Waco, TX A New Comic........January 24, 2002

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by jango-joe1, Nov 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Cool man!

For sound, you need to use an editor like Cool Edit Pro or Sound Forge, to reduce the hiss as you increase the gain. Thats the job I'm doing on that low budget feature right now. Checking levels, and reducing hiss.

You can also 'loop' or dub the sound agagin with the actors. All you would need then is a good mike, and a way to record. you can use Tape, but it has inherant hiss, DAT (hard to get ahold of) or even your computer if its quiet, and you set the settings to 16bit 44k mono. Then you would just import the sound and drop it into place. It takes a bit of time and some pratice, but in the end its worth it. The distributor of that LBF said he couldnt believe how good it sounded now, and that he didnt think it could be done that well. (yes, it stroked my ego a bit ;) )

For your next shoot, you will want to get at least an external mike (shotgun prefered) and place it on a boom (broomhandle and duct tape) as close to the actors as possable without being in frame, and then plug it into the camera. Listen to it through headphones to see if the level is satisfactory, and have at it. That should save you the need for looping (unless you get alot of A/C noise or trucks planes etc,) and save alot of time in the edit booth.

You can also do the above and use a Nagra or a DAT if you can get your hands on either that is the best way to go. You will record it to the computer via the RCA jacks or if your lucky enough to have Digital audio on both your comp and the DAT, you can go there.

Good luck!!! feel free to ask me for any help ya might need.
  2. jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Thanks for all of the info, man. At school we have a DAT but it is locked away in our TV studio control room. I was going to have everybody come back in but they are all gone and I have no way to get in touch with any of them.

I was planning on using the shotgun mike and placing it on the boom...but my camera only has two jacks for headphones and a/c (I think). Is the a/c jack the right one to plug it into?

Thanks for your help you are a Jedi Master

3. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    dude, I'm worried about the A/C thing...
    that should be for power... but if it will take a mini plug try it, it WILL NOT ruin anything. (seriously) try it to see if it works.

The mike plug should be near the mike, it should be a mini plug, (same size as walkman headphone jacks) and you should be able to tell by hearing it in the headphones.

If you can hear the tape through the headphones, but not the mike when it's recording, then something is wrong.

Go ahead, and try to get the DAT for at least one day, and get all your actors then.

Also, It may not be possable to do this, but...
    you can loop the actors you cant get to come back, with voices you can get at the time now (like Vader and JEJ ;) ). Let them see the scene they need to dub, and then record them and use the file like I said before. The main problem with that is you will probbly have to dub all the lines for that charactor, and it will take longer, but it will sound much better, if you get good sound and talent then.

Trust me, you can think about it, it may be worth it for just a little more time spent. Either way, bring your rough cut to the con!!!!!!! ;)
  4. jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I just got done trying to do another cut to the film but it never did turn out...see when i started editing, I used imovie on a mac and then finally got it to work on a pc...this morning I tried to open Premeire and do some editing there and it didn't come out the way I expected it to.

I may have to do some looping cause it is mostly my voice that everyone can't hear.

The lightsaber effects didn't turn out right...so i was thinking of doing it like the guys in PA Wars did and do the effects with a special edition

I don't think my camera has a mic jack...I know it has an internal mic and it's starting to pick up the camera noise
  5. jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Do I need to bring it up on a video tape or on a disk to the con?
  6. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    they'll have a VCR at the table, so bring one of thse,

Also bring the cam so I can look at it for ya.

and look near the headphone jack for the mike jack, they may be near each other.

But like I said, if its a mini plug then I'ts probbly for a mike.
  7. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    also, I'll ask Scud what the program for the lightsabers was.

See ya!
  8. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    this thread may help

afterfx
    See ya!
  9. jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Elizabeth has Sound Forge but none of us really know how to use it...is there a book or something that can help us out...cause the audio is one thing that is bad on it.
  10. Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master

star 6
    One of the members

so that's what i am now :p
  11. jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
  12. Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master

star 6
  13. jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
  14. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm sure you can find a tutorial online, I dont know exactly where.

I'll look a bit for one...
  15. jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yeah...I'm looking for one too
  16. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    post a thread at the Fan Films forum

I'm sure alot of folks can use some start up advice on that program.

Cool Edit, you open a new project, or file, then you import the file and it shows up on the screen as a wave file. then you'd highlight what portion of the sound you want to change, and then you can access the options menu.

There you can kill all extra noise, and increase the dbls on your track
  17. BroodMcEto Jedi Padawan

star 4
    And remember, 3 dbls doubles the volume.
  18. jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I looked up some stuff about audio in Premeire and found a little dialog box that helped me.

I basically sat down in the bookstore here on campus and read the chapter in the book. They don't like me in there :p
  19. Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator

star 5
    So, any update on completion E.T.A. ?[face_plain]

How much work's left to be done, joe?

Can't wait to see the final film :)

20. jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well I just got to put in a few more sounds and transfer it all onto a video tape for everybody to view at the show.

Then i am done with Episode I. It will probably be done around next week...if all goes well

I just did the first scene for Episode II :)

21. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Sounds great man!!!

I just got out of a meeting for AQOFII, it was good, we got Premier6 to capture from firewire, "so we got that workin for us"...

See ya later!
  22. jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
  23. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    You can call me Jarvis ya know, ;)

Anyway, did you get the sound any better??

And if you could also burn us a copy, I will only give it to Brian, and Jeff. I'll have a Large version copy of AQOF, for ya. ;)

Later!!

Oh and I'll get you a copy of a certian sound editor too, in case your not done. But even if your not finished, bring it anyway. We cant wait to see what you have! :D
  24. jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well I had to edit my movie a total of four times (computer crashing or me making mistakes) and each time it was getting less and less...my first edit was a total of 12:18 and now it is 11:34 (a significant change)

I spent the whole weekend rotoscoping and got finished last night and I went to look at it and there was no saber blades. (I guess I didn't follow the directions)

But it reminds me of a Tales Of The Jedi comics and Exar Kun fights his master with a lightsaber against a stick... so my movie works.

Either today or tomorrow I'll be transfering it over to tape and I'll burn everybody some copies to give at the show.

Joe
  25. Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    LOL! Cool!

I bet you figured out now, save early, and often, when your editing.

And effects or not, I'm sure we'll like it.

See ya later!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.