main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A New Perspective. Poetry Challenge Response. L/M.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Mar 24, 2015.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title A New Perspective
    By: Nyota's Heart

Disclaimer: Borrowing with Love. Deep.Unapologetic. Love.

Genre: Introspection & Poetry Challenge Response.

Characters: L/M with a bit of a surprise thrown in. [face_love]

AN: After VOTF.

~!
    The poem is:

Invictus,” by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

~!

This whole bond thing was so the absolute opposite of what she'd known with the Emperor. That had been invasive. Never, she had sworn, would she allow anyone, for any reason, to invade her mental space again. But now, there was a Luke-space there. And it felt like it had always been, should have always been, where it was. Nestled in the centre of her heart.

Rather than being afraid, she was exhilarated! She was in charge of herself, her feet solidly planted on the ground, as they had not been even after the dissipation of the Emperor's final command. She had had a lot of rebuilding and remaking of herself to do then. Now, she felt stronger than ever she had then. Even the loss of the Fire had made her stronger.

Luke had puzzled over if the loss would make her retreat but she had shook her head in negation. "It's time for a new path for me, a new way to define myself." She had said and then smirked. "Your sappiness is rubbing off on me, Luke."

He had grinned and said: "They did some rennovating of the Imperial Palace... although it's now called the Presidium Towers... and they found a beautiful room that was decorated in a most unique fashion at the beginning of the Empire's downfall, although of course they didn't know it then. Tionne got a comm-message about it before all the crisis around the Caamas document and the rest of what's been going on the last few weeks, with the treaty and all. But I wanted to show it to you now that the reception and formal stuff is over. I'm going to be visiting Han and Leia and the kids for a month or so."

Mara then shrugged. "You've earned it. Karrde asked me if I wanted to rejoin them on their next run, but I feel like I need a breather too."

Luke's smile had been radiant. "Terrific! What do you say we go take a look tomorrow afternoon after lunch?"

"Sure. Why not?" Mara felt more than a little curious about something she would not have taken any notice of in her days as the Hand. She would have been too absorbed in her duties, doubtless. Now, a lifetime and from the stance of being a different person altogether, she wondered how she'd react.

~!

What had caught Luke's eye was the name of the room-in the historic part of the Towers. "The Naboo Room"... it struck a chord with him because of his ties to Queen Amidala and the Naberries.

But when he and Mara stepped into the room and saw the refurbished mural of shimmering lights, especially with the sun shining as a backdrop, Luke felt all of the wide-eyed farm kid all over again.

At his side, Mara gasped, all her well-developed, instinctive reserve melting away in genuine admiration.

She stepped to the plaque and touched it to bring the description to life.

"Ayesha Eskari... I believe I saw her at a function or two held by the Emperor. I believe I was even there at the unveiling!" She exclaimed. "I never had cause to recall the incident naturally, but there was something -- arresting - about her, not just the artistic talent, which of course I paid no heed to, but now can appreciate - working with Karrde and various high-placed clients."

"I would love to see the auroral displays in person. Perhaps we could vacation there during the time when they are more prominent?" Luke suggested.

"Yes, and you could train me, right?" Mara jibed.

Luke kissed her softly. "That's not exactly how I imagined we'll be spending the majority of our time there, Mara."

She grinned. "Solo has rubbed off on you."

"Hey. It was bound to happen." Luke retorted.

Mara rolled her eyes. Even this banter, so usual between them, she reflected - had a new undertone to it. Warm and easy, no thorny defensiveness. She could get used to this.

++++++++

Chyntuck, AzureAngel2, Gemma and 2 others like this.
  2. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Awww... so sweet! I love how she chooses to be with Luke, even though she can do anything she wants. [face_love]
    And someone was an exceptionally good interior designer...

3. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    Ayesha!

Love the poem, love the story that came out of it!

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks for sharing! Fascinating idea to have Mara feel even stronger, more confident, and more independent than ever now that she's formed the bond with Luke—one could think of it as an example of...

the captivity that brings the only true freedom
    (if that reference is familiar at all ;) ).

Love the cameo by Ayesha's artwork, and it's cool to be able to hear Mara's impression of meeting her, however briefly, and feeling that special something about her. Nice job here, and thanks so much for contributing to this challenge! =D=

5. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Really liked how you integrated the poem into the themes of this, especially here. Mara has become the captain of her soul -- not just running away but forging her own path. And the contrast of this bond with Luke and the old one she had as the Emperor's Hand is really well-done. :) And taking time to look at the world around them (and things like the memory of an artist long ago...) is something that neither she nor Luke have probably done so much in a while.

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Love the first two paragraphs, as a lot of people fall into such trap with a parent or mentor when young. Any kind of a liberation, whether alone or with somebody who does not replace one's complete heart and soul is a powerful motif. I can relate to the "alone" kind more, but when phrased like this, the "with somebody" kind does not sound threatening as it normally would.

I also like the idea of them coming across the Naboo room and finding Ayesha's work.

7. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    This part brought great warmth to my heart and I loved the inclusion of Ayesha's work --- very well done.

8. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Very nice, I love the way you've shown that her freedom from the Emperor, and all those years of independence, have taught her to appreciate and enjoy art and beauty in a way she would have been discouraged from in her youth. I've always had a notion that if Mara had been left to grow up as normal, she would have been a creative soul (all that skill at dancing!) and the Emperor just squashed it. I can imagine Luke's influence helping her to rediscover that!

AzureAngel2, Gemma, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks all! @};- :) I always envision the new bond/relationship with Luke to be liberating and something to savor for the novelty and the love involved. :D And you know I had to bring Ayesha into the mix. ^:)^

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    very nice response to the poem. You are showing the great bond that's developing between Luke and Mara

Gemma, AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  11. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    You are a good weaver of stories! ^:)^

Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  12. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I love that poem, and this fic was a great response, with Mara being the "captain of her soul" even with the bond with Luke - because she chooses to be with him.

Loved the cameo of Ayesha's Naboo Room as well!

13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    :eek: How did I miss this? [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush]

Like Kahara, I loved the contrast between Mara's bond with the Emperor and her bond with Luke. I always thought that the unhealthy character of the former went a long way to explain why Mara had chosen to remain an emotional loner for as long as she did after TTT -- how could anyone want to open up their soul to someone after that? Great ficlet! =D=

(And yes, Mara was there for the unveiling. That's one of my "deleted scenes" :p)

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks -- [:D] The vulnerability and wonder of the L/M bond and the sweet things they bring to their relationship in the ways of growth for each - I love it! :D

Very astute insights about why Mara was an emotional loner for so long [face_thinking] =D= And why she cherished what her trading business represented. @};-

Gemma and Kahara like this.