main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A new Padme

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Darth-Seldon, Jun 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Besides her looks I do not care for Natalie Portman. Her performance in both movies I thought was terrible. In episode III I think Lucas should hire a new Padme. My choice being Jenifer Gardner of Alias and Daredevil. She has the acting skills and looks to pull of Padme. One thing is for sure Portman should go.

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Oh, 'cause THAT won't hurt continuity. rolleyes.gif

Nat-Nat ain't great but I'll stick with her for continuity's sake, thank you.

But if GL wants to put Jennifer Garner in his flick, preferably clad in a slave bikini (Garner, not GL), I wouldn't complain. [face_love]

Jennifer Garner loves me! (I WISH.)

3. Leah

Leah Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2003
    In my opinion, I think Natalie Portman does a great job in playing the part of Padme. I like the way she reprised her role in AOTC,and I can't wait to see her reprise her role once again in Episode III. I believe that if Lucas replaced Padme it would be a terrible mistake. (But that's just my opinion)

4. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    First what is the point of contunuation when it damages the product. She (Natalie) does not have the skills to pull off the emotional scenes in Episode III. In clones she was horrible in the fire confession scene.

5. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    First what is the point of contunuation when it damages the product.

It's CONTINUITY. And I think that even if the new actor was a bit better, it would be distracting for the audience to believe that this was the same person as Natalie Portman (AT the same age, mind you). What would have happened if Carrie Fisher hadn't played Leia in ESB and ROTJ? It woulda been disconcerting to watch as a saga when Leia changes with no explanation.

On the other hand, we'd have fun opportunities for in-jokes like "This never happened to the other fellow." </BOND>

Rick McCallum loves you!

6. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I'd love a new Padmé - I'd even sell my own mother to replace Natalie with someone who knows how to act, but unfortunatly it's not likely to happen.

7. jMo_Skywalker

jMo_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    [face_laugh]
    If GL thought that Portman wasnt good for the part of Padme', I dont think he would have cast her. I think shes a pretty good actress (look at her other films). I still cant believe you want a new Padme' now. For God sakes, think about the continuation! GL has enough loose ends to tie up. HAHAHAHAHAHA this is probably the most dumbass idea on any thread ever.....

8. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    jMo, please express dislike of people's ideas with respect and tact.

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. jMo_Skywalker

jMo_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    Your right. I am sorry for the remarks I made earlier. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am just getting tired of people bashing the actors of the PT. Once again, I am sorry for what I said earlier.

10. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    lol garner lol hahahahahahahahahahahaha

11. Papillion

Papillion Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2003
    I agree. Garner would be such an improvement over stone-faced Nat Portman. In AOTC, Portman didn't even look like she wanted to be there. Had Garner been cast for AOTC, she actually would have been able to pull off the action sequences in which Ms Portman looked ridiculous, and Garner has presence. Portman has none whatsoever.
    Plus, there'd be a more distinguishable age difference between Anakin and Padme if Jennifer were to replace Natalie.

But it's probably not going to happen.

12. JediCouncilBoy4

JediCouncilBoy4 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    I think Natilie Protman is an awesome actress, she wouldn't of gotten the part if she wasn't good enough!

13. Nolimit_Veritas

Nolimit_Veritas Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2003
    hahahahaha

portman is a BLAND actress

but she might be good if she can play a depressed and "sad" padme which i expect her to be in episode three.

jennifer garner is far more cute and the better actress

but it would be way tooo awkward to change padme.

i thought james franco would have made a better Anakin. but whatever they wont change unless something terrible happens.

padme is here to stay from what ican see

14. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Is this guy serious?

Give me a break people.

15. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Natalie Portman is a good acress, I've seen her other stuff and she can pull the emotional stuff off.

There are two reasons why she's not emotional in SW they are because one she's supposed to be trying to hold back her feelings and two although GL is a good director he's more of a technical director than acting director. None of the actors in EPII had any brilliant acting compared to things they have done in the past.

16. Nolimit_Veritas

May 18, 2003

IS WHO SERIOUS?????????

17. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    It wasn't meant as a bashing comment just an observation.

18. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Hey, it's my old adoptee! 3000+ posts? Wow, you've come a long way...

Anyway, I think Portman did a fine job. She played the character the way I think it should be played. Just because someone seems cold and formal doesn't mean they're not acting well. Real people act cold and formal at times.

19. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Surprising as I didn't post for a month due to school commitments ;)

From what I have heard of interviews I think they wanted Nat to act that way

20. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Besides her looks I do not care for Natalie Portman. Her performance in both movies I thought was terrible. In episode III I think Lucas should hire a new Padme. My choice being Jenifer Gardner of Alias and Daredevil. She has the acting skills and looks to pull of Padme. One thing is for sure Portman should go.

*lol* Some fan you are. I think Natalie Portman has done a fantastic job as Padme Amidala. Jennifer Garner??? Pftt come on, she is already associated with Alias now.

21. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Do you mean I can not be a good fan without liking every part of the film. I don't like the casting lady in the movies I think a few times she has made huge mistakes such as Ahmed and his Jar Jar voice. I don't think Natalie should have been in any of the films. I read an interview from Entainment weekly where she said filming Star Wars was torture she hated it. And it shows.

22. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    To me it shows on more than just her. There are a few actors I think do a poor job in AOTC

23. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    Hello? (I hate people who say that)

Jennifer Garner is the best you can come up with for a Natalie Portman replacement? Ever heard of Keira Knightley? When you put Naboo-style make up on her you can't even tell she's not Natalie Portman (damnit, I wish I could think of an example to back this up with). You're just going to have to take my word for it.

I also would have suggested Rose Byrne or Virginie Ledoyan before Jennifer Garner. Garner's good I just don't see her as Padme.

EDIT- Lucas firing Natalie Portman in favor of a competent actress is a beautiful dream, but sadly it will remain a dream :(

24. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I think Natalie is doing a great job as Padme. Her character is very thoughtful and due to that, sometimes slightly expressionless, because she has to control her emotions at all times.

The only other person I could see stepping in would be the actress who was her 'double' in Episode 1. Kiera Knightley or something like that. Maybe they'd pull the ole switcheroo again.

Isurus

25. Nolimit_Veritas

May 18, 2003
    why do you all give lame @ss excuses for bad acting.

c'mon, i mean the mostly dragging dialog doesnt help the weak acting, but ultimately it comes down to the actors.

YES, many of the actors say they hate working on Star Wars, but the only actor who seems to get through that is Ewan. he hates it but he does incredible well for what he is given. he HAS a future in acting(obviously)

Ms Portman you better be thinking about your future as an actress, you can complain as much as you want on how you hate working on star wars and turn that into a terrible performance....
    But......
    not saying its the end of her career as a third rate actress , but it seems close...cuz few people are going to want to see her in other roles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.