main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A new contest to "complete the circle" (serious one-- read!)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by wixmmm, Jul 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Alright guys, so lately the board has seen lots of contests, we have had 2 official Lightsabre glow/rotoscoping contests, and 2 graphic design contests (Broken Allegiance DVD and Forum graphics)

But the thing is, these contests so far have catered to people who are into things like photoshop and graphic design-- what about the large part of the community who's strength is in directing/editing?

Now, this isn't an insane attempt that will ask everyone to go film some scenes we come up with, but, rather, we take scenes from a certain movie or fanfilm (will be decided) and release those in a .zip file as the official "pack". From this pack they can create a trailor for whatever movie the official scenes are taken from.

From here, anyone can download them and edit them together creatively to make a trailor. They can fake shots/create shots (words for example) to liven it up and add their own flavor. And OF COURSE music would have to be considered. The only problem I see with music is certain people have certain tastes of music, but I don't see a REAL problem with people being able to choose their own song(s) for the trailor. People's tastes won't cause too much trouble because

1) It will be a voting/democratic contest (I love how swiftly the lightsabre contest actually RAN (prepared however... ;))

2) Since this IS a star wars fanfilm forum, most likely the movie chosen will be a star wars fanfilm, (with consent from creator, of course,) most people will choose star wars music, and since most people like star wars, they shouldn't have a major problem with songs used, but rather, they get to see how CREATIVELY they were used. But I don't see why we would need to limit people from doing punk or rap or whatever they desire (no swearing-- family board).

Now back to the actual trailor. What this is meant to do would be to test people's abilities at editing creatively, and using what they have. They don't need to be directors who make the creative shots, they don't need to know what the hell the pen tool in photoshop does, but they can recognize a usable shot from a nonusable shot and put them where they belong-- this is what the contest will measure.

The thing that ispired me was the title of a thread for a "cg model contest" (heavy "" there), and my new job, which is editing wedding highlight songs/weddings. These highlight songs make you go through the entire wedding from ceremony to midday to reception and sometimes you add bridal prep. I need to take shots out and use them and put them to song that the bride and groom choose.

The thing about this is, by using slow motion, or other effects, or text, or things like that, we could be VERY suprised at how different the trailor's come out, and it would be VERY COOL to see the different editing styles of people.

So, I know I haven't worked out all the kinks yet. One thing is file size, I say that the trailors whould all be 320x170 or whatever movie we choose would be at 320. NOW, we can release either a "pack" or tell people to simply download the movie.

We might need a person who has high speed internet to download all the files, compress them, and upload them to a server.

This is why I think that either the pack should come already with compressed clips, and it would just be a matter of exporting them back with the same settings, OR tell people to get a "special low low res" version of the movie. The second option gives alot more room for diversity in the trailors, but the first option shows what people can do with what they are given. I guess for this the filmmaker would have to get involved and maybe give preferance? And definately should be allowed to make the pack him/herself, if he/she is the one who directed the movie that the trailor would be for.

Of course, there would need to be a poll, but, polls only allow 10 people. I think that there should be some way of selecting the finalists and then those 10 go on, while the others are still uploaded, but are ineligable for the voting. Plus, any more than 10 trailors peo

2. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    interesting idea.

-trailor - no
    -trailer - yes

3. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    what a great idea! hmm what could this film be? could it be Star Wars- Conditions of Severity? hmm wondering...anyway i think it would be fun to try

4. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Macho-- no, not my film ;).

And I ALWAYS spell TRAILER with an O... it's a thing of mine that I have been corrected on a million times, yet NEVER quite pick up on it.

Cya
    Mike

5. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Macho, you stole my icon you punk. LOL.

6. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    lol pixel, but they don't look the same, yours looks more like a yellow dude my looks more like an airplane!

7. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    well???? i'm ready to go! let's get on with this bad boy! lol

8. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    ^^^ dunno how to take that Buliwulf... does that mean you do or do not like the idea? (it's hard to tell sarcasm on the net sometimes... the lol at the end through me off)

Cya
    Mike

9. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    I like... let's do this.

~DK~

10. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    hmmm... dreadfully sorry, my use of street lingo is often misinterpreted, so i have translated my previous post into a more "user friendly" format...

*translation*-to put it simply, i am quite intrigued by this proposal, and very eager to participate. i much look forward to hearing more about this when the details are straightened out, and footage is chosen. my PC awaits the start of this new and exciting contest...-*end translation*

11. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    LOL [face_laugh]
    Let's get on with this 'bad boy' indeed!
    ;)

12. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Bring It ON!

13. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    Hey! Me too!

14. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    /me wishes he was back in school so he could have access to a G4 with FCP 3

:(

15. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm in.

M. Scott

16. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I'm with you too.

17. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Sounds good...

18. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    what do we get outta this? Do we get our name in the credits that will be there for two seconds! If so I'm sure everyone will wanna join!

19. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Sounds cool. If I didnt have 56k, I would proly participate.

~Neszis~

20. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Alright... so there is interest... now, we need to get the first step done, which is the pack of video. What fanfilm would you guys LIKE to do this for? I say LIKE because it is still unsure as to if the fanfilm maker would cooperate.

We also need someone who will donate the webspace for everyone to upload their finished trailors... or I guess they could be emailed... any ideas in this regard?

Cya
    Mike

PS: MAYBE if the fanfilm maker likes what we are doing enough, he may award the "prize" of this being another official trailor. But once again, that would be up to the creator. The main prize, just like the lightsabre competition, is just the satisfaction you get from winning. Just ask dorkman ;) (BTW: incase people didn't notice it looks like Dorkman is going for a repeat of the lightsabre competition.)

21. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    the film we would do it for has to be already made right?

22. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    I in no way mean this to put the film down, but I'd ask that we not choose BA. I did like BA, but... just... please, no.

~DK~

23. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    Are we looking for something in the length region of BA? Because if so, why not go for a classic like The Dark Redemption?

24. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    The fanfilm chosen needs to be finished... or at least have enough clips of it online to do something with.

Maybe we can have a poll...

Cya
    Mike

25. Tho Yor

Nov 27, 2001
    The Dark Redemption is finished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.