main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks A new Dye Thread

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by GentleBant, Apr 8, 2002.

1. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks kreleia! I tried tumbling it, but it didn't seem to help-- then I noticed that some parts of the dress still had the original texture, so I guessed that there was still excess dye in some parts of the dress. So I gave it a good rinse in the sink (quite a bit of blue dye came out!) and now it's drying overnight. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow!

Caitlin

2. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    YAY!!! Good! I'm glad the rinsing worked for you! :) I've not run across that problem before, so I'll have to keep it in mind for when I do (and I know I will, with all the dyeing I've been doing lately).

3. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    I found the most perfect suede boots for my Slave Leia costume, but I'd like them to be grey, not the natural, off-white they are. Any suggestions for dying them? They were cheap at the flea market, so experimenting won't break the bank.
  4. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I found the most perfect suede boots for my Slave Leia costume, but I'd like them to be grey, not the natural, off-white they are. Any suggestions for dying them? They were cheap at the flea market, so experimenting won't break the bank.

Oh thats cool :cool: , I am not sure on how you may dye them...hmmm...I draw a blank on that. Perhaps spray painting them? :confused:

5. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    I thought about that, and also painting them... I believe Dharma has some paint-on fabric dyes... has anyone here ever used those?

6. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    It is fairly unlikely that you'll have much success dying the boots, I'm afraid.

Generally, only vegetable tanned leather that has had NO other finish applied to it will accept dye -- the dye will sometimes go onto the leather/suede, but will completely wash off in wet conditions, and in dry conditions will rub completely off on everything it touches.

One workaround I've used is to apply a very watered-down mixture of fabric paint and textile medium (this is an additive that can be found at any craft store - right next to the fabric paint; it prevents the paint from drying hard and crackly, and allows it to move with the fabric it's applied to).
    I just brush it onto the suede, and let it dry. (Sometimes a second coat or touchup may be in order.)
    When it dries, the suede tends to be a bit hardened, or will have lost its softness a bit, but I can usually get the testure back for the most part by going over it several times with a nail brush.

-sg

7. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    You might also try Tandy Leather. They sell leather dyes, and could probably help you with dyeing the suede. What little leather dyeing I've done was pretty simple, but it was also done on natural un-finished leather. Definitely check around for tips, or see if they have some kind of help-desk.

8. ZamIAm

ZamIAm Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    Ok, Tandy can't really help you because you can't dye stuff that's already been dyed and sealed. You can only paint stuff that has been dyed. Make sense? Once sealed, then any second dye added will run off of it and bleed. Airbrush painting it might do the trick, So that it doesn't get hard and stiff. That's just my 2 cents. I have never done this before, I just have had 3 expert leather people shake thier head at me and tell me that when I wanted to dye some white suede into purple for my costume.

Surlygirley, PM sent.

9. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Uppity, uppity, boo.

~H~

10. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Okay, I got a question for those who had used Dylon Dyes.

I found an Orange Velour Velvet at Spotlight here. If I remember it correctly, it's marked as 100% Polyester and cost SGD6.99 than the usual SGD8.99/USD5 (it was in the Discount Section. Finally Spotlight here had started a "permanent" Discount Section/Bin for its cloths). I had kinda dumped the idea of me doing the TPM Handmaiden Travelling Grab but now seeing the velvet in such an appropiate color, I'm reconsidering. :D

So think Dylon dye will work for my attempt to give the fabric the Flame look by the spray bottle method or by capillary action? ?[face_plain] My plan is to rougly sew (no lining or hemming or add the hood, sleeves etc) the dress together (a bit loose of course) and then do the dye job. The dress will probably be 2 pieces too; the skirt and blouse.

I had used Dylon on a White Japanese Crepe Satin (kinda like Silk Satin) on the stove before and it turned out pale pink after drying (but that was the color I want as my Organza is already Pink; just want to Pinkness to be more obvious). Had also used the "Hot Water" Black Dylon Dye on a Poly-Cotton Mix T-Shirt and it came out Grey. :_|

11. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    There's no way to know without testing. Buy the Dylon, make it up, take small pieces of your orange fabric, and start test-dyeing. :)

Oh, and be sure to wash (or at least wet) and then dry your fabric before you sew the dress together. Otherwise it'll shrink when you dye it, and you will be very sorry. (Speaking from experience here.)

Caitlin

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    The following posts were originally posted in another thread that was closed for redundancy/consolidation purposes:

[b]Nostradamus wrote:[/b]
    Date Posted: 1/16 5:05pm Subject: Fabric Dying - Date Edited: 11:33am (1 edits total) Edited By: Obi-Dawn Kenobi

[i]It seems the original "new dye thread" is locked, so I will have to start a new topic to ask for suggestions.

Has anyone ever had any success dyeing white cotton laces to an ivory color?

I have not found any 'ivory' dye.
    I tried an 'ecru' colored dye that turned the white to a greyish color. I want it to be a very subtle ivory color. I am dying some small pieces of vintage cotton lace that are quite delicate and already have about 20 hours of (ivory) pearl beading on it.
    I have since used a dye remover on the lace pieces. It did not become perfectly white, but it's not quite ivory either.

Any suggestions?[/i]
    -----signature-----

TK / ID 9989, Commander, Midwest Garrison, 501st Legion
    What's your ideal pet? I want a monkey, that attracts costumers.
    Fashion cognoscenti throughout the universe agree;
    white IS the new black this year.
    http://www.geocities.com/tkvanb/

[hr]

[b]kay_dee wrote:[/b]
    Date Posted: 1/16 5:11pm Subject: RE: Fabric Dying

[i]Maybe this dye thread would be a better one to continue the dye discussion in?[/i]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=13366077&start=13519552]Fabric dyeing[/link]

[i](I think it's missing from the sticky thread - I meant to let Obi-Dawn know since I'm referring to this thread in the new picnic dress summary.)

Sorry I can't help you with your question though

-Kay Dee[/i]

-----signature-----

My Padme Purple Senate Dress Costume http://www.angelfire.com/art/kathys/purple_fabric.htm

[hr]

[b]Angelariel wrote:[/b]
    Date Posted: 1/16 5:17pm Subject: RE: Fabric Dying

[i]Nos you might want to try diluted tea dye...I think Dylon or Rit makes one.[/i]

[hr]

[b]FERDALUMP wrote:[/b]
    Date Posted: 1/16 6:01pm Subject: RE: Fabric Dying

[i]Nos Here are some websites I found helpful when I was dyeing lace Ivory- they combine tea and yellow, or beige dye. Both of them look have great tips that hopefully will help you out, too.

Tea does work alone, but sometimes can be too peach or yellowish--and look more aged than ivory--It's a very fine line to walk.

[link=http://www.sewbridal.com/Sewing_Help/DyeingLace/body_dyeinglace.html]Click Me[/link] [link=http://www.alvey.biz/weddinglace/tips_40_dyeing.htm]And... Click Me[/link]

Hope that helps! (I'll post it in the older dye thread too incase this one gets locked.

~Ferd[/i]
    -----signature-----

Check Out My NEW and Improved Costume Website!
    http://www.ferdalump.com
    "I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose.
    Praise Marty Moose!" Clark W. Griswold

[hr]

[b]Darth_Eagle wrote:[/b]
    Title: Fanforce CR
    Singapore
    Date Posted: 12:25am Subject: RE: Fabric Dying

[i]I know Julia (aka JediElfQueen at OJA Forum) used Tea to dye her Galadriel Dress Ivory. Her website is down currently so can't lead to the write-ups on how she came to the brand of tea she used and the no. of bags.[/i]
    -----signature-----

"The is no pain where strength lies . . ."---Darth Maul
    Visit Admiral Eagle Power's Star Destroyer at:
    http://darthmaulgirl.tripod.com/sw.htm
    Singapore FanForce Chapter
    http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10185

[hr]

13. Inque

Inque Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2003
    First, it's great reading all the advice and information in these groups. Keep up the good (and creative) work!

I'm considering dyeing a 90% cotton/10% lycra blend a very light pastel color, but the fabric is cold wash only. I know a dye for cotton would be the best, but the final hot water rinses I read about in the on-line instructions for such dyes (including "cold water" dyes) worry me. Are there any cold/warm water dyes that would work for this? Could the hot water rinse not really need to be that hot? Thanks!

14. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    The reason for the hot water rinse is to pull all the errant, unbonded pigment from the dye out of the garment, and a final "set" of the bonded pigment.
    You can do a cold water rinse, though it runs the risk of leaving behind pigments which will rub off on other things during wear/use. Sometimes the color will fade quickly as well.
    Normally, after 3-4 washes, even on cold, any surplus pigment will have been completely rinsed away.

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm a complete newbie when it comes to dyeing fabric, but now I'm going to dye the second edition of my picnic cape. The fabric is off white tuille with embroidered roses, and I need to get it to a golden brown colour. I've decided to use tea, since the dyes around here mostly seem to be too yellow for me.

I've never dyed anything before, is it just to boil the tea and sink the fabric into it? I realise that I will have to experiment with which kinds of teas and how many bag as well.

16. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I'm pretty sure the Padawan's Guides tutorial on the picnic dress, as well as the picnic thread here has documented what product, and method each one of us did for dyeing our capes--so you may want to weigh out your options before taking the dye dive :)

I have used tea a lot to dye and basically it's just like you said. Make a pot of strong tea (the stronger the tea, the deeper the color) You can also dilute or strengthen the dye bath by the amount of water you use. Let the bags steep, and then remove them--don't put the fabric in there with the bags, you can get weird spots and stains :) Let the fabric sit in there as long as you need until you get the desired color--just remember that the color will dry a bit lighter.

I *think* you are overseas :confused:, so you may not have access to the products we've found--but I can recommend a few other things that myself, and others have used for a picnic cape.

Rit Golden Yellow dye works well, some have added a bit of tan or brown dye to it to make it the right shade for their costume.

Obi_dawn used a paint on fabric paint I believe that is made by tulip and she got it at a craft store.

Kay_dee I believe used dyes from Dharma.

I wouldn't worry about the roses dyeing--I didn't have any problem with that at all. The net should take the color but the roses should stay the same--just be careful if you are using actual dyes to not make the dye too strong or else you may discolor your roses.

The best advice I can give someone who is new to dyeing is
    **Test***Test****Test!!

Good Luck!
    ~Ferd [face_monkey]

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, on my last cape I used a RIT dye. :)
    The fabric paint was on the one before that...(I know, I'm confusing. :p )

18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Yeah, I'm overseas, that's why I can't use RIT dyes or other products that I read about at padawan's guide.

19. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Well, Dawn, if you wouldn't make SO MANY versions of the same costume, we could keep track of your techniques more easily. :p

20. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I have a question, if you have light green fabric, can you dye it, any color, or will it look weird? Thanks :)

~Spacelady

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Too true girlie. [face_blush]

spacelady, what color do you want to dye it? And what type of fabric is it?

22. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Spacelady- I believe that unless you completely remove the green dye from your fabric you will not be able to dye it any old color or the rainbow. If you put dye over your green dye you will have an overdyed effect... so it's not like you can stick it in a yellow dye bath and suddenly have yellow fabric instead. Does that make sense? (ever play with mixing paint?)

You can try rit dye remover on your green fabric first. I know dharma makes a dye remover also. No guarantee it will work though.

Obi-Anne- it's so funny that you mentioned dying your cape! I actually had to look at my notes from 2 whole years ago in picnic thread # one because I couldn't remember what dye combination I used on my cape... and I'm now dying silk to match it! (it turns out I had used a 3:1 ratio of Aztec Gold to Olive in the Acid Dyes from Dharma)

I had experimented with Tea Dyes but I got frustrated not knowing what bags of tea were going to look like what (I tried a few different teas I had around my house and none of them were coming close to the right yellowy color). I found it easier to deal with real dye because I could mix colors with somewhat predictable results.

-Kay Dee

23. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Darth Eagle:

DYlon won't dye polyester well at all. I'm not sure if you'll be able to make a flame ress out of a velour made from it...

unless you use watered down paints?

I use watered acrylic paints for fur and it works very well.
    http://cosumes.glittersweet.com

If you click the Pink Diamonds costume and the 1920s coat (under Moulin Rouge and Historical respectively) you'll see how I used it to colour the fur in both, and how it is blended from one colour to the other.

It's very simple, put acrylic paint in spray bottle, mix well with water to dissolve it all, spary on fabric smear with hands (preferable with gloves on as it does stain for a few days otherwise)

I also used it to dye my hairpieces for the play I'm currently in.

And mixed it with moisturiser to paint my body silve for my Dark Galadriel costume (above link under Movies).

Very useful, safe and under utilised colouring stuff...

I may use it in my Cosplay master class next year...

how to use felt, glue and paint....

24. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I think the fabric is ploy, but I'm not so sure. And yes that makes a whole lot of sense. ;) Hm... I'll have to try the Dye remover sometime. ;) Thank you :)

~Spacelady

25. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    ObiAnne, if you need Dharma stuff, I could order it and ship it to you. :~) I think....?