main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A new comer.....

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthMal2098, May 1, 2013.

1. DarthMal2098

DarthMal2098 Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2013
    Is this a good reading order for someone who's never read star wars before?I pretty much know all the basic stuff from the movies.
    The Old republic:Revan
    The Old Republic:Deceived
    Red Harvest

2. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    That's probably a good spot, though if you haven't played the Knights of the Old Republic game you might be a bit confused on some background aspects of the Revan book.

For future reference, there's a thread at the top of the forum for just this purpose here.

3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, like Crumb I'd deffo recommend the stickied thread. Otherwise, that's a decent start for the Old Republic, though the best OR stories are contained in KotOR II, the KotOR comics, and Jedi vs. Sith. For post-RotJ, the initial starting point is technically Truce at Bakura, but the Thrawn Trilogy is a fantastic starting point.

Your reaction to Revan may very sharply depend on whether you played the KotOR games, particularly KotOR II.

4. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I haven't read Revan (though I want to) and I started Red Harvest but never finished it. Really it doesn't matter where you start, unless it's part of a series like the Thrawn trilogy or The New Jedi Order series, then start with book one. Just pick up one that sounds interesting and start reading.
    So far my favorite books are Shadows of the Empire (which is my #1 favorite), the Darth Bane trilogy, and the Thrawn trilogy.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The only Old Republic novel I've read was Fatal Alliance, but my understanding is that those books either stand alone or are such that knowledge of the games are helpful.

So I second QsAssistant 's advice--if you aren't reading a series of books, just pick one up that sounds interesting and read. I'm making my way through the NJO right now myself.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Fatal Alliance is standalone, yeah. It, Red Harvest, and Deceived all came out before TOR had even been released, so they're all entirely self-sufficient, albeit like anything set during the OT you'll still have the Empire in power at the end of the book so don't expect any major galactic developments, as they're all very much character stories more than anything else.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Fata Alliance was the best imo. Deceived was meh. Red Harvest was pretty fun except Hestizo. Revan was good but I haven't played KOTOR 1 and 2 and only read some of the comics.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Somewhere Hav is crying and doesn't know why.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    If you're really into The Old Republic MMO, that would be a decent starting point. If you're not, I would recommend against it. "Starting from the beginning" is tempting, but since the stories aren't written in chronological order, and they're not written as one ongoing story, it can create more problems than it solves. You are probably better off starting closer to the movie era. Where to start exactly depends on whether you're more interested in the PT or the OT, and what sort of stories you're most interested by.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Another problem with starting at the beginning--your current order will be invalid in five days.

Force Smuggler likes this.