Tips & Tricks A new Dye Thread

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by GentleBant, Apr 8, 2002.

Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    HELP!!!
    i just bought some very nice raw silk from my local joanne's and i need to dye it. the only color they had was a light red/pink and i was hoping i could bleach it and dye it to an off white or gray like obi-wan's aotc tunic.

anyone know how i could go about doing this? i tried taking a small piece and soaking it in a sinkful of cold water and clorox bleack for about 20 mins, but it seemed to have no effect.
  2. KirstenSolo Jedi Knight

star 1
    JB,

Re: Dharma's dyes

Definitely make sure you wear gloves. Not only will they dye stain your skin, but the soda ash is mildly caustic, and if you have any cuts or scrapes on your hands, getting soda ash on them will HURT (personal experience!). The dye dissolves very easily in water, so you don't have to stir it much, but the soda ash definitely doesn't. It will harden into a clump on the bottom of your container, so you'll have to chop it up and do quite a bit of stirring. Make sure you dissolve it in lots of water. Also, make sure you're using plenty of water in your dye bath. This dye is not very forgiving with too little water, so add more than you think you need. Finally, make sure you check on the color chart on Dharma's page to see if you need to double the amount of dye for your particular color. Some of the stronger colors (reds, browns, blacks, etc) require at least twice the amount of others.

I hope that helped!
  3. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    I love Dharma Trading's dyes! I used the pigment dye/paint on my new flame dress, and the colors are so very, very vibrant. Unfortunately, the "dyer" is not quite as high a quality as the dye itself....I'm picking up preliminary pics tonight, will post if time.

Yeay!!!!
  4. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
  5. KirstenSolo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Very very nice GB!! I started dyeing my today, and I'm going to finish it up tomorrow. I accidentally dropped the bottom of the back in the red dye (WHAAAA!!!), so I'm going to use some dye remover and start over with that part. Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with the whole costume.

6. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh, dear! I hope it comes out nicely!
  7. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well I had ordered a bunch of dye from Dharma's and they were out! :eek: So now, because I'm in a time pinch I need to go for the RIT. Does it dye blacks well? Or will I need to mix up a super concentrated version of it?
  8. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm sorry, Jedi Girl--I'm not familiar with that type of dye. Perhaps now that Cel II is over, more people who are more knowledgeable than I can help!

Anyway, a very blurry pic of my finished flame dress can be found at:
    GB Flame Dress
  9. jedi_blynnj Jedi Master

star 1
    Jedi_Girl - RIT die can do black, but most times, it looks like faded black. If you want to stay away from that, use several boxes of RIT. And use the hottest water the fabric can handle.
  10. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, I used about seven bottles of the dye an nearly boiling water... it still looks kinda wethered. :( Oh well. I really wish darhma had my order in stock. :p
  11. Miriamidala Jedi Knight

star 2
    I am trying to dye a 100% cotton, knit-type blanket to make a cape for the AOTC Amidala battle costume. The material is white to very light off-white right now. I want to dye it a bit darker off-white. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could get to do this, and how to go about doing it? Thanks.

-Miriamidala
  12. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Miriamidala, you could try doing a very, very weak tea-stain on it. Dilute it heavily, make sure that you've prewashed the material and that you have *not* used any fabric softener. (It can make the coloring not take evenly.)
    Test to see if your stain is too dark with a small bit of fabric. I would recommend a non-black tea for this, as it will produce a more brownish color rather than an off-white.
  13. Miriamidala Jedi Knight

star 2
    So how exactly do I go about doing that?

Sorry, I am not at ALL experienced in dyeing fabrics...
  14. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Master

star 4
    Umm... I have no idea if anyone could help me out here, but it's worth a shot...

My fiancé was planning on dressing as Luke from ROTJ (I think) where he's wearing the all black outfit... He was going to wear a karate uniform and dye it black...

He used some dye (I don't know which, he bought it himself and then went to his mothers to do it) and tried to machine wash/dye it... Apparantly the dye didn't work and it's turned out grey... Any idea what dye might actually work? I don't know what material it is, or anything like that... But any suggestions would be great.
  15. Paradoxigirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi, this thread has been pushed *way* down to like page 20something...I was just wondering, has anyone had any luck with Dylon dyes, specifically in dying colour-over-colour in the ombre effect used for the handmaiden flame gowns and Padme's Rainbow dress?

Dylon dyes seem to be the only thing I can get here, and my parents aren't keen on my buying stuff online... Alternatively, does anyone know where to buy any of these great dyes you guys talk about in Singapore or Malaysia? Any help is really appreciated!
  16. Master_Domtis Jedi Master

star 4
    wow, this thread has helped a lot! I had so many questions in dyeing the flame dress that this answered!

I just have to ask one thing more:
    for the off white color, instead of tea, how well would coffee work? (If at all)
  17. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Just jumping in--I dye with tea often-and have dyed with coffee, too. Pretty much you will get a different result with each batch of coffee or tea. Different brands produce different colors. Some peachy, some brown, some creamy. Coffee usually makes things darker. You can also make the dye bath stronger or weaker to affect the color. Using the tea/coffee when it's hot usually makes the color darker as well.
    But as always---TEST TEST TEST!!
    Ferd :)
  18. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I used Dylon before to dye my Pale Beige (50% Cotton, 50% Poly) T-Shirt Black and it came out gray (ya, ya; it's my fault but I was in a real hurry to get Black T-Shirt :( ). Anyhow, it's quite good and the t-shirt is still quite gray 3 years after.

As for using it to get that Flame Gown look, you may want to use the Cold Dye instead of the normal hot one cause it's gonna be hard to retain the water temperature at hot throughout the 1-3 days it takes to do the whole caparillie action dyeing job. Or else use 2-3 different color of (Red,) Dark Orange & Yellow and only dye the tops of these fabrics to get that transisted colors?

Hmm, anyone had used other than Silk Velvet to do their Handmaid Flame Gown and get that beautiful coloration at the same time?
  19. Paradoxigirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hm...good idea, Darth_Eagle, I'd been thinking about that, and I figured that if I dyed it yellow first then did the ombre thing in red, the bits creeping up the dress would probably turn orange while the bits at the bottom would probably stay relatively red. Hopefully.

Well, that's all well and good, but what if I want to do Rainbow Dress style dying?

Shoot.
  20. Master_Domtis Jedi Master

star 4
    Darth Eagle:
    I'm in the process if making the flame dress myself and I'm using a crushed velvet look-alike that I found on sale for 99 cents/yard. I think it's something like 60% cotten, 40% poly.... anyway I'm dyeing it either today or tomorow, I'll let you know how it turns out.

and Paradoxigirl,: that's exactly how I'm going to do it....dye it yellow first then do the rest gradually in red. I figure, if I hang it on a ladder upside down and rinse it with a hose from the top (which would be the bottem of the skirt) down, it would turn out nicely. I would hope at least.

and i think there is an entire thread devoted to the rainbow dress that's almost always on the 1st page......

and thank you ferd for the tips on tea/coffee!

edit<s>: spelling
  21. FERDALUMP Jedi Knight

star 3
    Does anyone have any experience in bleaching/removing color from 100% Rayon?
    I don't need to take it down a lot of shades-but I need to turn something blush pink to ecru (which I realize I would need to dye) but my first step is removing the color. I know usually rayon tends to lose it's sheen when tampered with--any suggestions?
    Thanks! Ferd :)
  22. Paradoxigirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Master_Domtis: Good idea on the hose and ladder thing. What I meant when I was talking about the rainbow dress is: how am I going to do colours like that when Dylon dyes mix to produce new colours? Or at least that's what it said on the pamphlet...

I figured it'd be okay on the flame dress because the red would diffuse and mix with the yellow to form orange, and hopefully because of concentration matters, stay relatively red on the part dipped in the dye.

Does anyone here have experience with Dylon dyes in a dye job like this? The reason that I'm asking specifically about Dylon dyes is because they appear to be the only type available here in Singapore...or at least at the store I normally go to.

*grin* The trials and tribulations of being new to a country... =)
  23. Master_Domtis Jedi Master

star 4
    ok, I've got the red part of my flame dress dyeing right now so I'll be quick....the orange middle part has turned peach instead of orange, any sugestions, or should I just run out later and get orange dye? How is spray dye or paint dye? any ideas?
  24. Spitsweet Jedi Youngling

star 2
    HELP ME here PLEASE :)

I have to make the Blue Tatooine dress for my Padme doll...since it's a doll, you surely know I don,t need much fabric :)

I have a fabric called "Voile" (in french) and it was originally White...and I used a LOT of cake colorants into HOT water....the fabric is still in the colorant for 24 hours now...and I fear that if I wash it, it will again turn white very quickly......i don,t want to buy Fabric Dye stuff.....can you help me here pleaaaase ?
  25. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Spitsweet--did you get your fabric to work?

If you're worried about the color fastness, you could also use a hairdryer on high heat (keeping it far away from the hot parts of the dryer....flammability issues), before you wash it, and when you wash it, give it a good cold water rinse, first. If you still want to stay away from dyes, crushed thawed frozen blueberries in water might also work, but would make the color more plum. If price is your worry, Michaels has some premixed fabric dyes in bottles for less than $4.

MasterDomtis....hope your cloak turned out OK! When I made my flame dress, I used Dharma pigment "dye" (actually a paint) and it worked well; hardly any of it washed out.

Moderators: Commander-DWH