1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:WA A New Hope on tonight!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Greek_Wog, Apr 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greek_Wog Jedi Padawan

Make sure you all watch it even though about 100% of you have seen it before ;)
  2. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    There was a pretty good behind the scenes special on tv this afternoon. I think it was titled something simple like A long time ago. It wasn't in the tv guide since it was a last minute change. I hadn't seen it before but I only got to see part of it. What I did see was good. Interviews with Lucas, Ford, Neeson, Macgregor. It was all about the movies already released. I didn't see anything in it about AOTC which was good since I don't want spoilers. :)
  3. Jedi Daniel Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah I've seen all the Behind the scenes shows when they were on FOXTEL about 4-6 months ago. I wish I could get A New Hope down here. I can't even play it on any of the VCR's we have (We have 3) since they are all stuffed.
  4. Dingbat Jedi Knight

star 1
    Okay, maybe I'm a complete retard for not noticing this before, but I only just noticed that the lightsabre Obi Wan uses in A New Hope is the same as the lightsabre he ends up with at the end of The Phantom Menace (Qui Gon's sabre). I might be wrong, but when you see Obi's sabre on top of his cloak after he's disapeared it certainly looks (well to me at least) like his one from the prequels.

When I first saw Qui Gon's EPI sabre I thought it was cool how new it looked. I also assumed Obi would build himself a new one instead of using his old master's and I remember people saying stuff about how Luke might have used parts of Qui Gon's old sabre to build his one for Return of the Jedi.

Anyway I can't believe I never noticed or heard about this before. Of course, maybe the reason is because I'm seeing things, but I swear what was laying on top of Obi's cloak looked like Qui Gon's sabre! Please, some one tell me I'm not seeing things! Either that or tighten my straight jacket.

EDIT: okay I just realised it can't possibly be the same sabre since it doesn't have the same colour blade. Yes I must have been seeing things, but I swear the sabre handle looked earily similar. Anyway, can someone tighten my straight jacket for me?
  5. Jedi Daniel Force Ghost

star 5
    Isn't it possible to change the colour of the lightsabre crystal to another?
  6. Lord-of-the-Bongs Jedi Youngling

Where in the movies does it even say they use crystals in the sabres?

Besides, I think they can change the colour of the sabre by using a different colour in the rotoscoping process, but I could be wrong.
  7. Dingbat Jedi Knight

star 1
    Heh, maybe sabres fade with time ;) I mean if he is still using Qui Gon's, it would be pretty damn old.

Anyway, the reason I was looking at it was because while watching A New Hope last night I realised I had never gotten a good look of Obi Wan's sabre. I've seen close up pictures of pretty much every other sabre in Star Wars but not of Obi's last sabre, so I was trying to get a good look at it throughout the movie. You get the best shot of it when it's laying on top of Obi's cloak just after his vanishing, and to me it seemed to resemble the EPI sabre. If anyone knows of any close up shots of Obi's A New Hope sabre I would love to see them.
  8. sansian Jedi Padawan

Talking of the Star Wars special on Channel 9 on Sunday, did anyone perhaps tape it. I missed and am eager to perhaps get a copy or at least get to see it.

Thanks

E
  9. SoulKrusher Jedi Master

star 4
    I watched it. I noticed that there was a special behind the scenes view on Obi Wan after the screening of A New Hope. It did show a lot more footage from AOTC that I hadn't seen mainly the speeder scene. Maybe ther will be more of these after the last two movies as well, something to watch out for I guess. They were presented my C3PO and R2D2.
  10. Lord-of-the-Bongs Jedi Youngling

11. Greek_Wog Jedi Padawan

Yeah that doco was pretty cool in the afternoon yesterday, it was interesting.

Oh and in A New Hope why are the lightsabres flat? Did anyone notice that? When they turned they had a flat edge just like a sword.

It was pretty cool though especially that Obi Won feature at the end.
  12. BoNgSaBrE Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Dingbat: As I am the resident Lightsabre nut, I can definitely tell you that they have a few similarities, but close up they are completely different.

If you want to know a good site where you can see very good pics of every lightsabre seen so far, and one or two that haven't benn seen yet, go here.
  13. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    I remember reading something about the lightsabers (in the Indider's Guide CDROM I think). Anyway, it said something like padawans often designing their own light sabers to be similar to their master's one.
  14. Jedi Daniel Force Ghost

star 5
    Lightsabres have always run on a type of Coloured Crystal. What ever colour the crystal is the colour of the lightsabre's blade.
  15. Dingbat Jedi Knight

star 1
    Darth_Soup thanks a lot for the link, that's quite an excellent lightsabre site, I was disapointed to find out that what was once one of my favourite lightsabre sites (and general Star Wars info sites) seems to have temporarily shut down (http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/) :(. The main reason why I was trying to get a good look at Obi Wan's sabre is when watching it just suddenly occured to me that I had never gotten a good look at, so I tried (and failed ;) ). It's kind of interesting to notice from that site that Obi Wan's A New Hope Sabre bares a lot of resemblance to Luke's Return of the Jedi one.

16. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I read about Luke's 2nd lightsabre somewhere, can't remembere where that Luke modelled it on Obi-Wan's. An appreantice when making his lightsbare usually models it on his master's, hence Luke modelling his on Obi-Wan's. If you have the SW visual dictionary, there is a pic of both Obi-Wand Luke's lightsbares togther - there you will see the similarities! That and Darth Vader's and Luke's 1st lightsabre as well. If you have the Ep1 visual dictionary, you'll see Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon Jinn, Darth Maul, Yoda and Mace Windu!
  17. Dingbat Jedi Knight

star 1
    *Dingbat digs out his old SW Visual Dictionary. Sees pic of Obi Wan's sabre. Makes promise to lay of the crack when they show Empire on TV*
  18. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Problem solvered, Dingbat? That visual dictionary was a great Xmas pressie from my bro!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.