main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index A Miscellany of Characters: The Crossover Database/New Challenge (6/21); Now Disc. Star Trek X-overs

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by CrossoverIndex, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drabba_the_Hutt

Drabba_the_Hutt Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    1. Who are you? Introduce yourself! :)

I am the terror that flaps in the night! I am the typo in your spelling rant! I am Drabbwing Duck! Or maybe not.

2. Why did you click on this thread?

I have long been a fan of crossovers in different genres and different media.

3. Do you like crossovers, do you hate them, or do you find them "bleh" and have no real opinion about them?

A well-done crossover is a beauty to behold.

4. If you could write a crossover, what would it be? What fandom(s) would you choose and what Star Wars era would it be set in? And, just for kicks, what would you title it?

After the movie comes out on DVD tomorrow, I want to start expanding my Ratatouille crossover with the 1996 Fox series Profit. Needless to say, it wouldn't be in any SW era. [EDIT: I'm not sure of a title yet; it wouldn't be what I called the drabble.]

5. What's your favourite crossover you've read?

It may not have been the best-written ever -- and it was in script format -- but I still have a fondness for "Grades of Shay," a TNG/Muppet crossover written back in 1990.

EDIT II: Come to think of it, this afternoon I started a crossover drabble between two television series from twenty years apart, both starting with the letter V. [Sorry, still no SW.] Don't know if I'll have room for the guinea pig. [face_thinking]

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    So glad to see people participating in the first challenge! :D

Drabba -- you're late. :p I thought you would have showed up earlier. ;)

3. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    1. Who are you? Introduce yourself!
    Independence1776, but I prefer Indy.

I like crossovers and I'm alway looking for good new ones.

3. Do you like crossovers, do you hate them, or do you find them "bleh" and have no real opinion about them?
    Love them.

4. If you could write a crossover, what would it be? What fandom(s) would you choose and what Star Wars era would it be set in? And, just for kicks, what would you title it?
    No idea. Maybe with Firefly and probably the PT. I'd like to see Obi-Wan and River meet.

Um.... Get back to me in a couple months. :p

4. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    JediXManSerenaKenobi, aka Serena Kenobi.

I adore crossovers and thought I'd pop in.

I just said I adore them. Weren't you LISTENING? Just kidding. No, really, they rock. Gives Star Wars a whole new spin. Possibilities are endless.

Well, I'd probably do a Lord of the Rings or Smallville xover, but right now I'm already kinda writing an X-Men crossover, and a Silver Surfer xover. Er, I don't know what I'd title it. The era depends on which fandom I'm crossing with.

Uh... er... I don't know. Yet.

But I didn't catch the first challenge - what is it?

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    *** Now Open! - Date Edited: 11/3 8:50am (1 edits total) Edited By: CrossoverIndex
    Challenge One

?What Universe Did You Say You Were From??

Most crossovers involve characters from both fandoms meeting and interacting directly with each other (yes, we know there are others that are basically the plot of one fandom placed in the world of Star Wars, but let?s not go there yet ). The first Crossover Challenge is going to be an exercise in writing characters from different fandoms meeting each other.

Be warned, there is a catch to this.

So, the challenge:

1. Take ONE character from Star Wars and write a scene where he/she meets ONE character from another fandom, be it Doctor Who, Stargate, Harry Potter, Star Trek, Firefly, The Lion King, Dracula, The Lord of the Rings? whatever!

2. The scene MUST be written only in DIALOGUE! ( )

3. It must include the following five words: intellectual, shebang, orientation, machete, camouflage.

4. There is no word limit.

5. It can be any genre, written in any era!

Remember to have fun and post a link to it in this thread once you?re done. Also, put First Crossover Challenge in the header.

That?s all! Good luck!

~Idrelle and Diamond

There you have it, Serena!

6. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005

leiamoody, a very unpopular and unlikeable sot. Any questions? Didn't think so.

I was possessed by aliens, perhaps?

I like crossovers if they have a veneer of plausibility to them. Some of the ones I've come across in certain fandoms only seem like exercises in throwing together two random characters for slash purposes. I have no problem with slash in general, but like crossovers, there has to be some kind of possibility behind it. Not just because "OMG, wouldn't it be sooo hot if A/B got together with cucumbers and a lightsaber and some synthrope and...?"

Don't tempt me. I've wanted to do a semi-convincing SW/Hornblower crossover forever and eons. I've seen one here that did a fantastic job crossing over the HH Bookverse. Me, I'd go straight for the Movieverse, because I likes me some purdy sailors...but I wouldn't slash them with any SW characters. I just want to go for the "Bwa?" surreal factor. Era setting...OT, definitely. The possibility of quips being tossed back and forth between Han Solo and Archie Kennedy are simply too good to pass up. Plus, Horatio and Archie have this weird kind of brotherly psychic bond going on, so Luke might get two temporary padawans to start him off in his Master phase.

As for a title, I have no idea. I'd have to write it first.

A Hornblower/Titanic one called "Nothing Much To Lose". Also, "Five Reasons Why Han Quit The Academy", a surprising little SW/Battlestar Galactica crossover that actually works.

7. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    Darth Marrs, Dark Lord of Benefits

Do not question the ways of the Dark Side.

I enjoy crossovers. It is a wonderful way to explore characters by throwing them into a completely new situation. Although universe-to-universe crossovers are nice, I especially enjoy crossovers in which one or two elements come over. Say, like what would happen if Superman actually crash-landed on Tattoine as a child instead of Kansas?

I write what I know. I'm an old man (or at least I feel that way sometimes) so I tend not to read or write manga because I'm just too old to look at it without coughing painfully and turning away (except for Avatar, which only has occasional Manga elements). So I write the older titles. SW. ST. Superman. Stargate. Or Star Wars/Stargate/Star Trek/Roswell/X-Files/Gray's Anatomy all thrown into one.

I know this sounds pretty cheesy, but my own are my favorites. And of those, Legacy of the Red Sun has recently surpassed Gods of Dark and Light as my favorite of mine. But of others--Chuck Sonnenberg's "Best of Both Worlds" epic was staggering in it's scope, and I'm also thoroughly enjoying a crossover on FF.net right now by the Dark Scribbler involving Xander Harris as a Jedi. It worked remarkably well.

Here on the board--Idri's Wizard's School is very enjoyable, and Into the Black is a pretty nifty Flyfly x/over. Plus VaderLVR64 wrote a pretty smart Dune crossover that's a WIP. I mention it just because the subject is so difficult to cross, I think she's done a pretty credible job with it.

8. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    MsLanna, strakravingmad.
    Any questions?

I like crossovers.[face_batting]

I love them when they're good and hate them when they're bad. So no differenc to other stories. :p

I'm actually writing one. Well, I'm procrastinating on it. [face_blush] I crossed Vader with his Star Destroyer crew and Jango Fett over to Pooh land. It's a silly fic, so that's okay. I almost forgot, it's titled 'All Safe Places' taken from a quote of Pooh I just love. (Of all the safer places to be, I don't think this is one.)

Decepticus Rex by Striker. Love the Transformers in the SW universe and the complet retcon of NJO. [face_blush] Trimaj once started a good one called Logical Insanity and featured Spock and Q driving Han insane.

EDIT:

So I tried the challenge - and failed miserably.:oops: I started off well, but I just can't live without tags.[face_worried] And suddenly I needed real descriptive sentences.:_|
    Maybe I should have chosen a character to cross over that can say more than 'chii'.[face_plain]

EDIT2: Okay, so it's up, though not really fitting the challenge.

Human Cyborg Relations

I hope you know Chobits.:p

9. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I need help. It's not really a crossover but I need help from those of you that know the plot of the original Transformers movie. I have this plot bunny but don't know what to do with it. What I do know:

Caedus kills Tenel Ka in an epic showdown, but only because he's brought enough troops to overwhelm her and basically destroy the palace. Amidst the chaos, Isolder and one of TK's nobles escape with Allana and TK's newborn son, whom Jacen doesn't know about. TK also locks all of Allana's childhood memories. The cast and their ANH equivalent

Ben-Tarkin/Imperial Mara/Vader
    Jacen-Vader/Palpy
    Ankalen (TK's son)-Leia
    Allana-Luke
    Isolder-Obi-Wan

The Star Warsy half of the plot: Ankalen's on the run and trying to deliver a message to Prince Isolder from the nobles that took him in and has no idea that he's a prince. Meanwhile, Allana is sorta bored with her life but those around her don't want her to go. Then something drastically changes that and Allana gets the training that she's always wanted.

The Transformers half: Ankalen grows up on the myth/prophecy that the true heir to the Hapan throne would one day return to light their darkest night. He eventually learns that he's TK's son and sorta believes that he might be the rightful heir and plays the Ultra Magnus role when he picks up whatever relic that's equivalent to the matrix, however, he's not the true heir and despite his best attempts, he dies during the darkest hour. A little after that, Allana, the heir, the 'Hot Rod', picks up that relic and takes down the Sith and takes back Hapes.

What I need help on:

Should Allana want to be a Jedi/fighter sort like Luke or should she want to learn Hapan politics and such and face support from Isolder but opposition from the Dathomiri sisters who think that losing Teneniel and TK is enough?

I want there to be some equivalent to the matrix of leadership in this fic, but I don't know what to use. The ability to activate Centerpoint station? Ability to activate Anakin Solo's lightsaber? TK's tiara and gort shell necklace?

Sil, or Caroline.

I like crossovers

like 'em.

Star Wars and Transformers. Title: Starfighters of Cybertron

Decepticus Rex

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm Striker, or Jon. Nice to meet you all. Hmm, better send in my info there.

I like crossovers!

Oh, I love them. They can be the most-original pieces of fiction on the site. And can provide an interesting look into the fandom.

Well, I already have done Sailor Moon and Star Trek. ANd Transformers. I do wanna do a melding with the Princess Bride soon. Oh, and Vampire Princess Miyu. I also wanna do a Borg vs. Vong one.

Devil in the Details by WyoJedi, and Human Cyborg Relations by MsLanna.

Idrelle, I'll try and get to The Wizard's School ASAP.

And Idrelle, Juliet, Lanna and Sil, thank you. [face_blush]

And I'll get to the challenge ASAP as well. So many bunnies, so little time...

11. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Two quick thoughts about crossovers.

1) They are the salvation if you're about to drift to another fandom. Just take the characters you like best and put them into SW, situation saved. At least, that works rather well for me. Of course, people can see where you spend your time, but hey, you're still here.

2) Um. I think I forgot [face_blush] . But I'll edit as soon as I remember.

Well, it hink it had something to do with putting characters into SW or taking SW characters into other universes.[face_thinking]

12. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    A very short SW/Hellraiser dialogue between our boy Palpatine and Pinhead:

The Bargain

Use it for paper training a puppy. It ain't got much worth beyond that. ;)

13. CrossoverIndex

CrossoverIndex Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2007
    Hello all!

It's been a while since you heard from us last, but we have lots of updates! :D First, welcome all new people! I hope more will join us later. :D Oh, and a note to leiamoody -- I can't find your entry for the Challenge, it appears to have a deleted page. :( I was looking forwards to reading it.

Next, the transfer is complete! [face_dancing] All the fics from the old index have been moved to the new one. Also, the several fics that have been PMed to us have been added to the Index.

New Crossover Fics Added to Index (as of December 1, 2007)

AnakinsFavorite's The Five People You Meet in the Force
    JediXManSerenaKenobi's Across the Stars: A Cinderella Story and The Silver Saber
    MsLanna's Human Cyborg Relations
    Darth_Marrs' Blue Sun Down

I apologize for not getting these added sooner. Finding time for fan fic has been extremely difficult lately and I should really be doing homework right now, if the index wasn't sitting on my conscience. ;)

Also, after some discussion, Diamond and I have decided that since there are some really great crossovers out there, we'd like to showcase them off a bit. Crossovers are known for not being the best written pieces of fanfiction in the world, and we'd kind of like to discourage that thought. ;) So, once a month, we'll have a Crossover of the Month -- all chosen from your suggestions. So, over the month of December, PM us your ideas and be sure to tell us why you think a particular fic should be showcased. This will hopefully start in January. :)

And now, a new discussion topic and a new challenge!

[b][color=green]Discussion Two[/color][/b]

As mentioned before, we all know that crossovers are well-known for not always being well-written. If you dig into the crossover section at fanfiction.net, you'll probably find more badly written crossovers than good ones. So, what makes a good crossover? What elements need to be present? How do you deal with characterizations and character interactions?

[hr]

[b][color=purple]Challenge Two[/color][/b]

[i][color=purple]"Sequels"[/color][/i]

This challenge is adapted from a game I play frequently in drama class. Basically, you need to combine two films together and create something that acts as a ?sequel? to both of them, using elements from the two films.

[b]1.[/b] Choose [b]one[/b] of the Star Wars films. If you choose a film that is earlier in the Saga, you can disregard all of the things that happen after it. If you choose a film near the end, keep in mind everything that has happened before it. So, if you choose [i]The Phantom Menace[/i], ignore everything that happens in [i]Attack of the Clones[/i] and the other films. If you choose [i]Return of the Jedi[/i], nothing can contradict canon from the PT films, ANH and ESB.

[b]2.[/b] Select [b]two[/b] films/musicals/books/plays from the following list:

--Alice in Wonderland
    --Sweeney Todd
    --Much Ado About Nothing
    --Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
    --Pride and Prejudice

Notice how nothing is sci-fi? [face_devil]

[b]3.[/b] Take your two selections from the list above and the Star Wars film you chose. Now, write a fic that can act as a sequel to [b]all [u]three[/u] films/musicals/plays/books.[/b] It can be any genre. 750 word minimum.

Extra points if you include a scene where the dialogue consists only of quotes from your selections. :p [face_silly] I've tried to do that before. Not easy. :p

Have fun!

~ Idrelle and Diamond

EDITS -- Idri's playing with markups instead of doing homework. [face_shame_on_you] And she also doesn't know about the preview bu

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    A good crossover... must have substance. I cannot be all bang, no buck.

Let's take SW and ST. How many of them are shoot-em-up Empire vs. Federation that verge on biased hatefic for one or the other side?

Okay, now how many of them have them sitting down and...

talking?

Action is fine, but in SW/ST, it's passe and cliched up the yingyang. How would Ackbar and Picard converse? Would Mara and Will Riker get along? How would the GFFA react to Data or exo-comps? Would the Skywalker/Solo clan like a cajun dinner cooked up by Ben Sisko? How would a conversation betwen Kira Nerys and Leia go?

Have them talk, learn from each other. Not just the Force or transporters, but ways of life and philosophies. And it goes for any other franchise you cross with SW that's not integrated into the GFFA.

15. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    Discussion Two

As mentioned before, we all know that crossovers are well-known for not always being well-written. If you dig into the crossover section at fanfiction.net, you'll probably find more badly written crossovers than good ones. So, what makes a good crossover? What elements need to be present? How do you deal with characterizations and character interactions?

Humourous crossovers, I've found, aren't really the same genre as the more serious ones. There are plenty that are quite good out there. it just has to depend on how well it's written and how true the characters are to their individual fandom given the unique situation they find themselves in.

Serious ones, on the other hand, completely and utterly fail if the rules of both fandoms are not taken into consideration, whether that's in terms of in-'verse setting, characterization, and even the 'how' the plot happens. And I've found the best crossovers have each character put into the new world have something important that relates to the plot. It's relevant and necessary that they are there, not just because some author decided to mash two 'verses together on a whim. There has to be a reason, and the crossed character is the answer to the question.

As for characterizations, I try to keep everyone as in character as possible. It only hurts the story if you don't. For me, there has to be a period of adjustment- this person has found himself in a new place and time and knows absolutely nothing about it. How does he react? How does everyone else around him react? And later, how does his change in enviroment change him as a person? New expierences cause us to evaluate our world in a different way- it should be no different in a story, and that's what I strive to do.

16. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I agreee with Lunas, humourus ones are different. IMO, they are easier, because you don't have to make the universes mesh well, you can do anything for a laugh. I wrote silly ones only as yet, some combinations are a laugh per se, and all you have to do is give the reader ideas.

But if you try a serious crossover you really need substance, as Striker said. There has to be a reason for it happening (storywise), adn tehre has to be a story to be told. One that would not work if you left the crossed over characters out.

And you'd also have to adhere to the rules of good storytelling on top of that.

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm glad to see that some people are participating! :D [face_dancing]

Humourous crossovers, I've found, aren't really the same genre as the more serious ones.

I agree completely. I've written and read both humorous and serious crossovers and they're entirely different beasts to tackle. There's a different approach to humour crossovers than serious ones; I find that there's not as many restrictions on humour crossovers. They're going to be silly -- your readers know this, you know it. You're allowed to do almost anything. The universes don't even have to click together very well, as Lanna said. They can be as crazy and unbelievable and unreasonable as you want them to be because, in the end, it'll end up funny.

One of the hardest things with humourous crossovers, though, is characterization, I think. If you don't treat your characters properly and your characterization is all over the place, then it ruins the effect of the crossover because suddenly the reader doesn't recognize any of the characters. You need to draw a line between having a good laugh and mistreating characterization.

I hope that made sense. 8-}

*runs away to do homework*

18. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Madman. Madman007, at your shervish.

Drunk and tired from typing my lastest story.

I have mixed feelings about crossovers. Most of the ones I have found were too outrageous to believe. I tend not to use them in my own works unless they have definite meaning. The ones that I found are written just for the sake of the crossover. Like the author said lets put this SW character against this Disney character (use your imagination). No purpose except the hype. What I like to see is for an author to say, this character from this movie would fit great into this story.

I have already done one crossover, but is it an official crossover if the readers don't know where the crossover is from. In my Introducing Mary Jane Skyler epic (I'm too lazy now to link it- check my profile), I placed the perfect being in a particular situation. Death from the Sandman series. From Neil Gaiman. (Why do I hear crickets?)
    I just thought of a great crossover that would make sense. I just saw The Golden Compass today, er yesterday, (Recommended, ignore the Catholics and go see it!) and the ideas in the movie parallel the prequel era, or more to the point the Old Republic's Jedi. The perfect title for it would be Dust in the Force. (you'll have to see the movie, or read the book to understand)

Eh, don't have one yet.

Thanks for letting me join in this. There will be a quiz later.

19. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005

I hate to disagree *brentus doesn't really hate to disagree, he just says that to be nice* but I find crossovers quite fun to write and not at all difficult, whether a humorous one or a "serious" one. I've written both and find both quite satisfying and generally easy to do.

I do agree with you, however, in that characterization is key. If your characterization is good, then the universes merge pretty much seamlessly. If your characterization is really good, then the universes seem like they belong together (whether humorous or not), which should be the goal of any crossover writer.

20. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Indeed. I find that even if the writing is good, characterization is THE most important aspect of writing not only crossovers, but fanfiction in general. I've read some well-written fanfiction and even profic, but if the characterization is poor, I think it ruins the whole work. One of the profic novels I read was well-written, but it just wasn't fun to read - the characters didn't act at all like themselves. I know I'm getting off-topic of crossovers, but I just felt the need to say something.

Characterization IS the key to good fanfiction and profic alike. Especially important in crossovers.

- Serena Kenobi

21. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I think, in humorous crossovers you can more easily overdo a character. I mean, emphasising some traits, like Vader continually choking people. If it's supposed to be fun, he might do little else in the whole fic, whereas such behaviour wouldn't work in a serious crossover. He'd have to have the other Vader-characterisitcs there, too.

Ha, so I just remembvered the word was parody. If you write a funny crossover the characters can run around as parodies of themselves. that mioght be easier to do, because you don't have to think so much about if something was in-character or not.

22. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I'll admit that I'm not much of a reader of the silly ones, because, well, I have no sense of humor. I also lie a lot, but I'm not sure that's relevent. But if you're going to mix two franchises, you have to RESPECT both franchises. Respect their rules and respect the characters. Having a Star Destroyer show up and blow up the Enterprise isn't going to be much of a story. If you're going to mix two franchises, it should be because you love both equally, and the story you want to tell demands elements from both. Even more than characters, more than rules, though, there has to be story. IF you don't have a story, then why write it at all?

23. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    What I ask myself. If I ever find an answer, I'll telly ou, Usually, I think, I just hope a story will turn up while I'm dallying around.[face_blush]

I think it would be much easier, if I didn't like silly stuff so much and had some serious franchise to cross over with.[face_thinking]

24. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    That challenge is hard. Then again, challenge doesn't mean easy.

**headdesk**

25. CrossoverIndex

CrossoverIndex Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2007
    New Crossovers Added to Index (As of December 28, 2007)

jedi_of_ennth's Waiting on Gravity, Heartbreak Hotel and Space Pirate Boogie.

We are always looking for new crossovers, so if you see one on the boards or post a new one, let us know! :)

brodiew -- Nothing wrong with a hard challenge. [face_batting] After all, what's the point of an "easy" challenge? :p

If it makes you feel better, the next one will be easier. :D

~Idri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.