main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A New Hope: Just an opening act?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthTapion, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTapion

DarthTapion Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2004
    I watched A New Hope wiht my father again today. And as we watched it, we were still amazed by the movie. But what I've started to notice as i watch OT more is that A New Hope isnt really a movie. To me, it's more of just an opening act, sort of a like an extended introduction to the real story. I mean, it's like the movie is just like establishing the charecters a little, and just setting up the basis for the next two movies.

ANH is really just about introducing Luke, Han, and Leia and showing the viewer that there is a rebellion and that it is rising.

ESB starts the actual story.

2. Sgt_Cade

Sgt_Cade Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    Same could be said for The Phantom Menace as well. Sometimes I find A New Hope to be painful to get through, I have to be in a mood to actually watch it... or else I find myself getting bored with it quickly. Sitting in the theater during the SE was painful for me... just seemed to drag on. Other times I enjoy it immensly though. Empire, and Jedi I can watch just about anytime and enjoy them from beginning till end.

3. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    I'm right with you, Cade. I'm the same way.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Same could be said for The Phantom Menace as well. <<

I'd disagree with that assesment- any character introduction TPM did was pretty much wiped out by the 10 year gap between films. By time we see Obi-wan and Anakin, etc again, so much time has past that they are almost completely different characters and we're essentially re-introduced to them all over again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.