main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA A Moment of Silence For Tower

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Bith_Lord, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Jeez, the store I go to more than any other is closing down. Movies, Music, Books - the holy trinity of fanboyness.

I've been going there since I was a kid back when main thing they sold WAS records. Where now will I go to on Christmas Day to escape goofy family friends and relatives to spend my gift certificates?

It was also the only place that carried Beatlefan magazine!

Anyway, their books are 20% off so if there's any Star Wars titles you need, they say you have about six weeks. I picked up the Original Trilogy Visual Dictionary.

2. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    [observing moment of silence]

3. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    One of my fellow troopers, Clint, was manager at the bookstore. He told me this weekend about the liquidation. :(
    I never went there, but any bookstore closing is sad.
    *shakes fist at Borders and other big name bookstores*

4. Jedidoria

Jedidoria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2006
    Sigh...this is so sad. Growing up in podunk Delaware (thanks for the complex, Bith Lord) we didn't have very many good record stores so my friends and I would hijack a family car and head to Philly to go to Tower. It was the mecca of all record stores. We were totally into all the "girly-man" bands -- Duran Duran, Wham! and the like -- and Tower always had Japanese imports and European magazines and all sorts of cool and different stuff that we could buy and drool over. I am sad to see Tower go...I have to admit though, I haven't bought anything from Tower in many, many years. If I want music, I usually buy it on Amazon. Maybe it's my fault!!! :_|

5. Enzerumo

Enzerumo Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2005
    they used to sell FX sabers too and at good prices.

6. Avalyn07

Avalyn07 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Yes so sad. I have fond memories of my time in line waiting to buy concert tix. In turn I made many friends that lead me to meet some of my favorite idols of the day. I didn't buy that many records at Tower however.(No it's not my fault they are closing.)I went to Undergrounds records though. Pretty much every day to buy some new mix or Razzormaid. I was nuts for records. I still have a turntable and listen to them now and then. Good times long gone but the feeling never goes away.
    Are there records in heaven?O:)

7. JediDarkNight

JediDarkNight Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2005
    That's right, Tower is, unfortunately, coming to an unfortunate fall (to make reference to one of the stories of my favourite classic author, Edgar Allen Poes, the Fall of the House of Usher).

It was sad when I found that out in the Sunday edition of the Sac Bee last Sunday. So shocking.

(No wonder why I couldn't find any Meco CDs there the last time I went. Meco Malardo, the rock/disco artist who did the disco version of the theme song to the first Star Wars film; my favourite sci fi geek pop song artist!)

--Jedi Dark Night

8. Avalyn07

Avalyn07 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    That is a good book. There use to be an incredible Goth/Industrial club in San Francisco. It was back in the 90's called the "House or Usher".

Star Wars, Meco hum I might have that. Next time we have a gathering I will play it for ya.

9. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I was shocked and sad when I heard this. Little by little my childhood is disappearing. From the theaters like the Geneva Drive-In (where I first saw Star Wars), the Coronet, the Northpoint; and toy stores like Toys R Us and FAO Schwarz; and now this!

But it helps when you know someone high on the ladder at Tower. I got a whopping "discount" of 90-95% off today and made a killing! [face_shhh] I even got some SW books and a new Meco CD of more music inspired by SW, mostly the prequels. :-B

10. Nasus_Sivad

Nasus_Sivad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2006
    We also have the Meco Record. We have been planning to buy the turntable that you can hook to your computer so we can burn them onto CD's to enjoy the music more often. Some of the best stuff is on the records. :) Many memories anyways.

I also remember the Tower concert line but it was with my pre-teen daughters at 5:00 am trying to get (are you ready for this) New Kids on The Block tickets. :) Got good ones, too. According to the daughters. :) I'm sure glad they are now all grown and out of this stage. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.