main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion a more personal film

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by obiman, Jun 27, 2013.

1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The PT was... the OT was, the ST will be.

Dra--- likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    So something else like that in the ST?

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Maybe, though personally I doubt it. I think the ST is going to get way from the politics and will just focus on inter-stellar conflict.

4. obiman

obiman Jedi Master

Sep 22, 2000
    Nobody could argue that the star wars universe could be a total mess in ep 7. But it doesn't HAVE to be. A movie based on a smaller problem (jedi training)with wide scale events in ep8 and 9 would seem possible.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I LOVED the politics in the PT.

6. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

Personally I didn't. I thought they were half cooked at best and in TPM really damaged the pacing of the movie by inserting lengthy sequences of constant exposition. I know a lot of other people didn't like the politics in the movies either because it's part of the stigma surrounding the PT, something that Disney seem very keen on brushing off with these new movies.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't see any reason why action sequences shouldn't be interrupted. I also feel that the rise of Palpatine is underappreciated.

8. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

There's a difference between respite from action and bringing the pacing to a screeching halt. The thing is there is nothing wrong with the basic outline of the political intrigue, but the lack of meaty details to the politics just leaves it rather flat and boring for me and could have been better served in a movie dedicated to itself rather than taking up screen time in a kids action flick.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Again, the rise of Palpatine.

WatTamborWoo and EviL_eLF like this.
  10. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Personally I think that they could make a personal character driven movie, but still keep the epic war conflict still in it. Heck, it's already happened before. Of course I am talking of Episode 5 here.

In 5, the war is still huge, but because it was a middle story it focused a lot more on emotions and drama than most of the other films. And it worked very well, so well that in 5 the characters feel so very human. This is partly why I think 5 is so popular amongst the fans. It's just that the characterization is so human, lending the film a feeling of class that is hard to find in the other films.

Needless to say, I'd love to see them go the way of episode 5 in terms of characterization. This could be possible considering Arndt is writing the script. He did a fantastic job for toy story 3, here's hoping he can do it again.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm still waiting for WWIII...

12. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    That's fine... because essentially WWI could have been called WWII and WWII could have been called WWIII as the American Revolution was essentially WWI... as that was truly a global war... not just a war on American soil as you are led to believe.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Huh? Is every war ever truly a global war? I'm honestly confused.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Wait I thought we already had WWIII... when the prequels were released. :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    No, not every war. The American Revolution sure as hell was.

Battles took place in Eastern North America, Gibraltar, Balearic Islands, Central America;
    French, Dutch, and British colonial possessions in the Indian subcontinent, Africa and elsewhere;
    European coastal waters, Caribbean Sea, Atlantic and Indian Oceans

Fighting with the American colonists were France, Dutch Republic, Spain and the Kingdom of Mysore.

The British had German military on paid loan from Germany.

That is why the Americans won, Britain fighting at every territory around the globe could not send reenforcements to the Colonies. Had that not been a global conflict, this would not be an independent nation from Britain.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Woah...

17. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I absolutely LOVE history! WWII history is my favorite, but give me any intense period of the past and I can read up on it endlessly! ;)

18. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm not sure how you can get more personal than the Prequels. They were hyper-personal.

19. Poli-Sci Jedi

Poli-Sci Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2013

I think those politics scenes needed to be a bit boring and drawn out because Lucas was trying to emphasize that Amidala could not find a political solution to the Trade Federation invasion. Remember, she is a pacifist and naive and initially believed in the Republic. The politics scenes showed us that the Republic couldn't be relied upon. Could they have been done quicker or more efficiently? Sure. But I think they served a purpose.

20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    My guess is that spin offs will delve into more personal films that have less impact on the galactic scale.
    The main trilogies have always been, and should remain, about events that shape the fate and future of the entire galaxy.

Darth Chiznuk and EviL_eLF like this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Considering that the Clone Wars was the first galaxy-wide conflict in 1000 years, unconnected galaxy-wide conflicts within Luke's lifetime would be too coincidential.

22. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Disagree. I think the 1000yrs of peace just means that when the peace ends, it ends hard and it will be a long time of turmoil before peace can settle in for anymore than a decade or so.

The water has been mucked up now, it will take a LONG TIME to settle.

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    But that would be connected. I was talking about UNconnected.

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    To be fair the most recent Abrams film had a totally gratuitous, fanboy pandering shot of a female character standing there in her underwear. That's kind of, er, personal, from a certain point of view...

25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't care, as long as it has feeling and heart to it; that's all I really ask for. The Prequels were sorely missing those two crucial elements. What's done is done, so be it. Let's hope they don't make the same mistake again.