main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion A Mighty Change of Plot--Your favorite examples of when a fic got away from you

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthIshtar, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 92SE-R

92SE-R Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2005
    My Fic that I am currently working on To The Edge of Night, was supposed to go in a different direction than it has. I've ended up killing off more characters than originally planned, but it seemed to fit where the story was/is going. The more I write it, the more my OC's don't want to cooperate with what I had planned. :D

I can see where I want it to go now, but who knows if I'll actually get it there?[face_laugh]

2. Miss_Anakin

Miss_Anakin Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2005
    My sister and I started writing a fanfic together back in 2005, and it really got away from us. It was originally crossover parody inspired by the influx of Harry Potter/Star Wars fanfiction, in which Harry Potter falls from the sky, everyone thinks he's the Chosen One, Anakin hates him, Obi-Wan loves him, and then Harry turns to the dark side and takes over the universe. We wrote it for our own stupid enjoyment, and we decided to go all out. But over the years it has turned into a heart-wrenching story of Anakin dealing with the fact that he is the Chosen One and then that he might not be, a strained bond between master and padawan, and dealing with the envy Anakin feels towards Ferus Olin. Harry Potter isn't even so much as hinted at anymore. Boy, did that one get away from us...

3. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Hi everyone, it's been awhile and I'm trying to kick a major case of writer's block so I can finish an ROTS AU that I'm working on.

Good topic. When I first started The Anakin Skywalker Diaries six years ago, it was intended to be a short humorous vignette with no plot outside Anakin mooning Bail Organa. It turned into a four-part novel in an AOTC and ROTS AU universe.

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, is that still going on? When I was away from the boards, my readers used to send me letters with excerpts from that story.

I was once challenged to write a fic about Han and Leia being assigned to assassinate Vader two years after the founding of the Empire. I instead took them to about 30 minutes into ROTS, made their being there have no effect on the plot whatsoever and then started a sequel.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Ish, no, I finished it in early 2004. I'm thrilled that it got passed around that much though.

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, you would be surprised how many of my letters went something like this: "HI, Ish? How are you doing? I'm fine. We miss you. Here's some A/P awesomeness!"

7. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    My most famous story actually happened as a result of my frustration with another story. I was stuck on "Sleight of Hand" and it didn't look like it was going to move forward anytime soon. So, I just closed the file on it for a bit, and decided to write a Luke/Mara smut scene. No literary value whatsoever, just Luke and Mara getting down and dirty. That smut scene evolved into "Whisper Your Weakness" which became a 99k word story of angst, torture, and romance! Which also took me three years to finish, btw. [face_frustrated]

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, I've had quite a few of those kinds of stories, most memorably Lest Ye Be Judged the original version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.