main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A mistake with the ending, and possible explanation

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Steampunk Jedi, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steampunk Jedi

Steampunk Jedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    I've only seen the movie once so far, so I may have missed something on the timeline. However, I've noticed what seems to be a pretty big mistake with the ending. Please tell me I'm wrong.

When the Falcon lands after Han's death, I hated the fact that Leia and Chewie didn't embrace. That was Chewie's moment.

What's worse, though, is that Leia embraced Rey, whom she had never met! Rey was captured in the assault before Leia's ship landed. Leia and Rey might have heard of each other through Han, but they never met face-to-face until that moment. So, there was no reason for them to recognize each other, let alone bond over a shared loss.

One possible explanation is that Leia was originally supposed to land before Rey was captured and meet her in person. The clip from the trailer showing Maz handing Leia the lightsaber would support this idea. (It might also explain the new scene where Maz hands the lightsaber to Finn - Han should have taken it, but I digress). Anyway, by making Leia arrive after Rey's capture, they had to reshoot the scene with Maz, and inadvertently create the problem with the Leia/Rey scene later.

If you want a story-based explanation - perhaps Leia recognizes Rey as either her daughter or Luke's daughter and embraces her. Still doesn't explain dissing Chewie, though. :-(

So, can anyone please point out where I've got this wrong? It's really been bothering me.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    There is an existing discussion about the end of the film. We would be honored if you would join us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.