main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Mother's Love - (AU, Anakin, Obi-Wan & Shmi) Epilogue added 12th Jan (Complete)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by hlc88, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    So exciting to catch up on these chapters after the holidays. I love how everyone was able to contribute to Anakin, especially Obi-Wan's help. Even with Obi-Wan dying, I do like this ending for Palpatine better. :) Great updates--looking forward to what they do next!

2. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    what will be the ramifications for killing Palpatine? How many Senators will believe Anakin was acting in self defense and that Palpatine was a bad guy?[face_nail_biting]

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ummm, slicing a Sith in half is no longer fatal, you know (re: Maul, TCW).

My noble Obi-Wan! :_| If the Force doesn't "save" him, please give us teeth gnashing and hair pulling on the survivor's part, 'k? He deserves a crowd bawling over his body.

4. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Terrific! Don't like dead Obi, but since it helped Anakin stay true to the Jedi, I guess I can forgive. :) Loving this story. Can't wait for the next chapter.

5. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    well,that's better.at least Anakin got rid of Papatine/Sidious.serves him right to get the same treatment Maul did.how ironic.I'll be looking forward to the next chapters.hopefuly Obi doesn't die.:(

6. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Luna_Nightshade Thank you, I'm very glad you liked this! :)

Jedi_Liz That will be dealt with in the next chapter after this one.

Valairy Scot Heh, Maul's survival in TCW doesn't happen in this universe and Anakin didn't cut Palpatine in half, he cut him straight down the chest, so basically he cut through his heart. As for Obi-Wan.... *grins*

JediMaster_Jen Thank you! I hope you like this chapter!

roguegirl I hope you enjoy this chapter! :)

- - - - -

Chapter Thirty-Four

Anakin turned away from the smoking form before him, his eyes meeting that of his family. But his eyes fell down to the figure on the floor. He walked over to them, deactivating the lightsaber blade he held in his right hand. His family knew not to speak to him as he approached Obi-Wan’s pale and still body.

Sinking to his knees, Anakin rested a hand on his Master’s chest. Though the evidence was in front of him, he could not believe that his Master was truly gone. A tear slipped down his cheek as he took Obi-Wan’s hand in his own. It was cold.

Someone rubbed his back, and he glanced up to see his mother kneeling beside him. He leaned into her embrace, nearly sobbing, letting the tears fall from his eyes. “Why did he have to die?”

“He chose to Ani…” whispered his mother. “It helped you…”

Anakin coughed. “But he shouldn’t have done… He is my best friend, my brother!” He blinked, trying to wipe away the tears. “He’s family!” He knew he wasn’t acting like a Jedi, that he should be celebrating the idea that Obi-Wan was at peace with the Force, but he couldn’t think like that. Obi-Wan was dead.

No more would he feel Obi-Wan’s presence inside his mind, no longer would he have that connection with his Master. It was broken…

But then…

A tendril…

He startled.

No…

He thought he had felt something then as he contemplated the bond.

Unconsciously he had reached out for it… and he had brushed against something.

His heart quickening, he reached out intentionally, searching for the bond he and Obi-Wan shared.

A single wisp remained.

His breathing hitched to a stop and his eyes widened as he considered the ramifications of his discovery.

“Ani?” his mother had noticed the change in his posture. “What is it?”

“Obi-Wan is still alive,” he whispered, hardly daring to believe it. “Our bond is still there… it is still intact.” He looked up, aware that there was hope in his eyes as he took in the shocked faces of Ahsoka, Padmé and his mother. His hand remained gripped around Obi-Wan’s.

“But Master,” frowned Ahsoka, “I sense no life-force from him.”

Anakin shook his head. “You wouldn’t. He’s so far gone… there is barely a whisper remaining. He’s hanging on, just.”

“But I thought he gave you his Force power,” said Padmé quietly.

“He did,” replied Anakin, “but I didn’t want him to die. It’s either me or him keeping his spirit here.”

“Giving you his Force power, what does that mean?” asked Shmi curiously. She understood the concept of it, but it was the inner intricacies of it that she could not grasp. “Is he still Force-sensitive?”

“He is still Force-sensitive, but he sent me his power for me to use,” answered Anakin. “He gave it to me so he didn’t have any to try to keep himself alive. I think I can give it back to him, maybe… I don’t know.” A worried looked crossed his face. The tiny tendril he had felt was fading, bit by bit. If he lost that last part of their bond, Obi-Wan would truly be gone.

His Master’s body was barely functioning. There was hardly any life left in it. His heart slowly pumped, twice per minute. To all intents and purposes, Obi-Wan Kenobi was dead, save for the tendril that still existed between Anakin and him, keeping him in the world.

“I can save him,” said Anakin, determination filling his voice. “He saved me. I need to return the favour.” He closed his eyes and sunk into the Force, searching for the remaining tendril, finding it, and grasping it within his own mind. The tendril was weak, fading quickly, yet Anakin would not give up. He would not lose his Master, his brother.

Goodbye…

Obi-Wan’s voice echoed through his mind.

“NO!” Anakin felt desperation clawing within him. “No! I won’t lose you!” He plunged deeper, trying to keep a hold onto the failing bond. Obi-Wan had waited to say goodbye, had remained for him. Wet tears stung his face, both his hands grasping Obi-Wan’s physical body, trying to pull him back. To keep him from the light that wanted to welcome him home.

But he couldn’t clasp the tendril again and it faded even more, the words ‘goodbye’ echoing over and over from it.

“Master! It’s too late!” Ahsoka was shaking him, dragging him back into the real world. She was kneeling beside him, tearful too. She had placed one hand on Anakin’s left hand, guiding it to Obi-Wan’s chest. For a whole minute his heart didn’t beat… and then there was one small, but faint beat remaining. “You can’t bring him back…”

Anakin hung his head. He couldn’t admit defeat. He was the Chosen One. How was it fair that he could defeat the Sith Lord but couldn’t save his brother? Surely the Chosen One should be able to achieve impossible feats? Surely he had the power to restore Obi-Wan, or at least give him more time to get him to a healer? Why was he blessed with such strong bonds if he could not utilise them to save those he loved most?

The truth of the matter was yelling at him. Obi-Wan was gone. His spirit had moved on, but his body was still alive, though rapidly declining. Anakin closed his eyes and sought once more for that one last tendril. It was even further away than before. He could do this, he had to!

But as he reached for that last remaining part of the bond, it broke away, fading into nothingness.

“NO!” Tears leaked from Anakin’s eyes. He opened his eyes and stared up at his three companions. “I… I lost him.”

“Anakin…” Padmé leaned forward and rested her head on Anakin’s shoulder, her eyes focused upon the body of the Jedi Master. “I’m so sorry…”

Anakin nodded numbly, his hand not leaving Obi-Wan’s limp, cold one. “I know…”

“I’m sorry to interrupt but…” Ahsoka reached for Padmé’s arm. “But your comlink is going off.”

Padmé reached down to her belt and retrieved it. Excusing herself she moved away and whispered quietly. She returned a few minutes later. “Ani,” she said, crouching down beside him, and resting a hand on his back. “I have to go. Bail has been successful. The clone attack on the Jedi Temple has been halted for now. Bail needs me there to help him. My own status as a traitor has been rescinded. Do you want me to report about Palpatine’s death?”

Anakin raised his head slowly. “Only if it is the right thing to do. If the Jedi have a stray of execution for now, perhaps it is not the best time to make an announcement that Palpatine is dead. That could cause the order to be reactivated.” His voice was dull and without any emotion. His eyes appeared dead. “But if Bail judges it to be the right time, tell them about him being a Sith Lord. We’ll have to find evidence to back up our claims… I suspect Mas Amedda has been well aware of the Chancellor’s true identity for years.”

“I will tell him,” promised Padmé. “We’ll sort this mess out.”

“Take Ahsoka with you for protection. Just in case.”

Padmé didn’t even protest. She knew it would be fallacy to do so, so soon after Obi-Wan’s death.

Anakin didn’t even watch her leave.
    - - - - -

Shmi Skywalker continued to sit beside her son after Ahsoka and Padmé had left. Her cheeks were wet with the trail of tears.

“I thought I could bring him back,” he whispered. His shoulder’s sagged. “But I can’t do it. He’s gone. His heart no longer beats.”

Shmi cast her eyes over Obi-Wan’s body. The gaping wound in his abdomen was a sight to behold, the stench of burnt flesh mingled in the air. She knew how much this man meant to her son. She couldn’t let him give up even if it seemed unlikely he’d survive.

“Ani,” she grasped her son’s shoulder, “I know you can save him. I believe in you.”

“But…” he sounded deflated, not even looking at his mother as he tried to feebly protest.

“You share a bond I do not understand and could never have. I’ve seen it used, you can go so deep into it that your minds meld together even I don’t get how and why you can. You two are a team. You can bring him back. If he’s still there, I know you can bring him back.” She lifted her son’s chin and turned his head so they were looking at one another. “I love him like I love you. He is a part of my family though I can’t really explain how he is to me. Obi-Wan is like a son, but also a brother like you see him, and sometimes he is the wise old uncle…” she smiled sadly.

“I’ve tried, he’s gone. The bond has shattered!” retorted Anakin, feeling angry.

“What does your heart tell you?” Her words to Anakin from so long ago, came back with a force.

“What?” he questioned. He shook his head when she did not reply. He closed his eyes and spoke softly. “It tells me that I can still save him.”

“Then you can,” she reassured him. “You are the Chosen One, Ani. You have more potential than any other Jedi known. If the dark side cannot save people, perhaps the light side can. Use it. I believe in you. I have faith.” She leaned back, watching Anakin’s reactions.

Whether it was down to being pressured or he felt he really did have the chance, Anakin leaned forward, but instead of placing his hands on Obi-Wan’s chest, he placed them on the man’s cheeks. “I can do this,” he said fiercely.

Without any hesitation Shmi placed a hand on her son’s shoulder, willing him to succeed, thinking about the love she held for the two men. She knew she wasn’t Force sensitive but Anakin could sense her feelings sometimes, she hoped he’d pick up on what she was trying to project. She didn’t watch, she merely closed her eyes, breathing calmly as she waited.
    - - - - -

His mother’s words had strengthened him. His heart told him Obi-Wan could be saved. He refused to believe the physical evidence in front of him. His Master’s soul was on the line. He could bring him back.

Anakin plunged into the Force, seeking for any sign of his Master. Their bond had broken yet it still felt that Obi-Wan lingered. Or his essence at least. He could see the shattered remains of their bond in his mind. His own heart was hurting from the pain he was in.

And then he felt his mother’s love coursing down her bond with him. She was projecting those feelings to him, and within it he could sense the love she held for Obi-Wan. He used that, taking those feelings and grabbing the first piece of the shattered bond, mentally pulling it together with a second piece. He wound the Force round it, willing it to stitch back together, to allow him this one small miracle.

When it didn’t break the two pieces again, he reached for the third and fourth piece, repeating the same exercise over and over. Slowly but surely Anakin built up the bond, his mother’s love coursing through him, willing him on in his endeavour to save his brother. With the bond rebuilt, Anakin purged into it, using the Force to light it up, to make it come alive.

The Force power that Obi-Wan had given Anakin in his final moments flowed out of him, setting the bond on fire, coursing through it, and going straight back into Obi-Wan’s body.

And then, on the precipice of the rebuilt bond, Anakin’s soul connected with Obi-Wan Kenobi’s soul.

Anakin reached out. Come home!

He summoned all the power he possessed, carrying his mother’s love as well in the direction where Obi-Wan resided.

Anakin?

The voice in his head felt marvellous. Obi-Wan’s familiar tones stretched across the Force.

Master Obi-Wan.

Confusion was apparent from Obi-Wan. Shouldn’t I be dead?

Yes, but I’m not letting you die. Nor will my mother let me give up on you.

I’m already dead, Anakin. You are stepping perilously close to the edge of life itself.

Anakin wouldn’t take that as an answer. No. I’ve rebuilt our bond.

Impossible.

I’m the Chosen One. You gave me enough power to achieve that.

He then felt a response as instead of Anakin reaching for Obi-Wan it was the other way around, with the older man seeking Anakin. He opened himself up, a shining beacon in the Force, welcoming his brother home, back to the place where he should be.

Obi-Wan’s soul was torn, hurt badly by the injuries he had suffered physically, but there was a proud tint to his essence that told Anakin how much his brother was happy for his apprentice. There was also sadness, as if he had accepted that his time was over, that he had to move on, that he had achieved his life’s goal in training Anakin and aiding him in that moment of need.

No, your work isn’t finished, said Anakin gently. In fact it has barely begun. What about all the other younglings that need a respectable teacher like you? I’m sure Padmé and I will have children. There’s got to be a Kenobi to train my offspring.

I’m not training any future generations of Skywalker’s. That’ll be Ahsoka’s job and besides they have you, came the response, slightly riddled with humour.

You know my intentions. You know I’m going to leave the Jedi Order to be with Padmé.

What about Ahsoka? Are you forgetting your commitment to her?

Of course not, retorted Anakin.

You don’t have to worry about leaving the Jedi Order to be with Padmé, Anakin. I am, after all, privy to certain decisions regarding the future of the Order. He said that in the hope that Anakin would accept that Obi-Wan would not be coming back with him, that his time had passed.

Anakin felt hope rise within him. What had the Council been discussing? But Obi-Wan remained quiet, his essence still floating between the doorway to life and death. Obi-Wan’s injuries were severe, he knew that, but there was always hope that he could be healed.

If I come back I may never be the same again, Obi-Wan seemed to be reading Anakin’s mind which had always been one of his best traits when they had formed their strong bond.

I know you will recover. If I can pull you back from this state, I can help you again. We’re brothers. If the Force didn’t want us to remain together, would it allow this miracle? asked Anakin. It was impossible what Anakin was being able to do, what he had achieved with the aid of his mother’s love. You’re meant to live.

And then, Anakin felt Obi-Wan’s presence draw closer to his.

A hand reached out in the ethereal quality of the bond, forming into the body shape of Obi-Wan Kenobi. He looked whole as Anakin cast his eyes over him. Here in this space, in this area of the Force that few could ever venture, they were reunited.

Reaching out his own hand, Anakin took the ghostly palm and pulled him forwards.

Your mother is here to.

I know. My mother’s love helped me save you, smiled Anakin.

They retreated along the bond, out of the space between worlds, Anakin aiding Obi-Wan’s spirit when he needed to, boosting his strength as they neared the end of the ethereal plane that would take them back into their physical bodies.

Their bond pulsed between them and then their consciousness veered off, Anakin going back to his physical self and Obi-Wan to his. Before leaving the comfort of the bond, Anakin sent a wave of healing Force energy after his Master. He had never been trained to heal but it seemed to come naturally to him there.

Anakin ascended and opened his eyes.
    - - - - -

When Shmi heard the unmistakeable sound of someone coughing, her eyes flew open. Her son was leaning over Obi-Wan, who was coughing as he tried to breathe in the precious air that had been denied him. His body was shaking with the effort, and Anakin helped to sit him, rubbing his back. Shmi was about to protest to Anakin’s moving of Obi-Wan with that injury, but her eyes went down to his stained tunic and the wound that the Jedi Master had received was nothing more than a scar.

Shmi’s hand grabbed her son’s arm. “Ani… his wound…”

Anakin glanced down and his eyes widened. “What the…?”

Obi-Wan finally stopped coughing. “Well, that was uneventful.” He looked around his surroundings noting the shocked expressions on Shmi and Anakin’s faces. He too then glanced down and he saw the no-longer gaping hole that had filled his belly. “Oh… oh…”

“I think… I think I did that,” whispered Anakin. “I must have done…” He turned to his mother. “Did you see anything?”

She shook her head. “No I didn’t. I kept my eyes closed; just thinking of my love for you, hoping that it would help.”

“It did help,” smiled Anakin. “You helped me bring Obi-Wan back. He was too stubborn to come back on his own.”

Obi-Wan frowned. “I guess you were right. This wasn’t my time to die. The Force gave us a miracle because this shouldn’t have happened.” He fixed his former apprentice with a hard glare. “Anakin, you know you should have let me go.”

Anakin stuck out his tongue. He hadn’t done that in years. “I followed my instincts. They told me you were still alive.”

“It could have been your attachment to me making you not believe the truth,” added Obi-Wan.

Shmi sighed. “Obi-Wan, I believed it to and I’m not Force-sensitive am I?”

The Jedi Master hung his head. “No…”

“Besides this is probably something you and the Council can debate when you are next in session,” smiled Shmi. “My Ani has achieved impossible feats. Destroying the Sith and bringing you back…” She wanted to hug him but didn’t want to hurt him.

“I know.”

She settled with putting an arm around Obi-Wan. “Do you want to get up?”

“I would. I may have missed what has been going on while I’ve been ‘dead’ so I would like to be caught up,” he noted, glancing at Anakin.

Shmi helped Anakin lift Obi-Wan to his feet. She tried to avoid looking at Palpatine’s body by the wall but she saw the Jedi’s eyes drawn to the crumpled form

“Well, Anakin, you were thorough,” commented Obi-Wan.

“I try to be, Master,” smirked Anakin. “Do you think you can walk?”

“If I’m completely healed then I assume so,” replied Obi-Wan knowingly. “Though I can understand why you might want to –”

Shmi caught Obi-Wan as his legs crumpled beneath him as he tried to stand. “Are you ok?”

“Just feel a bit weak. A guess being brought back from the dead took a lot out of me,” replied Obi-Wan.

Anakin had his eyes closed, examining the Force bond, Shmi guessed.

“There is nothing wrong with you as far as I can tell…” mused Anakin, “though it is just general weakness. Your body seems to be compensating for the amount of energy you spent. You will probably just need to sleep it off.”

“I hope so,” replied Obi-Wan. “I’m not staying here with that body. The last thing I want to remember is his glowing, yellow hate-filled eyes relishing in making me suffer when he stabbed me.” He shuddered. “I’m glad you didn’t take the easy route, Anakin, and try for revenge.”

“Your faith in me kept me strong,” replied Anakin, wetting his lips with his tongue. “You taught me well, Master.”

Shmi smiled at that. She was truly grateful for what Obi-Wan had done for her son. He had taught him the Jedi values, had kept him in the light side even when it became clear that the Sith sought her son’s power. She owed a lot more to this man who had simply made a request to free her. With Anakin’s help, they both led Obi-Wan away from the Chancellor’s Office and towards, where they hoped, would be the end of the clone war.

To be continued…

Please let me know what you think!

So, I, err, killed Obi-Wan did I? :D To be fair, Obi-Wan did actually die. Shmi helped Anakin perform a miracle through her love for the both of them. Sounds a bit corny but I do think as the Chosen One, Anakin would be able to perform things a normal Jedi wouldn't be able to do. His very strong and interlinked bond with Obi-Wan which I've built up is the only reason why he is capable of doing this, but it was because of Shmi as well. Next chapter will be posted on Wednesday 9th January!

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    HLC88 -- thank you thank you thank you for this update! @};- @};- [:D] Me and Valairy thank you LOL :relief: !!

Valairy Scot likes this.
  8. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Well thank goodness Obi-Wan is alive! had me worried there for a moment. I love how you've managed to stay true to Anakin's nature even though he doesn't turn in this fic. Well done.

9. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    wow....wow...wowwee.....

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][:D]

I suspected you'd go something like this, I did, but suspecting is not knowing. Well done, well done - and thanks!

roguegirl and Jade_eyes like this.
  11. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    Yay for Obi-Wan surviving! I liked the "thorough" remark. Glad that they're going to get to see the post-Clone War universe together! Great update.

12. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    You know,it would have been interesting if Obiwan had a conversation with QuiGon while ' dead'. But, ,yay,Obiwan is back and Palpatine is dead.wonder what Captain Rex will think of that?Commander Cody too.

13. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    Looking forward to next chapter.

14. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    Jade_eyes I thought you both would like this chapter! :D

JediMaster_Jen Thank you! I could never permanently kill off Obi-Wan! (well I don't think I could anyway but there is always a first time!)

Jedi_Liz Here is the next chapter!

Valairy Scot I'm glad you liked it! :)

Luna_Nightshade Thank you!

roguegirl At least one of your queries about the clones will be answered...

- - - - -

Chapter Thirty-Five

On the way to meet Bail in the Senate Chamber, Padmé and Ahsoka had visited the security centre in the hope of finding a tape that could prove their allegations about the former Chancellor’s true identity.

They were in luck.

It was policy for the Chancellor’s office to be monitored at all times, however there was only a record of today’s events, which suggested that Palpatine ensured that any data collected was erased every single day, so if he had been involved in any scrupulous activities that day, they would pose no problem for him. He probably also wiped the guards memories to ensure he was not caught.

However, Anakin’s entire confrontation with the Chancellor had been recorded. That was all the evidence they needed to prove that killing the Chancellor was the only way to remove the threat he posed. They were also lucky that the tape involved Palpatine’s order of the extermination of the Jedi Order which would help Bail’s case in lifting the execution order entirely.

Once downloading the data, Padmé and Ahsoka raced along the corridor towards the junction that was reserved for the Naboo senator. Free from the risk of arrest, Padmé did not worry about any disguises, instead she rushed into the pod, keyed a few buttons and entered the Senate chamber.

Ahsoka stood by her side, arms crossed against her chest, watchful for any threat. They didn’t know what had happened to Ventress as they hadn’t come across her on their way back to the chamber.

No one stood in the centre of the Senate hall, not even Mas Amedda who was conspicuously absent. It seemed Bail Organa was conducting the meeting from his one pod, broadcasting his voice out into the Senators that had remained, seeking their support of the Jedi Order. He noticed Padmé waiting silently, and called her to the stand.

Moving her pod out into the open, Padmé stood up and cast her eyes around the chamber. “Fellow Senators, I have obtained proof of the former Chancellor’s betrayal of the Republic! He is a Sith Lord! A Force user like the Jedi but he doesn’t work for others, he works for himself! For years now he has been manipulating us, using the Senate as a means to execute his plan to destroy the Jedi Order once and for all, and to turn this grand Republic into an Empire ruled by him and him alone!” She took in a deep breath and continued. “He ordered the destruction of the Jedi Order and accelerated his plans when he discovered that a few of us had gotten wind of his true identity. Nearly a year and a half ago, on Geonosis, a Jedi Knight, Obi-Wan Kenobi,” it hurt to say his name knowing that he was dead, “learnt the horrid truth that a Sith Lord had influence in the Senate and was in league with the Separatists! As you all know, the Separatists planned to execute this Jedi Knight, but they failed because we acted quickly enough to save him, but we gave the Supreme Chancellor powers to begin this war, a war that he has set up through careful planning!”

She navigated the pod around the room, seeking the faces of all her comrades. “It is only through the work of a Jedi Knight – Anakin Skywalker – who was not slated for execution despite being a Jedi, that we discovered that Chancellor Palpatine was the Sith Lord! Palpatine has been playing both sides, manipulating the war from every angle! He is a traitor to the Republic!”

Should she reveal what Anakin had done? Should she inform the Senate of Palpatine’s death? Protocol demanded that she lay down all the facts but if she did so, the Senate could vote to have Anakin imprisoned for acting on his own without the knowledge or backing of the Republic Senate.

“You have to tell them. They will find out anyway when they view this tape,” whispered Ahsoka, sounding wiser than her fourteen years of age.

Padmé sighed. The young Jedi was correct. “As of now, Chancellor Palpatine is dead.” Her eyes swept over the Senators, seeing their reactions change to surprise and horror, and some to even outrage, but she pressed forward in her speech, determined to not be interrupted. “He tried to kill Anakin Skywalker when he refused to join him at his side in his Galactic Empire he sought to create. He tried to have my murdered, as well as Knight Skywalker’s mother who spoke to the Senate earlier today! Our benevolent leader,” she almost spat, “coldlessly rejoiced at murdering Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi with his own power!” She glanced to Ahsoka to hold up the data-chip. “In this chip, it shows this confrontation. It proves, without a doubt, that Palpatine is evil! Anakin’s only option was to end this threat once and for all as arresting the Chancellor would have proved fruitless!”

Padmé leaned forward more eagerly, making her voice higher, impressing upon everyone in the Senate the seriousness of Palpatine’s crimes. “He also gave me to Count Dooku, to be held and used against Anakin Skywalker, who is a dear friend of mind. Anakin and his apprentice saved me. Dooku has been captured and will corroborate our story.”

At least she hoped the Sith apprentice would anyway. She detested the idea of making a bargain with Dooku, but if it was the only way they could ensure his support in confirming Palpatine’s duplicity then they would have to take it.

“We must end all hostilities with the Separatists and all this information shared! Peace negotiations must be our priority!”

As cheers erupted around her, Padmé felt that she had achieved what she needed to. Not everyone would agree with her speech but there was enough distrust in Palpatine’s leadership that enabled her to take advantage of that fear and use it to gain support.

“And what of the Jedi Order?” asked the Duros Senator who was a staunch Palpatine supporter and who shared the view that the Jedi Order was a bad thing for the Republic.

She understood that she could not simply let the Jedi Order go free. Charges had been filed against several of them by the former Chancellor. They couldn’t be dismissed without proper investigation. Obi-Wan had been arrested for conspiring against the Chancellor, which had allowed the Sith Lord to use that to make it seem that the entire Jedi Order was plotting a move against him.

The Senators did need reassurance that the Jedi were not criminals.

“They should not be executed until all crimes levelled at them are investigated. If they are proven guilty, it should then be decided if the punishment fits the crime. I recommend that the Jedi are kept under house-arrest in their Temple until a full investigation has been carried out.”

“They don’t like that idea,” whispered Ahsoka.

Padmé took that into account. Palpatine had sown the seed of doubt within them; had ensured that they deserved there extermination without following due procedures and protocols. She had to fix that. “Or we could take the Jedi Council into custody to alleviate any fears of my more plots against the Senate. Without their Council who lead the Order, they will be leaderless,” she amended.

Looking around the Senate hall, Padmé was pleased to see that the Senators seemed to agree with that line of action. She hoped that the Council would agree to being detained.

“Thank you, Senator Amidala,” said Bail Organa. “This evidence you have brought with you, please can you transmit it to everyone so that they may view this evidence and make a judgement themselves. I think it is important to get this vote underway.”

Padmé nodded and took the data-chip from Ahsoka, pressed it into the slot and sat down, waiting for the hologram to play out. Please work…
    - - - - -

They decided to wait in the offices allocated to Bail Organa. They didn’t know how safe it was for them to venture outside. Thankfully they didn’t encounter any clone troopers on their trip down, suggesting that perhaps they were no longer considered a threat or as wanted criminals.

Once settled in the office, Obi-Wan sitting in a chair with Shmi supporting him, Anakin started to pace. He couldn’t help but keep glancing at his Master. He was still overwhelmed by the miracle that he had apparently performed. It baffled him how he could have achieved the impossible. If there was anything he wanted to do right now, it was to speak to Master Yoda. Surely he would have some answers to the questions riddling through Anakin’s brain?

“Anakin, stop worrying,” complained Obi-Wan lightly, rubbing his forehead with his right hand. “The bond is vibrating madly because you feel so anxious.”

Anakin stopped pacing. “Sorry. You said it yourself that this has never happened before, that you should be dead.” It was his way of trying to explain why he had been pacing.

Obi-Wan sighed. “Anakin, our bond is unique within the Jedi Order. How many other Jedi have the ability to communicate as deeply as we do? Despite evidence to the contrary, you knew I was still alive both after Jabiim and just now. After what has occurred, you know the Council will have to explore our bond and find out how it was possible you could heal me when you’ve never exactly shown any talent for healing before.”

“I know,” replied Anakin. He couldn’t help but worry.

“How do you feel?” his mother asked Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan examined his body, feeling his arms and legs and then his chest and lastly his abdomen. “I have a dull ache where my wound was … but other than feeling weak and being unable to support myself that well, I feel physically fine. I do, however, believe that the bond I share with your son has only intensified in strength and we are entwined even more then we were.”

Anakin and Obi-Wan had shared minds for over eleven years. They had always maintained the ability to block off their side of the bond or quieten it if they needed to. Anakin had felt Obi-Wan trying that earlier but he couldn’t do it. It was possible Obi-Wan couldn’t do that yet since he had used up so much energy transferring his Force power to Anakin. Of course if Obi-Wan had noticed a change in how their bond felt, it seemed very possible they had lost the ability to simply block off and ignore each other’s feelings and thoughts.

“Is that a bad thing?” continued Shmi, curiosity filling her voice.

Obi-Wan shrugged. “Who knows? It’s never happened in the history of the Jedi before. Anakin and I are unique. The only problem with having such a close bond would be the potential fallout if either of us died. What would the effect on the other be? If we are so closely tied together, could the death of one unhinge the other?” He saw Shmi’s eyebrows rise in concern. “I don’t think there is any reason to worry though.”

“I hope not,” she replied.

“That is something that bothers me, if you died, why did it not hurt as much as it should have done?” asked Anakin. “I felt the bond snap and it should have hurt. Yet I controlled myself and was able to carry out what I knew you’d want me to do.”

Obi-Wan considered Anakin’s words. “You said your heart told you I was still saveable. That is probably why it did not hurt as much as it could have done.” He shook his head. “You do realise I am making this up as I go along as I have no idea why I am still here.”

“I know,” smiled Anakin. “I’m grateful you are. It’s good to feel you in my head again. I know we will part eventually but I don’t want it to be this soon…”

It was then, before Anakin could complete what he was trying to say, that the doors to the corridor slid open and in walked Bail Organa with Padmé and Ahsoka in tow. All three paused when they saw Obi-Wan sitting in the chair, looking very much alive.

Anakin sniggered, finding their expressions hilarious since the last time Ahsoka and Padmé had seen Obi-Wan he had been dead on the floor.

Padmé was the first to speak to overcome her shock. “How?” she mumbled out.

“My mother helped,” replied Anakin. “She gave me the strength to try again after you had left and I found him again. It took convincing to bring this stubborn Master of mine back but he eventually allowed me to help him back.”

“But he was stabbed…” whispered Ahsoka as she stepped forward, noticing the thin scar through the hole of Obi-Wan’s tunic where his injury had been.

“Apparently I can perform miraculous healing injuries,” added Anakin. “Neither of us understands why this has happened but Obi-Wan has been given a second chance.” He sat on the arm of the chair Obi-Wan sat on, and crossed his arms. “What news is there?”

Padmé moved aside so that Bail could step forward. “I think Senator Organa should be the one to explain what has happened.”

“The Senate is working collectively to decide what should happen next. We have agreed on several things: the first pertains to the former Chancellor. All of his personal files will be investigated. If Count Dooku can be interrogated that would be useful. If we can strike a deal with him which benefits us all…”

“Wait, we have Dooku?” asked Obi-Wan. He turned to Anakin. “Why didn’t you tell me that you had Dooku in custody?”

“It slipped my mind,” replied Anakin. “I had other things to consider first.”

“Anyway,” Bail waved off their interruption, “we have also sent out a request to the Separatist Council asking for a ceasefire due to developments that reveal that we have all been manipulated. They have yet to respond but we have noticed in the hour since we issued that order, that reports from the front line indicate that ceasefires are happening.”

“And the Jedi?” asked Anakin. He feared the result of the Senate’s decision.

“Palpatine managed to spread a lot of hate and distrust of the Jedi prior to his death. His accusations against the Order need to be investigated. The clone troopers have stood down but continue to remain on guard outside the Temple,” continued Bail. “The Senate requires proof that the Jedi are not traitors before the execution order can be lifted. Padmé suggested we put you all under house-arrest in the Temple but the other Senator’s did not like that.”

“So I suggested something else,” added Padmé hesitantly.

Obi-Wan had an uncanny feeling that he knew what she had proposed. “Holding the Jedi Council in custody?”

Bail nodded. “Unfortunately, yes. The Senators seem more at ease with that idea.”

“They won’t agree to it,” responded Obi-Wan. “Not the whole Council anyway. That is if the whole Council survived the attacks. The Order has suffered a great loss with the Jedi that were executed on the field.”

“Perhaps one or two of you then,” said Bail. “I can promise the investigation will be carried out as quickly as possible.”

“Have the Jedi been given a time slot to decide on what course of action they should take?” asked Anakin, leaning forward, his hair falling across his face.

“Twenty-four hours to respond,” admitted Bail. “I know it is not much but considering the charges that were laid against you by the former Chancellor it is all the Senate is willing to agree on.”

Obi-Wan stroked his bead. “That seems fair.”

“It does?” Anakin whirled to face his brother. “The Jedi are innocent in all this!”

“Yet you are forgetting that the Sith stayed in power for a long time, long enough to lay the groundwork into allowing the complete extermination of the Jedi Order without the Senator’s battling an eyelid regarding the manner in which it was carried out,” returned Obi-Wan, considering all aspects of the problem they faced. “The Senate does have a right to investigate the Order. They are allowing us fair warning. I am quite willing to stay as insurance. I was after all plotting against the ‘Supreme Chancellor’.”

“Those charges have now been dropped, Master Kenobi, considering the evidence that was presented in the Senate,” replied Bail. “Senator Amidala’s prerogative has enabled the Senate to agree, at least, that the charges brought against you were falsified. You were doing what was in the best interests of the Republic. Unfortunately that doesn’t excuse the rest of the Jedi Order’s alleged crimes.” He raised an eyebrow. “There is also the small matter that Padmé announced your death in her speech. I don’t know how we are going to retract that statement without looking like fools.”

Obi-Wan shrugged. “Either way, I will still be volunteering myself. I am a Master of the Council.”

“I would prefer the matter is discussed with the other Council members first,” said Bail. “You are running out of time to return to the Temple.”

They took that as a hint and started to prepare to leave.

“What about Ventress?” spoke up Shmi suddenly. “Is she still here?”

Bail rubbed a weary hand over his face. “There we were more fortunate. She’s detained in the detention cells. Knocked unconscious by stun blasts from a few clone troopers it appears. We found her lying on the floor. She woke up just after we had secured her in the detention area,” he grimaced. “She was not at all pleased to find exactly where she was. As I hear she was left screeching and shouting that she’d escape and fulfil her Master’s wishes.”

“She was ordered to kill Shmi, Padmé and I,” answered Ahsoka. “I guess she probably wants to do that.”

“She’ll be charged with the relevant crimes,” Bail added. “Hopefully we will be able to hold her until then. She’ll likely be executed if convicted. I doubt we would be able to keep her imprisoned.”

Obi-Wan screwed his face up at that but didn’t say a word. Now was not the time to discuss his former torturer’s fate. He still believed that there was good in her. He would have to forget about that right now. The more important issue that faced them was securing the continual survival of the Jedi Order. “We’ll return to the Temple, confer with the Council, and then comm Padmé our decision.”

“Thank you,” Bail inclined his head in a nod of respect. “And Master Kenobi, let me please be the first to congratulate you on your return to the living world. I was sad to hear of your death. Whatever Skywalker did, I am beyond pleased that you survived. I have a feeling – if the Jedi are acquitted – that I may need your negotiating skills in future.”

“I will be happy to help,” replied Obi-Wan honestly. He was a skilled negotiator and he’d probably come in handy in trying to bring peace back to the Republic. It wasn’t a role he relished but in these circumstances they needed all the best people they could, otherwise the Republic that had stood for a thousand years would never stand whole again.

Bail smiled. “I am glad for your support.” He stepped aside as the group made their way towards the door. “I have taken the liberty of arranging a speeder for you to return to the Temple with. I have already notified the clone patrol that you will be arriving and to give you access. It’s funny really that as soon as the Chancellor’s death was known, they ceased hostile action as soon as I asked for it.”

“They are programmed to follow the orders of the supreme chancellor,” explained Anakin. “Without one, they fall to the next person in the chain of command. If Mas Amedda fled and you’ve been presiding over Senate meetings, then they are recognising you as the leader of the state. I’m glad it is you, another politician might have continued to sanction the destruction of the Jedi.”

The Alderaanian Senator shook his head. “I doubt that. Your mother’s speech got them rowed up against what was happening. It was the main reason why Amedda fled. Positive proof he was in with Palpatine. He couldn’t continue with the plan they had, so he elected to escape. I took charge because I felt that I had to take that opportunity while I could,” he shrugged, believing his actions in the circumstances were not that special at all.

“You’ve given the Jedi Order a temporary relief, Senator,” commended Obi-Wan. “When I felt the Force scream in anguish I was devastated… I could hardly believe that my comrades, my friends were dying.” He smiled gently at Bail. “You’ve given us a chance to prove that the Jedi Order is innocent. It doesn’t take back the lives that were lost, but it does give us the chance to survive.”

Anakin crossed his arms. “Do you think you can stand now?” he asked.

Obi-Wan slowly stood from his chair, holding onto the sides as he lifted himself to his feet. Gingerly he took a small step forward. “My legs do not feel as wobbly as before,” he admitted. He took another step forward but wobbled, catching Shmi by the arm. “I’m going to need some support.”

“You’ve got some strength back,” noted Shmi. “You couldn’t even stand up before without falling back down.”

“I certainly feel stronger,” replied Obi-Wan, slipping his arm around Anakin’s shoulders and his other around Shmi’s, before regaining his balance.

“I’ll escort you out,” said Bail, “just in case you are prevented from leaving, especially considering you are a Council member, Obi-Wan, they may require your arrest.”

“As I said I am quite willing to stay,” Obi-Wan returned, smiling lightly, “but I don’t think it is something that the Jedi Council will necessarily agree with. I will, however, contact you when the decision has been made.”

Bail acknowledged in acceptance of the plan.

Padmé moved forward and gently tipped up on her toes and kissed Anakin on the cheek. “Thank you.”

“What was that for?” the younger man asked, coyly.

“For saving the Republic of course,” she smiled prettily.

“All part of the job,” joked Anakin.

Obi-Wan rolled his eyes.

Padmé giggled. “I’ll see you later.” She turned to face Obi-Wan. “It is good to see you are alive, Master Kenobi.”

“Anakin can be very persuasive when he wants to be,” mocked Obi-Wan, gently accessing his bond with Anakin and letting him know that he was glad that his apprentice had saved him. It made the future look brighter than it had been in a long time, and right now, the people of the Republic needed that.
    - - - - -

When they returned to the Jedi Temple, Captain Rex waved them through as Anakin guided the speeder towards the Jedi hanger. He slowed the speeder to a crawl so that he could quickly speak to Rex, however his captain spoke first.

“Well done, sir. You found a way around the original order,” he praised.

“In future, Rex, please follow your feelings rather than orders that make no sense,” advised Anakin. “It would have helped a lot if you could have done that.”

“An order is an order, sir,” replied Rex. “And right now the order that tells us to kill our commanding officers is still in play. It has only been halted.”

“Well, that will change,” said Anakin. “The Senate will vote to save the Jedi. They will not destroy us.”

“We hope,” muttered Ahsoka behind him.

“Go on through,” said Rex. “I believe the Jedi are expecting you.”

Anakin piloted the speeder into the hanger where he found four Jedi Masters waiting for them. As he helped Obi-Wan from the speeder, Master Yoda, on his hover-chair, came up beside them.

“Succeeded you have, Anakin. Chosen One indeed you were,” said Yoda. The smaller beings eyes flickered to Obi-Wan. “Something different about you there is.”

Obi-Wan grimaced. “Anakin brought me back.” It was better to get that out in the open rather than keep it hidden. “I died, Master Yoda, twice I think, yet Anakin pulled me back.”

“Discuss this we must. Explore the bond I will. But report you first need to do.”
    - - - - -

The report went well, with Anakin doing most of the talking. Shmi listened carefully to her son’s words. It was when he explained about Obi-Wan dying and then bringing him back that she noticed the Council’s unease. She had also been surprised to learn that the entire Council had been in the Temple during the execution of the Order 66 which was a rare occurrence within the war. Usually more than one member was absent at every meeting, but circumstances had meant that they were all present. This had also enabled them to adequately defend the Temple and hold back the clone troopers when they were still sieging the Temple.

The Council agreed with the terms that Bail had managed to arrange for them. Half of the Council members, including Mace Windu, would voluntarily hand themselves over to the Republic as a peace-offering to ensure that they were quite happy with an investigation carrying out, however they stressed that due to the losses suffered in their Order, it was important for some of the Council to remain at the Temple. This reply was offered to Padmé who passed it onto Bail Organa who promised to discuss the matter with the Senate and get back to them. The Council did confirm that if the Senate was not happy with that then they would agree to their demands as they did not wish to break the long tradition of the Jedi Order serving the Republic.

Shmi watched as the Council debated among themselves, considering the problem that Obi-Wan and Anakin presented. Anakin displaying as much power as he had done so, and bringing his friend back proved to be a problematic one. They were concerned about Anakin’s attachment and that it wasn’t right for someone to be brought back in the way Obi-Wan had been. Were there going to be any lasting effects?

The two Jedi stayed silent throughout the debate, assessing the reactions of the various Councillors. In the end it was decided that the most senior amongst them – that being Yoda – would study the bond the two shared and consider the facts before making a decision in regard to what they should do about them.

She could understand their concerns about Anakin’s power but she disliked the notion that it meant the Jedi Council were wary of allowing Obi-Wan to retain his Master’s title, especially if he was in anyway tinted by any dark power that Anakin may have drawn upon, though she was relieved that they considered her son doing that very unlikely considering his aura was said to be completely light and not tinted at all.

She was lost in thought when Anakin nudged her. Shaking her head, she returned her attention to the Master’s and bowed. “Sorry, I was distracted…”

Adi Gallia smiled at her, her head tails moving slightly as she dipped her head down. “It is understandable. After everything that has happened…” She waved a hand in dismissal. “It doesn’t matter. What matters is that we have news for you regarding your family. We evacuated your sister and her husband and children with the rest of the Younglings. As our communications have been restored on a basic level, we have been able to contact them. About an hour ago we also confirmed that your husband and daughter are safe. They are staying with Darec’s third cousin. They both made it away when you were attacked.”

Shmi let out a sigh of relief. “Thank you. I was worried about them…”

“We have told Darec that he is free to come out of hiding. We have given him the location of the Jedi younglings,” continued Mace. “He will be meeting you there as I am certain you are anxious to see him and your daughter again.”

Hope sprung up within her. She had always hoped that her husband and daughter had escaped the apartment. And to hear they had made it to safety gave the tension that she still had some ease. Her shoulders relaxed and she breathed out a sigh of relief. “Thank you.”

“Assigned Padawan Tano to be your escort we have,” said Yoda.

Shmi nodded. “I gather you wish for me to leave?” she asked, seeking confirmation. “You do not wish to see me about my part in…?” She was referring to the strength and the self-belief she had given Anakin during his attempt to save Obi-Wan.

“Talk to you later we will,” replied Yoda. “Your family more important it is.”

Shmi smiled her thanks, bowed and left the Council room with Ahsoka, who like herself had been quiet throughout the entirety of the meeting.
    - - - - -

The Council was dismissed.

Mace was leaving the Temple with Adi, Plo Koon, Ki-Adi Mundi, Saesee Tin, Aayla Secura and Eeth Koth, all of whom had decided that they would be the Senate’s assurance that the Jedi Order was not against the idea of an investigation. Thankfully for them, Bail Organa’s speech to the Senators about their original decision had been accepted. The Jedi Order could nurse its wounds whilst an investigation was carried out.

Yoda informed Mace to tell Bail that he would join them, once he had examined the bond between Anakin and Obi-Wan. Yoda would also decide whether Obi-Wan was fit enough to retain his seat on the Council. Despite the shadow passing and the Sith’s demise, there was still the risk that what Anakin had done had unleashed a new darkness.

No one had ever been brought back the way Obi-Wan had. It had to be examined.

Anakin hadn’t liked that idea himself either but Obi-Wan’s calm acceptance of the situation soothed him.

The Grand Master and the two Jedi sat within a meditation chamber, their legs crossed as they bathed in the soothing waves of the Force.

Obi-Wan’s physical strength had continued to build and his connection to the Force remained the same, bright and touchable as ever. The constant presence of Anakin within his mind was comforting. Yoda instructed them to link together so he could explore the bond. Fusing their essences together, Anakin and Obi-Wan opened a door to allow the senior Master in to explore.

It felt uncomfortable to have another invade their bond, examine the very corners and structure of it. The light pulsed between them. They didn’t know where each other ended or began. They were one, combined in the presence of the Force, but living within two vessels. They were the sons of the Force.

As Yoda edged away from the bond, extracting himself out, Obi-Wan and Anakin felt a flash of acceptance from the Master, and they opened their eyes to see Yoda looking at them.

“Clean you are,” said Yoda. “No darkness do I sense in you. Powerful you both are in the Force. Strong bonds tie you together. A gift from the Force I believe it to be. Not yet your time to leave this world, Obi-Wan. Nearly one you are, meant to be entwined as deeply as this, I sense. The Chosen One indeed you are, Anakin.”

“Anakin’s abilities to bring me back are part of his high midichlorian count isn’t it?” Obi-Wan enquired, putting out the question that was on Anakin’s mind.

Yoda nodded. “Will of the Force it was. But only at your highest potential could you have reached that state, and only with the bonds you have formed could you have succeeded. Alone you would have failed, Master Skywalker. A Mother’s Love should never be underestimated, a lesson that the Jedi Order has learned.” Yoda’s eyes flickered to Obi-Wan. “Correct you were all those years ago in bringing Shmi Skywalker back into young Anakin’s life. Saved him she did, aided him she did. Her love for her son saved us all.”

“Master Skywalker?” Anakin whispered.

Obi-Wan sniggered. “Trust you to pick up on that.”

Anakin glared at him. “I heard what Master Yoda said. I guess if my mother hadn’t been there, I’d have fallen?”

“Potential there was in that. But now, ablaze you both are in the Force, united you are meant to be. Always together, never apart, not even in death. The foundation this will be for a new Jedi Order,” declared Yoda.

“Well, what do you know,” whispered Obi-Wan. His idea, his request all those years ago had proven to be in good faith. Even without Shmi’s Skywalker’s help, Obi-Wan was certain Anakin would have fulfilled his destiny, but without her aid and input all these years, he wouldn’t be the man who he was today. Anakin would be different, but with her, they were brothers, allies in everything, the personification of the Force itself. The bond they shared would be the groundwork for the changing of the Order.

If the Order was to survive, it needed to change.

“In this matter, decided I have, that a Jedi Master you are, Anakin. A Council of thirteen we shall have. A great Jedi Master you have become.”
    - - - - -

“You’re hiding something, Master,” mentioned Anakin casually as they strolled through the Jedi Temple. They had left Master Yoda’s chambers in much lighter spirits, especially with Anakin now a Master and Obi-Wan retaining his seat.

Obi-Wan sighed. Anakin was far too perceptive, but then again it was the strength of their bond that was probably the contributing factor. “I died twice, Anakin. The first time I came back was because of Qui-Gon.”

Curiously, Anakin glanced at his Master. “But the bond didn’t break straight after he stabbed you. You were still there.”

“I was in a white space, Anakin. I’m pretty sure that isn’t normal,” returned Obi-Wan. “And I really did speak to Qui-Gon. He was the one who convinced me to go back, telling me that I still had much to do.”

“If you are confused by it why didn’t you mention it to Master Yoda?” asked Anakin.

“I’d rather talk to you about it because you might be able to help me understand,” admitted Obi-Wan. He valued the young man’s opinions.

“I think Qui-Gon always knew he wasn’t meant to train me,” said Anakin. “You had the same wound as him, worse actually, but you hung on.”

“I don’t think that has anything to do with it,” sighed Obi-Wan. “You brought me back the second time. Did I die the first time? Or was I just out of my body or was it a dream?” He shrugged. “I feel fine but there have to be consequences to what you did.”

Anakin’s eyebrows rose. “I believe it is something you shouldn’t worry about,” he mused. “Master Yoda doesn’t sense anything untoward and you felt him poking around in our heads, quite deeply. You said it yourself, we are intertwined even more then we were. The Force gave us this connection, we should be grateful that I could save you, that I had the power I did to do so.” He patted his friend on the back. He noted Obi-Wan’s down expression. Frowning, he asked: “It’s because you saw Qui-Gon, isn’t it?”

“Yes. Is he watching over us? If I really spoke to him, where was I?”

Within the Force.

Both Anakin and Obi-Wan stopped in their walk through the corridors. They turned their heads to face each other, the curious expression on their faces telling them that they had both heard those words.

“Okay…” swallowed Anakin. “That was Qui-Gon’s voice.”

I cannot appear, only speak in this world.

“Right…” Obi-Wan felt wary.

It’s an old technique that has long been lost by the Jedi. It allows me to retain my consciousness after death, become one with the Force, and give guidance to you. Obi-Wan, you did die, but your bond with Anakin was the reason why you had the chance you could to go back. You two are bonded deeper then you know. I sensed that bond forming before I died. I knew it was not my place to train Anakin. The Force wanted you two together. I was merely the tool to help see it through.

“You could have survived then,” said Anakin quietly.

Possibly. Your bond kept Obi-Wan in his body longer.

“And yet I was ready to die,” muttered Obi-Wan, though not in a way that could be construed as being resentful to Anakin for saving him.

You still have much to do, Obi-Wan, came the reply serenely.

“You said that to me before,” responded Obi-Wan.

It’s not obvious yet, but in a few years you’ll know what I mean.

“Cryptic,” grinned Anakin.

“He always was,” smiled Obi-Wan.

For now do not worry. I am here if you need me. Talking to you like this expands too much energy but you can always reach me. You will hear from me again.

The voice fell silent and the two Jedi traded a glance.

“I hope that answers your questions about the ‘netherworld’ experience, Master,” said Anakin, laughing lightly.

Obi-Wan shook his head, chuckling. It didn’t really answer his questions but it made him feel better, contented with what had happened. If the Force wanted him and Anakin together then he would abide by its will.
    - - - - -

“Mummy!”

Tears gathered in the corners of Shmi’s eyes as she entered the underground bunker that the children of the Jedi Order were hidden. A small girl came running towards her, her dark hair tied in bunches. “Oh, Kia…” She wrapped her arms around her daughter, softly stroking the top of her head as she lifted her up into her arms and cast her gaze around the rest of the small room.

Darec moved towards her through the crowd. “Shmi… I’m so glad you are safe.” He pulled her into a tight hug, not wanting to let her go.

“Thanks to Anakin,” she replied, “and Ahsoka.”

Over Darec’s shoulder she saw her sister, Kyra, standing back, watching he reunion, her own arms wrapped around her two children, with her husband at her side.

A sigh of relief coursed throughShmi. She felt the overwhelming feeling of wanting to cry; the events of the last day becoming too much for her to bear. Her family was safe, her family had survived.

And she was alive.

To be continued…

The next chapter is the last one of this story and that will be posted on Saturday :)

hlc88

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yay for the family being okay and beautiful stuff with the Bond =D= @};- :)

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    What am I going to do once this wonderful tale is over? Beg for more? You have woven a wonderful tale out of one very real change in canon to make this beautiful tapestry of characters and action that has brightened my day each day you post an update.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  17. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    :) Very happy for this ending and how the characters worked it all out. Wondering how the Jedi will present Obi-Wan as alive again. Very exciting finish--looking forward to the rest!

18. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I have really enjoyed this story and will be sad to see it end...I'll be reading the last chapter!

19. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    Same here.be looking forward to the next chapter.by the way,I have a young cat named Kia.her real name is Malkia.

20. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    Jade_eyes Thank you very much!

Valairy Scot I do have other stories on the horizon. :) Thank you for your kind comments. I am very glad that you have enjoyed this story so much.

Luna_Nightshade Thank you! Unfortunately I don't address that issue with Obi-Wan being alive again, since it didn't make it out into the public domain, but only to the Senators. And most of the Jedi were unaware that he's gone and come back again. Though of course that is something I could write a one-shot on if I thought of a good way to present that scene. I hope you like the epilogue!

Jedi_Liz Here is the last chapter!

roguegirl Tagged!

- - - - -

Epilogue

Over the weeks following the death of Chancellor Palpatine, the Jedi Order was investigated for the crimes that had been levelled against them. It was a formality designed to regain trust in the Jedi Order. The crimes that Obi-Wan had been charged with were officially stood down. The very fact that the Supreme Chancellor was a Sith Lord and the evidence presented in the holo-recordings was enough to acquit him and the entire Order of any wrong doing of plotting against the Republic. Order 66 was officially cancelled with the investigation completed.

The Separatists, realising that their leaders were no more in a position to bank-roll the war, or lead them to victory, opened up peace negotiations led by Padmé Amidala and Obi-Wan Kenobi who successfully brought the broken governments back to the Republic together. Mistrust still lay between those that had sought to break the Republic apart, but with time and management, the fragile government that Bail Organa was seeking to build would flourish.

Bail Organa was elected Supreme Chancellor by an overwhelming sheer number of Senators. It wasn’t a job that he had wanted and he didn’t plan to stay in the role for no more than a few years until the stability of the Republic could be assured.

The Separatists ease in deciding to realign with the Republic proved that Count Dooku was not needed to help the Confederacy to fall in line. It turned out that a lot of the systems had been bullied into the support by the Sith Lord himself. Unfortunately for the Count and for Ventress both were convicted of war crimes. It was only when the Jedi Council intervened that the two were saved from execution. The Separatist Council were imprisoned though deals were struck that enabled them to serve their time and re-join society though no longer in any position of power. They had been manipulated just as the Republic had.

It was never announced what had happened to the two criminals, but the public was assured that they would no longer pose a threat to the Republic. That led to speculation that the Jedi had performed the executions themselves, however, in actuality they were being held in the holding cells underneath the Jedi Temple, in an attempt to redeem them, in the hope that two Force sensitive’s wouldn’t be lost to the dark side of the Force forever.

Mas Amedda was eventually caught and found guilty of conspiring against the Republic. His information about the former Chancellor proved invaluable when learning about exactly how Palpatine had rose to power so easily and done in a way that enabled him to stay hidden. His exchange of information had given him hope that his sentence would be less harsh however the courts had sentenced him to life imprisonment.

The clone army was disbanded and the production of clones stopped, however each clone was given a new assignment, and they became a new national security force, aiding the regular authorities across the galaxy. Captain Rex remained at Anakin Skywalker’s side, serving as his personal guard and protector, though it was mainly Padmé that he protected.

A new age was beginning on Coruscant, the birth of a New Republic.
    - - - - -

“You should really stop pacing, Anakin,” said Obi-Wan. “She will turn up.”

Anakin threw a glance over his shoulder. “You’re not the one getting married. When it is your wedding day you’ll be the same!”

Obi-Wan’s eyebrows rose. “My wedding day? I think not!”

Grinning, Anakin prodded him in the shoulder. “Oh come on, Master! Ever since the Council passed the rule on allowing marriages, I know you’ve been sneaking off-world somewhere! Come on, who is it? Who is your lady friend?”

Obi-Wan glared. Despite their close-linked bond, Anakin had yet to learn who he was sneaking off to see. He’d have to tell him one day, but it was a secret he would keep for as long as he could. The ribbing he would get from Anakin…

“One of these days I will follow you,” muttered Anakin under his breath.

“I heard that…” mentioned Obi-Wan. “And prying into my personal life? Are you sure that is becoming of a Jedi Master?”

Anakin groaned. “You had to throw that in my face, didn’t you?”

“Of course,” smirked Obi-Wan.

Anakin’s elevation to Jedi Master had surprised him. He had tried to turn the honour down believing that his defeat of Palpatine shouldn’t have qualified him to be a member of the Council, however it was Obi-Wan who had convinced him to take up the seat. Anakin’s accomplishments with the Force was one of the prominent reasons why he had been given the rank of Master. He still found it odd to sit within the Council, but it did feel right.

He hadn’t had a chance to sit in on many meetings in the five months since the end of the war as he had been concentrating on training Ahsoka. She was coming along nicely in her training and Anakin hoped that within a few years she would be ready for the trials. He had been very grateful to her for successfully managing to defend his mother from Ventress’ attacks. For someone so young, she was incredibly powerful in the Force, and an expert duellist, that with time would become one of the Order’s shining stars.

But for now, today wasn’t about Ahsoka.

It was about him and Padmé, joining together in the act of marriage.

It will be fine, Anakin, said Obi-Wan over their pulsing bond.

I know.
    - - - - -

Padmé brushed her long, dark hair down her back. She wore a white, strapless dress, custom made by a designer on Naboo. Her upcoming marriage to Anakin was public knowledge; the press speculating on when it would happen had made planning it difficult. Both of them wanted a quiet wedding with just friends and family.

“Nervous?” asked Ahsoka, stepping up behind her.

She couldn’t lie about that. “Yes, I am.” Marriage was a big step but it was something she wanted. What both her and Anakin wanted.

Ahsoka held out her hand, the Jedi robe she wore nearly covering her fingers. “I think it is time to go,” she said, glancing at the chrono on the desk beside Padmé. “Anakin will be waiting.”

“I know,” replied Padmé nervously. She picked up the veil and placed it over her head.

“Come on.” Ahsoka took her arm and led her out of her bedroom.
    - - - - -

Naboo was beautiful. They had chosen a perfect spot to get married. The Lake Country blossomed in the sun’s rays. The hills around them gave the perfect location, away from the prying eyes of those they did not wish to share in this intimate moment. It was quite simply the best place for any young couple to get married.

Standing in a grassy meadow by a waterfall, Shmi stood beside her husband watching the ceremony. Behind her was her sister Kyra and her husband and two children. With the end of the war they had both decided to stay located on Coruscant and had quickly become a part of the Skywalker family.

A slight wind whipped through Shmi’s hair and she turned her head to see Padmé walking along the path with her father. Anakin stood at the front with his back to her, Obi-Wan at his side.

Behind Padmé walked her two nieces, as well as Ahsoka and Kia, fulfilling the role of bridesmaids. Ahsoka had refused to wear a dress, choosing to represent the Jedi Order. Both Anakin and Obi-Wan wore the Jedi robes. This was not an ordinary wedding. It was the first ever sanctioned wedding of a Jedi Master.

Anakin turned to look at Padmé. As she reached the hand-made alter, he took her hands in his. Obi-Wan stepped back with the bridesmaids standing to the side of the couple.

A Naboo clergyman began to recite the ancient Nabooian vows. But Shmi didn’t listen. Her eyes were focused upon her son. He had grown into such an accomplished man, powerful in the ways of the Force and one of the most respected people in the galaxy. When he could he even championed the abolishment of slavery on the outer-rim worlds and on occasion went off to free slaves. His dedication to the role of a Jedi impressed her. He had truly become the man he needed to have become. And now, just as he promised as a young child, he was going to marry the woman he loved. Padmé was a good match for Anakin, strong and capable, she was always ready with a stinging response, but her most winning factor was her ability to see the good in everyone.

It wasn’t until Obi-Wan moved forward to give Anakin the ring that her inner thoughts were disrupted. Smiling lightly, she watched as Anakin took Padmé’s hand and placed the wedding ring on her left hand. He promised to love and hold her for the rest of her life, and to care for her in sickness and remember and honour her in death.

Then Padmé spoke the vows, her face filled with joy and love as she repeated those words Anakin had just said to her.

Shmi felt a tear fall down her cheek as Anakin leaned in for the kiss that would proclaim them husband and wife. It was a tear of joy.

As the new husband and wife started to walk past the guests, they stopped in front of Shmi. Anakin moved towards his mother and pulled her into a hug.

“Thank you,” he whispered in her ear.

“For what?” she asked quietly.

“For giving me the strength I needed to achieve what I had to do,” he smiled warmly at her.

Before she could respond to his unnecessary thanks, Anakin took his wife’s hand and led her away.

“You know I don’t think I ever thanked you, did I?” mentioned Obi-Wan casually as he moved to stand next to her.

“For what?” she repeated.

“For keeping my secret and not telling Anakin,” he replied, smiling lightly.

Obi-Wan had trusted her with his secret, the name of the woman he loved. He had come to her asking her for advice and for the past few months she had kept his secret. “You’ll have to tell him eventually,” she said.

“I know. But not yet. Not yet.”

Shmi smiled. “She’s not going to wait forever you know…” A sly, cheeky smile appeared on her face.

Obi-Wan rolled his eyes but gave her a gentle grin afterwards taking the mocking she offered. He was a good man and deserved all the happiness he could get. She hoped he had found it.

Turning her attention back to Anakin, she watched as he stood with his new wife, chatting to the other guests, laughing and joking with them. With her husband by her side, Shmi took his hand and led him to the water’s edge. It was such a beautiful location to hold a wedding, unique and quiet, just as they had wished for.

Standing and watching as the water cascaded down the mountain side and into the valley; Shmi and Darec bathed in the happiness of this day, looking toward the future together. Their hands entwined together, Shmi leant her head against her husband’s shoulder, fully content with her life.

The Republic was finally at peace and everyone who she cared for were satisfied with their lives.

But most of all, Shmi and Darec were – and remained – blissfully happy for the rest of their lives, watching thankfully as their family continued to grow and make their mark on the galaxy. It was the life that Shmi had always wanted, and she was forever grateful that Obi-Wan had given her the opportunity to experience it all.

The End

This is it... the end of this story. Thank you to everyone who has read this story and supported it!

Originally this story was going to end with the birth of Luke and Leia but I thought the wedding was a better place to end it, however I will be posting a one-shot called 'Grandmotherhood' which is around 2000 words of babies, Shmi, Obi-Wan, Anakin and Padme. That will be posted in a few days time.

There probably won't be a sequel though I am aware I could probably explore the whole Ventress and Dooku imprisoned among the Jedi. At the moment I haven't got a plot to follow this up.

There is going to be a prequel that explores more of Anakin and Obi-Wan's bond, set between chapters 8 and 9 of this story, so during Anakin's apprenticeship years. It will explore exactly how their bond becomes as strong as it does by the time of AOTC in this story. Shmi probably won't feature as much as Anakin and Obi-Wan are the main protagonists and they will be getting into a lot of trouble whilst discovering exactly how unique their bond really is. This story is called 'Bond of Brotherhood'.

Plus I have another AU story in the works unrelated to this story called 'Dangerous Games' which is an attempt to explore the notion of Dooku's interest in Obi-Wan and try to turn him to the dark side.

Once again, it has been a great journey to write this story. I have thoroughly enjoyed writing it, and I want to thank you all for coming along for the ride! :)

-hlc88-

21. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    Looking forward to that one shot! And maybe finding out about Obi-wan's lady. ;)

Wonderful ending!

hlc88 likes this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yummy fun closing =D= I will so look out for your other stuff @};- [:D]

hlc88 likes this.
  23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Off-world? Satine, unless it is an OC.

Sweet ending.

hlc88 likes this.
  24. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    There seem to be a lot of plot bunnies hopping around your mind. Hope to see the rest of your literary works.:)

hlc88 likes this.
  25. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    Sweet and enjoyable epilogue to this story! I am glad that Anakin and Padme were able to get married with everyone in attendance, and that Obi-Wan has found someone he can be with too. Enjoyable fic--I look forward to seeing your future stuff!

hlc88 likes this.