main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Mother's Prayer. post-ROTS. Angst.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Valairy Scot, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Title: A Mother?s Prayer
    Author(s): Valairy Scot
    Timeframe: post ROTS
    Characters: Obi-Wan?s
    Genre: vignette
    Summary: Obi-Wan?s birth mother reflects on the son killed in the Jedi purge
    Notes: This is a companion piece to A Father?s Lament. They are not meant to reflect the different viewpoints of the same couple, but the different views of a possible father and a possible mother. Only the facts of the parentage remain the same, but the inspiration came at the same time (from a yet unwritten story) and resulted in these two different, yet similar, stories.

A Mother's Prayer

?Today, my son died. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master, murdered. My son.? I may have appeared calm, but deep inside I was coiled with grief. I had given him up, my son, to the Jedi soon after his birth. I had not known I would have to give him up twice.

I stared at the sky, bright sparkling lights among the dark. Which star was home to my son? Had he found peace?

I had to give voice to my thoughts. Could my son hear them? I didn?t know, but I had to try. Try to explain to him why he was dead, when he could have been alive, here with his family.

?Obi-Wan, my son. Long have I followed your exploits, worried about you long after your missions had ended but the stories just out on the Holonet. A mother?s love is not diminished by the lack of time, or distance. You were always in my heart, if not in my arms.?

?Traitor, they call you. I cannot believe it. I will not believe it. You had your father?s sincerity and deep strength of character. It is not in you, to betray anyone. The Kenobi?s are loyal, good folk. This has always been so.?

I fell silent, unable to continue my heartfelt plea to the great beyond. My prayer for my son; life everlasting in the great beyond that someday we all will face.

My heart will have to speak, for my voice is silenced by the sobs that had so far eluded me. Let the wind, as I stand outside staring up at the stars where my son?s soul now resides, carry my thoughts to my son, my long lost son.

You brought so much joy to my heart, my firstborn. Jira-wan and I thought we would never be blessed with a child after years of trying. I was prepared to be sick for months, but you never gave me a moment?s trouble. I spent more time in the ?fresher than usual, but that?s normal, and you did so much kicking towards the end I thought you would be a boxer, or perhaps a dancer.

Your father found it amusing and he would sit quietly beaming, watching my stomach dance under your movements. I wanted to kick your father at the time, but I couldn?t. Not when he got such joy out of it.

As soon as you arrived in this world, you were demanding to be fed. You were like a little pygglet; I hope you outgrew that habit.

We found out when you were four months old that you were Force-sensitive and could be taken by the Jedi and trained in their ways. Your father refused to consider the idea. He loved you very much, as I did.

I hated to give you up ? it broke my heart into a million pieces ? but it was the right thing to do, for you. Not for me, not ever. But I would do anything for you; even give you up, if I thought that was best for you. In the end, I persuaded your father it was best.

I hope you had your father?s strength. He was my rock the day the Jedi came and carried you away. You didn?t cry, not at all, but looked as curious as a five month old can. I held back the worst of my tears until you were out of sight, then I collapsed against your father. My heart was broken.

So was your father?s, but he held me tight and soothed me. He gave me the strength not to run down the street screaming for your return. I was so weak, and your father showing all the strength that would make anyone proud in such a stressful time. A strength I believe you had within you.

Perhaps I was wrong, you might still be alive and with us had I not given you up. I am so sorry, my son. I gave you up for a better life, not a

2. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    Try to explain to him why he was dead, when he could have been alive, here with his family.

Wow! That would be difficult

Your eyes, Obi-Wan, were only sad. I fear life was full of sadness for you.

A mother would know.

=D= Another good one! Not very upbeat, but powerful and thought provoking. Well done!

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    :_| This piece was just as powerful as its companion piece!

I hope you had your father?s strength. He was my rock the day the Jedi came and carried you away. You didn?t cry, not at all, but looked as curious as a five month old can. I held back the worst of my tears until you were out of sight, then I collapsed against your father. My heart was broken.

Bravo, truly amazing work! =D=

4. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Sleep easy, my son. When I see the stars twinkle, I will hope it is your eyes sparkling with life, when the wind blows I hope it is carrying your voice, and the deep silence of the night - I hope it is your ears, hearing my voice saying I love you.

I hope my prayer reaches you, up there in the stars.

:_|

So, so heartbreaking.

And good story.

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was beautiful

You captured Obi's mother's pain, pride and grief so well..

Bravo!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    I don't know how you did it, but somehow this sounds like a mother, while the other sounded like a father. It kind of reminded me of the description of Shmi, in the beginning of the AotC novel, as she stars into the stars thinking of Anakin on his birthday.

The world is so topsy-turvy right now. Politics makes my head spin. What does it mean, the Republic is now an Empire, and we are safer because of this? It means only one thing to me ? I have lost the son I never knew, and always loved.

I do not care that they call you traitor, or murderer. If you ever did betray someone, it would be only because they betrayed goodness, if you ever murdered anyone, it was to protect your own life. Had there been evil or deceit in you, I would have seen it in your eyes. A mother might deny it, but it would be there.

Your eyes, Obi-Wan, were only sad. I fear life was full of sadness for you.

I pray you found peace; I pray that you had moments of joy during your life. I thank the stars for the five months I had you.

Sleep easy, my son. When I see the stars twinkle, I will hope it is your eyes sparkling with life, when the wind blows I hope it is carrying your voice, and the deep silence of the night - I hope it is your ears, hearing my voice saying I love you.

That entire section was so powerful. Like the companion piece, it was heart-wrenching and beautiful at the same time.

Your eyes, Obi-Wan, were only sad.

I can believe that. Poor Obi--so selfless, and he never really seemed to catch a break.

Great job on this! =D= =D= =D=

7. Aelan_Greenleaf

Aelan_Greenleaf Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Amazing, just like the other piece. Fantastic. :)

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Thanks everyone. Sakura, I'm glad both pieces sounded like a father and one a mother as I am neither! Just a, cough, single woman with a cat, cough.

Val

9. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    How beautiful! You conveyed so much emotion through Obi-Wan's mother! :_|

I pray you found peace; I pray that you had moments of joy during your life. I thank the stars for the five months I had you.

He did have joy, he did! If only she could have known that...

:_| A tender, bittersweet ending to a wonderful viggie! Very nice! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.