main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks A new Dye Thread

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by GentleBant, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Senni

Senni Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2006
    Does anyone know if there is a dye that will work on 100% polyester? :confused: Don't have time right now to read the whole thread to see if this was answered back a ways. I'm wanting to turn a small amount of light blue and white to purple. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Kasey8473

Kasey8473 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Senni, I've had good luck stove dyeing polyester using RIT dye.

3. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    I concur that Rit is your best bet with poly. Depending on how dark a color you are going for, you may have to use more than suggested and/or put the fabric through a second dye vat.

4. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked for recent query :)

5. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Thanks, S_S

:~)

I'm working on doing the two-colored "dyeing" for this layer of the ROTS Final Senate Appearance Gown.

Pic can been seen HERE

I first used the wrong dye and ended up staining the silk backing of the burnout velvet I'm using, and only lightly coloring the velvet. I'm now painting the velvet by hand with two different Dharma Pigment Dyes in order to get the two different shades. (Link to dyes is here.)

My problem is that the dye is bleeding to create a dark outline all around the velvet pattern onto the silk backing. Anyone have suggestion on how to avoid or fix this?

6. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh boy, you could try some of those gutta resists but that would take you ages to paint all the gutta onto the chiffon area, not get it on the velvet, then paint the velvet.

I'm sorry your velvet is polyester :(

7. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    I guess I can't be sure of the materials, but is there an option on burnout/devore velvets? I guess I assumed all of them are silk backed with rayon fibers. If I had the money and time, I'd buy more yards of the devore and then use the more expensive dye to color the base velvet shade and only have to paint the second color.

Thanks for the reply, tho, Kathy!

8. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    You could use the iDye color remover and start over(it removes the dye/paint from anything....I have used it on silk chiffon). Maybe use the Alter Ego Dyes from Dharma? I used it on my Leia Buns cloak but I am sure you could mix colors to get the right shades of purple.

9. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    I like the alter ego dyes option, but I wasn't sure how to get the second color on the velvet. I'm pretty much done-in on my budget for costuming for the immediate future, so I can't get anything from Dharma right now, but if I redo this one down the road, I think I'll at least try the Alter Ego dye for the first layer.

10. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    Well the nice thing about the Alter Ego dyes are you put both colors in the pot and one dye takes in the silk(protein) and the other takes in the rayon(plant) so you do not have to dye them separately. I was skeptical too but once you do it, you wonder why no one had not thought of that dye sooner :D I am all about saving time and using shortcuts to get stuff done if you can still achieve the right look ;)

11. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    I guess what I'm not sure of is how to get the two different colors on just the velvet; since it's all the same material for that part, I can't figure out how to get around hand-painting at least one layer, which gets me back to the bleeding issue.

12. -Yun-Harla-

-Yun-Harla- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2006
    Heya!

I'm working on this Jaina Solo outfit and at the moment am using white fabric that I plan to dye.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/yamibernarda/Lightsaber%20Order/JainaSaber3.jpg]

I have IDye in olive green and just green as the fabric is a mix of natural and poly so I'm going to have to go about it this way.

Now, the problem is that I want to go ahead and wear this for FanExpo Canada which is in a week and I'm at my mom's place. She is refusing to let me use the washing machine because she claims it'll ruin the machine if I use the washing machine method but at the same time doesn't let me use the stove top either as she's paranoid it'll mess up her kitchen. I'm trying to explain that soaking it in a bucket and leaving it overnight with regular temperature water might not exactly work.

Any suggestions what to do?
    I'm debating on just asking her to take me to a laundromat and getting the job done there (ha!) but I'm not sure they'd let me do something like that there either.

So basically, I have the materials and all but I just don't know what to do in my given situation. Any advice would be much appreciated.

13. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    I did my first washer-dyeing job this summer, and had the same reservations. I bought the special detergent from Dharma and didn't have any problems. Our washer is coated in enamel, though, don't know if that makes a difference.

As far as the stove top goes, I'm planning on buying a big, gigantic pot from a thrift shop or yard sale, wherever I spot one first. If the pot was big enough, splattering shouldn't be a problem.

14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    unlocked on request

15. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    First, thanks to ObiAnne for re-opening the thread.

I am stumped on this for the Water Gown Cloak, Version 2.0
    Alter Ego is a tub-dye, but could it be used for silk painting?

I am begining to think that the silk backing & rayon velvet that has different colors in both layers was actually flatlined with another fabric that was painted separately in different colors, like the underlayers of the picnic gown. Similarly, the green ROTS rumminations gown used purple backing for the two-tone effect. Seeing the results of the Leia Buns cloak padme-skywalker77 did gave me this idea.

Second, has anyone used silk paints instead of dye on rayon pile/silk backing velvet? Reference books available to me discourage it stating the pile's texture is stiffened.

16. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    I used it on cotton velvet and some rayon velvet, and it does stiffen. However, after several washes, it softened up quite a bit.

17. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    GentleBant, thanks for the information.

18. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Gah, just re-read what I wrote and realized it wasn't all that clear...
    I used silk paints as sprayed-on dyes, and it stiffened but then softened after washings.

19. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Polyester will not dye except without a lot of heat and chemical interferance, generall too toxic for home use.

However, and it's a big however ;) Home dyes will eventually coat the surface of the yarn enough to build up some degree of colour. Mostly if you use heat processes.

You can also coat the yarn with a solvent based colour such as acrylic ink. It works really quite well. But for smaller pieces rather than larger as you run the risk of streaking.

20. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I've never dyed anything before by myself, so I'm going to need a lot of help.

For my Queen of Hearts dress, I plan on buying this yellow jacquard:

[image=http://www.fabricfabric.net/images/swatches/RR119.600x600_thumb.gif]

It's 100% cotton, so I'm hoping it should hold a dye.

Instead of trying to find the same jacquard in a different color, I figured it'd be easier to just dye the fabric to a darker gold shade, to make the rest of the skirt/complete the chevron:

[image=http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alicepic/disney-movie/alice-with-queen-of-hearts.jpg]

Since the fabric is already yellow, what would be the best dye choice to make it that golden yellow?

I thought about using Dharma's Procion Golden Brown, but I'm not sure if that would come out dark enough.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3796-AA.shtml?lnav=dyes.html

Thoughts/help?

21. Anyara

Anyara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2006
    You might want a dye with a bit of an orange tint to it, to avoid going too brown. Just a thought.:)