main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A New Hope Score Discussion: Track 6 - The Hologram/Binary Sunset

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by skgai1, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skgai1

skgai1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2005
    Much like the Chapter by Chapter discussion of all the Star Wars films, this is thread for the Track by Track discussion of the film's CDs. I'm moving rather slowly, but we've got time.

Track 6 - The Hologram/Binary Sunset

This track beings ominously, but then become mysterious and eventually poetic. We are treated with are first full glimpse (if I can say that) to Princess Leia's theme. All the while strings play below the theme perfectly expressing the sense of wonder and anxiousness. Leia's theme is wonderful and expresses a vulnerable, yet strong woman who has a sense of regality. The cue then moves to a delightful rendition of the Star Wars theme and then to the iconic binary sunset moment of the Force theme. Here the force theme is played by a single French horn (I think) and to me that shows the purity of the Force. Luke is doing everything right in the beginning. He's young and naive, but he knows what's right. He must help Leia. The Force will's Luke to move to action and John Williams rarely uses the solo French horn for the theme because the Force is rarely used correctly throughout the saga. As a movie moment too, it works so wonderful because when the music eliminates all the supporting instruments and focuses on one with a gorgeous melody everyone shuts up and listens. And the binary sunset is a moment in the film where Lucas calls attention to Luke in the most blunt way. The track then moves back to the Star Wars theme and then back to the Force them, wonderfully I might add. All in all this is one of the best pieces of music ever written. Period.

2. skgai1

Nov 1, 2005
  3. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    One of the greatest cues in the history of film. Beautiful, emotional ... fits perfectly.

4. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    It's interesting to read in the booklet from the 1993 4 disc Anthology set that John Williams originally used a variation of the main title/Luke's theme as the music over Luke looking at the double sunset. George Lucas thought it would be better use the leitmotif for Ben(now known as the "Force Theme") because Luke was having a contemplative moment about his future and it seemed more appropriate to use Ben's theme because that's where his destiny would take him.

5. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Obviously the classic statement of the Force theme represents an iconic moment in film and film music history, but my favorite bit of this cue is the quieter Force theme statement by horn and flute that ominously ends the cue.

6. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    Amazing track. Gives me chills every time I hear it.

7. skgai1

Nov 1, 2005
    That is interesting to ponder. Looking back I, in a way, wish John Williams had already known where his themes were going to be used and why. He nailed it perfectly in ROTS. I compare this work to Howard Shore's work for the Lord of the Rings. He pre-planned everything and I think that that's one of its great strengths. The Gondor theme is just echoed in the first movie only to be fully explored in the last one. Here John Williams doesn't even have the Imperial March when, by all reasons he should, and he doesn't quite have a lock on the Force theme or the Star Wars theme (or maybe he does, I'll have to investigate further). Nonetheless, I still find that Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope is the best score ever written for film (and in my opinion the best work of music ever). When watching this movie on its own, all the cues work seamlessly and seemingly appropriately. Only as viewed in the saga it doesn't make entire sense, but every time I watch this movie that thought gets kicked out of my head from note 1.

8. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    :) Finally, the good stuff.

First of all, this isn't the greatest cue ever, not even close. (We'll get to ones that can be called that later) However, it is getting up there. The rendition of Leia's theme at the begging is terrific, as it hints at the big adventure that is to come. Then Luke steps outside to dream about his future. This is the first time Ben's theme gets the full treatment, and to boot, it is done properly, with a soloist expanding to full orchestra. The imagery is almost perfect here, and Hamill has got the perfect expression to match. After we are all blown away, my favourite moment is the woodwind snippet of the Rebel Fanfare. It really brings the music down to earth, but also hints at the fulfillment of Luke's dream.

9. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I like to think of the music used for the Imperials in ANH as the "Stormtrooper Theme";-)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.