A new look for TFN Forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Panesar, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Ton_G Force Ghost

star 4
    Changing the look of this place would be like tearing down ones walls in their home. I love the fact that T.FN has its own look and feel- not like a cookie-cutter forum.
  2. FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hi, why has no one pointed out to Panesar that if he doesn't post here anyways why does he really care how ugly, in his oh-so-humble opinion, our forums are and that he can kindly shove it?
  3. Ton_G Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, he may just be a lurker. Even lurkers have to experience the boards in some form.
  4. MILK-HANDS Jedi Master

star 4
    FateNaberrie posted on 2/22/05 6:54pm

/>

Because telling him to "shove it" is flaming, and we all don't want that. />/>
  5. FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    His first sentence was

I don't ever post in TFN so don't flame me if this has not [sic] been covered.

If he were a lurker but not a poster, he would know if it had been covered. This implies that he doesn't really post or read here.
  6. C-3PX Force Ghost

star 6
    I have a feeling his a mod there or something...
  7. BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, not quite sure where he gets off. I don't think anyone should be giving any credence to his asthetic taste considering the board he linked to. It almost seems like he did this on a dare.
  8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    That's a little...specific. Do you know something we don't? :p
  9. BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    No, but it almost reads like he's trolling. Don't wanna accuse him of something like that without knowing anything about him, but coming onto a long established board and telling them their layout is ugly while pointing them to an extremely ugly and generic board as an example seems like someone who is looking for trouble.
  10. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    It's kind of an affront to everyone who's working so hard to turn the new boards from what this guy likes to what we have here.

Ah, well, no accounting for taste.
  11. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    While we're here, is there any way the admins can install a hack or template (I believe it exists) on the new board that is really, really image free, or light on images?

Just for those of us with dial up, it would make things load much faster, a "text only" version. Because these boards are very image intensive.
  12. BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    xie posted on 2/22/05 9:49pm

Just for those of us with dial up, it would make things load much faster, a "text only" version. Because these boards are very image intensive.

/>

Just get Firefox and use the adblock extension to get rid of any image you don't want. I have all ads and most banners removed on mine, and my page loads are noticably better.

[image=http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/180x60/rediscover.gif]
    www.getfirefox.com
    />/>
  13. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    By image free, do you mean getting rid of the banners and icons, or also images in posts?

In any event, I can bring it up and see what happens. :)
  14. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Please, I've had FireFox since like .6, don't patronize me. I'm using "Block Images From..." now, but it would be nice if I could still see images elsewhere on the site, and choose between the one I wanted without having to use a third party solution.

Jeff, Banners and icons, a "text only" version of the page.

Maybe it could disable the images in posts, or auto link to them.
  15. BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    xie posted on 2/22/05 10:48pm
    />

Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to accuse people of patronizing you. I was just trying to help. Sorry to have caused you distress, in the future I'll be sure to take you're entire post history into account./>/>
  16. UK Sullustian Force Ghost

star 4

This is basically a troll for new members for "killermovies". He would have been better off posting it in the JCC with "OMG AMAZIN NEW STAR WARZ SITE I HAV FOUND!!!11!!"

For other hilarious witticisms, please visit www.funduksnewhouse.co.uk

UKS
  17. JediPriestess Force Ghost

star 4
    Well actually you are wrong there. I think the post was in response to someone in 3SA flaming KMC. I honestly dont know why the lot of you cant just get along. I post here, kmc, mf.com and several other boards because each board has something unique to offer. And NO I DONT KNOW WHO THE THREAD STARTER IS. But I will tell you this, I know for a FACT that there are several TFN members that go to KMC to get things that arent allowed to be posted at TFN. I just dont understand all this continual griping. Who cares really. As long as a board offers something that appeals to an individual it doesnt matter if the web address is www.thisiscrap.com if it makes them happy.:rolleyes:
  18. Jedi_Junkie Jedi Master

star 3
    I think the boards could do with a fresh look, but that site was crap. /flame and I smell a plug for a personal board here.

Now, as for sites with neat layouts... gaiaonline.com Is really well lain out, even I figured it out when I was a n00b.
  19. Jaina Byrd Force Ghost

star 4
    Gaiaonline.com takes forever to load. The interface is too bulky, image-rich, and many computers have a problem with it.
  20. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    The ideal message board look is (in no particular order):

a) Fairly unique and easily recognizable.
    b) Relatively easy to navigate.
    c) Quick to load.
    d) Visually appealing.

KM.C boards are b and c, but miss out on a and b. In my opinion, TF.N has all four.
  21. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    While we're here, is there any way the admins can install a hack or template (I believe it exists) on the new board that is really, really image free, or light on images?

Justin I saw in my profile at the test boards that there is an option there to not load avatars and not load images.

22. xie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I believe that's only in posts, imbedded images and such.

I don't think it will work for all forum images. :(
  23. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes, but when combined with a "JC Lite" theme, it would solve all the queries you asked about.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.