Tips & Tricks A new Dye Thread

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by GentleBant, Apr 8, 2002.

Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, I've once again turned into a living breathing Dharma commercial. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Their dyes WORK!! Wonderfully!! Even the black!! (go with Jet Black - it's the truest deepest black they have.) I made a custom Jedi outfit for our FanForce Pres, and it turned out SO WELL. The cotton duck fabric we used (at his request) was originally that dark cream canvas color. I dyed it both midnight blue and black. Beautifully!

I'll get a picture up here shortly so that you can see the results. Awesome stuff. I'm excited to start trying different dye techniques now. :D

He's the guy on the far left in the blue and black

Hee - believe it or not, that's from the same group of pics that Kirana_T linked to for her Picnic dress (which turned out FABULOUS, btw). ;)
  2. Paradoxigirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey there, for all the people who buy from Dharma, could I ask you a few questions? I'm thinking of ordering from them, but for them to send stuff all the way here to Singapore, I've got to order more than $100 of stuff and I want to make sure I spend my money well.

Firstly, which dye would I want to buy if I were dying natural fabrics? How about man-made stuff? The site says that polyester will not take dye, yet I know that Ferdalump made a lovely Rainbow Dress of polyester.

Secondly, is there anything which I should definitely buy or totally avoid from them? Thanks so much!
  3. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    WRT the dyeing synthetics, they have a pigment "dye" (actually a paint) that worked really well on a panne velvet I used for my flame dress. Not sure if that helps, but it's what I can offer, advice-wise.
  4. Kenobi-Girl Jedi Padawan

Hi everyone,
    I am attempting to make the flame gown and I was wondering if any of ya'll had any tips on how to make it. I haven't ever dyed anything before so I am a little nervous about it. I'm not sure what kind of material to use. I'm on a budget, but I want it to look as close to the real costume as possible. Also I was wondering what kind of dye to use. I was just going to go to the store and get some dye but should I get red and yellow or red-orange and yellow or just orange and yellow?

Thanks. :)
  5. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    You will need dyes/paints suited for your budget and material.

I used a panne yellow-orange velvet that I bought for about $4 a yard, I think. I then bought "dyes" from Dharma (see past posts) and dyed the costume. It worked great, but I'm going to redo my hood and underpieces, and redye the yellow on the bottom.

Best wishes!
  6. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I need to dye 4 metres (150cm wide?) of White Japanese Crepe Satin (something like Satin Back Crepe but thinner) pinkish. So do anyone think I should use Dylon Multi-Purpose Dye (aka please-boil-me-on-the-stove-dye) or Cold Dye?

It's unlikely that the satin is silk (it only cost ~USD4.50/m) so is probably polyester or rayon.

And any tips on how to bleach Polyester Velvet to a lighter shade?

(Ps: Before you dye Satin, do you finish off the edge first, since satin tend to fray easily?)
  7. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hmmmm... dyeing polyester satin... You're going to want to dye using hot water. As hot as you can get it. Polyester needs to have the heat in order for the color to take. And be sure to also follow the dye directions as closely as possible. The Dylon sounds a lot like Rit, so dye it once, and if it's not as dark or rich as you want it to be, just dye it a second time.

As for bleaching the velvet... well, some polyester fabrics lose color if you merely wave the bleach bottle in front of them, others won't lose color no matter what (I actually soaked a rather stubborn piece in bleach for 48 hours once, and the color didn't budge - it was navy blue). You'll probably want to cut off a small corner and test the bleach/color-remover on that first.

As for the edge, you can finish it if you'd like, but I personally wouldn't worry about it too much. Just use the "gentle" setting on your washing machine (if you dye in that), or be gentle while you're stirring it. I know exactly what you mean, though - I believe my current White Parade Gown is made out of the same fabric that you're working with, and that fraying is a bugger. While you're sewing with it, you'll probably want to finish your seams with fray-stop. It'll save you a LOT of grief with the fraying.

Hope some of that helps! :)
  8. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Thanks for the advice! :) I'll try to do it ASAP as I need to send the costume out. :( (Note to self again: Learn how to sew gowns!)

Okay, need to get a cheap big pot tomorrow or kidnapped permanently one of my grandma's pot! [face_devil]
  9. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Thrift shops often have cheap pots and spoons to use for dyeing stuff.

Polyester bleaching is tricky....what about some of the lime-away, anti-rust stuff? It's pretty potent.....and I have no idea if it'd work.
  10. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Y'know, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if it would disintegrate the fabric. [face_laugh] It's definitely worth trying on a test piece.
  11. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    What shade of polyester velvet to what shade are you trying for, Darth Eagle.
  12. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I need a more Rose/Bright Red Color, from the current Dull Red. Hai . . . maybe I'll just make do with the current color since I don't dare to even wash the velvet for now. :(
  13. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    The Dharma pigment "dyes" work well on panne, if that helps. There's even a pearlizing or lightening mix you could use to achieve the rose you want!
  14. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Err, my Velvet isn't a Panne Velvet. It's a Polyester "double coat" (Singer?) Velvet; similar to Valentino Velvet but cheaper and slightly more stiff (think Valentino Velvet is triple coat and Polyester+Rayon).
  15. BriaTharen Jedi Master

star 4
    i'd definietly go with RIT dye
  16. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Does the Rit take on synthetics, though? I've not had much luck with it in that department.
  17. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    Gee I think this thread should be about dyeing things CR blue!

kreleia we miss you, we could have added your colour in here as well.
  18. Jedi_Riibu Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I wouldn't recommend Rit for synthetics. I tried to turn some shoelaces red with Rit once and didn't even consider the content of the laces until they came out pink .. oops.

19. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    After much argueing with myself and the weather, I finally dyed my White Japanese Crepe Satin Pink! :D Used Dylon's Multi-Purpose Dye "Rose Of Paris" since that's the lightest Pink available. The final color is a little darker than I want (I only wanted it to be pale pink) but guess it'll do the job since I've decide not to bleach the Red Polyester Velvet (the Satin is for the inner dress, the velvet for the overcoat). I even dyed my old Pale Pink Skirt (hehehehe, now I really got to try dressing up in Lolita! :p )

Thanks to everyone for your advice! :) Now I got the experience to dye using Stove-Top dye.

After this, got to dye the Pale Blue Cheesecloth to Dirty Blue (this'll be a bit more tricky since I've to combine dye but it shouldn't be much trouble since I'm using Dylon's Cold Dye), the Brown Raw Silk to Dark Brown and that Wool-Cotton Fabric to be more grey (it's for my more accurate TPM Tatooine Padme Vest; hope it'll work!). :D

Oh! The Pot I gotten is 38cm diametre and it's just nice for my stove. It's more than fit the 4m of Satin too, although I got to stir more to get the dyeing job spread well since air seems to get trapped between the fabrics forming "balloons".
  20. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm glad your dyeing experience went well! (Nice pics of the pot...:~D....do we get to see pics of the fabric?)

Just remember to never ever use that stuff to cook in, now that you've used it for dyeing. It's apparently NOT a good thing to do!
  21. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Mmmmmmmmmm...

yummy delicious dye residue...

;)
  22. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Can I use it to cook Clefairy Soup? :D :D

(Clefairy: Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!) :p

I'll add the pictures of the fabric before and after dyeing as soon as I scan them. ;) Still can't find the scanner cable (think I got to buy a new one). :(
  23. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    That stinks! Where'd you last see the cable?

(On my own dye note, I plan on re-dyeing the yellow and dark orange parts of my flame dress today or tomorrw, as long as the winds stay down.....:~D Ever notice how costumes never quite seem to be completely "done"?)
  24. JainaMSolo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hellllp!

I've got my rainbow dress dyed at last, but I'm not sure what to do next. The fabric is silk charmeuse, and I dyed it with RIT (painting it onto the fabric for better control). After I finished dyeing, I let the dress dry without rinsing it. So now I have a dried dyed dress (say that three times fast) that looks wonderful, but the fabric's now very stiff.

So what's the next step? Do I re-wet and rinse it now, then iron it while it's damp? Or just iron as it is? When I was doing test swatches, I dyed them (didn't let them dry), rinsed them, and then ironed them while they were damp, and they came out just fine, with their original texture intact. But I've put so much effort into this dress, I'm terrified of ruining it now that I'm so close to being done!

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Caitlin
  25. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Try throwing the fabric into the dryer WITHOUT heat for about 10 minutes. There should be a "fluff" setting, or something that lets you turn off the heating element on the settings. Sometimes it just needs to be tumbled around a bit to get the drape and flow back into it - treating fabric with liquid will almost always stiffen it if it air-dries (as you've probably noticed when you let your delicates air-dry, or even your jeans). :)
Moderators: Commander-DWH