main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A New Beginning...A Shmi Skywalker short story...Complete 09/04/07

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by KELIA, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Title: A New Beginning
    Author: Kelia
    Characters: Shmi Skywalker, OC?s and a couple familiar faces?eventually :D
    Genre: A/U Drama
    A/N: This is only my second venture into the world of Before, so the story will be short - probably 3 or 4 posts.

Shmi moaned softly, her limbs slowly shifting beneath the thick blanket as she struggled into consciousness. She bit back a cry as her eyes fluttered open only to close again against the harsh light that filled the room.

?Hello,? a soft voice greeted. ?Can you open your eyes again??

?No,? she groaned, turning her head to the side. ?Hurts.?

The light instantly dimmed. ?Sorry about that.?

Shmi covered her eyes with her hand, tentatively opening one at a time.

?Is that better?? Slender fingers tenderly brushed away the loose strands of hair from her forehead.

?Thank you,? Shmi whispered, turning to face the voice. She blinked in surprise to find a middle-aged man with a weathered face and kind green eyes smiling warmly at her. ?Who?are you??

?I am Doctor Pash Orunitia,? he replied picking up her hand and squeezing it gently. ?And you are??

?Shmi?Shmi Skywalker.?

?A pleasure to meet you,? Pash?s smile widened. ?Though I wish the circumstances were better. How are you feeling??

?Awful,? Shmi admitted. ?Wha?what happened??

Pash glanced at her curiously. ?What do you remember??

Shmi frowned as she searched her groggy memory. ?A ship?turbulence?screaming.?

Pash nodded. ?Go on,? he urged.

?Nothing. I woke up here,? she paused. ?The ship must have crashed,? she concluded.

?Yes,? Pash confirmed. ?Though it wasn?t as bad as it could have been. The pilot somehow managed to maintain some control of the ship until he landed.? He gazed at her silently for a moment.

?Do you remember anything about why you were on the ship??

Shmi leaned back into the bed, her heart sinking. ?Of course I know,? she breathed. ?I am a slave. Most of the passengers on the ship were. We were on our way to be sold,? she looked away, shifting uncomfortably.

?I know.? Pash squeezed her hand again. ?I?d like to help you.?

?You can?t help me.? She pulled her hand away, her voice filled with resignation.

?But I can.? Pash reached into his pocket, pulling out a long, silver cylinder object. ?Recognize this?? He placed it into her hand.

Shmi sat up gapping at the dulled metal as her fingers traced it?s edges. She recognized the slave?s transmitter immediately. ?Wha?how??

?Mrs. Skywalker -,?

?Miss,? she interrupted. ?Slaves aren?t allowed to marry.?

?Oh,? Pash looked away, momentarily embarrassed. ?Sorry,? he swallowed before continuing. ?I was one of the doctors who was sent out to the landing dock to help transport the injured to the hospital.? He gazed at her compassionately. ?I recognized the slave traders. I knew what the passengers were -,?

?Are,? Shmi corrected. ?Nothing has changed for us. This,? she held up the transmitter. ?Won?t change my status. The traders know exactly how many slaves were on that ship and they will come looking for each and every one of us.?

?Not if they believe you to be dead,? Pash countered.

Shmi?s mouth dropped open. ?What??

?I told them you had extensive internal injuries and died shortly after arriving,? he explained, a glint of triumph in his eyes.

?Why?? She shook her head in disbelief.

?As I said before, I want to help you.?

?Why?? she repeated.

?Because slavery is evil. I abhor it and everyone who participates in and supports it,? he replied, eyes narrowing. ?The Republic abolished it years ago, yet they continue to turn a blind eye to the millions of beings bought and sold every day throughout the Galaxy.?

?Saving me isn?t going to change that,? she pointed out.

?No,? he admitted. ?But it will change you and I get the satisfaction of knowing I did what I could to fight against such an injustice.?

?Does anyone know what you do?? Shmi asked.

?A few people,? Pash answered, his voi

2. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Hey Kelia :) ...what a great start! I've enjoyed reading a few Shmi stories lately and this looks intriguing.

Could you please pm me with updates! Thank you :)

3. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Okay - you've hooked me in. :) I haven't read a Shmi story yet, but she is a wonderful character - and this looks very interesting. Could you PM me when you post please? :)

I like the doctor - he seems to be a genuinely nice guy, and it's good he hates slavers.

It would be terrible for poor Shmi to discover she was pregnant like that! Poor woman. But she's strong and courageous. I like the background story you have given her. :)

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I LOVE Shmi! So I don't want to miss a single post of this one! :p

Please put me on your PM list. And I like this medic. =D=

5. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    That was a great hook. Shmi was always a great character in Star Wars and seeing someone tackle a backstory for her is great. The doctor also seems like a good person, what with trying to free her and all, and I hope we see more of him. The only thing I didn't like was the following line:

It's nothing against your story. I simply had it in my head for so long that Shmi was a virgin. It was never stated in the movies, however, so obviously you can write it however you want to.

6. emerald54

emerald54 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 4, 2007
    It's good to see someone doing a little back story on Shmi, even if it does turn out to be AU.

I liked the beginning, and have to agree, I like the doctor.

Can I get on the PM list please? [face_praying]

7. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    I've never really paid attention to any fics involving Shmi, but you've got me hooked! This is a wonderful first chapter. May I be on your PM list?

8. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Kestrel_Kenobi: ? what a great start! This looks intriguing.

Thank you. I?m glad you?re enjoying the story so far.

Could you please PM me with updates!

Of course! :)

Tahi: I haven?t read a Shmi story yet, but she is a wonderful character

Thank you for checking out my story. I agree Shmi is a wonderful, underused, character.

I like the doctor ? he seems to be a genuinely nice guy

Yes, he is and he?ll be a great help to Shmi

It would be terrible for poor Shmi to discover she was pregnant like that!

It was quite the shock, but she will over come it.

VaderLVR64: ? I LOVE Shmi! So I don?t want to miss a single post of this one

Thanks, I?m very intrigued by her as well. I hope I do her justice in this story.

jedimasterbac: Shmi was always a great character in SW and seeing someone tackle a backstory for her is great

Thank you. I?m very interested in Shmi?s past and I?m enjoying creating a bit of a happier time for her.

I simply had it in my head for so long that Shmi was a virgin

That was a tough decision for me. I debated it for awhile and knowing Slave owners treat their slaves as property rather than living beings made it seem more realistic she couldn?t have remained one.

emerald54: It?s good to see someone doing a little back story on Shmi, even if it does turn out to be AU

Thanks. I decided if I was going to do this, I?d give her some freedom in her life. :)

DarthBerryStraw: I?ve never really paid attention to any fics involving Shmi, but you?ve got me hooked!

Thank you [face_blush] [face_blush] Shmi is a great character and I hope you like the rest of the story.

9. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    PM List

Kestrel_Kenobi
    Tahi
    VaderLVR64
    emerald54
    DarthBerryStraw

Chapter 2

Shmi wiped the last of the dust from the small dinning table, thankful to have her least favorite chore done early. Sinking into one of the worn, comfortable chairs, she absently rubbed her swollen abdomen, a slight smile forming on her lips as she pondered the last few months.

The disbelief of her pregnancy had worn off the moment she saw the tiny baby growing inside of her. There was no denying what was before her very eyes. Dr. Orunitia was convinced she simply blocked all remembrance of a vicious assault, but Shmi knew she hadn?t.

She had been a teenager when her innocence was stolen and even after all these years, she could remember every brutal detail. No, her mind wasn?t that powerful at protecting her.

She only had one Master force himself upon her, everyone since had been content with hard work and a complacent attitude, something Shmi was happy to provide as long as she was not physically abused. Nor had she been sold to a pleasure house, as so many of the young women she met over the years had been.

The gods had blessed her over the years, in their own way and now they saw fit to bless her again with this miracle child.

?Good, I?m glad to see you resting.?

Shmi looked up at the smiling face of her employer. ?Nyla.? She rose immediately. ?Is there something I can do for you??

?Yes, you can sit back down,? Nyla replied firmly, pointing to the chair.

?But I - ,?

?But nothing.? Nyla maneuvered her hoverchair next to Shmi. ?Sit.?

Shmi reluctantly obeyed.

?Now,? Nyla continued, her tone softening. ?Have you eaten since breakfast??

?No, I was just finishing -,?

?You?re eating for two,? Nyla scolded. ?And you know Dr. Orunitia recommended small snacks in between meals,? she turned her hoverchair around, heading into the kitchen. ?You sit right there and I?ll get you some Gunji fruit.?

Shmi sighed as Nyla disappeared into the next room. Nyla was another blessing from the gods. Dr. Orunitia arranged for Shmi to work for the disabled woman upon her release from the hospital doing all the housework, cooking and shopping in exchange for a place to live and food to eat.

?There?s nothing else available,? Dr. Orunitia apologized after presenting her with the offer. ?Fondor is exclusively an industrial planet. The only jobs available are in the factories and you absolutely cannot work there.?

He patted her hand gently. ?Nyla has been a patient of mine for years. She is a wonderful woman and I know you?ll like her.?

And Shmi had. The two women had gotten along from the moment they met, forming an instant friendship that grew stronger as the months passed. Nyla welcomed Shmi into her home and heart with open arms.

And she was almost as excited about the baby as Shmi was.

?It?s been so long since I?ve had a child in the house!? she exclaimed upon hearing the news. She hugged Shmi tightly, immediately pointing her to the nearest chair. ?But you must take it easy from now on.?

Thus began the playful struggle between Shmi insisting on getting her agreed upon chores done and Nyla?s determination she get plenty of rest.

It was during the first few days of her employment that Shmi came to realize Nyla really didn?t need help. She may have been confined to a hoverchair, but she managed to care for herself and her small home quite well. It was several days before she worked up the courage to ask why she was hired.

?I need help around the house,? Nyla answered. ?And Dr. Orunitia assured me -,?

?No you don?t,? Shmi stated, gazing squarely into Nyla?s uneasy blue eyes. ?Why did you agree to hire me??

?I guess there?s no fooling you,? Nyla chuckled. ?There?s nothing sinister involved, I assure you.? She reached over, clasping one of Shmi?s hands in her own and squeezing gently.

?I need a friend more than anything else,? she explained. ?After my accident, my friends, my neighbors all?,? her words trailed off as a sad

10. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved the growing friendship between these two. :)

?But he?s out there helping people,? Nyla continued, resting her head on Shmi?s shoulder. ?That brings me great comfort.?

?Can?t you visit him??

?No,? Nyla replied. ?The Jedi don?t allow contact with families.?

Shmi?s eyes widened in shock.

?I?m sure it?s for the best,? Nyla added. ?Jedi never know where they will be sent, who they have to help and they must be neutral with everybody.?

?It still sounds cruel,? Shmi replied. ?Children need their parents.?

?What could I have given him?? Nyla argued. ?It was months before I was released from the hospital, confined to this chair and my husband was dead. I could no longer work or save the money to send him to the academy.? She shook her head. ?No, I did the right thing. The Jedi will give my son a new family and a purpose for his life.?

?Perhaps you will meet again,? Shmi offered.

Nyla smiled gratefully. ?Perhaps,? she breathed. ?But for now we must focus on your young one?s future.?

Shmi glanced down at her still flat stomach. Life for most citizens of Fondor was a future condemned to working in the factories that made up it?s economy, an honest but back breaking way of life.

?You have a very special destiny,? she whispered softly. Shmi didn?t know how or why, but she somehow knew with every fiber of her being that this child had a very special destiny ahead of him or her.

Lovely, simply lovely! =D=

11. DarthBerryStraw

Mar 20, 2007
    ?Now,? Nyla continued, her tone softening. ?Have you eaten since breakfast??

?No, I was just finishing -,?

?You?re eating for two,? Nyla scolded. ?And you know Dr. Orunitia recommended small snacks in between meals,? she turned her hoverchair around, heading into the kitchen. ?You sit right there and I?ll get you some Gunji fruit.?

Shmi needs a friend like Nyla in her life, otherwise she'd never slow down. Nyla seems like a wonderful friend to Shmi.

Great chapter!

12. emerald54

Apr 4, 2007
    Nyla reminds me of my sister, always forcing me to slow down when I forget about myself.

As for children needing their parents, I've always wondered how Anakin would have turned out if he had never been seperated from his mother.

Thanks for the PM, and wonderful post.

13. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    I'm glad Shmi has found a friend in Nyla.

?How did your son become a Jedi??

?The Jedi are always looking for Force sensitive children,? Nyla began. ?They do some sort of test on babies to tell if they have the ability.

Soryn and I didn?t have our son tested right away,? she explained.
    ?We wanted to raise him and send him to the Republic Academy or something like that but after my accident?I couldn?t..couldn?t care for him so I had the Jedi come and test him.? Nyla didn?t stop the tears from falling down her cheeks.

?It was the hardest decision I?ve ever made and I know it was the right decision but I miss him,? she cried.

Very sad. :( - touching. I wonder who her son is?

Lovely update Kelia - I look forward to the next post. :)

14. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Aww! I really like this, Kelia! :D I love how you've captured Shmi here - her haunted past, her shock at being pregnant, and her acceptance and love for the unborn child. I'm so glad that nice doctor found her and gave her another chance at life, and Nyla's amazing. :cool:

I wonder if we've met Nyla's son before... [face_thinking]

=D= Lovely, Kelia! Please PM me when you update!

15. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Ooh - what a great update. There are quite a few little potential connections that you hinted at - like the ginger-haired son who became a Jedi (I'm making some guesses at who he is) and also how Shmi gets to hear about the emotional cost of sending your child off to the Jedi. I'm wondering if that's going to come into play later if she realises that her son is Force sensitive.

What a lovely woman Nyla is. Interesting point about how the slave women were an easy prey for over-sexed employers!! Poor things.

Very curious to see what happens next. :)

16. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    VaderLVR64 ? loved the growing friendship between these two

Thank you. I really wanted to give Shmi a good friend and support system for the upcoming months.

DarthBerryStraw ? Shmi needs a friend like Nyla in her life, otherwise she'd never slow down

Absolutely. Shmi has grown so accustomed to working and ignoring her needs, she definitely needed someone to help her take it easy for a change.

emerald54 ? Nyla reminds me of my sister, always forcing me to slow down when I forget about myself.

A very important thing for all of us to do.

I've always wondered how Anakin would have turned out if he had never been seperated from his mother.

Me too :D

Kestrel_Kenobi ? I'm glad Shmi has found a friend in Nyla.

Shmi definitely needs Nyla in her life.

I wonder who her son is?

Why he?s a Jedi, of course :D I think the secret will be out after this update

Nienna_Narmolanya ? I love how you've captured Shmi here[.i]

Thank you [face_blush] [face_blush]

I wonder if we've met Nyla's son before

[face_whistling] [face_whistling] [face_whistling]

I?m glad you?re enjoying the story and you are on the PM list.

Tahi ? There are quite a few little potential connections that you hinted at

Yep, I like to keep the readers guessing :D

What a lovely woman Nyla is

Thank you ? I?m glad you like the character. :)

17. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Chapter 3

?You?re certain??

?Yes.? Dr. Pash Orunitia squeezed Shmi?s shoulder sadly. ?I ran the tests three times. I?m so sorry.?

Shmi nodded, closed her eyes and sighed deeply. It all made sense now. She had been having increased dizzy spells and weakness for the last few weeks and while Nyla and the doctor were originally convinced it was due to her advancing pregnancy, she knew deep down inside there was something more happening.

?We should schedule the operation immediately -,?

Shmi?s eyes flew open, her heart beginning to pound. ?Operation? What operation??

Pash gazed at her with concern. ?To terminate the pregnancy,? he explained gently. ?We can not begin your treatment while -,?

?No,? she exclaimed, eyes widening with horror. ?I?m not going to kill my child,? Her hand dropped to her buldging abdomen, caressing it protectively.

?I understand how difficult this is for you,? Pash began softly. ?Perhaps I didn?t explain clearly. The treatment would be toxic for the child. There really isn?t a choice.?

?But there is,? Shmi interrupted. ?I can continue with my pregnancy. It?s only four more months.?

?You could,? Pash admitted. Taking both of her hands into his, he gazed squarely into her determined eyes. ?But you need to understand, should you decide to do this, your prognosis would be,? he paused, tears beginning to fill his eyes. He?d grown much too fond of her in the last couple of months. ?Grim.?

?I know.? Shmi looked away, blinking back her own tears. The news she wouldn?t survive to raise her child wasn?t as heartbreaking to her as the knowledge the child would have no opportunities other than working in the dangerous, back breaking mines. There had to be a way to give him or her a better life.

?Perhaps you would like a few days -,?

?No,? Shmi shook her head adamantly. ?I have made up my mind. Do you,? she bit her lip, suddenly unsure of how to ask for another favor from him. He had been so kind to her and she didn?t want to take advantage.

?I?d be happy to help you in any way I can,? Pash interjected.

?I can?t allow my child to remain here,? she breathed, flushing slightly. ?I?it?s just that?there really isn?t?,?

?I understand,? Pash smiled. ?I wouldn?t want my child to remain here either.? He inhaled deeply, considering his options. ?I know of several families who would be happy to adopt. Is there a particular area you?d like to send the child to??

Shmi thought silently for a few moments. She didn?t really know much about the Galaxy. Her life as a slave did not include education of any kind and she had only been to a handful of places herself. ?Nowhere specific,? she finally replied. ?Someplace peaceful and just where my child would be able to chose what kind of life to lead.?

?Someplace in the Republic, then.? Pash rubbed his chin thoughtfully. ?How about Alderaan?? he asked. ?I know several people close to the Antilles, who are rumored to be interested in adopting another child.?

The Antilles??

?The Royal family,? Pash explained. ?Alderaan is run by a monarchy.?

?Oh.? Shmi looked away, embarrassed by her lack of knowledge.

?Alderaan is known as the most peaceful planet in the Galaxy,? Pash continued. ?The citizens focus on culture, the arts, education and technological advances, giving everyone ample opportunity to succeed. The Antilles have one daughter, Breha, so your child would not be the next ruler, but he or she would have more opportunities with the Antilles than anywhere else.?

Shmi inhaled deeply, hardly able to believe her child ? the child of a slave ? could be a member of a royal family. It sounded like the ideal situation. There was no question the child would have the best possible life growing up with such privilege, so why did it feel so wrong?

?You should take a few days to think about it,? Pash advised.

?I will,? Shmi promised, rising to her feet.

Pash took her arm, walking her to the door. ?I will see you in a few days.? He squeezed her arm tenderly as she left.

~*~*~*~*~*~

18. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Wow! a Shmi story there aren't many of them. It will be nice
    that Anakin doesn't grow up as a slave.
    So much would be different.o_O

Very nice story.=D=

19. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    This is so completely in character for Shmi! [face_love]

?You?re certain??

?Yes.? Dr. Pash Orunitia squeezed Shmi?s shoulder sadly. ?I ran the tests three times. I?m so sorry.?

Shmi nodded, closed her eyes and sighed deeply. It all made sense now. She had been having increased dizzy spells and weakness for the last few weeks and while Nyla and the doctor were originally convinced it was due to her advancing pregnancy, she knew deep down inside there was something more happening.

?We should schedule the operation immediately -,?

Shmi?s eyes flew open, her heart beginning to pound. ?Operation? What operation??

Pash gazed at her with concern. ?To terminate the pregnancy,? he explained gently. ?We can not begin your treatment while -,?

?No,? she exclaimed, eyes widening with horror. ?I?m not going to kill my child,? Her hand dropped to her buldging abdomen, caressing it protectively.

?I understand how difficult this is for you,? Pash began softly. ?Perhaps I didn?t explain clearly. The treatment would be toxic for the child. There really isn?t a choice.?

?But there is,? Shmi interrupted. ?I can continue with my pregnancy. It?s only four more months.?

Yet another superb update! =D=

20. DarthBerryStraw

Mar 20, 2007
    Your characterization of Shmi is just perfect! Now with Qui-Gon in the mix, I'm even more anxious for the next chapter. =D=

21. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    ?Forgive me for my rudeness,? the man smiled as he rose to his full height before bowing. ?I am Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn.?

Jedi.

The word reverberated throughout Shmi?s mind and suddenly she knew without a doubt what she must do.

Oh! :) :( I haven't quite decided if I should smile or cry right now. On the one hand, I'm very glad fate (or the Force?) drew Shmi to Qui-Gon, that her son might have the opportunity to become a Jedi, but...does she have to die? [face_worried]

What a beautiful chapter, KELIA. =D= Shmi's determination to see her son live even at the cost of her own life is gut-wrenching and yet so in-character for her. You've done such a wonderful job with her in this piece. I can't wait to read the last installment! Though I'm not sure I'm going to like how it ends... [face_worried]

22. emerald54

Apr 4, 2007
    I agree with Nienna, I don't want Shmi to die, but I'm happy Qui-gon showed up. Will Anakin be taken by the Jedi, or will he stay with his mother?

I like the doctor to, wanting to give the best to Anakin, even though he's never met the kid.

I loved it, and I really hope you update soon.

Emerald

23. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Oh my heart goes out to Shmi - poor woman. She's very courageous.

And yes, I can understand how she would be drawn to Qui-Gon. :)

So now she's beginning to see an answer. The Force moves in a mysterious way does it not?

Lovely addition. :)

24. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Gkilkenny ? it will be nice that Anakin doesn't grow up as a slave. So much would be different.

I agree. If only Lucas had seen it that way?:(

VaderLVR64 ? This is so completely in character for Shmi!

Thank you. I couldn?t imagine her even considering treatment at the expense of her child.

DarthBerryStraw ? Your characterization of Shmi is just perfect!

Thank you [face_blush] [face_blush]

Now with Qui-Gon in the mix, I'm even more anxious for the next chapter.

He is definitely going to play a major role in the rest of the story.

Nienna_Narmolanya ? On the one hand, I'm very glad fate (or the Force?) drew Shmi to Qui-Gon, that her son might have the opportunity to become a Jedi, but...does she have to die?

Unfortunately :_| :_|

Shmi's determination to see her son live even at the cost of her own life is gut-wrenching and yet so in-character for her.

Thank you. I agree Shmi wouldn?t have it any other way.

emerald54 ? Will Anakin be taken by the Jedi, or will he stay with his mother?

All will be answered in this next update

I like the doctor to, wanting to give the best to Anakin, even though he's never met the kid.

Pash genuinely wants the best for all his patients, even the unborn ones.

Tahi ? Oh my heart goes out to Shmi - poor woman. She's very courageous.

I agree, Shmi is a very strong, brave woman.

I can understand how she would be drawn to Qui-Gon.

Yes, he?s quite the compassionate and understanding Jedi. :)

25. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Chapter 4

?You?you want me to what?? Qui-Gon gasped in disbelief. ?I?m apologize, I don?t think I heard you right.?

Shmi chuckled softly. ?Yes, you did,? she replied. ?I know my request is unusual -,?

?I?m sorry,? Qui-Gon interrupted, shaking his head. ?I don?t know what you?ve heard about the Jedi, but we are not in the habit of accepting unborn children as future members of the Order. We need to test each potential candidate?s midichlorian count before we would even consider -,?

?You must make an exception!? Shmi cried.

Qui-Gon?s eyes widened in shock as she grasped both his hands, squeezing them as tightly as she could. Leaning forward, Shmi gazed intently into his eyes.

?My child is destined to be a Jedi,? she declared firmly. ?I know this with every fiber of my being,? she paused, swallowing the lump in her throat. ?I will not survive long after the birth and I need to know the Jedi will take my child. Please,? she cried placing his hands on either side of her stomach. ?You must help me?help us. If the local orphanage takes my child, only the gods know what will happen.?

Qui-Gon gazed at Shmi silently. Something in the back of his mind was telling him he must help this woman and her child. Exhaling softly, he reached into the Force, searching for the child?s presence.

He smiled gently as he felt Shmi?s anxious yet hopeful presence, reaching deeper towards the faint Force signature coming from the baby. A signature that was growing stronger and stronger the closer he got.

Abruptly, his eyes snapped open, his hands dropping to his sides. Never had he felt such a strong presence, not even around Yoda who was known to be the most powerful Jedi in history.

?What is it?? Shmi?s voice was etched with worry. ?Is there something wrong with the baby??

?No,? Qui-Gon breathed. ?The child is fine.?

Shmi sighed with relief.

?I think you may be right about the it?s destiny.?

Shmi beamed. ?Then you will take my child when he or she is born??

?He,? Qui-Gon thought, careful not to let the information slip. ?Yes,? he replied, wondering how he was ever going to explain this to the Council.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Four Months Later

Qui-Gon stood stoically outside the deliver room, watching his apprentice pace nervously.

?I still can?t believe you agreed to take this child without consulting the Council first,? the young man sighed, pausing in mid-pace to give his Master a reproving look.

?It was the will of the Force,? Qui-Gon explained matter-of-factly.

?How could you possibly know that? You barely knew the mother when you agreed to take her child.

Qui-Gon sighed deeply. ?By keeping mindful of the living Force at all times,? he explained. ?The Force speaks -,?

His words were cut off by the door to the delivery room sliding open.

?Shmi would like to see you,? A middle-aged woman announced, tears running down her cheeks as she maneuvered her hover chair away from the door.

Qui-Gon bowed slightly before rushing into the room, the door sliding close behind him.

Nyla turned her attention to his companion. ?He should only be a few min -,? she froze, her heart beginning to pound wildly as she found herself looking into a pair of concerned blue eyes. Eyes she had memorized from her holocube.

?Obi-Wan,? she gasped.

Obi-Wan frowned as he studied the woman before him. How did she know his name? ?Are you all right?? he asked, touching her arm gently. He gazed into her eyes and suddenly knew.

?My son,? Nyla breathed reaching up to stroke his face. ?My grown up son. You?re so handsome.?

Obi-Wan smiled down at her, his fingers reaching up to brush away the fresh tears. ?What happened?? He glanced at the hover chair.

?An accident,? Nyla shrugged.

?I?m sorry -,?

?It?s all right,? she assured him. ?I?m all right.?

?Is there anything I can do for you??

?Yes,? Nyla took his hand, kissing the palm. ?I want to hear all about your life as a Jedi.?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.