main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A modeler's dream ?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JEDIBYKNIGHT, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Hey guys

I just got a scanner a couple of weeks ago. And about two months ago here in France, Lucasfilm has begun selling what they call "Star Wars Official Files". These are files about characters, locations and stuff. But there are also files about vehicles, and I was looking at them and wondering if they could be of any help to anyone who would like to model Star Wars vehicles themselves.

Here is scan of the X-Wing page

I thought they could help some people here because I think they are pretty good detailed and are presented on grids.

So here's my question : do you think those are worth a website ? Would it help you ?

2. Sandy

Sandy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2002
    I would find these most useful. Larger is better BTW. I am a part-time computer modeler/animator and love this sort of thing.

Sandy

3. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    Alright, I'll scan them all, then.

FYI, "larger is better"... Yeah. The original scan for that X-Wing was 200 Mb big. :)

What size would you consider too big ?

4. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    over 10 megs for one picture seems to big for me

5. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I wouldn't make them any bigger than 1600x1200. I would make two versions actually. A super hi-res and a hi-res.

6. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    JBK, this is good stuff!

PS. Get on AIM!

7. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Iyidin_Kyeimo Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2000
    Wow, that looks fantastic, how comprehensive is it?

btw, if you're using a pic as a background in a moddeling app, you only want a medium sized image or ele you'll be running into difficulty when you zoom in. looking at it elsewhere, however bigger is better.

They'd definately be a help though, you can never have too much (accurate) referance.

8. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    Well, I chose the X-Wing as an example because -to me- it represents a pretty good detailed wire model (is that how it's called ?).
    Some of them are not that detailed. But they look alright anyway. Just give me some time to scan them properly (I'm still trying to figure out what res to use).

Here's a list of the vehicles I already have. I get about 4 a month in the mail.

¤ Naboo Royal (Queen's) Starship (TPM)
    ¤ Naboo N-1 Starfighter
    ¤ Anakin's Podracer
    ¤ Sith Infiltrator
    ¤ Stap
    ¤ X-Wing
    ¤ Imperial Star Destroyer
    ¤ Millenium Falcon
    ¤ Tantive IV (Blockade Runner)
    ¤ Tie Fighter
    ¤ AT-AT Walker
    ¤ Mon Calamari Star Cruiser
    ¤ A-Wing
    ¤ Sebulba's Podracer
    ¤ Bongo
    ¤ Swoop bike (ANH type in Mos Eisley)
    ¤ Jedi Starfighter

Coming soon in the mail : Sandcrawler, Trade Federation Landing Ship, + 6 other I still have to find out about.

I also got some droids available : Imperial Mark IV Sentry Droid, FX-7 ( SW.com entry), Astromech Droid, MSE-6 droid (SW.com entry).

Last thing : I just noticed I had a couple of models for "technology stuff" : Sabacc droid, DL-44 Blaster (Han's blaster), Blastech E-11 blaster (Stormtrooper's gun), ESB Hoth electrobinoculars (apparently called "Neuro-Saav TD2.3 model"), GX-8 Moisture Vaporators.

That's all for now... :)

I'm slowly working on scanning and uploading them.

9. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey JBK

I think these are the things I get. they're called The Offical Star Wars Fact File, and together they go into a binder and make this big old book right?

I remember scanning ObiWan's jedi fighter for Buliwif a while ago, they're pretty useful resource...

10. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    Yep, must be the same thing ! :)

However, if you already scanned the Jedi Starfighter sheet, the order in which we get them must not be the same. I just got the Jedi Starfighter two days ago.

For how long have you been getting those ? The French version got out in... March 2002, I think.

11. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I can't remember. But I'm on Issue 29 now. They started off being really good, but gradually there is more and more 'Comic book' content in every issue.

The latest blueprint at the back is Anakins Airspeeder.

12. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    Mmmmm... the latest I got was issue 21. You're a bit ahead of me. But you seem to have more interesting entries (Anakin's Airspeeder).

It is true that they contain a bit too much of EU info to my taste.

So do you guys think this would give my website a lot of visits ? Cause I only have 2 Gb of bandwith per month, so I don't want to screw it. Maybe a website like Sci-Fi 3D could host the .jpg files ?

13. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    hey you wouldnt happen to have an AT-PT in the collection would u? :p

14. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    AT-PT... That's the new one from AOTC, right ? I don't have it -yet-. Maybe Daft does...

15. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    Ok so my computer was having problems lately and I finally got it fixed.

Here's the X-Wing page in its final form, but I got a question : is it big enough for a high res version ?

Check it out here

16. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    ::GASP::

You stole my star!

MEANIE! :mad:

¤Night

17. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    Heh, sorry. :)