main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A New Hope Score Discussion: Track 4 - The Dune Sea of Tatooine/Jawa Sandcrawler

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by skgai1, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skgai1

skgai1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2005
    Much like the Chapter by Chapter discussion of all the Star Wars films, this is thread for the Track by Track discussion of the film's CDs. It wasn't very popular first go around, but I decided I don't care. If one person is willing to discuss them with me that's great.

Track 4 - The Dune Sea of Tatooine/Jawa Sandcrawler
    Encompassing DVD Chapters 6 and 7

This cue starts off with off with clarinets? go up and down until they are met by some strings. This is the epitome of desolation, I think. This, still at the beginning of Star Wars, is where you actually feet for the droids. The music connects you with the droids. You feel sorry for both of them and want them to find safety. You don't know any of the history of these to droids, but right here you beginning to care for them. I would also like to add I can tell, from this cue especially, that the London Symphony Orchestra really knows how to play. I can't imagine John Williams' not ever played better than they are here. Bravo! That section of the orchestration ends with a bit of uneasiness. That's when C-3PO sees the Sandcrawler, but the audience doesn't believe he's actually in safety because of those notes.

The next cue is of the Jawas disabling R2. This is a playful piece of music that provides a little bit of uneasiness, but on the whole tries to give the feeling that Jawas aren't all bad and that this movie will still be fun. The tuba entering here is a bit I love. The transitions in this track are so good. Now the music is played during the scene inside the sandcrawler. Odd music, but loveable. This is a nothing you've ever scene and notes you've never heard.

I love the transitions in this track.

2. skgai1

Nov 1, 2005
  3. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    Woohoo! The track by track discussion is back! [face_dancing] For a moment there I thought it was lost forever...

John Williams is certainly the man for creating music that is associated with a place. There is no other sound that reminds me of Tatooine as well as this track. The winds in this piece (namely the Jawa theme) are playing superbley. (Awesome muted trumpets too.) The Jawa theme is quite neutral, it does not suggest anything good or bad about the droids and the Jawas. After this is the dissonant strings which aren't exactly catchy but still contribut to the desert atmostphere. The piece ends with our very first hint of the Death Star Motif, but it doesen't realise itself until later.

Track rating: 89%

4. skgai1

Nov 1, 2005
    Well said Vader. Great points especially with your catch of the Death Star Motif. You're right about the Jawa theme being neutral. I was trying to describe as good or bad only to realize that it was neither. Great to see somebody enjoy these.

5. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    The repetitive notes really do make you feel like you're in a neverending desert. But in a good way thematically. Great track.

6. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Another classic.

7. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    This track and "The Moisture Farm" have been two of my most-listened-to tracks (any any genre) over the past few years.

Absolutely brilliant mood and atmosphere.

LOL, this was the next track that popped up on my master playlist in iTunes. :)

8. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    The Jawa motif is one of the least talked about themes from the saga. It's perfect for the busy little scavengers it represents. I love it.

9. skgai1

Nov 1, 2005
    Well said Well of Souls. I've always loved the Jawa motif. It's just one of the many little numbers that Williams doesn't have to expand upon to make it sound better. It works on its own in just a handful of scenes. Its memorable, but not overbearing. The perfect kind of score for this section of the film.

10. __Vader__

May 23, 2005
    Dune Sea of Tatooine is one of those cues where I only need to hear less than a second of before I think: "Tatooine!" It captures the atmosphere of the environment superbley well. (Other tracks like Arrival on Dagobah and the Kamino theme do to but "Dune Sea" takes the fastest for me to recognise it.) It's safe to say that this track ranks high on the nostalgia-o-meter too.

11. skgai1

Nov 1, 2005
    We have moved on to the next track. Feel free to continue discussing here.

Track 5 can found here

12. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    [/quote]The piece ends with our very first hint of the Death Star Motif, but it doesen't realise itself until later.[/quote]

Uh,doesn't the first hint of the Death Star Motif come at the end of "Imperial Attack",when the Star Destroyer is pulling out of orbit?
    A great example of Williams' harmonic skills in the way that comes out.
    And thank you for making me think about that Vader-it's the first new thing I've discovered in a looong time about Star Wars in general!

13. __Vader__

May 23, 2005
    I always wonder why Micheal Matissimo says that the Death Star motif here is the first hint. I agree with Skyy38, that it is heavily hinted at in Imperial Attack. I love it how John Williams gives the Death Star Motif another go in ROTJ when the Executor hits the Death Star II. It makes me smile to hear him return to themes established all those years ago.

14. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    It's just borrowed from "TIE Fighter Attack."

15. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    QFT.

I actually really hate that Williams recycled "TIE Fighter Attack" not once but twice in ROTJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.