A new look for TFN Forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Panesar, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Panesar Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't ever post in TFN so don't flame me if this has not been covered.

Why don't TFN get a brand new look for the forums? The existing look looks bloated and out of date. It looks rubbish in my humble opinion. A nice example of a better look is Killer Movies':
    SPOILERS http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/ SPOILERS

This look just looks...rubbish. Some may agree, some may disagree.

eXSBass
  2. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    You may want to try reading this thread, along with a few others.
  3. Lord_NoONE Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I actually like the form and function of the Tfn boards; it's the other boards that seem bloated to me. I like the small, inanimate icons that all pertain to SW. I like the fact that there aren't any pictures in the signatures. I like the quoting mechanism that Firefox offers. I've posted on many a board and none are as nice as these. Just my $0.02. :)
  4. Panesar Jedi Knight

star 1

I hugely disagree with you. Follow the link in my first post and compare that to this. That offers a wide spread nice layout. This offers disgusting colours (not to mention some members ;)), small links and because TFN is popular it kind of seems crowded.
    About the sigs. I don't care about the sigs. I'm talking about the layout!
    But what I do like is the fact that forumers have contests to compete in the banner thingy.
  5. Darth-Dispicable Jedi Master

star 4
    I would like to add my $0.02 to that which Lord_NoONE threw in, that makes it $0.04.

Basically I am saying that I agree with Lord_NoONE.
  6. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    I can't believe it; out of all the forums you decided to pick, you picked the most generic and template-look-alikey one out of all of them.

Go you!
  7. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Eww, the site you linked to in the first post looks like one of the dime-a-dozen cookie-cutter sites that are all over the internet.

As much as I'll agree that this look could be tweaked or improved upon, that isn't the direction I want to see it go in.
  8. C-3PX Force Ghost

star 6
    That forum looks like hundreds of others out there, nothing special.

9. MILK-HANDS Jedi Master

star 4
    SoloCommand posted on 2/22/05 3:04pm

Go you!

/>

[face_laugh] That's completely right. Sorry, but if you think Killer Movies has a great looking layout, then you have terrible taste. />/>
  10. Panesar Jedi Knight

star 1
    [quoteThat forum looks like hundreds of others out there, nothing special.[/quote]

With all due respect, perhaps you would like to point out what is so "contemporary" about this.
  11. zacparis VIP

star 7
    The JC's unique, clean and easy-on-the-eyes design is one of the main reasons I joined up to this place. I hope it never changes.
  12. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    By the way, it's "blockquote", not just "quote"
  13. odj_310388 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Panesar posted on 2/22/05 2:49pm

Why don't TFN get a brand new look for the forums? The existing look looks bloated and out of date. It looks rubbish in my humble opinion. A nice example of a better look is Killer Movies':
    http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/

This look just looks...rubbish.

/>

Ha ha ha, a bit better than those killermovies forum then eh? I mean how bland can you get? Seriously.
    />/>
  14. MILK-HANDS Jedi Master

star 4
    Also, you might have wanted to post a warning to the non-spoiled for ROTS to not click on the link, since it the thread titles give key plot points away.
  15. PVS Force Ghost

star 1
    i like kmc's layout, but then again im a sucker for simplicity...i find it easier on the eyes.

but really, i dont see how tfn is so advanced compared to kmc. ive seen countless forums which resemble both.
  16. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    The JC's unique, clean and easy-on-the-eyes design is one of the main reasons I joined up to this place. I hope it never changes.

I cannot stress how strongly I agree with this.
  17. Lord_NoONE Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If this forum started to lean towards becoming like killermovies.com or the MF boards, I'd probably stop coming here. There's an ergonomic simplicity that I love about the TF.n boards that I really hope never changes. It's nice, simple, well-organized, etc. It's much better than kmc and others. It may not be unique but it feels inviting.
  18. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That's pretty close to the default vB template, isn't it?

Who wants to look like every other just-installed forum out there? I probably wouldn't register if I saw a fresh
    install/lame newbie type template on a forum.

Not that what we have now is great, but it's pretty good, and serviceable. And who wants just a lame banner up top, when we get these cool wraparound banners?

I mean, I think the JC's category layout is confusing and not very newbie-friendly, but with so many forums, it becomes necessary.
  19. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7

Who wants to look like every other just-installed forum out there? I probably wouldn't register if I saw a fresh
    install/lame newbie type template on a forum.

I agree, you picked a really lame example. There's no way that's better.
  20. NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus

star 6

Amen to that.
  21. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    The one you linked to has no character at all.

tf.n uses space well, is easy to navigate, easy to read...

Countless people in a couple of different Comms threads have said that they don't want tf.n to change the way it looks. Obviously, of the users who care enough to speak up, the vast majority like things the way they are.

Jes
  22. Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod

star 6
    If this forum started to lean towards becoming like killermovies.com or the MF boards, I'd probably stop coming here. There's an ergonomic simplicity that I love about the TF.n boards that I really hope never changes. It's nice, simple, well-organized, etc. It's much better than kmc and others. It may not be unique but it feels inviting.

TFN is the only forum where I've been a regular and it is simply because of that.
  23. Saberwielder315 Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry, but the KMC's are absolutly disgusting. I live on these baords and would not change a thing! As Yoda says, "My home this is!". Get real man, we like it here.
  24. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    TFN is the only forum where I've been a regular and it is simply because of that.

Me too. Initially that was the reason I stayed. Finally a forum that revelled in it's simplicity. I post at lots of other forums, but the JC is the only one I 'spend time' on.
  25. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5

Actually, it's exactly vB's standard template, just with a couple of colours altered and a forum logo in the top corner (logo only, not banner).
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.