main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

a new way to look at star wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by big_fat_yoda, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Luke is it's hero."

Perhaps you might want to explain why you think this is so?

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    GL has said this saga is all about the redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

To best understand the underlying mythology that went into the creation of Anakin/Vader and Luke- I highly recommend reading Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces." This book was one of the pinnacle pieces of work that inspired Lucas to write his story to begin with.

Yes, over the years the story changed, and the mor Lucas developed the arc of the story, he infused richer elements of mythology into the final products that we see onscreen today. He wanted to combine fun elements of the B-serial movies he loved as a kid w/ the richness of mythology. Lucas is a master of borrowing ideas and drawing inspiration from other great storytellers (Kirosawa) in making his own legendary tale.

There are 2 completely separate hero journeys that go on in in the SW saga.

1) Anakin Skywalker.

Anakin is the classic hero- he is destined to greatness due to his auspicious birth and immeasurable depths of power. He is 1/2 god who allows his human, emotional side control his actions.

It is the duality of Anakin's nature that makes him the most fascinating character in the entire saga. He IS the Chosen One of the ancient prophecy- the vergence in the Force centers around his being. Powers beyond what any living Jedi could comprehend are at his disposal- Anakin however, has no idea how to channel these powers and ultimately gets lead on an ill-advised power trip to try to fulfill the Prophecy.

It is his human nature that loves too deeply, and his yearning for possession that hinders him from true spiritual enlightenment.

Anakin's hero journey takes him down the road less traveled by the Jedi Order. He takes the most feared path of the Dark Side. His journey leaves a trail of destruction in his wake, but it takes Anakin's embracing the emptiness and loneliness of the Dark Side, in order for him to finally conquer it. Ultimately, Anakin has to learn that power and possessions (in his case, possession consists of his emotional attachments to people and his own feelings) are not the answers to salvation. It's only when he sees Luke sacrifice himself, and not be afraid to die all for the better good, that Anakin again resurfaces from his darkness.

2) Luke

Luke's journey is that of a father quest. He never knew his father. Because he is lacking the male central figure in his life, he feels incomplete. He fears nothing because he's open to anything life may throw in his direction. He was raised simply and has a pure heart.

In finally finding his father, it is up to Luke to decide what path he must take in his life. Does he follow in his father's footsteps? Or does he realize that his destiny is completely separate from his old mans? In the end, he choses not to follow his father. He would rather die heroically than become a servant to darkness.

Both to these hero journeys are well explained and laid out in "The Hero with a Thousand Faces."

Both men are heros in this tale. Luke, simply never gives into his darker emotions. He is the better Jedi of the 2.

3. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Ironically, Anakin and Luke become each others' heroes. (More than once for Anakin, actually.)

Also, don't forget that Luke did not go to the Emperor for the purpose of defeating him. It was actually for the rather selfish personal goal of redeeming his father. ;)

Luckily for the galaxy, this is exactly what was needed to enable Anakin to fulfill his destiny and the Prophecy, thus saving the galaxy.

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    MeBe

Very good points ;)

5. Alrowen

Alrowen Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2003
    "Yeah,but think about it,if Luke never went out to find and help Vader (Anikan Skywalker)
    Vader would have never turned back to the good side of things.Luke should get a little credit."

6. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    But this is true only because Lucas wrote it as such.

7. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    On a bit of a tangent, if anyone wants some brilliant insights into the Vader/Luke relationship during RotJ, get your hands on the RotJ Novelisation. All the EU/Canon crap aside, I just finished reading it and coming from the original story/screenplay there's a lot of extra bits and pieces in it that really flesh them and their ties to each other out really well.

I have a new-found respect for the father/son chat after Luke is captured and brought to Vader on Endor . ;)

8. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Is there more dialogue added to the chat, or is there simply a greater subtext from other sections.

BTW, have you heard the radio plays yet? I'd love to get my hands on those.

9. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    There's quite a bit of extra dialogue (eg: Vader comments further on Luke's new lightsaber and Luke says that he doesn't use Vaders anymore) and few extended and removed "scenes" but the subtext is generally far greater. I think novels always allow the reader to follow a characters thought track far easier than is possible on film (without a voice over etc which SW has always tried to avoid).

And I haven't heard the radio plays or read their scripts. If anyone knows where I can get my hands hold of them though.... :D

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Of course it can be sen as Anakin's story, and the PT had the potential to be fantastic, TPM means it won't be, so for me it'll always be Luke's story with the PT as a mixed-bag of a back story.

gez

11. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Q: How many characters are every episode of the story from start to finish?

A: Anakin, Obi Wan (if appearing as a ghost counts), C3P0, R2D2.

If the Star Wars saga has ONE main charcter, it is therefore one of those four.

Yeah, its R2-D2.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    They have the radio broadcasts on tape and cd- you can buy them at any bookstore. ANH is interesting because they played out the whole Biggs scene on Tatooine and Luke hanging w/ his friends at Toschi station. Also they play out Leia having her mind probbed.

13. Heavenly_Angel

Heavenly_Angel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    yeah, the entire SW saga is circled around and basically based on him. his life, his decendents, and all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.