREENE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    OK Quag, that is enough. As of now, no IKs are to post in this thread! I have put in a request to have this thread locked & THAT will take care of the problem!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.